NATION

PASSWORD

Nature...just....WHY

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Mongol Ilkhanate
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Nature...just....WHY

Postby The Mongol Ilkhanate » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 pm

http://www.oceanographerschoice.com/201 ... the-world/

The rhizocephala are a superorder within the subclass Thecostraca, the group of crustaceans that includes all the barnacles, but their form is highly modified from the familiar acorn and gooseneck barnacles. The only visual indication we have that these creatures are related to the other barnacles is their nauplius and cyprid larvae. In the normal barnacles, these larvae find a rock, stick themselves to it, grow a shell, and spend the rest of their days filter feeding.

Rhizocephalan larvae do not settle on rocks. Instead, the females settle on other crustaceans–usually crabs, and usually on the gills, where the crab’s exoskeleton is thinnest. This is important, because soon after settling, the larva injects its soft innards into the crab. This may take place through one of the larva’s antennae, wielded like a hypodermic needle, or the larva may molt and stick itself on the crab while it develops a special stylet inside its body. When the time is right, it everts this poker into the crab and injects its guts as a worm-like body called a vermigon.

This is where it starts to get really awful. The injected mass of visceral cells, now called the “interna,” starts to grow inside the host’s fluid-filled cavities, branching out root-like through the entire body, but concentrating on the digestive tract. Somehow, the parasite keeps the host’s immune system from attacking this network of invasive threads while it grows, drawing nourishment continuously from the host’s precious bodily fluids.

When mature, the female interna extrudes an appendage out of the host’s body. This is called the externa, and it is little more than a gently-pulsing sac of gonads, attached to the host’s body by a short stalk, emitting a trail of pheremones to attract male larvae. When these larvae arrive, they land on the externa, and inject their soft insides into it. They then migrate into special seminal receptacles and fuse with the female, becoming nothing more than soft clumps of sperm-producing tissue, themselves parasitic on the already-parasitic female. Eggs are fertilized and released, and the cycle begins again.

But wait–it gets even sicker. In many cases, the externa is extruded under the crab’s tail flap, where it would carry its own eggs. Some species of rhizocephalans actually chemically castrate the crab, and then modify its behavior–that is, perform mind control–compelling it to take care of the parasite’s gonads as if they were the crab’s own children. This works even in males, who don’t ever carry eggs, and never exhibit any of these behaviors on their own. In these cases, the crab stops growing, and never molts again. It spends the rest of its days as a kind of zombie, eating food that will be sucked out of its digestive tract by the parasite that destroyed and replaced its reproductive system.

Now aren’t you glad you know all that?

Why do things like this even exist? Don't you think it'd be too evolutionarily complicated?

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:23 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of parasites.

Miss Defied
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Miss Defied » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:26 pm

The Mongol Ilkhanate wrote:-snip-
Why do things like this even exist? Don't you think it'd be too evolutionarily complicated?

Let me guess, you are going to turn this into a case for creationism, right?
You should just come right out with it and say so in your OP.
There's lots of crazy stuff in the world. The very existence of viruses and what they do is practically unfathomable when you think about it.
None of this makes a case for the existence of god.

Edit: tags
Last edited by Miss Defied on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know you're like the A-bomb. Everybody's laughing, having a good time. Then you show up -BOOM- everything's dead." - Master Shake

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:27 pm

Did not need to read that while eating.

Miss Defied wrote:

There's lots of crazy stuff in the world. The very existence of viruses and what they do is practically unfathomable when you think about it.

It kinda makes the case against a benevolent God if anything.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Miss Defied wrote:

What's even worse is that Cordyceps fungi. And then there's hookworms and tapeworms... And botflies...

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Damn nature you scary.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Xathranaar
Minister

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Xathranaar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:29 pm

You're right. The only explanation is that god is an asshole.
My views summarized.
The Gospel According to Queen.
It is possible that some of my posts may not be completely serious.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Blazedtown wrote:Damn nature you scary.

Completely relevant.

The Mongol Ilkhanate
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mongol Ilkhanate » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Miss Defied wrote:

I'm actually not going to. I'm just wondering why it went to such trouble...

Zanzibarnia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanzibarnia » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:35 pm

Meryuma wrote:Did not need to read that while eating.

Miss Defied wrote:Let me guess, you are going to turn this into a case for creationism, right?

It kinda makes the case against a benevolent God if anything.

Small wonder why we never see these badasses featured on the "Was It Designed?" sections of those ridiculous Watchtower tracts.

The Mongol Ilkhanate
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mongol Ilkhanate » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:38 pm

My church teaches Evolution in its schools. I have no qualm with it on a religious basis, (we do not, however, believe it was how humans originated, dunno about everything else.)
Last edited by The Mongol Ilkhanate on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:39 pm

And now a word from our sponsor.

"I fail to see what the problem is"
-Codename Mister Sparkly, Part of the FBI's Trapdoor Spider Unit
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Xathranaar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Xathranaar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:39 pm

The Mongol Ilkhanate wrote:
Miss Defied wrote:Let me guess, you are going to turn this into a case for creationism, right?

Why what went through such trouble? That parasite has a pretty sweet deal going, I don't understand the mystery.
My views summarized.

The Mongol Ilkhanate
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mongol Ilkhanate » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:40 pm

Xathranaar wrote:

Why what went through such trouble? That parasite has a pretty sweet deal going, I don't understand the mystery.

It does indeed, but one would think there's an easier way...

Miss Defied
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Miss Defied » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:41 pm

The Mongol Ilkhanate wrote:I'm actually not going to. I'm just wondering why it went to such trouble...

Well in that case, by "it" do you mean rhizocephala? It went to that much trouble because it figured out how to maximize it's own ability to survive and thrive by doing the least amount of work possible. So it evolved to create this complex method of living off of another creature much to the detriment of said creature. We have something similar in the human species as well. They're called "derivatives traders."
"You know you're like the A-bomb. Everybody's laughing, having a good time. Then you show up -BOOM- everything's dead." - Master Shake

The Mongol Ilkhanate
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mongol Ilkhanate » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:42 pm

They're called "derivatives traders."

Hey now, on topic.

Xathranaar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Xathranaar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:43 pm

Xathranaar wrote:Why what went through such trouble? That parasite has a pretty sweet deal going, I don't understand the mystery.

It does indeed, but one would think there's an easier way...

To do what?

I'm not being factitious here, I really don't understand where the confusion lies.

I mean that parasite has entirely taken advantage of the crab's biology to the point of feeding it, and helping it to reproduce.
My views summarized.

Miss Defied
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Miss Defied » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:43 pm

Xathranaar wrote:

Well you have to admit, it's a pretty intricate system that thing has going on. Much more than just sucking on some blood like a gluttonous tick.

The Mongol Ilkhanate
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mongol Ilkhanate » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:43 pm

Be a very simple, rapidly producing parasite, like the other worms? I dunno. The confusion is mostly due to the fact I don't want it to be true :p

Xathranaar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Xathranaar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Miss Defied wrote:
The Mongol Ilkhanate wrote:I'm actually not going to. I'm just wondering why it went to such trouble...

Well in that case, by "it" do you mean rhizocephala? It went to that much trouble because it figured out how to maximize it's own ability to survive and thrive by doing the least amount of work possible. So it evolved to create this complex method of living off of another creature much to the detriment of said creature. We have something similar in the human species as well. They're called "derivatives traders."

The great thing is, that now that the parasite is so dependent upon said crab, it will probably start evolving to find ways to help the thing survive longer and be more resistant to predators. Eventually, the two may become symbiotic.
My views summarized.

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:45 pm

The Mongol Ilkhanate wrote:Don't you think it'd be too evolutionarily complicated?

No, arguments of irreducible complexity are bogus.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

The Mongol Ilkhanate
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mongol Ilkhanate » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Revolutopia wrote:
The Mongol Ilkhanate wrote:Don't you think it'd be too evolutionarily complicated?

No, arguments of irreducible complexity are bogus.

Relax, simmer down, I'm not one of those people. See the rest of the thread.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:48 pm

To quote ecologist Thomas Ray, "Successful systems attract parasites".

Miss Defied
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Miss Defied » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:48 pm

Xathranaar wrote:
Miss Defied wrote:

The great thing is, that now that the parasite is so dependent upon said crab, it will probably start evolving to find ways to help the thing survive longer and be more resistant to predators. Eventually, the two may become symbiotic.

Yeah, well I hope those things stay out of my Maryland blue crabs, because I don't want to be eating that crap!

Xathranaar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Xathranaar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Miss Defied wrote:
Xathranaar wrote:The great thing is, that now that the parasite is so dependent upon said crab, it will probably start evolving to find ways to help the thing survive longer and be more resistant to predators. Eventually, the two may become symbiotic.

Yeah, well I hope those things stay out of my Maryland blue crabs, because I don't want to be eating that crap!

I'd have to try it before making any judgments. For all you know it tastes like orange-flavored orgasms.
My views summarized.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General