NATION

PASSWORD

Islam Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Your opinion on Islam

Islam is a good religion
27%
Islam is a decent relgion
14%
Islam is meh
32%
Islam is bad
15%
Islam is evil
13%

Total votes : 136

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Norsklow wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Adolf_Hitler

Adolf Hitler was raised by a Christian Catholic father and a devout Catholic mother; he ceased to participate in the sacraments after childhood. In his book Mein Kampf and in public speeches he often made statements that affirmed a belief in Christianity.[1][2] Prior to World War II Hitler had promoted "positive Christianity", a movement which purged Christianity of its Jewish elements and instilled it with Nazi philosophy.[3] According to the controversial collection of transcripts edited by Martin Bormann, titled Hitler's Table Talk, as well as the testimony of some intimates, Hitler had privately negative views of Christianity. Others reported he was a committed believer.[4][5]

A lapsed catholic. An apostate.

Ah, so he was a Catholic.
1 John 1:9

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:35 pm

What a shame wrote:
Coccygia wrote:Does the phrase "World Trade Center" ring any bells?

Right, because the actions of a few fully show the nature of many.

I have no idea what form of Islam Osama and his compatriots were from, but what about Sunni or Shiite Muslims? Should they be flamed because they had a few guys who did something wrong?

If that was the case, we should all hate Christians and Catholics. Why? Crusades.

Oh, another one who automatically accuses me of blaming all Muslims, never mind that I said nothing remotely of the sort, did I now? Just so's you know, Osama & his boys were Wahhabi Muslims, an extreme form of Sunni Islam.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Nordengrund wrote:

I can already foresee Arch coming in here to explain how Hitler wasn't Catholic.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Seres
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seres » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Norsklow wrote:

http://library.flawlesslogic.com/religion.htm

"The heaviest blow that ever struck humanity was the coming of Christianity. Bolshevism is Christianity's illegitimate child. Both are inventions of the Jew. The deliberate lie in the matter of religion was introduced into the world by Christianity. Bolshevism practices a lie of the same nature, when it claims to bring liberty to men, whereas in reality it seeks only to enslave them. In the ancient world, the relations between men and gods were founded on an instinctive respect. It was a world enlightened by the idea of tolerance. Christianity was the first creed in the world to exterminate its adversaries in the name of love. Its keynote is intolerance."

Hitler disliked Christianity.
Last edited by Seres on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Let our worries disperse like clouds in a clear blue sky. Like a thief entering an empty house, bad thoughts can do no harm to an empty mind.”- Padmasambhava
"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.”-c.s. lewis
cosmopolitan/nationalistic: 37%
secular/religious: 28%
visionary/reactionary: 18%
anarchistc/authoritarian: 30%
communistic/capitalistic: 54%
pacifistic/militaristic: 8%
ecological/anthropological: 48%

Sulamalik
Minister

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Seres wrote:

http://library.flawlesslogic.com/religion.htm

"The heaviest blow that ever struck humanity was the coming of Christianity. Bolshevism is Christianity's illegitimate child. Both are inventions of the Jew. The deliberate lie in the matter of religion was introduced into the world by Christianity. Bolshevism practices a lie of the same nature, when it claims to bring liberty to men, whereas in reality it seeks only to enslave them. In the ancient world, the relations between men and gods were founded on an instinctive respect. It was a world enlightened by the idea of tolerance. Christianity was the first creed in the world to exterminate its adversaries in the name of love. Its keynote is intolerance."

Hitler disliked Christianity.

The religion of Hitler really doesn't have any bearing to this discussion. The crimes he committed were for secular reasons. Even if he used Catholicism as a justification for the holocaust (which some Nazi's did) it wouldn't reflect back onto Christianity.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freiheit Reich wrote:"Economically disadvantaged and angry urban youth music."
Is that a nicer and more modern term to use?

What a shame
Attaché

Founded: Apr 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby What a shame » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Coccygia wrote:
What a shame wrote:
Right, because the actions of a few fully show the nature of many.

I have no idea what form of Islam Osama and his compatriots were from, but what about Sunni or Shiite Muslims? Should they be flamed because they had a few guys who did something wrong?

If that was the case, we should all hate Christians and Catholics. Why? Crusades.

Oh, another one who automatically accuses me of blaming all Muslims, never mind that I said nothing remotely of the sort, did I now? Just so's you know, Osama & his boys were Wahhabi Muslims, an extreme form of Sunni Islam.

Oh, I see. I apologize. Usually when someone uses the argument of the WTC attacks as a reason to hate Muslims, they're usually (in my experience) anti-Islamic.

Thomas Insaniac
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Thomas Insaniac » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:39 pm

(I should mention, I was born a Muslim.)

The Religion has many flaws, it's nowhere near the best and it's not the worst religion around.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:40 pm

Sulamalik wrote:The religion of Hitler really doesn't have any bearing to this discussion. The crimes he committed were for secular reasons. Even if he used Catholicism as a justification for the holocaust (which some Nazi's did) it wouldn't reflect back onto Christianity.

The problem is that Christianity made the anti-Semitism much easier for the German public to accept. Anti-semitism by Christians in Germany was already rather engraved into the culture at the time in the first place, to the point that many Nazis did believe that they were "doing the Lord's work."
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:43 pm

What a shame wrote:
Coccygia wrote:Oh, another one who automatically accuses me of blaming all Muslims, never mind that I said nothing remotely of the sort, did I now? Just so's you know, Osama & his boys were Wahhabi Muslims, an extreme form of Sunni Islam.

Oh, I see. I apologize. Usually when someone uses the argument of the WTC attacks as a reason to hate Muslims, they're usually (in my experience) anti-Islamic.

You ninnyhammer, I wasn't saying why I hate Muslims (I don't) but why the US hates Muslims, and I did not say it was justifiable. I realize such a subtle distinction is beyond most of the folks in this thread. YOU WANNA ARGUE THE POINT I ACTUALLY MADE AND NOT SOMETHING ELSE, OK? GOD I AM TIRED OF THIS "YOU HATE ALL MUZLIMZ" CRAP YOU BRAIN DEAD IMBECILES!

Thank you for your time and have a NICE day! :)
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:The religion of Hitler really doesn't have any bearing to this discussion. The crimes he committed were for secular reasons. Even if he used Catholicism as a justification for the holocaust (which some Nazi's did) it wouldn't reflect back onto Christianity.

The problem is that Christianity made the anti-Semitism much easier for the German public to accept. Anti-semitism by Christians in Germany was already rather engraved into the culture at the time in the first place, to the point that many Nazis did believe that they were "doing the Lord's work."

Yes, but it was Christians who committed the holocaust, not Christianity. Jesus was a Jew who observed Jewish traditions. If more Catholics acted like their Christ the world wouldn't have so many problems ;) .

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

Yes, but it was Christians who committed the holocaust, not Christianity. Jesus was a Jew who observed Jewish traditions. If more Catholics acted like their Christ the world wouldn't have so many problems ;) .

Not it was Nazis who committed the holocaust, the christian part of them wasn't really a big part of there reasoning, they might have been christian but I would use the word Nazi because that's really what it comes down to.
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Norsklow
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Norsklow » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Nordengrund wrote:

Not after he lapsed. As in: ceasing to be a Christian.
Joseph Stalin, 20 million plus dead -Mao-Tse-Dong, 40 million plus dead - Pol Pot, 2 million dead -Kim-Il-Sung, 5 million dead - Fidel Castro, 1 million dead.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing"

Don't call me Beny! Am I your Father or something? http://paanluelwel2011.wordpress.com/20 ... honorable/
And I way too young to be Beny bith.
NationStates: Because FOX is for douchebags.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Coccygia wrote:
What a shame wrote:

You ninnyhammer, I wasn't saying why I hate Muslims (I don't) but why the US hates Muslims, and I did not say it was justifiable. I realize such a subtle distinction is beyond most of the folks in this thread. YOU WANNA ARGUE THE POINT I ACTUALLY MADE AND NOT SOMETHING ELSE, OK? GOD I AM TIRED OF THIS "YOU HATE ALL MUZLIMZ" CRAP YOU BRAIN DEAD IMBECILES!

He apologized for the mistake, you don't have to get upset.

No one's forcing you to contribute to this thread. You haven't really added any meaningful discussion since you've posted here. Maybe you should try another thread?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Sulamalik wrote:Yes, but it was Christians who committed the holocaust, not Christianity. Jesus was a Jew who observed Jewish traditions. If more Catholics acted like their Christ the world wouldn't have so many problems ;) .

Personally I don't like Jesus' philosophy at all.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:46 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

Not it was Nazis who committed the holocaust, the christian part of them wasn't really a big part of there reasoning, they might have been christian but I would use the word Nazi because that's really what it comes down to.

Yes. That is actually my exact point.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:47 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:Yes, but it was Christians who committed the holocaust, not Christianity. Jesus was a Jew who observed Jewish traditions. If more Catholics acted like their Christ the world wouldn't have so many problems ;) .

Personally I don't like Jesus' philosophy at all.

That's fair. Many people in the world don't either.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:47 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:

Yes. That is actually my exact point.

oh woops your right my bad :)
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:48 pm

North Calaveras wrote:

Many of them were Christian. And many of them did have "Gott Mit Uns" on their belts. It's obvious that Christianity was a large part of the culture and it allowed anti-Semitism to flourish. I'm not going to argue that "CHRISTIANITY TEH EBUL" though.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Coccygia wrote:You ninnyhammer, I wasn't saying why I hate Muslims (I don't) but why the US hates Muslims, and I did not say it was justifiable. I realize such a subtle distinction is beyond most of the folks in this thread. YOU WANNA ARGUE THE POINT I ACTUALLY MADE AND NOT SOMETHING ELSE, OK? GOD I AM TIRED OF THIS "YOU HATE ALL MUZLIMZ" CRAP YOU BRAIN DEAD IMBECILES!

No one's forcing you to contribute to this thread. You haven't really added any meaningful discussion since you've posted here. Maybe you should try another thread?

I took his "apology" as sarcasm, and in any case he wasn't the only one. You were the other.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:50 pm

Coccygia wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

I took his "apology" as sarcasm, and in any case he wasn't the only one. You were the other.

VV---VV

Sulamalik wrote:
Coccygia wrote:That question is inept, to say nothing of predictable. Anyway, the guy asked why America is so negative about Muslims, and that's why. Not that we were altogether positive before that, but afterwards is when the US turned against Muslims.

You're right, I apologize for making assumptions about your personal beliefs. I was wrong and shouldn't of asked that question.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pravengria
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pravengria » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:52 pm

I think the Quran is quite a piece of work, and the scientific advancements made through Islam in the middle ages and such is quite extraordinary when looking at backwards Europe. Do I agree with 'Islamic' governments today? No. And I can't stand Islamophobia.
Federated Commonwealth of Pravengria
Foreign Affairs
CyberSel Group

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Pravengria wrote:I think the Quran is quite a piece of work, and the scientific advancements made through Islam in the middle ages and such is quite extraordinary when looking at backwards Europe. Do I agree with 'Islamic' governments today? No. And I can't stand Islamophobia.

Ehhh, I have trouble attributing such things to "Islam." It's a human achievement, and the people happened to be Muslim.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Pravengria wrote:I think the Quran is quite a piece of work, and the scientific advancements made through Islam in the middle ages and such is quite extraordinary when looking at backwards Europe. Do I agree with 'Islamic' governments today? No. And I can't stand Islamophobia.

Ehhh, I have trouble attributing such things to "Islam." It's a human achievement, and the people happened to be Muslim.

Perhaps not by the religion itself, but I'd say Islam inspired culture help foster an appreciation for the arts and sciences in the Middle East. Islam advanced science in the same way Catholicism retarded science in Europe.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pravengria
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pravengria » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Mavorpen wrote:

True, but when you compare it in to geographical terms and then look at the culture and such. Europe under the Catholic church was ass-backwards like hell, pardon the pun. While the Muslim kingdoms seemed to flourish quite well.
Federated Commonwealth of Pravengria
Foreign Affairs
CyberSel Group

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

Perhaps not by the religion itself, but I'd say Islam inspired culture help foster an appreciation for the arts and sciences in the Middle East. Islam advanced science in the same way Catholicism retarded science in Europe.

I don't think that's how it works. Neil DeGrasse Tyson puts it best.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General