NATION

PASSWORD

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Has Obama done enough to merit the Nobel Peace Prize?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 388

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:31 am

Sdaeriji wrote:And if they had said they gave him the award for getting elected, instead of scrapping the anti-missile shield, you might have a point.

You think he'd have been nominated if he lost to McCain? Color me skeptical.
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:32 am

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:And if they had said they gave him the award for getting elected, instead of scrapping the anti-missile shield, you might have a point.

Purple dishwasher television touch smelly action xylophone?
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:34 am

Sdaeriji wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:

Stunning retort.
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:35 am

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:

Stunning retort.

I responded to nonsense with nonsense. Don't like my random response? Don't ask random questions.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:36 am

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:

Stunning retort.

Didn't he say the same thing you'd just said?

Or does it just look like it...
I identify as
a problem

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:37 am

Sdaeriji wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:

Stunning retort.

I responded to nonsense with nonsense. Don't like my random response? Don't ask random questions.

How is that a "random question?" :eyebrow:

Oh, that's right... cuz you don't want to answer it :roll:

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:38 am

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:

Stunning retort.

How is that a "random question?" :eyebrow:

Oh, that's right... cuz you don't want to answer it :roll:

Ah, another idiotic question.

No, I don't think he would have been nominated if he had lost to McCain. Now, if you'd be so kind as to point out what the hell that has to do with what I posted, I'd be much obliged.

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:39 am

Sdaeriji wrote:Ah, another idiotic question.

No, I don't think he would have been nominated if he had lost to McCain. Now, if you'd be so kind as to point out what the hell that has to do with what I posted, I'd be much obliged.

I don't suppose it occurred to you that I'm bringing up what's known in the World of Conversation as a "new point?"

I'm suggesting that he wasn't awarded the prize just because he got elected, but that said election certainly had a lot to do with it.
Last edited by Melkor Unchained on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:40 am

United Russian State wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
It says it was you that posted that question, but you seem unaware. Perhaps you should check with the admins and see if someone is using your account without your knowledge

Every time a new elected USA president is elected tension are decreased for a time, even when bush was elected. :o

You cannot judge nto see if they did good as a world leader or not, until they finsh their term. I aslo gave you people two exemples where we is increasing tensions in part of the world, by expanding war. Yet you ignore this fact as if it means nothing.

The Prize wasn't awarded for being 'a good world leader'. I already posted what the requirements are, and you have it right from the horse's mouth how they think the requirements were fulfilled.

Than they need to re look at the requirments. Seeing how he has done nothing to earn the reward. If it was called the Nobel War Prize than yes he did earn that one.

They did look at the requirements which - as I said - I have already posted in the thread. Obama's efforts towards nuclear reduction, alone, would qualify. His moves towards reduction of missile deployments also qualify, as does his general policy of diplomacy, especially in the Middle East. He qualifies on at least three specific correlations to the requirements.

Now, you can say that other people have ALSO made gestures towards peace (after all, Obama can't be diplomatic if all doors are closed), but the US is the single biggest sovereign agency in the game. A gesture by America is 'worth' gestures by ten other countries.
I identify as
a problem

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:42 am

Melkor Unchained wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:Ah, another idiotic question.

I don't suppose it occurred to you that I'm bringing up what's known in the World of Conversation as a "new point?"

I'm suggesting that he wasn't awarded the prize just because he got elected, but that said election certainly had a lot to do with it.

Ah, so you felt like pointing out the obvious. Obviously, if he weren't elected president, he wouldn't have been in a position to do the things that the committee said influenced them to make their decision. Thank you. I hear the sky is blue. Confirm/deny?

United Russian State
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:49 am

greed and death wrote:What is really funny is to win this year he had to be nominated before February 3rd. So technically he won based off of less then 1 month in office.

what?

What idiotic reason did they give back than?
Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
State of War: Chernobyl-Pripyat
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
Join Pan-Slavic Union State!
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 am

Sdaeriji wrote:Ah, so you felt like pointing out the obvious.

You'd be surprised how often this needs to be done.

But if it's unlikely he'd have been nominated had he lost, I think this (I'm not saying you've said it, but I'm pretty sure someone else has) would somewhat marginalize the "but he did a lot of nuke nonproliferation stuff as a Senator" argument for Obama deserving a NPP. Way back towards the beginning of the thread someone mentioned how they thought the award was more or less a condemnation of Bush America, and I agree; I just don't think that's a particularly good motivator for handing out a NPP.

This might be hard for some people to believe, but I don't really have anything against Obama: considering the short duration of his administration, I don't really feel qualified to evaluate it objectively yet. I'm not sure I agree with his stated aims, I think he's vain and many of his followers are slavish, but none of that is anything new under the sun for American politicians. I don't blame him for getting the NPP--how can you?--and I also don't think he was really doing much of anything to go out of his way to get it like some other people have. But I mean, really now. Why the need to give it to him so soon? I think the (premature) awarding of the NPP to Obama is likely to do more harm than good, as I've said before, in that it will give the opposition something else to complain about and will strengthen the 'Obammesiah" rhetoric.
Last edited by Melkor Unchained on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:54 am

greed and death wrote:What is really funny is to win this year he had to be nominated before February 3rd. So technically he won based off of less then 1 month in office.

what?

A speech he did in the Czech Republic, I believe.
End the Modigarchy now.

United Russian State
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:00 am

They did look at the requirements which - as I said - I have already posted in the thread. Obama's efforts towards nuclear reduction, alone, would qualify. His moves towards reduction of missile deployments also qualify, as does his general policy of diplomacy, especially in the Middle East. He qualifies on at least three specific correlations to the requirements.

No, it doesn't, it is stupid to even say this this. One incase if you haven't notice America is not the only country with nukes. No in fact it only has the 2nd largest number of nukes as well. President Medvedev had as much to do with reducation of nuclear weapons as Obama. As well as the Iskander missiles not being deployed. Where is his peace prize? He didn't get one, why?

You fail to give me exemples once again how your belovent leader did anything for the Middle East to bring peace in a real way. But he has expanded war, such as expansion of missile attacks and sending in more troops. So no he no longer qualifies for it.

but the US is the single biggest sovereign agency in the game. A gesture by America is 'worth' gestures by ten other countries.

Bullshit. America is no special in any way and does not play a role bigger than many countries let alone ten. Not to mention if you forgotten China holds all of it's debt so it can easily control many of it's moves.
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 am

what?

No clue the nomination process is sealed for 50 years.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

United Russian State
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:03 am

Yootopia wrote:

what?

Great, now words are enough to win the nobel peace prize. :palm:

Was that the speech where he noted how much ignorannce there is in America? :lol: :clap:
Last edited by United Russian State on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information

Les Drapeaux Brulants
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Les Drapeaux Brulants » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:31 pm

Yootopia wrote:

what?

Was that the speech where he noted how much ignorannce there is in America? :lol: :clap:

From what the Nobel committee says, yes, words are enough...

"We simply disagree that he has done nothing," committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland told the AP on Tuesday. "He got the prize for what he has done."

Jagland singled out Obama's efforts to heal the divide between the West and the Muslim world and scale down a Bush-era proposal for an anti-missile shield in Europe.

"All these things have contributed to — I wouldn't say a safer world — but a world with less tension," Jagland said by phone from the French city of Strasbourg, where he was attending meetings in his other role as secretary-general of the Council of Europe.

Of course, Obama has done something... He has pandered to the anti-Bush sentiment that runs rampant in Europe. Otherwise, this would just be a Seinfeld episode.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:50 pm

what?

That was just the nomination. Keep your hair on.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:52 pm

Yootopia wrote:

what?

Words always were. If I were you, I'd be wary of talking about 'ignorance in America' while discussing a topic you're rather obviously pretty ignorant of.
I identify as
a problem

Hiddenrun
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hiddenrun » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:55 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:

Weren't you one of the people crying about the word 'idiotic' before? Or was that just GnI?
Holder of unpopular opinions.

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:56 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:

Weren't you one of the people crying about the word 'idiotic' before? Or was that just GnI?

He's been deploying the word against me on a regular basis, I assume to prove a point. And, I can only imagine, because he also thinks my arguments/opinions are idiotic.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:10 pm

what?

The nomination process takes place in February.

Obama was inaugurated on the 20th January.

By the 22nd of January, Obama had already signed executive orders to shut down Guantanamo Bay AND to ban the torture procedures previously 'allowed' by the prior regime.

On January 27th, Obama did his "Americans are not your enemy" interview, on Al-Arabiya

On January 28th, Obama's administration was already having three-party talks with Israel and Palestine.

On February 1st, Obama pledged to have brought home most of the 140,000 troops in Iraq by the next year.

Not to mention, Obama's campaign prominently featured improved ties in the Middle East, drawing down troops in Iraq, and overturning the illegal detentions and torture of the Bush administration.

By the time the nominations were made, there was MORE than enough reason for the selection committee to consider Obama an eligible candidate.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:21 pm

United Russian State wrote:No, it doesn't, it is stupid to even say this this. One incase if you haven't notice America is not the only country with nukes.

Nukes are not the only measure of military strength. Just one factor.

United Russian State wrote:No in fact it only has the 2nd largest number of nukes as well. President Medvedev had as much to do with reducation of nuclear weapons as Obama.

No, not really. Only in the direct conference between Russia and the US.

United Russian State wrote:Where is his peace prize? He didn't get one, why?

Probably because of his active opposition to bringing a resolution with Iran, etc.

Now, that's not to say that Russia hasn't made some big gestures SINCE the nomination - offering to help the Iranian program so that Iran can keep working on nuclear technology without the explicit threat of nuclear armament is a big gesture. It could even net Russia a prize after the NEXT round of nominations, maybe. But it's too late for this round.

United Russian State wrote:You fail to give me exemples once again how your belovent leader did anything for the Middle East to bring peace in a real way. But he has expanded war, such as expansion of missile attacks and sending in more troops. So no he no longer qualifies for it.

Do you mean Afghanistan?

(That's not in the Middle East).

I like the 'benevolent leader' swipe. Very subtle. Hardly (f)lamebait, at all.

United Russian State wrote:Bullshit. America is no special in any way and does not play a role bigger than many countries let alone ten. Not to mention if you forgotten China holds all of it's debt so it can easily control many of it's moves.

America is, indeed, special.

That's not partisanship talking - that's the simple mathematical fact that the US spends about as much on it's defence budget as EVERY OTHER NATION combined.

The nearest contendor is China. The US spends almost ten times as much as.

So - yes, the US plays a HUGE part in the defence arena. As I said, the American contribution is worth 10 iother nations... and that's being GENEROUS.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:

I was 'crying' about the word idiotic?

How did I get involved in your decision to involve yourself in two other people's discussion?

Flamebait.
I identify as
a problem

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:

what?

The nomination process takes place in February.

Obama was inaugurated on the 20th January.

By the 22nd of January, Obama had already signed executive orders to shut down Guantanamo Bay AND to ban the torture procedures previously 'allowed' by the prior regime.

On January 27th, Obama did his "Americans are not your enemy" interview, on Al-Arabiya

On January 28th, Obama's administration was already having three-party talks with Israel and Palestine.

On February 1st, Obama pledged to have brought home most of the 140,000 troops in Iraq by the next year.

Not to mention, Obama's campaign prominently featured improved ties in the Middle East, drawing down troops in Iraq, and overturning the illegal detentions and torture of the Bush administration.

By the time the nominations were made, there was MORE than enough reason for the selection committee to consider Obama an eligible candidate.

Regardless, the selection committee doesn't make the actual nominations themselves. The selection committee extends invitations to various members of the international community to make their nominations, including university professors, judges, diplomats, and past winners. Those invited are allowed to nominate whomever they choose, and only one person is required for a nomination to be considered. In the past, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Benito Mussolini have been nominated.

The February 1st deadline is only the deadline for the submission of nominations. After all the nominations are received, the Nobel institute creates a short list of candidates from the entire list of nominations (205 in total for this year's award). The short list candidates are then researched extensively by the committee, with several months taken to compile a compelling case for each. Then comes the vote and announcement. The committee's cases are not required to only consider up until the nomination date.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General