NATION

PASSWORD

Islam Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Your opinion on Islam

Islam is a good religion
27%
Islam is a decent relgion
14%
Islam is meh
32%
Islam is bad
15%
Islam is evil
13%

Total votes : 136

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:43 pm

I have a question, is Allah the same God as the God of the Christians and the Jews? Or is He a different deity?
1 John 1:9

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:45 pm

Nordengrund wrote:I have a question, is Allah the same God as the God of the Christians and the Jews? Or is He a different deity?

He's basically Jupiter.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Sulamalik
Minister

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Nordengrund wrote:I have a question, is Allah the same God as the God of the Christians and the Jews? Or is He a different deity?

Allah is the arabic word for God. When a person says Allah, they are saying God. The God of the Qur'an is the same God of the Bible and the Torah. His nature is simply interpreted differently than Chirstanity or Judaism.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freiheit Reich wrote:"Economically disadvantaged and angry urban youth music."
Is that a nicer and more modern term to use?

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Sulamalik wrote:

Allah is the arabic word for God. When a person says Allah, they are saying God. The God of the Qur'an is the same God of the Bible and the Torah. He's nature is simply interpreted differently than Chirstanity or Judaism.

Okay, thank you clarifying.

I personally believed and still believe that they are the same person, but I was not entirely convinced.

What a shame
Attaché

Founded: Apr 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby What a shame » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Why is America so negative of Muslims? They seem nicer than most Christians.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:53 pm

What a shame wrote:Why is America so negative of Muslims? They seem nicer than most Christians.

^This. I am a Christian, but I actually agree to this.

New Tollan
Attaché

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tollan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:53 pm

What a shame wrote:Why is America so negative of Muslims? They seem nicer than most Christians.

People are people. There are bound to be very nice Muslims and Christians, as well as very rude Muslims and Christians.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:55 pm

It's a dick waving contest to see who can be bigger jerks.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:57 pm

I wouldn't say America is negative to Islam, I would say that some Americans are. It's natural for people to be hostile of the unknown, it's what kept us from being killed while we still lived in caves. Before the Muslims were the great big bad guy it was the Jews, the Irish, The Catholics, etc. However, this trend of xenophobia in America is slowly disappearing.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:01 pm

I love the Muslims.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Nordengrund wrote:I love the Muslims.

That's very nice, and I appreciate the bridge builiding effort, but it's not needed. There are some pretty evil Muslims out there, just as there's a lot of good ones too. What's most important is that we judge people, all people, by their actions, not their race or creed.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Does the phrase "World Trade Center" ring any bells?
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Coccygia wrote:

Uh uh uh. Stereotyping. Most Muslims are peace loving. We are fighting terrorists not the Muslims. Yes, the terrorists happen to be Muslim, but we did not declare war on the Muslims, we declare war on terrorism.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Coccygia wrote:

Do you believe all Muslims should be treated as terrorists who directly caused 9/11?
Last edited by Sulamalik on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:I love the Muslims.

That's very nice, and I appreciate the bridge builiding effort, but it's not needed. There are some pretty evil Muslims out there, just as there's a lot of good ones too. What's most important is that we judge people, all people, by their actions, not their race or creed.

I agree, there are evil Christians as well. I think Hitler was Catholic. I saw the Crusades as unnecessary and despite being a devout Christian, I think the Muslims were justified.

I used to be an Islamophobe until I studied Islam and got to know some Muslims in RL and in NS, and that totally changed my opinion of them.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Nordengrund wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

I agree, there are evil Christians as well. I think Hitler was Catholic. I saw the Crusades as unnecessary and despite being a devout Christian, I think the Muslims were justified.

I used to be an Islamophobe until I studied Islam and got to know some Muslims in RL and in NS, and that totally changed my opinion of them.

I don't think Hitler was Catholic.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:

I figured he was either Catholic or Agnostic Atheist.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:13 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Coccygia wrote:Does the phrase "World Trade Center" ring any bells?

Do you believe all Muslims should be treated as terrorists who directly caused 9/11?

That question is inept, to say nothing of predictable. Anyway, the guy asked why America is so negative about Muslims, and that's why. Not that we were altogether positive before that, but afterwards is when the US turned against Muslims.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

What a shame
Attaché

Founded: Apr 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby What a shame » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:21 pm

Coccygia wrote:

Right, because the actions of a few fully show the nature of many.

I have no idea what form of Islam Osama and his compatriots were from, but what about Sunni or Shiite Muslims? Should they be flamed because they had a few guys who did something wrong?

If that was the case, we should all hate Christians and Catholics. Why? Crusades.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Nordengrund wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

I don't think he was either. He was...strange to say the least.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:

I think I will look up what his religion was.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Nordengrund wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

I think I will look up what his religion was.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Norsklow
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Norsklow » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_ ... olf_Hitler

Adolf Hitler was raised by a Christian Catholic father and a devout Catholic mother; he ceased to participate in the sacraments after childhood. In his book Mein Kampf and in public speeches he often made statements that affirmed a belief in Christianity.[1][2] Prior to World War II Hitler had promoted "positive Christianity", a movement which purged Christianity of its Jewish elements and instilled it with Nazi philosophy.[3] According to the controversial collection of transcripts edited by Martin Bormann, titled Hitler's Table Talk, as well as the testimony of some intimates, Hitler had privately negative views of Christianity. Others reported he was a committed believer.[4][5]

A lapsed catholic. An apostate.
Joseph Stalin, 20 million plus dead -Mao-Tse-Dong, 40 million plus dead - Pol Pot, 2 million dead -Kim-Il-Sung, 5 million dead - Fidel Castro, 1 million dead.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing"

Don't call me Beny! Am I your Father or something? http://paanluelwel2011.wordpress.com/20 ... honorable/
And I way too young to be Beny bith.
NationStates: Because FOX is for douchebags.

Seres
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seres » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:32 pm

I've never seen any convincing evidence that islam is evil. If someone who believes this could make the case, I'd be thankful.

Most muslims I've seen seem to hate most islamic countries and they say they are going against islamic belief.
Last edited by Seres on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Let our worries disperse like clouds in a clear blue sky. Like a thief entering an empty house, bad thoughts can do no harm to an empty mind.”- Padmasambhava
"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.”-c.s. lewis
cosmopolitan/nationalistic: 37%
secular/religious: 28%
visionary/reactionary: 18%
anarchistc/authoritarian: 30%
communistic/capitalistic: 54%
pacifistic/militaristic: 8%
ecological/anthropological: 48%

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Coccygia wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:Do you believe all Muslims should be treated as terrorists who directly caused 9/11?

That question is inept, to say nothing of predictable. Anyway, the guy asked why America is so negative about Muslims, and that's why. Not that we were altogether positive before that, but afterwards is when the US turned against Muslims.

You're right, I apologize for making assumptions about your personal beliefs. I was wrong and shouldn't of asked that question.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General