NATION

PASSWORD

Islam Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Your opinion on Islam

Islam is a good religion
27%
Islam is a decent relgion
14%
Islam is meh
32%
Islam is bad
15%
Islam is evil
13%

Total votes : 136

Zaharawi
Envoy

Founded: Oct 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaharawi » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:10 pm

Norsklow wrote:Actually, I forgive you being Muslim because you are human. I have no reasonable excuse for demanding that other people be better than myself. I abstained from voting

Rhetorics aside, I find that for most religions, I like the practitioners a great deal more than I like their ideas. Probably because I like people more than Big Ideas.

You can not believe in one and not believe in the other. It is impossible. It is true that human nature is weak, by strengthen it through religion and spiritualist, we gain a sense of compassion. To believe in the good nature of human being is not subjective, but to understand how religion help shape that person is the key.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:28 pm

Islam is pretty awful. Jihad, abuse of women, contempt for unbelievers, etc. It is not all bad (for one thing, there's Sufism), and not all Muslims are bad, certainly, but it's got some horrible ideas, and way too many people who believe them. It beats even Xtianity for worst major religion.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Sulamalik
Minister

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Coccygia wrote:Islam is pretty awful. Jihad, abuse of women, contempt for unbelievers, etc. It is not all bad (for one thing, there's Sufism), and not all Muslims are bad, certainly, but it's got some horrible ideas, and way too many people who believe them. It beats even Xtianity for worst major religion.

Just wonderin', could you tell me what jihad means to you?
Freiheit Reich wrote:"Economically disadvantaged and angry urban youth music."
Is that a nicer and more modern term to use?

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Coccygia wrote:Islam is pretty awful. Jihad, abuse of women, contempt for unbelievers, etc. It is not all bad (for one thing, there's Sufism), and not all Muslims are bad, certainly, but it's got some horrible ideas, and way too many people who believe them. It beats even Xtianity for worst major religion.

Arabic for struggle. There are the concepts of higher jihad and lower jihad. It's basically doing something to help further Islam, or protect Islam.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Norsklow
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Norsklow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Zaharawi wrote:
Norsklow wrote:Actually, I forgive you being Muslim because you are human. I have no reasonable excuse for demanding that other people be better than myself. I abstained from voting

Rhetorics aside, I find that for most religions, I like the practitioners a great deal more than I like their ideas. Probably because I like people more than Big Ideas.

You can not believe in one and not believe in the other. It is impossible. It is true that human nature is weak, by strengthen it through religion and spiritualist, we gain a sense of compassion. To believe in the good nature of human being is not subjective, but to understand how religion help shape that person is the key.

Sorry, why not? People are not one, or two, or even three ideas.
I don't believe in the fundamental good nature of human beings, but I think that is beside the point. I believe that you are a person with neither lesser nor greater value than myself.
Joseph Stalin, 20 million plus dead -Mao-Tse-Dong, 40 million plus dead - Pol Pot, 2 million dead -Kim-Il-Sung, 5 million dead - Fidel Castro, 1 million dead.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing"

Don't call me Beny! Am I your Father or something? http://paanluelwel2011.wordpress.com/20 ... honorable/
And I way too young to be Beny bith.
NationStates: Because FOX is for douchebags.

New Tollan
Attaché

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tollan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:46 pm

Is Islam bad? Yes. Really bad. Just reading the Surahs, without even going onto the Hadith or Sira, or any of the divisions' texts, it's not great. Taking in the biography of Muhammed, it just seems like the religion of an 6th Century Arabian Joseph Smith.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:55 pm

New Tollan wrote:Is Islam bad? Yes. Really bad. Just reading the Surahs, without even going onto the Hadith or Sira, or any of the divisions' texts, it's not great. Taking in the biography of Muhammed, it just seems like the religion of an 6th Century Arabian Joseph Smith.

Muhammed wasn't Jesus Christ or a Sacred Cow or Joseph Smith. Muhammed with a paedophile, warrior-monk, conqueror, punk rawker. Muslims aren't instructed to be Muhammed-like, they're instructed to learn from what he said, and the actions he took, to find their Islam through the Qur'an and the Hadiths, and other Muslims, but most importantly from themselves.

Islam is a tool to further understand the mystery of God, and the Qur'an is just a very small piece of that huge puzzle.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:00 pm

Nordengrund wrote:
New Rogernomics wrote:In parts of Africa yes, but the reverse is the case in the rest of the world. Depends which religion is dominant, where Christianity is dominant it can be quite dangerous to follow another faith; Buddhism and Islam are quite dangerous to those that follow other religions where they are dominant too.

As far as I know, Buddhism is a peaceful religion. I have never heard of violent Buddhists.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/ ... 6A20120615
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

New Tollan
Attaché

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tollan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
New Tollan wrote:Is Islam bad? Yes. Really bad. Just reading the Surahs, without even going onto the Hadith or Sira, or any of the divisions' texts, it's not great. Taking in the biography of Muhammed, it just seems like the religion of an 6th Century Arabian Joseph Smith.

Muhammed wasn't Jesus Christ or a Sacred Cow or Joseph Smith. Muhammed with a paedophile, warrior-monk, conqueror, punk rawker. Muslims aren't instructed to be Muhammed-like, they're instructed to learn from what he said, and the actions he took, to find their Islam through the Qur'an and the Hadiths, and other Muslims, but most importantly from themselves.

Islam is a tool to further understand the mystery of God, and the Qur'an is just a very small piece of that huge puzzle.

Great. I'm glad that some Muslims don't take Muhammed as a monolithic figure to be worshipped. It doesn't change the fact that the Qu'ran solely is rather scary, more horrifying than the Pentateuch.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:11 pm

Sulamalik wrote:

A struggle of any sort. A holy war, Gandhi's independence movement, trying not to masturbate in the morning, so on.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:15 pm

New Tollan wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

Great. I'm glad that some Muslims don't take Muhammed as a monolithic figure to be worshipped. It doesn't change the fact that the Qu'ran solely is rather scary, more horrifying than the Pentateuch.

I'm pretty sure no Muslims worship Muhammed like a deity, that would kinda run contrary to the whole reason why Muhammed isn't depicted in portraits. So people don't try to raise his importance above that of a man like my mainbro JC.

The thing 'bout the Qur'an is, it's really a blank slate open to your interpretation. If you read it looking for it to be a terrorists go-to-guide it's gonna read like a terrorists go-to-guide. If you read it as a book of peace, well, it'll read like a peaceful book. What's important to know is that a person's Islam is shaped by their underlying personality, not the other way around.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Norsklow
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Norsklow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Hear hear!

One question: what about the prophet being displayed/enacted on TV?
Last edited by Norsklow on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Stalin, 20 million plus dead -Mao-Tse-Dong, 40 million plus dead - Pol Pot, 2 million dead -Kim-Il-Sung, 5 million dead - Fidel Castro, 1 million dead.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing"

Don't call me Beny! Am I your Father or something? http://paanluelwel2011.wordpress.com/20 ... honorable/

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Norsklow wrote:Hear hear!

One question: what about the prophet being displayed/enacted on TV?

Heh, I remember an Arab movie a while back that depicted the life of Muhammed. The way that got past that particular problem was filming the entire movie from his Point of View.

Islam has some pretty strict rulings against Icons, of course it's impossible to actually stick by the letter 100% of the time (see: crescent moons, calligraphy, etc). When violence erupts from depictions of the prophet it's almost always a classic case of people doing it wrong. By bullying a cartoon artist into retracting his freedom of expression, all it does is wrongly promote Muhammed as some sort of holy Jesus-like being while delegitimizing Islam's status as a religion of peace.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norsklow
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Norsklow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:34 pm

I saw a film on TV in Arabic which I presume depicted Muhammad. Someone being very wise, and polite, and peaceful, and living in the 7th century CE and all that, Urdu subtitles.
The people who were avidly watching it had lots of green - call it hachimotos,strips of cloth - around their heads.

I have no opinion of the nature of their particular interpretation of Islam, but I did notice that none of them had anything like a Castro beard.

But you did get me wondering about that, having him enacted and all.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Norsklow wrote:I saw a film on TV in Arabic which I presume depicted Muhammad. Someone being very wise, and polite, and peaceful, and living in the 7th century CE and all that, Urdu subtitles.
The people who were avidly watching it had lots of green - call it hachimotos,strips of cloth - around their heads.

I have no opinion of the nature of their particular interpretation of Islam, but I did notice that none of them had anything like a Castro beard.

But you did get me wondering about that, having him enacted and all.

Very interesting. Due to the nature of most Islamic film studios, a realistic/non-biased account of such an important figure like the Prophet is hard to get past the idea stage. And what with the current political climate, western film producers won't touch the subject with a sixty foot pole.

Even books are heavily censored, whether through pressure from the Islamic community or self censorship from within. This "off-limits" attitude by Muslims and non-Muslims alike is entirely self-destructive and doesn't help anyone. Islam as a culture needs criticism, honest criticism, to grow and prosper.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

A struggle of any sort. A holy war, Gandhi's independence movement, trying not to masturbate in the morning, so on.
I don't like Gandhi's economic policies, they were disastrous for India; the whole 'industrialization is evil' position set back India for many years, and kept people in poverty.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:51 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:A struggle of any sort. A holy war, Gandhi's independence movement, trying not to masturbate in the morning, so on.
I don't like Gandhi's economic policies, they were disastrous for India; the whole 'industrialization is evil' position set back India for many years, and kept people in poverty.

I don't particularly like those positions either. He was pretty racist to black people in his youth as well. Nobody said he was a perfect saint, just a nice guy.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:52 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:A struggle of any sort. A holy war, Gandhi's independence movement, trying not to masturbate in the morning, so on.

That's fair, but this thread is about discussing Islam, not economics. :)

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:55 pm

One issue I have with Islam is the ban on interreligious marriage and homosexuality, which generally does not sit well with me. I also have an issue with the laws on blasphemy laws in many Islamic states, but I don't recall the Koran in particular speaking about blasphemy. Then again, I read it a long, long time ago.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Bordurian
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bordurian » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:57 pm

I like Islam. Their Muhammad teaches the same basic principles as Jesus. They follow the same God. I find no reason to dislike them.
Signed: Stefan III of Bordurian Grand Duke of Małapolska Duke of Bratislava Lord of Bohemia Baron of Zakopane, order of the Bear and of the Holy cross, His Holy Catholic Majesty Stefan III
Left -2.69
Authoritarian 3.45
[/floatleft]
Winners of the Free South Califas Roller Hockey Tournament
Participant in the 61st cup of Harmony,the 48th Baptisim of
Fire, the 19th Rugby Union world cup and World Cup 62
History, Geography, Reading, European
holidays, running, soccer, golf and Badminton

Gaveo
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaveo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Ah I keep getting muslim dating site ads!!!
*ahem* Anyways, I view Islam as a meh religion only because it doesn't treat women well and other social issues other than that Islam is just like any other religion a good religion.
Bruh.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:59 pm

Gaveo wrote:Ah I keep getting muslim dating site ads!!!
*ahem* Anyways, I view Islam as a meh religion only because it doesn't treat women well and other social issues other than that Islam is just like any other religion a good religion.

Islam was quite progressive at its founding. Many Islamic countries have regressed on those issues since a thousand years ago.

Mind you, I still have a lot of problems with it.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Gaveo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaveo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:01 pm

Sulamalik wrote:

:rofl:
Bruh.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:02 pm

Gaveo wrote:

:rofl:

That is a serious jihad, let me tell you.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Gaveo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gaveo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Gaveo wrote:Ah I keep getting muslim dating site ads!!!

Islam was quite progressive at its founding. Many Islamic countries have regressed on those issues since a thousand years ago.

Mind you, I still have a lot of problems with it.

Yep I think my heritage was Islamic because my family origin was from Lebanon... But to get back to the point (i think...) what do you mean that Islam is quite progressive... (Yes I know that they won't kill or jail a man for stealing bread when the victim had tons of bread)
Bruh.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General