NATION

PASSWORD

Jewish Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

You are a(n)

Orthodox
5%
Modern Orthodox
4%
Conservative
11%
Reform
9%
Atheist
53%
Nonobservant
8%
Messianic
9%

Total votes : 936

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Menassa wrote:Perhaps but he still has the right to choose what he wants to do.

The right, but not the ability.

His actions are foreordained. God wills it.
Looking at history (or what I believe it be history) the time that Israel sinned (or what I believe as sin) was when they were fat with their food and rich with their drink (speaking biblically). When they had many possessions and felt comfortable with the position they were in so they forgot.... they forgot who had given them all that they had. They forgot god and they had forgot their ancestors (speaking biblically).

Looking at history, it is the arrogance of the Romans, who provide the very first foundation for Western Civilization, which drove them to ever-greater heights. It is fear, superstition and uncertainty that drove them into the dirt.
Believe what you wish about your creation and I shall about mine.

Just remember that whatever you are, I am not created in your God's image.

His actions are not forordained.

Then perhaps it is only the children of Israel who are held to not have arrogance then hmm?

Duly noted.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Menassa wrote:No. The omniscient god knows what will happen if Mary sue does or does not kill the goat. The omniscient god will punish or reward Mary sue of she does or does not kill the goat.

So God doesn't know what *will* happen.

So God is not omniscient.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Menassa wrote:
EnragedMaldivians wrote:
If an omniscient God knows that Mary Sue will kill a goat on the 31st of March 2016, is there any possibility that Mary Sue will not kill a goat on the 31st of March 2016. Is it inevitable that this event will happen? If it is, does Mary Sue have any choice in the matter?

No. The omniscient god knows what will happen if Mary sue does or does not kill the goat. The omniscient god will punish or reward Mary sue of she does or does not kill the goat.

I don't think you really understood the question. Basically if God knows through his omniscience that person y will do x on any given date, is there any possibility that y will not do x on that date?
Taking a break.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Menassa wrote:His actions are not forordained.

Then God is not omniscient.
Then perhaps it is only the children of Israel who are held to not have arrogance then hmm?

Jewish tradition is not Western tradition, so eh, sure, why not.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Menassa wrote:No. The omniscient god knows what will happen if Mary sue does or does not kill the goat. The omniscient god will punish or reward Mary sue of she does or does not kill the goat.

So God doesn't know what *will* happen.

God knows what will happen.

God also knows what won't happen.

God also knows when the will and the won't meet.
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Menassa wrote:His actions are not forordained.

Then God is not omniscient.

Jewish tradition is not Western tradition, so eh, sure, why not.

God is omniscient.

Then we agree.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Menassa wrote:God knows what will happen.

And he knows what will happen when the will and the won't meet. If he does, destiny. If he doesn't, no omniscient.

Pick one.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:56 pm

Menassa wrote:God is omniscient.

Then life is foreordained.

Pick one. You can't have them both unless you have some ground-breaking explanation that has eluded thinkers for over a millenium.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:56 pm

Menassa wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:So God doesn't know what *will* happen.

God knows what will happen.

But does even he know what you're saying in that post? :blink:
Taking a break.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:56 pm

And he knows what will happen when the will and the won't meet. If he does, destiny. If he doesn't, no omniscient.

Pick one.

God knows both.

He sees all and he knows all..... this may sound like babbling to you but I see it as pretty clear.

God knows if it will rain today and he knows if it will not rain today/

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:57 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:

But does even he know what you're saying in that post? :blink:

My mind can exceed god yes.

:p

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Menassa wrote:God knows both.

He sees all and he knows all..... this may sound like babbling to you but I see it as pretty clear.

Then he knows if it will rain today, with 100% certainity. If he does, then it is foreordained that it will or will not rain today. If he doesn't, he's no better than the weatherman, and I may as well set up an altar to channel five.

Hydronium
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydronium » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Neutral towards Jews. Aren't Messianic Jews Christian Jews?????

Spontaneous John 3:16 God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son. Anyone who believes in him will not die but will have eternal life. NIRV
Last edited by Hydronium on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:59 pm

Then he knows if it will rain today, with 100% certainity. If he does, then it is foreordained that it will or will not rain today. If he doesn't, he's no better than the weatherman, and I may as well set up an altar to channel five.

My friend again placing god together with human knowledge is an anthropomorphism.

I know this is a tired answer and can be a bit of a dochek a stretch but still none the less.

Can a small child understand Metaphysics?

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Hydronium wrote:neutral towards Jews. Aren't Messianic Jews Christian Jews?????

I think so.... however Jewish Christians is an oxymoronic term.

Potlimitomaha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Potlimitomaha » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Are you ever going to ask serious questions or just keep giving him a headache.
Love- USA, Israel, Democratic Republicanism, Zionists(all of them),Kurdistan,Obamacare, Unions,Marriage Equality, Med Marijuana, Pro-choice, Feminists, Vegans (more for me), passive animals, 2nd amendment,World Peace.
Hate-Iran, Nazis, Anti-semitism, Islamophobia, Homophobia, all other Hate, Social conservatism, Absolute Monarchism, Uneccesary foreign intervention, rec marijuana, Intactivism, radical Feminists,Animal cruelty, PETA, North Korea.U.N.
TG me if you think of anything else.
MAKE LOVE NOT WAR - Put this in your signature if you agree.

☻/ This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so he can rule earth.
/ \

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Menassa wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:And he knows what will happen when the will and the won't meet. If he does, destiny. If he doesn't, no omniscient.

Pick one.

God knows both.

So if he knows it will rain it will rain. If he knows it won't rain it won't.

If he knows a given person will go outside without an umbrella that person will go outside without an umbrella. If he knows he will go outside with an umbrella that person will go outside with the umbrella. Either way, he has about as much free will as the clouds, if God is truly omniscient.
Last edited by EnragedMaldivians on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taking a break.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:01 pm

Menassa wrote:My friend again placing god together with human knowledge is an anthropomorphism.

If God cannot be understood with human knowledge, He cannot be understood by human beings.

If He cannot be understood, then you trying to explain him, even with logical paradoxes, is claiming knowledge that you do not have, as a human being.

Thus, all discussions of God's abilities or characteristics are moot, as we cannot understand Him.
I know this is a tired answer and can be a bit of a dochek a stretch but still none the less.

Depends on the child.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:02 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:

If he knows a given person will go outside without an umbrella that person will go outside without an umbrella. If he knows he will go outside with an umbrella that person will go outside with the umbrella. Either way, he has about as much free will as the clouds, if God is truly omniscient.

God knows if he does or does not go out with an umbrella and he will reward him for not and punish him for doing so.... since it is the sabbath and he will be transgressing a law.

Potlimitomaha wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Then he knows if it will rain today, with 100% certainity. If he does, then it is foreordained that it will or will not rain today. If he doesn't, he's no better than the weatherman, and I may as well set up an altar to channel five.

I don't get headaches.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Potlimitomaha wrote:Are you ever going to ask serious questions or just keep giving him a headache.

Do you have an answer to my question, or do you concede the point?

Does thinking about YHWH give you a headache? If so, you may want to find another God.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Menassa wrote:My friend again placing god together with human knowledge is an anthropomorphism.

If God cannot be understood with human knowledge, He cannot be understood by human beings.

If He cannot be understood, then you trying to explain him, even with logical paradoxes, is claiming knowledge that you do not have, as a human being.

Thus, all discussions of God's abilities or characteristics are moot, as we cannot understand Him.

Depends on the child.

Perhaps.... perhaps discussing God's abilities are moot... perhaps we must leave it up to tradition and people who are greater than us.

But then again... your lack of servility would not allow that would it? :p

And no.... no child say around 3 years of age can understand can fully Metaphysics.... at least not today.

Hydronium
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydronium » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Depends on the child.

True, and I understand metaphysics, and exoplanetology.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:06 pm

Menassa wrote:Perhaps.... perhaps discussing God's abilities are moot... perhaps we must leave it up to tradition and people who are greater than us.

Tradition, whether or not handed down by God, does not help to understand God if He cannot be understood by human knowledge, since all knowledge must be interpreted by human beings and thus become human knowledge. People greater than you are no more capable of understanding God than you are if God cannot be understood with human knowledge.
And no.... no child say around 3 years of age can understand can fully Metaphysics.... at least not today.

There are plenty of exceptional child prodigies out there.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Menassa wrote:
EnragedMaldivians wrote:

God knows if he does or does not go out with an umbrella and he will reward him for not and punish him for doing so.... since it is the sabbath and he will be transgressing a law.

Potlimitomaha wrote:

I don't get headaches.

But I do. I give up. -_-
Taking a break.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Menassa wrote:Perhaps.... perhaps discussing God's abilities are moot... perhaps we must leave it up to tradition and people who are greater than us.

Tradition, whether or not handed down by God, does not help to understand God if He cannot be understood by human knowledge, since all knowledge must be interpreted by human beings and thus become human knowledge. People greater than you are no more capable of understanding God than you are if God cannot be understood with human knowledge.

There are plenty of exceptional child prodigies out there.

Humans who are greater than us (in this case Moses or Abraham) were able to understand god in his full power.

But I suppose this is where we will have to disagree because I am at least 99% sure you don't think Moses and Abraham were as great men as I do.

Find me this child that is 3 years of age and can fully understand metaphysics better than leading scientists today.... and we will continue.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General