NATION

PASSWORD

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Has Obama done enough to merit the Nobel Peace Prize?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 388

West Failure
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Postby West Failure » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:06 am

Seems Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize. Has he actually done enough to deserve it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7927039.stm
Last edited by West Failure on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yootwopia wrote:
Folder Land wrote:But why do religious conservatives have more power in the States but not so much power in the UK that still has a state church?

Because our country is better than yours.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:15 am

I'm not quite certain just what he has really done that is Nobel prize worthy.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:15 am

They just sort of hand those things out these days, don't they?
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Kashindahar
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kashindahar » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:17 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:They just sort of hand those things out these days, don't they?

We're talking about the Nobel Peace prize, so yes.
no matter how blunt your hammer, someone is still going to mistake it for a nail
Voracious Vendetta wrote:There is always some prick that comes along and ruins a thread before it goes anywhere

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:18 am

This can't be right. I'm to lazy to check into it though.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:19 am

I wish he hadn't, aside from the fact that I can't exactly see what he's done to merit this - become the first black president of America, I can see the argument perhaps - but the main reason is that if I can't see the merit, I just know it's going to lead to a whole lot of disparagement and 'evidence he's the messiah'

In fact, in before 'Prince of Peace lol'

Lacadaemon wrote:This can't be right. I'm to lazy to check into it though.

It is - http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/ ... JK20091009

OSLO (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for his calls to reduce the world's stockpile of nuclear weapons and working for world peace.

The first African American to hold the country's highest office, Obama has called for disarmament and worked to restart the stalled Middle East peace process since taking office in January.

The prize worth 10 million Swedish crowns ($1.4 million) will be handed over in Oslo on December 10.
Last edited by Barringtonia on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:24 am

I checked, it seems to be right... I can only assume this to be some sort of a joke... :blink:
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:26 am

I can only think of one possible response:

lolwut?
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:28 am

They like to jump the gun on either side don't they? :palm:
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

New Roccoland
Attaché

Founded: Aug 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Roccoland » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:29 am

Why is he getting a peace prize for talking about disarmament when he actually hasn't done anything but talk it up yet? :palm:

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:33 am

One question: Why?

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:36 am

West Failure wrote:Seems Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize. Has he actually done enough to deserve it?

No.
End the Modigarchy now.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:38 am

So a man who did nothing worthwhile in regards to the award wins it?

Well I suppose no surprises there but really he should've won it after he bombed the fuck out of somebody.
Last edited by Blouman Empire on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Kyronea
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyronea » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:43 am

The Nobel Peace Prize commodity ought to get their heads checked. I'm not seeing much that President Obama has done to deserve being awarded this prize.

Sitspot
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 03, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Sitspot » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:45 am

Maltese-based bookmaker Betsafe lists Betancourt at 5-to-1, and Tsvangirai at 6-to-1. Austrialian Centrebet has Cordoba and Samar at 6-to-1 and both Obama and Tsvangirai at 7-to-1.

Looks like he'd have been worth a bet. This decision is totally beyond me, I can't wait to hear the judges' rationale!
Perhaps something like "Well he could be a lot worse, at least he hasn't invaded anywhere new - yet"
Ghost of Ayn Rand wrote: Ivy League guys stick together like the pages in Glenn Beck's copy of Atlas Shrugged.

Kashindahar
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kashindahar » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:46 am

People, people, please! He's black! And a president!

Seriously though does the NPP even have any requirements for being awarded to someone?
no matter how blunt your hammer, someone is still going to mistake it for a nail
Voracious Vendetta wrote:There is always some prick that comes along and ruins a thread before it goes anywhere

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:46 am

Kyronea wrote:The Nobel Peace Prize commodity ought to get their heads checked. I'm not seeing much that President Obama has done to deserve being awarded this prize.

Sent more troops to Afghanistan to err foster peace and promote good relations with other states in the area?
End the Modigarchy now.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:47 am

Sitspot wrote:
Maltese-based bookmaker Betsafe lists Betancourt at 5-to-1, and Tsvangirai at 6-to-1. Austrialian Centrebet has Cordoba and Samar at 6-to-1 and both Obama and Tsvangirai at 7-to-1.

Looks like he'd have been worth a bet. This decision is totally beyond me, I can't wait to hear the judges' rationale!
Perhaps something like "Well he could be a lot worse, at least he hasn't invaded anywhere new - yet"

See if he had invaded anywhere new then he would almost be a shoein for the prize.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:49 am

Slow year for Peace, I guess.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Psychotic Mongooses
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Psychotic Mongooses » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:51 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8298580.stm

BBC wrote:The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".
The committee highlighted Mr Obama's efforts to strengthen international bodies and promote nuclear disarmament.

A... little early for that.

BBC wrote:"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said in a statement.
"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".
"It is a clear signal that we want to advocate the same as he has done," he said.
He specifically mentioned Mr Obama's work to strengthen international institutions and work towards a world free of nuclear arms.
The statement from the committee also said the US president had "created a new climate in international politics".
Last edited by Psychotic Mongooses on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Libertarian Governance
Senator

Founded: Oct 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian Governance » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:53 am

Wow he really won it. This is shocking...
Stand up, it's time to rise. It's time for revenge, opposition must die
Chaos, violence, revolution now! - GG Allin

Non Aligned States
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Non Aligned States » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:57 am

Psychotic Mongooses wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8298580.stm

BBC wrote:The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".
The committee highlighted Mr Obama's efforts to strengthen international bodies and promote nuclear disarmament.

A... little early for that.

So they gave a prize for peace that has been promoted... in the hopes that it would promote peace?

Kostemetsia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kostemetsia » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:01 am

... Right.

I'm a fervent Obama supporter - to the same level as those hypothetical Obamazombies the GOP and its supporters talk about - and even I can't see why Obama deserves the peace prize.

Could be that he's the first black president of the US, which is a big thing. OTOH, isn't preferential treatment on the basis of skin colour called racism? What has Obama really done to change the world situation from where it was at in January?

I'm disappointed by this award.
The Commonwealth (FT)
factbook | embassies and trade | CAFRI: 69 (Excellent)
background music requests

Daemonicai
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Daemonicai » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:07 am

I too am an Obama supporter, but he really hasn't done anything to deserve this. I think it's just the leaders of the world trying to make him look good to the public eye and win support from the more hating of people.
Name- The Ecumene
Head of Government- Consul Sargon Laskarys Panthaera
Homeworld- Drakonis
Demonym- Drakon/Drakonai
Government- Quasi-Democratic Feudal/Federal Aristocracy[/spoiler]

Psychotic Mongooses
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Psychotic Mongooses » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:08 am

Non Aligned States wrote:
So they gave a prize for peace that has been promoted... in the hopes that it would promote peace?

Aye... a bit ethereal methinks.

Maybe the Nobel Prize COmmittee don't actually like Obama, because the Conservatives in the US are are going to have a field day with this...

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General