NATION

PASSWORD

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Has Obama done enough to merit the Nobel Peace Prize?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 388

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:11 am

Vittos Ordination wrote:
Psychotic Mongooses wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Which, once again Non Aligned States, is not enough to grant him, not even a year into the presidency, the NPP.

Well, if you looked at the reasons given by the Committee you'd see it wasn't solely based on past actions -
Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel Committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".
"It is a clear signal that we want to advocate the same as he has done," he said.

He specifically mentioned Mr Obama's work to strengthen international institutions and work towards a world free of nuclear arms.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8298580.stm

Hell, all he has to do is maintain Bush era policies and agreements (which he has been very good at so far) and he will reduce our nuclear armament by over half by the end of his first term.

I wonder, if Netanyahu has the IDF destroy Iran's nuclear stockpiles, will Netanyahu also get a Peace Prize for doing his part to reduce nuclear proliferation?
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Pedoka
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pedoka » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:12 am

Apparently nominations were due 11 days into his term...
Rofl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A64oHoom ... _embedded#
This is what the world is coming to.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:13 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Which, once again Non Aligned States, is not enough to grant him, not even a year into the presidency, the NPP.

Well, if you looked at the reasons given by the Committee you'd see it wasn't solely based on past actions -
Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel Committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".
"It is a clear signal that we want to advocate the same as he has done," he said.

He specifically mentioned Mr Obama's work to strengthen international institutions and work towards a world free of nuclear arms.

And yet contradicting what the committee wanted to achieve this year which was award the NPP to someone who had done something to promote and establish peace in the Middle East. For example: Ghazi bin Muhammad bin Talal, prince of Jordan.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Vittos Ordination
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Vittos Ordination » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14 am

Czardas wrote:
Vittos Ordination wrote:

Hell, all he has to do is maintain Bush era policies and agreements (which he has been very good at so far) and he will reduce our nuclear armament by over half by the end of his first term.

I wonder, if Netanyahu has the IDF destroy Iran's nuclear stockpiles, will Netanyahu also get a Peace Prize for doing his part to reduce nuclear proliferation?

We'd never know, cause unlike Iran, Israel won't allow inspectors in.

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:16 am

Vittos Ordination wrote:
Czardas wrote:
Vittos Ordination wrote:

We'd never know, cause unlike Iran, Israel won't allow inspectors in.

Just send the inspectors in on a friday evening then. Stopping the inspectors from entering would require work, after all, and they can't work on the Sabbath.

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Psychotic Mongooses
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Psychotic Mongooses » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:17 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:And yet contradicting what the committee wanted to achieve this year which was award the NPP to someone who had done something to promote and establish peace in the Middle East. For example: Ghazi bin Muhammad bin Talal, prince of Jordan.

I dunno, does the Prince have the same international pull in promoting international peace and attempting to strengthen international institutions as the President of the United States of America?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:18 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:And yet contradicting what the committee wanted to achieve this year which was award the NPP to someone who had done something to promote and establish peace in the Middle East. For example: Ghazi bin Muhammad bin Talal, prince of Jordan.

I dunno, does the Prince have the same international pull in promoting international peace and attempting to strengthen international institutions as the President of the United States of America?

And that matters? Ghazi bin Muhammad bin Talal at least is doing something, not promising he will do something, like Obama.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Psychotic Mongooses
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Psychotic Mongooses » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:21 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

And that matters?

Given the damage to said international institutions and international law by primarily the United States in the last 8 years, and the attempts to repair said damage - I would imagine so, yes.

Ghazi bin Muhammad bin Talal at least is doing something, not promising he will do something, like Obama.

Well kudos to him then.

The chrisman union
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 13, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The chrisman union » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:26 am

So.....he won the peace prize for saying (not necessarily doing) that we should all give up nukes and that Palestine and Israel should get along? Wow, I could do that.

"We should give up nukes and Palestine and Israel should get along."

Can I have my Peace Prize now? Please?
Embassy
The Allied Nations of the Chrisman Union (ANCU)
Leader: President Christian Veldt
Armed forces: 900,000
Population: 340,000,000
Government type: Liberal Social Democracy
Shebu wrote: 9 out of 10 times when you have a Ak47 pointed at you, you pay attention.

North Defese wrote:If I had a nickle and the head of everyone who called me [Defense], I'd be rich, and thrown in prison for all the mutliated corpses strewn about my house.

Tunizcha wrote:Never get in a staring contest with a cat. Even if you win, you still lose, because you just spent 5 minutes staring at a cat.

Canadai wrote:In Canadai, the vertically impaired are treated as equal citizens, and given ladders by the government.

Niur wrote:Lets all just get brain transplants to shark bodies.
Defcon: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:54 am

And with this, the Nobel Peace Prize has descended to "Grammy" level prestige valuation among awards. I don't have anything against the guy, really, but this is wildly premature.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, awarding him the NPP at this point might actually do more harm than good.
Last edited by Melkor Unchained on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:59 am

Melkor Unchained wrote:And with this, the Nobel Peace Prize has descended to "Grammy" level prestige valuation among awards. I don't have anything against the guy, really, but this is wildly premature.

I wonder if Kanye West will show up at the awards ceremony again in order to say "I'm really happy for you Obama and I'mma let you finish, but Ghazi Bin Muhammad Bin Talal did some of the best work for peace OF ALL TIME!"

Kamsaki
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamsaki » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:10 am

Hehe...

I think I understand exactly what this prize was awarded for.

This prize is an international snub to that reactionary aspect of the USA that has reared its ugly head during the last 10 months. It is a deliberate antagonizing of those Americans that would try to revolt or split in favour of prolonging the Neoconservative agenda. It is a statement of explicit rejection of Bush-style gun-toting ultra-globalization.

And I can't say I disapprove.

East Canuck
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 03, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby East Canuck » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:15 am

I think it's a vain attempt by the nobel peace prize comittee to bring a bit of dignity back to their prize by riding the coattails of President Obama. If the president does some good, they can say "see? WE knew all along".

GetBert
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby GetBert » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:24 am

I think they should give it to Taylor Swift instead.

So apparently Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini were all nominated at one time or another. Maybe they need to look at the nomination process.
Last edited by GetBert on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:26 am

Affirmative Action on a global scale?! :blink:

I'm kidding.

Hiddenrun
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hiddenrun » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:34 am

This is such a load of shit. I couldn't believe it when I heard it on the radio, I thought it was a joke.

It is a joke.

This man has polarized America more than any politician in recent memory. Oh yes, the unwashed hordes may have hated Bush, but there was never this sense of outright animosity before. Despite Obama's stated desire for political peace, it seems he does everything he can to alienate his opponents, rather than bring them into the fold the way he claimed he wanted to.

It's not just the Health Care reform, but let's look at that for a second. You've got Carter, a staunch Obama supporter, claiming that the opposition is about racism, nothing more. Imagine being told that if you bring up concerns about a radical new plan, that it's just because you're racist. That attitude completely dismisses any legitimate concerns you may have. In fact, it tells you that there are no legitimate concerns. I don't care what legislation you're talking about; there are always legitimate concerns.

But this all fits into Obama's approach. He is all about division. When he discusses 'change', he is always contrasting the future with the past in a way that is guaranteed to alienate. In his speeches he blasts the 'corrupt culture of Washington', talks about repairing the 'damage done', the 'mistakes of the past', 'failed policies and phoney arguments of previous administrations'. Hey, some of you might be going, great! Wooohoo! But you've also got to remember. The people he is blasting are still a part of the government. If you are among the group of people being blasted as part of the 'bad old America', you are not going to be feeling conciliatory, welcome, or included in this grand new world order.

Obama may claim he wants both sides to come together and leave partisanship behind, but when he simultaneously attacks the other side using as inflammatory rhetorical language as he does, he completely undermines his stated purpose. This is not a man who is bringing peace. This is a man bent on revolution, and nothing divides Americans more than revolution.

This fucker is anything but deserving of a peace prize.
Holder of unpopular opinions.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:36 am

Hiddenrun wrote:This is such a load of shit. I couldn't believe it when I heard it on the radio, I thought it was a joke.

It is a joke.

This man has polarized America more than any politician in recent memory. Oh yes, the unwashed hordes may have hated Bush, but there was never this sense of outright animosity before. Despite Obama's stated desire for political peace, it seems he does everything he can to alienate his opponents, rather than bring them into the fold the way he claimed he wanted to.

It's not just the Health Care reform, but let's look at that for a second. You've got Carter, a staunch Obama supporter, claiming that the opposition is about racism, nothing more. Imagine being told that if you bring up concerns about a radical new plan, that it's just because you're racist. That attitude completely dismisses any legitimate concerns you may have. In fact, it tells you that there are no legitimate concerns. I don't care what legislation you're talking about; there are always legitimate concerns.

But this all fits into Obama's approach. He is all about division. When he discusses 'change', he is always contrasting the future with the past in a way that is guaranteed to alienate. In his speeches he blasts the 'corrupt culture of Washington', talks about repairing the 'damage done', the 'mistakes of the past', 'failed policies and phoney arguments of previous administrations'. Hey, some of you might be going, great! Wooohoo! But you've also got to remember. The people he is blasting are still a part of the government. If you are among the group of people being blasted as part of the 'bad old America', you are not going to be feeling conciliatory, welcome, or included in this grand new world order.

Obama may claim he wants both sides to come together and leave partisanship behind, but when he simultaneously attacks the other side using as inflammatory rhetorical language as he does, he completely undermines his stated purpose. This is not a man who is bringing peace. This is a man bent on revolution, and nothing divides Americans more than revolution.

This fucker is anything but deserving of a peace prize.

there is more to the world than partisan US politics.
whatever

Hiddenrun
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hiddenrun » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:36 am

Czardas wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:And with this, the Nobel Peace Prize has descended to "Grammy" level prestige valuation among awards. I don't have anything against the guy, really, but this is wildly premature.

I wonder if Kanye West will show up at the awards ceremony again in order to say "I'm really happy for you Obama and I'mma let you finish, but Ghazi Bin Muhammad Bin Talal did some of the best work for peace OF ALL TIME!"

:rofl:

Awesome.

The man has a powerful meme.

Hiddenrun
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hiddenrun » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:38 am

Ashmoria wrote:there is more to the world than partisan US politics.

And what has he done for global peace, other than replace Bush?

He is driving his own country into partisanship the likes of which I have never seen. Not even during Vietnam. So he can drive a wedge that far into the fabric of his own country, and this accomplishes what on the global scene?

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:38 am

Yes, but:

Kamaski wrote:Hehe...

I think I understand exactly what this prize was awarded for.

This prize is an international snub to that reactionary aspect of the USA that has reared its ugly head during the last 10 months. It is a deliberate antagonizing of those Americans that would try to revolt or split in favour of prolonging the Neoconservative agenda. It is a statement of explicit rejection of Bush-style gun-toting ultra-globalization.

And I can't say I disapprove.

I have to agree with Kam on this one, although I don't think that's a good reason for awarding a Peace Prize. The NPP wasn't awarded for anything Obama has done (remember that nominations are due on Feb 1; less than 2 weeks into his term), it was awarded for what he represents. In my mind, it's like handing out Olympic medals to someone who "has a lot of heart" or whatever.
Last edited by Melkor Unchained on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Bikonria
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bikonria » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:39 am

Hiddenrun wrote:This fucker is anything but deserving of a peace prize.

lol u mad?

I'm just joking. :p
"Grind up stupid people for food. If you don't want to be food, get better grades."
-New Manvir

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:40 am

Hiddenrun wrote:

And what has he done for global peace, other than replace Bush?

He is driving his own country into partisanship the likes of which I have never seen. Not even during Vietnam. So he can drive a wedge that far into the fabric of his own country, and this accomplishes what on the global scene?

i think you have misidenfied the driver of that bus.

replacing bush (and his policy of bullying) IS working toward world peace.

so is working for nuclear disarmament and policing of nuclear stockpiles

but really, *I* dont have to defend the nobel committee. its their prize to give to whomever they want for whatever reason they want.
Last edited by Ashmoria on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatever

Hiddenrun
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hiddenrun » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:41 am

Melkor Unchained wrote:
I have to agree with Kam on this one, although I don't think that's a good reason for awarding a Peace Prize. The NPP wasn't awarded for anything Obama has done (remember that nominations are due on Feb 1; less than 2 weeks into his term), it was awarded for what he represents.

Should that be enough? Obama is the leader of the most powerful country on earth. Is that all he needs to do, to get this prize? Of course it's for what he supposedly represents (ignoring the reality of what he accomplishes), but frankly, it seems to me that demeans the entire point of what the Nobel Peace Prize represents. Which is the promotion of peace through thought and action; not simply by accident of being the one to follow an extremely unpopular administration.

Vittos Ordination
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Vittos Ordination » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:42 am

It is interesting how closely his domestic rhetoric has mirrored his foreign rhetoric. In both he promised to work with the other side to get a resolution, but he is now simply trying to ram health care through and has been anything but amicable about it, and he has upped the war in Afghanistan, pushed Pakistan's government to the limits of revolution, continues largely unilateral operations in Iraq.

Right now he seems only ready to compromise with congressional democrats and the Israeli government.

EDIT: And banks and pharmaceuticals.
Last edited by Vittos Ordination on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hiddenrun
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hiddenrun » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:43 am

Bikonria wrote:
Hiddenrun wrote:This fucker is anything but deserving of a peace prize.

lol u mad?

I'm just joking. :p

I'm...what's the term? Let's just say, my reaction was 'buh'? Sort of like I was when they nominated Yasser Arafat. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. The prize has already been thoroughly discredited.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General