NATION

PASSWORD

Who was worse,Hitler or Stalin?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who was worse,Hitler or Stalin

Hitler
55%
Stalin
45%

Total votes : 328

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 28, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:41 pm

I am undecided; Stalin never tried to wipe out an entire race of people with a certain mindset. Then again, Stalin killed more people.
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Retro Lyra wrote:So, does this mean that since I'm white and my boyfriend is spanish he's going to rob all my money from me, scream "Hasta la vista!", and drive off into the sunset in a stolen car? Good to know.

Any time now, Lyra. Any time. Watch your car keys.

And your weed stash.

And your bedroom door. Chances are, he'll rape you first, the Genocidal Bastard.

Equestrian States wrote:Retro Lyra is actually an all-female corporation of puppet-manufacturers.

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:42 pm

The Murray Dynasty wrote:Answer; Stalin,

Reason;

20+ million casualties in WWII,

Explanation;

Code 227, Not one step backwards.

Summary;

Hitler was never insane to enforce a retreating clause on his own men. He did try to kill Jews, and several other types, but he is just a mere stain on the large carpet of genocidal leaders.

Stalin left a river, hitler left a stain

No, 20 million CIVILIANS died in the USSR due to Nazi extermination units
Grand-Duc de Languedoc, Under Roi J&D I

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Numuria wrote:
Quebec and Atlantic Canada wrote:You can't measure someone's evil by body count alone. You need to look at the reasons for that body count too. This is why I consider Hitler to be far worse than Stalin- because, unlike Stalin, who created his body count through paranoia, Hitler knowingly and deliberately made it his goal to exterminate an entire race simply for existing. In essence, even if a hypothetical Jew followed every single law of Nazi Germany to the letter, singing Hitler's praises 20 times a day, gleefully hunting down anti-Nazis with a bloodthirstiness that would scare the Gestapo, etc etc, he would still get thrown in a concentration camp just because he was Jewish. Obviously this hypothetical Jew never existed, but in any case, he certainly would have survived in Stalin's USSR if he was a model Stalinist, singing Stalin's praises 20 times a day, and gleefully hunting down anti-Stalinists with a bloodthirstiness that would scare the NKVD.

:clap:

Agreed.
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Retro Lyra wrote:So, does this mean that since I'm white and my boyfriend is spanish he's going to rob all my money from me, scream "Hasta la vista!", and drive off into the sunset in a stolen car? Good to know.

And your weed stash.

And your bedroom door. Chances are, he'll rape you first, the Genocidal Bastard.

Equestrian States wrote:Retro Lyra is actually an all-female corporation of puppet-manufacturers.

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Shouldn't there be an "undecided" vote on the poll?
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:

And your weed stash.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:44 pm

The De Danann Nation wrote:
North Franklin wrote:Stalin never tried to exterminate an entire race.

However,Hitler never starved his own citizens to death or send his own soldiers to death camps in fear that they'd picked up "dangerous ideas."

The Nazis purposely allowed people to starve to death in their prison camps. It wasn't something that happened accidentally because of food shortages. It was a deliberate part of Himmler's plan to dispose of Jews, other minorities, homosexuals, and political opposition; and Hitler supported it.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Syrakhstan
Envoy

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Syrakhstan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:44 pm

The De Danann Nation wrote:

However, Hitler never starved his own citizens to death or send his own soldiers to death camps in fear that they'd picked up "dangerous ideas."

Do you know anything of Adolf Hitler or WWII Germany. Nazi Germany had a ministry of Propaganda to keep people from getting any ideas. Along with the Gestapo and the SS to deal with anyone that got any funny ideas if you think Hitler was afraid to take out one of his own your sadly mistaken
DEFCON: [2]
Tech Level Varies: (Technology ranging from 1191-2012)
[When I do past tech, I tend to toss in a just a bit of Fantasy.]
Current Roleplays: None.
If you have to ask, you'll never know. If you know, you need only ask.

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Retro Lyra wrote:I am undecided; Stalin never tried to wipe out an entire race of people with a certain mindset. Then again, Stalin killed more people.

Stalin killed more people for the sole fact that we never let Hitler:
1; Have peace to start exterminating everyone who wasn't Germanic or Aryan
2: Because Stalin had death through the collectivization famine added to his score
Last edited by Noobubersland on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:46 pm

Are you kidding? Look up the Holodomor.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Camicon wrote:

Are you kidding? Look up the Holodomor.

I didn't realize that Stalin had complete control over weather and crop yields

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Noobubersland wrote:
Camicon wrote:Are you kidding? Look up the Holodomor.

Dictators control everything, donchaknow.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Kohlastan
Envoy

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kohlastan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Typhlochactas wrote:Hitler because his actions killed more people.

Actually Stalin killed more people he just did so over a long period of time. But Hitler manage to kill more people durring the time frame of his rule. So in basicly Hitler killed less just because he was in power for a shorter time.
My vote is Hitler
Economic Left/Right: -5.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.15
Please note I'm too lazy to check for correct grammar and spelling
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

North Franklin
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby North Franklin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Noobubersland wrote:

Not to mention the Soviet Union had some serious problems with focusing entirely on industrialization and neglecting agriculture.
WWFSMD?
The House of Petain wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:ban the firearms. all the firearms. - barack obama

Ah yes, I recall that speech. He then snorted some coke and said death to all the white people, while confessing how he was born in the sewers of Bangladesh and was a Buddhist hitman before becoming senator.

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Kohlastan wrote:
Typhlochactas wrote:Hitler because his actions killed more people.

Actually Stalin killed more people he just did so over a long period of time. But Hitler manage to kill more people durring the time frame of his rule. So in basicly Hitler killed less just because he was in power for a shorter time.
My vote is Hitler

Which war did Stalin start that killed 2.5% of the worlds population?

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Noobubersland wrote:

Kim Jong-il can control the weather!

Kohlastan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kohlastan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Retro Lyra wrote:I am undecided; Stalin never tried to wipe out an entire race of people with a certain mindset. Then again, Stalin killed more people.

But he only killed more people because he ruled longer
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:53 pm

Noobubersland wrote:

Yes, because you need to control the weather in order to purposefully take away all of the food that the Ukrainians grew, and not give them enough to live on, purely because they were Ukrainian.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Kohlastan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kohlastan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Typhlochactas wrote:
Kohlastan wrote:Actually Stalin killed more people he just did so over a long period of time. But Hitler manage to kill more people durring the time frame of his rule. So in basicly Hitler killed less just because he was in power for a shorter time.
My vote is Hitler

Hitler didn't kill everyone in ww2, technically. Stalin ruled till 56' giving him ample time to kill more people. Also your comparison include the Pacific theater which Hitler had little if anything to do with those deaths

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Camicon wrote:
Noobubersland wrote:I didn't realize that Stalin had complete control over weather and crop yields

Yes, because you need to control the weather in order to purposefully take away all of the food that the Ukrainians grew, and not give them enough to live on, purely because they were Ukrainian.

Bullshit, show me the orders to take it away specifically so that they couldn't live, you're also forgetting that this happened in every SSR. Was Stalin trying to kill every group in the USSR? (including Georgians, his own ethnic group?)
Last edited by Noobubersland on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Crogach
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Crogach » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:01 pm

On the one hand, Stalin ran up a higher body count than Hitler (I believe that something like 12 million people of all stripes, including ordinary political prisoners, died in the camps, while once you add the Holodomor to the generalized ugliness that went on under Stalin's regime you'd be looking at 20 or so million dead, with another couple of million who would have died if the Doctors' Plot had ever gotten off the ground), and that counts for a great deal.

However, when you look at the legacies they left behind and the reasons they did what they did, Hitler was far more evil than Stalin. I agree with Trot; Stalin did what he did because he was power-hungry and paranoid, and ordinary people lived hard and ugly lives that got uglier if they stepped out of line, but unless you were reasonably high up the food chain you weren't quite walking on eggshells 24/7, and at any rate it is entirely conceivable that ideological purity would be enough to protect you from disappearance, torture, reeducation, or execution. Furthermore, Stalin came to power in a state that was mostly agrarian and fairly backward and impoverished, and left it an industrial superpower (although in many ways just as impoverished).

By contrast, Hitler was so incredibly racist that it colored nearly every element of state policy; as Trot said, if you were Jewish or Roma or just not a white Saxon then you were a dead man walking regardless of your skill level, your ideological orthodoxy, or any other factor no matter how valuable that factor might make you to the regime. That kind of an irrational fixation with race on the part of the leadership, combined with a willingness to push everything else aside to satisfy that fixation, made Nazi Germany scarier than Stalinist Russia. Furthermore, Hitler inherited a Germany that had been beaten down but was slowly rebounding, fired the economists under him who had half a clue what they were doing, and left Germany a bombed-out ruin once more.

Hitler was undoubtedly more deranged as a man and worse for his nation than Stalin, and thus I'd say Hitler was much more evil.
Last edited by Crogach on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Camicon wrote:
Noobubersland wrote:I didn't realize that Stalin had complete control over weather and crop yields

The death of millions of Ukrainians during the collectivization wasn't genocide. Famine affected all of the agricultural regions, some worse than Ukraine. The whole project of Ukrainian national identity was one started and sponsored by the Bolsheviks, for one: most Ukrainians in that period, if asked what language they spoke or their nationality, would answer in thickly accented Russian that they themselves were Russian.

Modern Ukrainian nationalists, with their talk of the "Holodmor", are basically trying to deal with the fact that their ancestors were all willing executioners to the Bolshevik regime. Hence, the insistence that the collectivization were somehow an act of genocide against Ukrainians, when they weren't even a plurality of its victims.

Ukraine was also the place with the most peasants, regardless of whether they were Ukrainian, White Russian, Russian or Polish. The vast majority of the victims of the famine were peasants.

The policy was not targeted at Ukrainians as a people, it was targeted at the peasantry as a class. Peasants, especially freeholding kulaks were targeted because they were not an organic constitutency to the Bolshevik party. They needed to be proletarianized to serve the interests of the party-state.

Voluntarist methods were tried in the NEP, and they failed. Thus the party continued with forced collectivization, to destroy the peasantry as an independent class once and for all. This is a monstrous crime, but not all monstrous crimes are genocide. Suppressing people for their class, resulting often in death is not killing them for their race.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Kohlastan wrote:
Typhlochactas wrote:

Hitler didn't kill everyone in ww2, technically. Stalin ruled till 56' giving him ample time to kill more people. Also your comparison include the Pacific theater which Hitler had little if anything to do with those deaths

The Pacific War was half of the casualties of WW2. Even if I gave you the point of Hitler not causing it, he still killed more people.

Aquophia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aquophia » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Stalin has far more deaths to his name than hitler does. Not to mention communism. Should be pretty easy to figure out.

Of course, neither even come close to Mao.

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Aquophia wrote:Stalin has far more deaths to his name than hitler does. Not to mention communism. Should be pretty easy to figure out.

Of course, neither even come close to Mao.

Why do people keep forgetting WW2?

The Republic of Kentucky
Envoy

Founded: Jun 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Kentucky » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:05 pm

Hitler because atleast Stalins policys ended up improving his country and didn't cause the deadliest war in human history
General George Patton “May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't”
Admiral William Frederick "Bull" Halsey “There are no extraordinary men. Just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.”

Voltaire "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
Me "Only a few things in life are certain. Death, taxes, and most people wanting a time machine so they can kill Hitler."

Theodore Roosevelt "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Camicon wrote:Yes, because you need to control the weather in order to purposefully take away all of the food that the Ukrainians grew, and not give them enough to live on, purely because they were Ukrainian.

The death of millions of Ukrainians during the collectivization wasn't genocide. Famine affected all of the agricultural regions, some worse than Ukraine. The whole project of Ukrainian national identity was one started and sponsored by the Bolsheviks, for one: most Ukrainians in that period, if asked what language they spoke or their nationality, would answer in thickly accented Russian that they themselves were Russian.

Modern Ukrainian nationalists, with their talk of the "Holodmor", are basically trying to deal with the fact that their ancestors were all willing executioners to the Bolshevik regime. Hence, the insistence that the collectivization were somehow an act of genocide against Ukrainians, when they weren't even a plurality of its victims.

Ukraine was also the place with the most peasants, regardless of whether they were Ukrainian, White Russian, Russian or Polish. The vast majority of the victims of the famine were peasants.

The policy was not targeted at Ukrainians as a people, it was targeted at the peasantry as a class. Peasants, especially freeholding kulaks were targeted because they were not an organic constitutency to the Bolshevik party. They needed to be proletarianized to serve the interests of the party-state.

Voluntarist methods were tried in the NEP, and they failed. Thus the party continued with forced collectivization, to destroy the peasantry as an independent class once and for all. This is a monstrous crime, but not all monstrous crimes are genocide. Suppressing people for their class, resulting often in death is not killing them for their race.

I was looking for that, I knew you had written something on the subject before

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General