NATION

PASSWORD

Your opinion of Baptists

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:44 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Caninope wrote:Dear Lord.

I, and a lot of other Southern Baptists, am most certainly not an anti-science extremist.

It doesn't matter, Southern Baptist is a denomination that means there's an official stance.

Except there's not.

The only are only a few real stances the Southern Baptists hold by (and really, any Baptists). They are that (a) each Church congregation is supreme (this includes the right to pick and/or ordain its own ministers), (b) most other denominations practice too many rites (hence why Baptists only practice 2 or 3 rites, as opposed to the 7 sacraments of the Roman Catholic Church), (c) baptism should happen with the believer.

Honestly, there isn't an official stance on the issue. The Southern Baptist Convention can issue a decision on it, but neither the state conventions nor the congregations need to adhere to the decision. And honestly, the SBC can't even decide whether it's Calvinist or Arminian right now. Hasn't been able to decide that for decades. That SBC is just a convention, and not actually a governing authority because of this.

But this best describes the views of the SBC (and Baptists in general).
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Raeyh wrote:Baptists are always portrayed as the fire and brimstone Protestants.

I have no clue if that's actually true or not.

With some Baptists, it is. With others, it's not.
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Raeyh
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Raeyh » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Caninope wrote:
Raeyh wrote:Baptists are always portrayed as the fire and brimstone Protestants.

I have no clue if that's actually true or not.

With some Baptists, it is. With others, it's not.

Such a wishy-washy answer.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Milks Empire wrote:
Caninope wrote:Why is this so surprising?
Me and NK have the long running joke of me being the Southern Baptist Pope.

So that's what that means.

It actually goes back to the fact that someone actually called me Caninpope, and I noted in my signature. NK expanded on it, and I accepted the term, adding Southern Baptist as a nice little prefix.

Why? Because in Baptism, if you say you're something, then essentially, you get to be that something. Many Baptist denominations actually have to requirements to become a pastor, other than ordination by a local congregation.

In fact, Baptism is a very egalitarian and democratic group of denominations, simply by the way Baptist churches are governed.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:49 pm

Raeyh wrote:
Caninope wrote:With some Baptists, it is. With others, it's not.

Such a wishy-washy answer.

It's not wishy-washy, it's true. There's very few beliefs that Baptist congregations live by. Fire and brimstone Fundamentalism is not one of them, hence you've got a lot of churches (not denominations, individual churches mind you) that are like that, and a lot that aren't.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Caninope wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:
It doesn't matter, Southern Baptist is a denomination that means there's an official stance.

Except there's not.

The only are only a few real stances the Southern Baptists hold by (and really, any Baptists). They are that (a) each Church congregation is supreme (this includes the right to pick and/or ordain its own ministers), (b) most other denominations practice too many rites (hence why Baptists only practice 2 or 3 rites, as opposed to the 7 sacraments of the Roman Catholic Church), (c) baptism should happen with the believer.

Honestly, there isn't an official stance on the issue. The Southern Baptist Convention can issue a decision on it, but neither the state conventions nor the congregations need to adhere to the decision. And honestly, the SBC can't even decide whether it's Calvinist or Arminian right now. Hasn't been able to decide that for decades. That SBC is just a convention, and not actually a governing authority because of this.

Yes, the Baptist conventions shouldn't be confused with Presbyterian General Assemblies(or Synods). Determinations of the conventions have no binding what-so-ever short of being a suggestion.
Such heroic nonsense!

Sedikal
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sedikal » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:53 pm

I personally find then the Goofies of all the sects but most of the are good people and I find them to be fun people hang around despite my opinion that Christianity is silly and what not.
Nice Little Quotes
“Kindness is the golden chain by which society is bound together.”
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Yet human intelligence has another force, too: the sense of urgency that gives human smarts their drive. Perhaps our intelligence is not just ended by our mortality; to a great degree, it is our mortality.
-Adam Gopnik

Fighting for peace, is like fucking for chastity
-Stephen King

Proud Member of the New Democrats in the NSG Senate
Political Compass of Sedikal
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!

Turchynov/Yatsenyuk
Russia Out Of Crimea

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Tekania wrote:
Caninope wrote:Except there's not.

Yes, the Baptist conventions shouldn't be confused with Presbyterian General Assemblies(or Synods). Determinations of the conventions have no binding what-so-ever short of being a suggestion.

That's why you have just as many Evangelicals in the SBC as Fundamentalists, even though being a true Fundamentalist is pretty incompatible with being an Evangelical. Not completely, but you have to bend the tenets of either one to fit them together.

Anyway, the Fundamentalists took control of the SBC in 1979 or 1980 or so, and they haven't actually been able to fully enforce their theology on, well, anyone.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Caninope wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:So that's what that means.

It actually goes back to the fact that someone actually called me Caninpope, and I noted in my signature. NK expanded on it, and I accepted the term, adding Southern Baptist as a nice little prefix.
Why? Because in Baptism, if you say you're something, then essentially, you get to be that something. Many Baptist denominations actually have to requirements to become a pastor, other than ordination by a local congregation.
In fact, Baptism is a very egalitarian and democratic group of denominations, simply by the way Baptist churches are governed.

Isn't that the effect of the congregationalist polity?

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:38 pm

Milks Empire wrote:
Caninope wrote:It actually goes back to the fact that someone actually called me Caninpope, and I noted in my signature. NK expanded on it, and I accepted the term, adding Southern Baptist as a nice little prefix.

Isn't that the effect of the congregationalist polity?

Basically, yes.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:40 pm

People.

Some are good, some are bad, most are somewhere in-between.

Why the hell Baptism would have any affect on that is beyond me.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:45 pm

Good people, usually, so long as they aren't preaching to you. I strongly disapprove of much of the anti-education rhetoric that tends to spawn from the many of the Fundie groups, and have deep animosity towards the charlatans that run the "Mega-Churchs", but I agree with many of the initial sentiments of the Baptist movement. It's just that many of the followers don't even know their factions original sentiments.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:51 pm

What kind of Baptist would I be? I define myself as being of any particular group of Baptist.
1 John 1:9

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Nordengrund wrote:What kind of Baptist would I be? I define myself as being of any particular group of Baptist.

I don't know. What does your congregation look like?
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:54 pm

They've got good people and bad people...

Just like every other demonination of Christianty...

Just like every class of people in the world...

Personally, most of my friends are either Baptist or Catholic, so I know a bit about both...
And so it was, that I had never changed.

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Nordengrund wrote:What kind of Baptist would I be? I define myself as being of any particular group of Baptist.

From your sig, you sound like a conservative Southern Baptist, Do you consider the Bible the verbatum word of God?

If so your a Biblical Literalist Conservative Southern Baptist.
British, Orthodox Christian, humanist and stoic.

Pro. Disraelian Progressive Conservatism, One Nation Toryism, Distributionism, Civil Liberties, Pro UK, Pro US Constitution. Pro USA.

Progressive Conservative Economic Right: 0.38 Social Libertarian -2.00.

Christian Democrat NSG Senate.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:00 pm

The Realm of God wrote:

From your sig, you sound like a conservative Southern Baptist, Do you consider the Bible the verbatum word of God?

I guess I am, a do take most of the Bible literally except for Ezekiel's vision and the book of Revelation.

Unlike most Southern Baptists, I think drinking alcohol in moderation is not a sin.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Nordengrund wrote:
The Realm of God wrote:

I guess I am, a do take most of the Bible literally except for Ezekiel's vision and the book of Revelation.

Unlike most Southern Baptists, I think drinking alcohol in moderation is not a sin.

See, this is what I find humorous about Baptists. They pick and choose what they want to believe. It's practically like being a non-denom Christian.

Although, I would think about adding Genesis to the do not take literally list if you really wanted to be politically correct.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Nordengrund wrote:
The Realm of God wrote:

Most Southern Baptists I've run into do not believe that.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Franco-Philia wrote:I live in a state with one of the highest percentages of Southern Baptists in the country and my county is one of the most religious counties in said state. It's...horrible. They regularly protest schools, reading lists, and ANYTHING that disagrees with them. All the local papers and organizations cater to their ridiculous ideologies and they openly mock liberal, nonbelievers, and other denominations. There was a big scandal here when some Baptist teachers starting telling Catholic students they were going to burn in hell. The biggest Baptist church around here shut down two of its food ministries because they thought "dirty, illegal Mexicans are abusing it!" They're all tea party conservatives and they spend FAR more money on fighting evolution, putting the ten commandments up in public buildings and spitting on liberals than actually helping the poor because (as many of them I know personally would put it) "they're just lazy and pathetic...God likes a working man!"

It does not surprise me that my county and my state has one of the most deplorable education records in the country and the Baptist-run schools around here are regularly investigated for not meeting standards and hiring abominable teachers.

Baptists in America have got to be just one of the worst denominations of Christianity out there.

You can't even buy alcohol in my town because of them; my friend on the City Council tried to get alcohol sales legalised to stop a budget crisis (their options to balance the budget were: legalise alcohol sales, fire 70 workers, or raise property taxes by 24%) but, the Southern Baptists got together and protesed his bill (which was about to pass) in the thousands [impressive considering my town has less than ten thousand residents] and said that if the measure passed, they would vote them all out of office. They are fundamentalists also; they tried to bully my state into legalising the teaching of creationism in schools, fortunately the State Supreme Court stopped them.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:25 pm

Nordengrund wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:How are Baptists persecuted? "Persecution" has a specific meaning, you know, and I don't believe it includes "other people disagreeing with you."

I just read it somewhere online, though I am not sure if they were persecuted as in beaten or killed, or persecuted as in people disagreed with us.

All I know is that they got on the bad side of both Protestants and Catholics.

You're thinking of Anabaptists. Baptists, IIRC, are Protestants.

Nordengrund wrote:It is because the Witnesses believe that the Holy Trinity is three different Gods instead of one. They are polytheists.

That's the Mormons (though they'd contest the semantics). The Witnesses don't view Jesus as divine, and don't view the Holy Spirit as an independent entity.

Chetssaland wrote:Also, Jesus says the Old Testament is still valid. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." (Matthew 5:17)

When you consider that he also said the entire law is to love God and your neighbor, it's a little more up for interpretation than that.

Nordengrund wrote:
Norstal wrote:O.P says they don't follow the Old Testament.
Minutes later, O.P follows Old Testament.

Again, explain the logic in that.

What I mean is that I follow both, but if one testament has a view that contradicts the view of the other testament, I go with the New Testament.

ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Meryuma wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:
I just read it somewhere online, though I am not sure if they were persecuted as in beaten or killed, or persecuted as in people disagreed with us.

All I know is that they got on the bad side of both Protestants and Catholics.

You're thinking of Anabaptists. Baptists, IIRC, are Protestants.

Nordengrund wrote:It is because the Witnesses believe that the Holy Trinity is three different Gods instead of one. They are polytheists.

That's the Mormons (though they'd contest the semantics). The Witnesses don't view Jesus as divine, and don't view the Holy Spirit as an independent entity.

Chetssaland wrote:Also, Jesus says the Old Testament is still valid. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." (Matthew 5:17)

When you consider that he also said the entire law is to love God and your neighbor, it's a little more up for interpretation than that.

Nordengrund wrote:
What I mean is that I follow both, but if one testament has a view that contradicts the view of the other testament, I go with the New Testament.

I do not understand your image.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Indifferent, really.

As long as they don't try to meddle in my affairs, I'm fine.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Nordengrund wrote:I do not understand your image.

"Moving the goalposts"
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:I do not understand your image.

"Moving the goalposts"

I know what they are doing, I just see how it was relevant about my sentence he quoted.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General