NATION

PASSWORD

Dubbing or subbing?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which one is better?

Dubbing
18%
Subtitles
79%
Real men don't need any kind of translations!
3%

Total votes : 145

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Considering that I have the subtitles on even when I'm watching something in English (no, my ears work perfectly fine), subtitles, by a long stretch.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Continentalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Continentalia » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:18 pm

Whenever I see a dubbed movie, I feel like it's the exact same people doing the translating.
Maybe posting in every single thread will make us wise.

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:21 pm

I've seen some decent dubs in my time. Cowboy Bebop, for instance. I can't get into Spike's Japanese voice. But as a whole, dubs are usually terrible, especially when dealing with Asian languages. Subs are much better.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Ragonia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 14, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Ragonia » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Anything live-action I prefer subtitled, mostly because the out-of-sync voices bug me. Animated programs and films I don't mind being dubbed, although generally I find English voice-acting to be far superior to that of any other language, so I'd prefer dubbed versions of any foreign animations except American and British ones.
Ermahgerd, soshulism and cermunism!
Mitt Romney 2012

Xoriet
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Xoriet » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Subbing for the win.
Senator of Diplomatic Affairs of the New Pacific Order

This flame we carry into battle
A fading memory
This light will conquer the darkness
Shining bright for all to see

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:47 am

Olthar wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Also because I think, and this is a personal point of view, that by dubbing, the hard work of the original actors is lost. Or isn't respected enough.

Unless you're going to watch every version of a show that's available, I don't think you can really use that argument. The Japanese aren't the only people in the world who work hard, and wholesale ignoring the English and other language dubs could be seen as just as "disrespectful" to them.

Really, though, I think the entire thing is kinda silly. Voice actors work in the entertainment industry where the entire purpose is to entertain. If you don't like what they do, then just don't watch it. They're not going to be upset. So, just watch whichever dubbing you want.

Not sure why you're getting all hot and bothered about. *shrug*

I think dubbing is not the way to go, plain and simple. I prefer subtitles to dubbing any day, for foreign language movies and series (not just Japanese). I prefer to watch something in the original language it was filmed, with subtitles. Seems more legitimate to me than watching a dubbed version of the film/series/animation/what have you.

If you like dubbing, hey, knock yourself out. No one's stopping you from watching all the dubbed media you want to, same as no one's stopping me from watching something subbed because that's, well, my preference. Is there something wrong about that? Not at all.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

The USOT
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:53 am

I have no issue with dubbing tbh. Unless the voice sounds ridiculous, I still only care about the plot.
Eco-Friendly Green Cyborg Santa Claus

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Peter Timmerman, “Defending Materialism"

Vetok
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Vetok » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:16 am

Subtitles. I saw Crouching, Tiger Hidden Dragon subtitled and I know I wouldn't like it dubbed, because to me it wouldn't retain the 'purity' of the original film. Same goes for any live-action foreign films I watch. As for anime, I find watching it with an English dub painfully embarrassing because of how some lines sound in English. Someone else mentioned Black Lagoon's Revy VA trying to speak English in the Second Barrage, but they're expecting a Japanese voice actor to be able to pull off the accent of a Chinese-American from New York who's lived in Thailand for years. Surely they didn't expect it to be perfect?

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:19 am

Salandriagado wrote:Considering that I have the subtitles on even when I'm watching something in English (no, my ears work perfectly fine)

I as well.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:46 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:Considering that I have the subtitles on even when I'm watching something in English (no, my ears work perfectly fine)

I as well.

My sister does it as well. Doesn't it spoil punchlines in comedies and stuff?
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Rocopurr
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rocopurr » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:00 am

I almost always prefer subbing. Dubbing tends to change words around more than neccesary, and I like hearing different languages.
speed weed ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )ᕗ

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:02 am

DesAnges wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:
I as well.

My sister does it as well. Doesn't it spoil punchlines in comedies and stuff?

Not really.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:41 am

Salandriagado wrote:
DesAnges wrote:My sister does it as well. Doesn't it spoil punchlines in comedies and stuff?

Not really.

Fair enough.

In the UK you get about 4 seconds of dialogue on the page at once, so you get the set-up, the reply and the punchline. It sucks.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:44 am

Patriqvinia wrote:Definitely. I couldn't watch the dubbed One Piece because Monkey is annoying as hell.

Seriously.

This.

vs.

This.

The dubbed would have completely destroyed the second video.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:45 am

Subtitles are far superior. Dubbing just sounds weird, imo.
Last edited by Arumdaum on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:48 pm

DesAnges wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Not really.

Fair enough.

In the UK you get about 4 seconds of dialogue on the page at once, so you get the set-up, the reply and the punchline. It sucks.

I've never really had that problem much (though they do occasionally decide to jump to the top of the screen for no reason), but it could just be that I don't watch too much comedy on the TV.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General