NATION

PASSWORD

Where Does Morality Come From?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Where does morality come from?

Cost-Benefit Analysis
11%
The Sanctity of Humanity
6%
God, the Spirit of Life, or Deities of some sort
9%
One's Various Communities
15%
The World Community as a Whole
8%
Biological Instincts
15%
Empathy for Others
16%
[insert complex scientific explanation here]
10%
There is No Morality
6%
Meh, who cares?
5%

Total votes : 410

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Volnotova wrote:
New Rogernomics wrote:Morality is derived from altruism, which is biologically (or genetically) inherited. As a sentient species we are capable of higher thinking than non-sentient species; some anthropologists argue sentience is determined by the ability to have creative/innovative thought, as well as fashion tools. Though other animals can dream {and fashion tools], so it is a difficult question as to whether other animals establish moral principles (and aren't solidly altruistic): http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2001/dreaming.html

Not all forms of morality are derived from altruism, some follow a deontological not utilitarian pattern(Although the utilitarian principles might be based on deontological thought).
I never said all forms of morality are derived from altruism: I said 'morality is derived from altruism', thus your counter-argument is based on a claim I never made.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:22 pm

Augarundus wrote:
New Rogernomics wrote:Morality is derived from altruism

Lol, Objectivism.
I am not an objectivist: http://richarddawkins.net/articles/6461 ... ral-beings
First of all, how do you define altruism?

Basically, altruism involves generosity outside of the family, meaning generosity toward non-kinsmen.
[...]Why is altruism so difficult to explain in evolutionary terms?

A typical hunter-gatherer band of the type that was universal in the world 15,000 years ago has a few brothers or sisters, but almost everyone else is unrelated. The fact that they do so much sharing is a paradox genetically. Here are all these unrelated people who are sharing without being bean counters. You would expect those who are best at cheating, and taking but not giving, to be coming out ahead. Their genes should be on the rise while altruistic genes would be going away. But, in fact, we are evolved to share quite widely in bands...
Last edited by New Rogernomics on Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Solidarity forever..."

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Definitely not God.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:17 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:
Volnotova wrote:
Not all forms of morality are derived from altruism, some follow a deontological not utilitarian pattern(Although the utilitarian principles might be based on deontological thought).
I never said all forms of morality are derived from altruism: I said 'morality is derived from altruism', thus your counter-argument is based on a claim I never made.

"Americans are paedophiles"

"Pardon?"

"I never said all Americans."

A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:42 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:
Volnotova wrote:

doesn't even require altruism really. the kind of world we all have to live in we each have to live in to at least some degree, so the factors which shape that are of self interest too.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Maybe three years ago now some Israeli scientists claimed to have identified an altruism gene. They said it was probably selected by evolution because self sacrifice can be good for the preservation of the tribe.

Of course, you would have to pass your genes on before you made that sacrifice in order for the system to work long-term.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Volnotova wrote:
New Rogernomics wrote:I never said all forms of morality are derived from altruism: I said 'morality is derived from altruism', thus your counter-argument is based on a claim I never made.

"Americans are pedophiles" - Corrected your spelling error.

"Pardon?"

Resize that image or put it in a spoiler.

Another to put on my ignore list, thanks for being an ass.

Addendum: 'X are Y' is different than 'X is Y'. 'Americans are pedophiles' is different from 'An American is a pedophile'; as the later relates to an individual. By using 'is' instead of 'are' you are not making the claim that 'Y' is true for all. But I don't see any point arguing further, if a troll face is all you can provide; as so far as forming an sensible argument.
Last edited by New Rogernomics on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Solidarity forever..."

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Cameroi wrote:
New Rogernomics wrote:I never said all forms of morality are derived from altruism: I said 'morality is derived from altruism', thus your counter-argument is based on a claim I never made.

doesn't even require altruism really. the kind of world we all have to live in we each have to live in to at least some degree, so the factors which shape that are of self interest too.
Of course. What I tried to explain to Volnotova"(before he acted like an ass) was that morality is derived from altruism according to some evolutionary biologists (and anthropologists); morality is shaped by our environment as well as by human thought.
"Solidarity forever..."

ALMF
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:33 pm

There are three surses of morality: made up by caltures and things, thoes based on conciquences, and those based on entent. Those in the first is arbitrary and copreshes. the latter two are about rashinality and by the second it is ONLY posible to be good without God.
a left social libertarian (all on a scale 0-10 with a direction: 0 centrist 10 extreme)
Left over right: 5.99
Libertarian over authoritarian: 4.2,
non-interventionist over neo-con: 5.14
Cultural liberal over cultural conservative: 7.6

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 5 percent are more extremist than you.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:37 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:
Volnotova wrote:
"Americans are paedophiles"

"Pardon?"

i'm pretty sure the only way they're "being an ass" THIS time, is the size of the stock image. previous occasions in other threads may be a different matter, but that would hardly apply here. and no, i don't recall specific instances, and could very easily have them confused with someone else using the same image.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:55 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Maybe three years ago now some Israeli scientists claimed to have identified an altruism gene. They said it was probably selected by evolution because self sacrifice can be good for the preservation of the tribe.

Of course, you would have to pass your genes on before you made that sacrifice in order for the system to work long-term.

or save siblings carrying those genes.
remember ants and bees exhibit altruism as we would define it.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:56 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:
Volnotova wrote:

all is understood in that context, you should have said some morality otherwise all is implied.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Cameroi wrote:
New Rogernomics wrote:Resize that image or put it in a spoiler.

i'm pretty sure the only way they're "being an ass" THIS time, is the size of the stock image. previous occasions in other threads may be a different matter, but that would hardly apply here. and no, i don't recall specific instances, and could very easily have them confused with someone else using the same image.
Reinterpreting a sentence i.e. making a claim that 'x' never stated, then using it as a punching bag is being an ass; I don't care what other people's limits are, I don't appreciate straw man arguments being used against me. :roll:
Last edited by New Rogernomics on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Solidarity forever..."

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Sociobiology wrote:

all is understood in that context, you should have said some morality otherwise all is implied.
Not so, 'are' and 'is' create different meanings. 'Morality is derived' is different from 'morality are derived'; and 'all forms of...' is an addition, thus that line of argument you just established is a straw man*.

Continue? :clap:

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
Person A has position X.
Person B disregards certain key points of X and instead presents the superficially similar position Y

Example:
Person A: We should liberalize the laws on beer.
Person B: No, any society with unrestricted access to intoxicants loses its work ethic and goes only for immediate gratification.
Last edited by New Rogernomics on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Solidarity forever..."

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:11 pm

Volnotova wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:
what claim?
I am hungry only claims that I fell the emotion or sensation of hunger.

what part of

those things are right or wrong only to the extent we behave as if they are

is giving you trouble? Because you obvious do not understand the statement. otherwise you would not be agreeing with it in an oppositional tone.

What part of "People just do" don't you understand?

any instictual behvior must have reason to have persisted in the evoltuion of a species.
people do not "just do" anything on the an ultimate scale.

Eating a rotting maggot infested corpse or a bucket of cow dung is just plain gross to many people, which is why they refrain from it,

correct and the reason your brain is shaped in such a way as to feel disgust at that, is because in the past animals who felt disgust at this were less likely to eat those things, and thus more likely to leave descendants, passing on that genetically controlled structure in the brain.

This entire "If you feel disgusted, that is because you really, deep inside, know/think it is immoral!" is getting really old now.
[/quote]
who said anything about knowing anything deep down inside, It is just why the behavior evolved, the behavior itself is just a pattern in the brain that makes avoiding things that smell a certain way.
Ultimate vs proximate causes here.
proximate you avoid it because of the feeling of disgust ( a disgust reflex)
the ultimate cause for that reflex existing is to avoid disease. The brain is not aware of the ultimate causes, (unless they learn about it, of course)
Last edited by Sociobiology on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:17 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:all is understood in that context, you should have said some morality otherwise all is implied.
Not so, 'are' and 'is' create different meanings. 'Morality is derived' is different from 'morality are derived'; and 'all forms of...' is an addition, thus that line of argument you just established is a straw man*.

Continue? :clap:

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
Person A has position X.
Person B disregards certain key points of X and instead presents the superficially similar position Y

Example:
Person A: We should liberalize the laws on beer.
Person B: No, any society with unrestricted access to intoxicants loses its work ethic and goes only for immediate gratification.

ha just got you were a troll never mind.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:18 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:
Volnotova wrote:
"Americans are pedophiles" - Corrected your spelling error.

"Pardon?"

Addendum: 'X are Y' is different than 'X is Y'. 'Americans are pedophiles' is different from 'An American is a pedophile'; as the later relates to an individual. By using 'is' instead of 'are' you are not making the claim that 'Y' is true for all. But I don't see any point arguing further, if a troll face is all you can provide; as so far as forming an sensible argument.

Paedophiles = British English.

"Are" is just "Is" when multiple instances/sequences/lists of something are involved.

"Americans" is a group, "are" is is(Verbose much?), paedophiles pertains to the inherent nature/property of that group, in this case that they are paedophiles.

An American is in [Americans], as one of the property of [Americans] is that they are paedophiles this also relates to the nature of the American(s) in [Americans](Or just [Americans]), therefore American A, which is in B, the latter which shares inherent property C also pertains to person A because he/she is in B.

This might not have been your intention, but I am not the only one that thought you implied all forms of morality.
Last edited by Volnotova on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:most may be stretching it.

and just because an instinct can be overridden does not mean it does not exist.
Unless you think humans do not have a pain avoidance instinct.

most isnt stretching it. ... unless you count "crimes of passion" as honor killings--where a man finds his wife with another man and kills them both, for example.

i dont know what you meant by the rest or why you said it to me.

well that would be considered an honor killing, a killing to punish a slight or perceived affront.
the passion in this case being an instinctual drive to avert competitors by establishing a reputation of reprisal.

I can honestly say I have no idea why I said the stricken part to you, It may have been meant for someone else.
I have to stop posting here late at night.

found it, it was in reference to your implication (perhaps unintentional) that morality was purely cultural.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:25 pm

Volnotova wrote:
New Rogernomics wrote:Resize that image or put it in a spoiler.

"Are" is just "Is" when multiple instances/sequences/lists of something are involved.

"Americans" is a group, "are" is is(Verbose much?), paedophiles pertains to the inherent nature/property of that group, in this case that they are paedophiles.

An American is in [Americans], as one of the property of [Americans] is that they are paedophiles this also relates to the nature of the American(s) in [Americans](Or just [Americans]), therefore American A, which is in B, the latter which shares inherent property C also pertains to person A because he/she is in B.

This might not have been your intention, but I am not the only one that thought you implied all forms of morality.
I never implied all forms of morality, rather that morality is derived from altruism according to the opinions of evolutionary biologists and anthropologists I have read; which was not to suggest that morality is derived totally from altruism.
Last edited by New Rogernomics on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Solidarity forever..."

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:25 pm

Krasny-Volny wrote:I like to think of my personal set of moral values as a code of chivalry.

so raping an unaccompanied woman is OK but if a man is with here you have to leave her alone, or at least kill him first?

just a little light mocking because that is what chivalry originally meant ;)

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:26 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:
Volnotova wrote:

I never implied all forms of morality, rather that morality is derived from altruism according to the opinions of evolutionary biologists and anthropologists I have read.

Again, my apologies for accusing you of trolling(A case of not seeing things in context).

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Volnotova wrote:
New Rogernomics wrote:I never implied all forms of morality, rather that morality is derived from altruism according to the opinions of evolutionary biologists and anthropologists I have read.

Again, my apologies for accusing you of trolling(A case of not seeing things in context).
That is fine, apology accepted. :hug:
"Solidarity forever..."

Nidaria
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:31 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Krasny-Volny wrote:I like to think of my personal set of moral values as a code of chivalry.

so raping an unaccompanied woman is OK but if a man is with here you have to leave her alone, or at least kill him first?

just a little light mocking because that is what chivalry originally meant ;)

You obviously do not know what chivalry is.
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic 25%
Secular/Fundamentalist 67%
Visionary/Reactionary 21%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian 6%
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%
Ecological/Anthropocentric 52%

Kalalification
Envoy

Founded: Sep 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalalification » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:34 pm

There is no morality. Well, there is, in one sense, but it exists because we make it out to be extant. Exactly like race.

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Personal opinions.
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General