NATION

PASSWORD

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Has Obama done enough to merit the Nobel Peace Prize?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 388

Vervaria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:05 am

Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:They just sort of hand those things out these days, don't they?

They, meaning the Nobel committee, don't discriminate between those that work for peace and those that they like, politically. If they did, then that little troll, Yasser Arafat would have never been awarded a peace prize. That award was the watershed for the Peace Prize. Since then, it's been a political tool to use against the United States.

Yes, I know Obama is President of the USA, but he has been working against the U.S. as actively as any other foreigner.

I'm sure you can provide actual evidence to show that the Prize is being used as a tool against the US, and that Obama is plotting/working against his own country?
Last edited by Vervaria on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lulz: viewtopic.php?p=2707685#p2707685
Fact book
Robustian wrote:If you disagree with me, you are wrong. Period.

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Wanderjar wrote:hiding behind this "I WANT SOURCES" wall is very quaint

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:06 am

West Failure wrote:Seems Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize. Has he actually done enough to deserve it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7927039.stm

What a joke. And what a slap in the face of those who have actually done something this year.
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:06 am

FreeSatania wrote:Henry Kissinger has one too and he didn't do anything to deserve it either.

In fact, he probably did enough to earn an anti-peace prize. :p
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Vittos Ordination
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Vittos Ordination » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:06 am

Brutland and Norden wrote:
Vittos Ordination wrote:The world has Stockholm Syndrome.

Actually the NPP is given by a committee appointed by the Norwegian Storting, in Oslo. :)

This forum needs a thank you function so I wouldn't have to waste screen space just to say that made me chuckle.

A Rightist Puppet
Envoy

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby A Rightist Puppet » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:06 am

Obama was President for only for 12 days before the Nobel nomination deadline last February... And he got in then? :rofl:

This is pathetic, anyone who believes he deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for sending 30,000 troops to Afghanistan, keeping open Gitmo, refusing to break with Bush-era legal defense and protecting telecommunication giants from lawsuits regarding phone tapping.... Should get their head checked.

I thought Al Gore's was frivolous (honestly, Global Warming one way or another doesn't seem to do with peace) but this is a whole new level.
I don't blog, sorry.

Northern Delmarva
Envoy

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Delmarva » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:07 am

I didn't know one could win the Nobel Peace Prize for sucking the world's ass.
Engagement Condition- 9
1. World War, 2. Total War, 3. Large-Scale War, 4. Major War, 5. Medium-sized Conflict, 6. Small Conflict, 7. Anti-terrorism operations, War imminent 8. Economical/ proxy war, 9. International Crisis, 10. Peacetime
Member of the League of Republics and CAPITERN
Economic Left/Right: 3.88 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.38
CivilDefense Industries: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16419

Obama Jugen III
Envoy

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Obama Jugen III » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:08 am

Czardas wrote:
Obama Jugen III wrote:The way you phrased the question implies a false uniformity through the world. Whereas, in fact, the world is heterogeneous. It also has limited physical resources. Sometimes (even among friendly nations) competition for resources requires limited strife. Acting based on the average demands of the world's population might mean giving in a particular situation of strife. Giving in during any strife for the purpose of disadvantaging of the US during an interaction with a foreign entity is the bona fide definition of treason.

The bonafide definition of treason is actually "betraying the United States to its enemies."

Most of the people Obama talks to aren't the US's enemies. Although, if he does what you're recommending, they will be.

Giving in during a strife in order to benefit the counterparty is just one of the ways to betray your party to the counterparty. But even that doesn't matter. One can commit treason while interacting with friendly nations. Friend/enemy distinction doesn't apply here. One can commit treason while interacting with friendly nations. Rosenberg, for example, was convicted of treason while all he did was help out Soviet Union while US was still friends (allies, in fact) with the Soviet Union.

Most of the time nations which are friendly are looking for mutual benefit. But there are occasions when they have strife. Intentionally giving in during such times would be treasonous for a President. And if he stated that he intends to do just that, it would be impeachable.
Lest anyone forget that criticism of the child-Emperor is RACISM!
If Martin Luther King were alive today, he'd be a staunch Republican.
Washington, DC: the Loan Star State ("loan" spelling intentional).

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:09 am

Vervaria wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:They just sort of hand those things out these days, don't they?

They, meaning the Nobel committee, don't discriminate between those that work for peace and those that they like, politically. If they did, then that little troll, Yasser Arafat would have never been awarded a peace prize. That award was the watershed for the Peace Prize. Since then, it's been a political tool to use against the United States.

Yes, I know Obama is President of the USA, but he has been working against the U.S. as actively as any other foreigner.

I'm sure you can provide actual evidence to show that the Prize is being used as a tool against the US, and that Obama is plotting against his own country?

He can't, since he's just spewing mindless rhetoric. In fact I rather doubt the operation of his fingers is at all linked to his frontal and prefrontal cortices, but is instead guided solely by the amygdala, lacking the input of rational thought.

That's why my initial response to his post wasn't directed at him but at those who use their reasoning abilities to guide their posting process.
Last edited by Czardas on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:10 am

Secret poker tournament made up of scientists, authors, heads of state and the like. That is how it has always been done. That is tradition.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Sitspot
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 03, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Sitspot » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:11 am

A Rightist Puppet wrote:Obama was President for only for 12 days before the Nobel nomination deadline last February... And he got in then? :rofl:

This is pathetic, anyone who believes he deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for sending 30,000 troops to Afghanistan, keeping open Gitmo, refusing to break with Bush-era legal defense and protecting telecommunication giants from lawsuits regarding phone tapping.... Should get their head checked.

I thought Al Gore's was frivolous (honestly, Global Warming one way or another doesn't seem to do with peace) but this is a whole new level.

This pretty much sums it up.
Ghost of Ayn Rand wrote: Ivy League guys stick together like the pages in Glenn Beck's copy of Atlas Shrugged.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:11 am

Czardas wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

I'm sure you can provide actual evidence to show that the Prize is being used as a tool against the US, and that Obama is plotting against his own country?

He can't, since he's just spewing mindless rhetoric. In fact I rather doubt the operation of his fingers is at all linked to his frontal and prefrontal cortices, but is instead guided solely by the amygdala, lacking the input of rational thought.

That's why my initial response to his post wasn't directed at him but at those who use their reasoning abilities to guide their posting process.

Wait, you can use reasoning abilities to guide your posting process? Do you need an addon for that? :?

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Vervaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:11 am

Desperate Measures wrote:Secret poker tournament made up of scientists, authors, heads of state and the like. That is how it has always been done. That is tradition.

Now it all makes sense!
Fact book

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:12 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Czardas wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

Wait, you can use reasoning abilities to guide your posting process? Do you need an addon for that? :?

LG, honey, all you need is the mud. :)
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Obama Jugen III
Envoy

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Obama Jugen III » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:12 am

Psychotic Mongooses wrote:
Les Drapeaux Brulants wrote: Since then, it's been a political tool to use against the United States.

Naturally.
That's why these guys won it.

2008 Martti Ahtisaari
2007 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and Albert Arnold (Al) Gore Jr.
2006 Muhammad Yunus and Grameen Bank
2005 International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and Mohamed ElBaradei
2004 Wangari Maathai
2003 Shirin Ebadi
2002 Jimmy Carter
2001 The United Nations ( U.N.) and Kofi Annan
2000 Kim Dae Jung
1999 Doctors Without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières)
1998 John Hume and David Trimble
1997 International Campaign to Ban Landmines (ICBL) and Jody Williams
1996 Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo and José Ramos-Horta
1995 Joseph Rotblat and Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs

In Al Gore's defense, he supported the Global Warming position based on measurements which were taken up to year 2001. THAT evidence did, in fact, support the Global Warming theory. You don't hear Al talking about it now. So I will insist that he is more a policy ace than an ideologue.
Last edited by Obama Jugen III on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lest anyone forget that criticism of the child-Emperor is RACISM!
If Martin Luther King were alive today, he'd be a staunch Republican.
Washington, DC: the Loan Star State ("loan" spelling intentional).

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:13 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Czardas wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

Yay! :D

Hunter S. Thompson

Peepelonia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Peepelonia » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:13 am

Sitspot wrote:
A Rightist Puppet wrote:Obama was President for only for 12 days before the Nobel nomination deadline last February... And he got in then? :rofl:

Yes I agree, that pretty much sums up the fact that many people post here with as much as glanceing at the original story. *shrug* What do I expect though, ahhhhh NSG I have missed you, lets never brake up again.

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:14 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Czardas wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

There's probably a patch for it if you use linux.

Pre-empting the inevitable.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:14 am

Peepelonia wrote:
Sitspot wrote:

Yes I agree, that pretty much sums up the fact that many people post here with as much as glanceing at the original story. *shrug* What do I expect though, ahhhhh NSG I have missed you, lets never brake up again.

Get a room you two. :p

Hunter S. Thompson

Vervaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:14 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Czardas wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

I thought you needed tacos too, or are they just a bonus?
Fact book

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 am

Vervaria wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Czardas wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

They're bonus, baby. 8)
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

FreeSatania
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby FreeSatania » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
FreeSatania wrote:Henry Kissinger has one too and he didn't do anything to deserve it either.

Well their giving Obama his because of what he promises to do in the area of anti-peace.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:16 am

So, what exactly has Obama done that makes him 'deserve' it more than, say, Morgan Tsvangirai? The latter being someone who actually puts his own life on the line to try and work for peace?

It just confirms what I have been saying for years, the Nobel prize committee is a bunch of leftists promoting leftist politics. Oh, and to some folks here, no they are not anti-USA, they are pro-leftist.
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:16 am

Vervaria wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Wait, you can use reasoning abilities to guide your posting process? Do you need an addon for that? :?

Entertainment and mischief is my life. Tacos make it worth living. :)

Hunter S. Thompson

Vervaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:17 am

F1-Insanity wrote:So, what exactly has Obama done that makes him 'deserve' it more than, say, Morgan Tsvangirai? The latter being someone who actually puts his own life on the line to try and work for peace?

It just confirms what I have been saying for years, the Nobel prize committee is a bunch of leftists promoting leftist politics. Oh, and to some folks here, no they are not anti-USA, they are pro-leftist.

If they were biased leftists, they wouldn't have given it to Obama, who by their standards is a center-rightist.
Last edited by Vervaria on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fact book

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:17 am

FreeSatania wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Well their giving Obama his because of what he promises to do in the area of anti-peace.

I can understand his promises, and I can see what LG said earlier. But to me, which in the larger scheme of things matters not, Barrack Obama winning the NPP on mere promises of what he will do is... vapid. I wouldn't have given him the prize. He really hasn't ''done'' anything with those promises, just yet.
Slava Ukraini

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General