NATION

PASSWORD

Republicans show signs of Split.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Republicans show signs of Split.

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:17 am

The main GOP delegation from Maine, which leans libertarian, seeks to continue to Support Ron Paul( no one ever accused these guys of quitting). A challenge from what appears to be Romney seeks to unseat the delegates at the convention, unless they agree to support Romney. The delegation has rejected the compromise.

I think this is a poor tactic for Romney, The GOP needs to adopt a policy of appearing more big tent rather than the smaller your with us or against us appearance they currently produce.

Further, the GOP needs the libertarian wing to do well in the elections. Even with the seeking the Presidency is unlikely, but they would need the wing to win the Senate which is far more likely result of the election.

So what says NSG, good, bad, Muahhahaha ?
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:19 am

who is this benefiting the most?
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 am

What happened to the "United We Stand" classic folklore?

Vazeckta
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazeckta » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:39 am

Republicans will split, weaken them and the democrats will win out nationally for a while. Of course some die-hard red stays will remain, but as we see in Maine, I think that many less authoritarian republicans will begin to defect to the Libertarian party.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72
I would probably vote with the American Libertarian Party.
I'm a Christian.
Likes:Capitalism, Classical liberalism, religion, state secularism,gay marriage, charity, God
Dislikes:Left-wing economics, statism, authoritarianism, theocracy, state atheism, social security, welfare, UN, DPRK, PRC
Meh:Teetotalism, pro-choice, EU, legalizing drugs
Blazedtown wrote:
Gladia wrote:I hope you two don't plan on procreating.

Why? A family cross burning is a great bonding activity.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:59 am

TaQud wrote:who is this benefiting the most?

The democratic party, and unless there is a significant split, it'll most likely be a limited spill that will fix itself long before the election. If not, it will be a Ralph Nader like effect, but this is highly unlikely.

Even the libertarian party knows that on the scale of realism the Washington monument has a more significant chance of securing the nomination than Ron Paul. Very little independent support, relatively low Republican appeal, democrats only seem to like him on the occasional time part of their wing talk about non interventionism or the drug war, absolutely zero minority appeal. Not near enough money, not near enough political friends to challenge someone as competent as Obama in matters of elections. Seen as unpractical on a general scale, admired for his steadfastness sure, but reimplementing the gold standard, looking at how the housing market eclipses it even on a bad day? Anyone with a hint of macroeconomic understanding could understand the horrendous effects that would have and Churchill failed miserably long ago along the same economical lines, although this time it would be much worse. I also doubt cheap, industrialized meth would do wonders for communities such as Chicago and Baltimore, as the gangs there, not merely organized crime, but also a popular lifestyle while in all probability will drag more communities into such frantic levels.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:56 am

Honestly if the Split broadens, I see the Democrats taking back the House, something unlikely with the current districts if the Republicans remain United.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:56 am

Democrats. If the GOP splits, the Democrats will easily win a majority for quite a while. Maybe we'll be able to actually get stuff done.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:58 am

Divair wrote:

Democrats. If the GOP splits, the Democrats will easily win a majority for quite a while. Maybe we'll be able to actually get stuff done.

You mean like we did back in 2009 and 2010, when we controlled both houses?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:58 am

so basically Democrats would have the biggest benefit... (thanks to the last 3 posts)
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:59 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Divair wrote:Democrats. If the GOP splits, the Democrats will easily win a majority for quite a while. Maybe we'll be able to actually get stuff done.

Sadly elections do not give back bone.
Barack Obama

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 am

I'm not really sure it would benefit the more libertarian republicans to split off from the party, I don't think there are enough of them that a third party would gain much if any electoral success. Currently they benefit from the resources, and media attention brought from being associated with a major party, and both those would disappear if there were a split.
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 am

greed and death wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:You mean like we did back in 2009 and 2010, when we controlled both houses?

Sadly elections do not give backbone.

Truly. It's like Will Rogers said, "I don't belong to any organized political party. I'm a Democrat."
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:02 am

Good old Ron Paul, not content to simply be a failure, he has to drag down the rest of the Republican party with him.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:02 am

Silent Majority wrote:I'm not really sure it would benefit the more libertarian republicans to split off from the party, I don't think there are enough of them that a third party would gain much if any electoral success. Currently they benefit from the resources, and media attention brought from being associated with a major party, and both those would disappear if there were a split.

Remember, these are people who think Ron Paul would be good for the country.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:03 am

Khadgar wrote:Good old Ron Paul, not content to simply be a failure, he has to drag down the rest of the Republican party with him.

It is his followers, My guess is his Son will be put on the VP ticket, and Ron Paul will get to speak at the RNC.
Barack Obama

Ruridova
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruridova » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:05 am

The Democrats.
Республіка Рюрідова - Королівство Вілкія
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I needed clothes and you clothed me; I was sick and you looked after me; I was in prison and you came to visit me... Truly, whatever you did for one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did for me."
- the Gospel of Matthew, 25:35-40

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:06 am

greed and death wrote:
Khadgar wrote:Good old Ron Paul, not content to simply be a failure, he has to drag down the rest of the Republican party with him.

It is his followers, My guess is his Son will be put on the VP ticket, and Ron Paul will get to speak at the RNC.

"Romney-Paul 2012"? It does have a ring to it, I have to admit, though "Mitt/Rand" sounds a bit like a recent French President.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 am

While I don't know the infighting and rules,and whether romney's folks are right or wrong. unseating paul would make romney look more middle of the road to america. Giving him a more orderly convention, and better being able to show the party united behind him.

And who are the paul supporters going to vote for? Obama?
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Divair wrote:Democrats. If the GOP splits, the Democrats will easily win a majority for quite a while. Maybe we'll be able to actually get stuff done.

Damn blue dogs...
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 am

Farnhamia wrote:
greed and death wrote:

"Romney-Paul 2012"? It does have a ring to it, I have to admit, though "Mitt/Rand" sounds a bit like a recent French President.

If you look at the primaries, the one person Paul never attacked was Romney like he did the other candidates. So it is possible he may endorse Mitt.
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:11 am

Hittanryan wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:You mean like we did back in 2009 and 2010, when we controlled both houses?

Damn blue dogs...

Even the regular Democrats drug things out. A few hecklers form a town hall meeting and it took the President to get them back on track.
Barack Obama

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:11 am

Ethel mermania wrote:While I don't know the infighting and rules,and whether romney's folks are right or wrong. unseating paul would make romney look more middle of the road to america. Giving him a more orderly convention, and better being able to show the party united behind him.

A refusal to vote for Romney is a de facto vote for Obama, at least in several states.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:12 am

greed and death wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:Damn blue dogs...

Even the regular Democrats drug things out. A few hecklers form a town hall meeting and it took the President to get them back on track.

Yeah, the Congressional Democrats were pretty worthless as a whole, even discounting the blue dogs.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:13 am

Thank goodness. Ron Paul needs to form some new Ayn Rand-themed party.
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:13 am

Khadgar wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:While I don't know the infighting and rules,and whether romney's folks are right or wrong. unseating paul would make romney look more middle of the road to america. Giving him a more orderly convention, and better being able to show the party united behind him.

A refusal to vote for Romney is a de facto vote for Obama, at least in several states.

If your in a swing state not voting for Romney is a vote for Obama.
Barack Obama

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General