NATION

PASSWORD

A chink in Jeremy Lin's armor

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ramenasia
Diplomat

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramenasia » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:00 am

Somehow I doubt Jeremy Lin cared at all. The writer probably didn't even know it was a slur, seeing as it fell out of popularity decades ago.
Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.59

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:11 am

Ramenasia wrote:Somehow I doubt Jeremy Lin cared at all. The writer probably didn't even know it was a slur, seeing as it fell out of popularity decades ago.

Headline writers aren't employed because they're ignorant of the meaning of words, their job is to create short headings that attract attention.

Now I'm more than happy to believe that they thought it was a light-hearted quip, and I'm sure most people would take it that way, yet to think they didn't know what they were writing is effectively thinking they weren't very good at their job - in which case they should probably be let go anyway.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The House of Petain
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Petain » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:24 am

Ramenasia wrote:Somehow I doubt Jeremy Lin cared at all. The writer probably didn't even know it was a slur, seeing as it fell out of popularity decades ago.

Are you kidding? Chink is still very much a commonly used slur.
Michael Augustine I of the House of Petain

Founder, Chief Executive & Emperor of Westphalia
1000 Schloss Nordkirchen Ave, Munster Capitol District, Westphalia 59394

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:32 am

Risottia wrote:
Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:Many of all y'all may remember several months ago that a couple of ESPN employees were fired after the ESPN website ran a story by them whose headline mentioned a chink in Jeremy Lin's armor. The phrase is itself a common one, referring to a weakness which has been discovered and exploited--in this case, in Lin's basketball game. The problem in this case, however, came about because Lin is Chinese-American (ok, Taiwan), which makes an alternate meaning of the word "chink" relevant.

Oh wow. Now one should alter the English dictionary lest Taiwanese basketball players feel insulted...
Really, have people got nothing better to do than playing victim?

An apt comparison would be me complaining about the sentence "Risottia owns a pet guinea pig" or "Risottia took a trip to Guinea". OMG RACIAL SLUR! :roll:

Feh.

Was Lin even offended? A lot of the time when people complain about this sort of shit it's reactionary and no-one was really offended in the first place.

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Anyone who thinks it wasn't entirely intentional doesn't know shit about how headlines are written.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:18 pm

whoever the hell jeremy lin is, why in the hell should i give a rat. journalists being fired for doing their jobs i am of course opposed to that happening. but really, espn can take a flying leap. i wish to got there never was such a thing. and my thoughtless neighbors who insist on constantly forcing it on everyone else had it shoved where the sun don't shine.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:24 pm

If he had been standing in his dresser and they reported it as "A Chink in Jeremy Lin's Amiore" that would be racist. Instead they were using a common phrase with a commonly understood usage and it was therefore not racist, not in the least.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Risottia wrote:
Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:Many of all y'all may remember several months ago that a couple of ESPN employees were fired after the ESPN website ran a story by them whose headline mentioned a chink in Jeremy Lin's armor. The phrase is itself a common one, referring to a weakness which has been discovered and exploited--in this case, in Lin's basketball game. The problem in this case, however, came about because Lin is Chinese-American (ok, Taiwan), which makes an alternate meaning of the word "chink" relevant.

Oh wow. Now one should alter the English dictionary lest Taiwanese basketball players feel insulted...
Really, have people got nothing better to do than playing victim?

An apt comparison would be me complaining about the sentence "Risottia owns a pet guinea pig" or "Risottia took a trip to Guinea". OMG RACIAL SLUR! :roll:

Feh.

In my mind its more like people being upset that someone pointed out that Risottia's car's tire suddenly deflated at once; making a whopping noise.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General