NATION

PASSWORD

Have I no right?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:I love how the pro-abortion crowd acts as though the fetus is some sort of criminal mastermind bent on female domination.

Ah yes, female domination; a subject you are most versed in.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

WWII History Geeks
Minister

Founded: Mar 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby WWII History Geeks » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Iceland-Thule wrote:Wow. Some of you actually comapare fetuses to parasites and cancer.
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU

Thank you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
The goldfish crackers will win. Do you know why they smile? Because when they get inside you they start eating you from the inside out.

Grandtaria: "I would rather live my life each day thinking there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than to live my thinking that there isn't and die to find out there is."
Conservative Morality: "When in Rome, do as the Romans. When out of Rome, do as the Romans anyway, it's not like anyone is ballsy enough to piss off Rome."

Finally fixed: The thread may be gone, but I'm still a "To Hell with This'er!," damnit! :D

Boob sisters with Celestial Divinities!

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:48 pm

WWII History Geeks wrote:
Araraukar wrote:
WWII History Geeks wrote:She (or he) had a heartbeat at 8 weeks. Specialized cells and a shape at 4. At 12, you can tell it's a human. At 20, the nervous system works.I think that constitutes ALIVE.

So's a tapeworm. You'd argue if I wanted one of those out of my body?

Hey, everything's gotta live.

The counter argument would be "but, does it have to live in me?".
I identify as
a problem

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:48 pm

La Dame Sans Merci wrote:Woman's choice my ass. I'm a woman and I believe there should be no choice.

Okay... so you're up for being physically overpowered, sexually violated and then having to life the remainder of your life with a living, breathing reminder of that horrible event? Give us a call when that's actually happened to you, and maybe then your "I'm a woman" cry has some merit.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:48 pm

La Dame Sans Merci wrote:
Hiddenrun wrote:
Surote wrote:
Quotation Marks wrote:Regardless, would it be okay for me to be murdered now if I had not been convicted of a crime? I think we'll all agree no. So would it have been perfectly fine to have killed me then?

You weren't alive you were nothing but a fetus

She (or he) had a heartbeat at 8 weeks. Specialized cells and a shape at 4. At 12, you can tell it's a human. At 20, the nervous system works.I think that constitutes ALIVE.

Don't waste your time. They have worked hard to dehumanize the fetus, calling it a parasite, a non-being, a collection of tissues, etc. Bringing up these things will not help as if they had to accept any of it, their dehumanization process would falter. Can't have that, it's about women's choice, damnit!

Woman's choice my ass. I'm a woman and I believe there should be no choice. It's not f***ing right to kill for comfort, no matter what you use to try and get around it. PERIOD. >:(

So choose not to get an abortion, no skin off my nose. What gives you the right to insist that every other women must make the same choice as you?

P.S. welcome back LDSM haven't seen you around in a while...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

WWII History Geeks
Minister

Founded: Mar 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby WWII History Geeks » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Chrobalta wrote:
Araraukar wrote:
CIB EMPIRE wrote:Their is no overcrowding problem, the worlds population could actually fit inside of texas.

Good, let's put all humans into Texas and see how long it takes us as a species to become endangered. I'm game for that. You?

Sounds like a helluva reality TV show if you ask me.

:rofl: :rofl:
The goldfish crackers will win. Do you know why they smile? Because when they get inside you they start eating you from the inside out.

Grandtaria: "I would rather live my life each day thinking there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than to live my thinking that there isn't and die to find out there is."
Conservative Morality: "When in Rome, do as the Romans. When out of Rome, do as the Romans anyway, it's not like anyone is ballsy enough to piss off Rome."

Finally fixed: The thread may be gone, but I'm still a "To Hell with This'er!," damnit! :D

Boob sisters with Celestial Divinities!

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Iceland-Thule wrote:Wow. Some of you actually comapare fetuses to parasites and cancer.

BOLD CAPS ALERT! BOLD CAPS ALERT!

Seriously, it's honestly not such a barbaric and idiotic comparison, as you claim with no evidence to counteract upon their perspectives and said comparisons.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

North Suran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Viewing life as a valuable and precious thing doesn't mean you won't lose it, just by the way.

There's a difference between dropping napalm on villages of men, women and children... and removing an embryo. I'm a little disturbed if you don't see that.

But let's be honest here. We aren't just talking about embryos. We're talking about developed fetuses too. With recognizably human features. Of course, it always goes back to "embryos" when making the kinds of comparisons you have here. Makes it less heinous I suppose.

Could I have some actual argument with your self-righteous appeals to emotion?
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Hiddenrun
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hiddenrun » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:49 pm

North Suran wrote:Actually...no.

I do believe that he stated that eagles are an endangered species, while humans are not - an irrefutable point.

But hey, I wouldn't expect you to use any of this namby-pamby "legitimate debating" nonsense; after all, it's far easier to just throw ad hominem attacks against all those who have committed the sheer crime of going on the same thread as you.

Sorry, what is the point of stating that humans are not endangered while eagles are, if not to say that killing humans (babies) isn't as bad as killing eagles? GnI specifically stated that such an argument was a strawman. Perhaps you can make sense of the statement then? Or was it one of those unrelated "water is wet" statements?
Holder of unpopular opinions.

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Founded: Mar 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tofu Islands » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:I love how the pro-abortion crowd acts as though the fetus is some sort of criminal mastermind bent on female domination.

I find it amusing how the anti-choice crowd insists on implying that pro-choicers actually want abortions to happen. And I find it amusing how they regularly completely and utterly miss the point.
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:50 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:
Muravyets wrote:And alive gives it a right to take over another person's body against their will? First off, alive =/= person, but for the moment, let's pretend it does. If I am not obligated to donate my kidney, or even my blood, even if it is necessary to save your life, why should I be obliged to donate my uterus to somebody else's use, unless I want to?

I love how the pro-abortion crowd acts as though the fetus is some sort of criminal mastermind bent on female domination.

I can see you've been seperated, and it was clearly on unpleasant terms, but... do you still at least get visitation rights to 'reality'?
I identify as
a problem

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:50 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:Being 'alive' doesn't make you a human life.

Cancers are 'alive'.

But do they have a heartbeat and organs?

Some of them do, especially if it's a case of parasitical twin. Which reminds me, how would you feel about removing one of those from the host body without which it couldn't survive?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:50 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Surote wrote:
Quotation Marks wrote:Regardless, would it be okay for me to be murdered now if I had not been convicted of a crime? I think we'll all agree no. So would it have been perfectly fine to have killed me then?

She (or he) had a heartbeat at 8 weeks. Specialized cells and a shape at 4. At 12, you can tell it's a human. At 20, the nervous system works.I think that constitutes ALIVE.

Being 'alive' doesn't make you a human life.

Cancers are 'alive'.

But do they have a heartbeat and organs?

So, a human life is determined by heartbeat and organs?

Most humans have them...

So do cats, dogs, cows, etc.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:50 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:
Muravyets wrote:I just enjoy the way some people seem to think that if they make the whole issue personal and extremely emotional it will...what? Make people feel awkward about debating it? They don't know us very well, do they?

Since (A) there is no way to know if the OP is lying or telling the truth and (B) it doesn't matter anyway because anecdotal arguments do not win debates, I dismiss the entire OP as being based on an appeal to emotion fallacy.

Oh look at me! I am going to spot the fallacy and win the game! Do I get a lollipop? Gosh I'm so smart.

Hiddenrun wrote:
Muravyets wrote:Your bridge is missing you.

Ho ho ho! I'm going to barge into threads, score my magical "fallacy" points, call people trolls and win some prizes, and then chortle about how I'm so far above these silly threads. So far above them that I can't stop myself from posting in them, because I honestly have nothing better to do with my time! It helps fill the gaping void.

Warned for flamebaiting. Stop making personal attacks.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:50 pm

They suffer from a tragic affliction that causes them to see the similarities between things that function similarly in reality.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:
Muravyets wrote:And alive gives it a right to take over another person's body against their will? First off, alive =/= person, but for the moment, let's pretend it does. If I am not obligated to donate my kidney, or even my blood, even if it is necessary to save your life, why should I be obliged to donate my uterus to somebody else's use, unless I want to?

I love how the pro-abortion crowd acts as though the fetus is some sort of criminal mastermind bent on female domination.

Yet one of the first acts of any newborn baby is to clamp firmly onto a woman's breast. *nod*
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

La Dame Sans Merci
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby La Dame Sans Merci » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
La Dame Sans Merci wrote:
Hiddenrun wrote:
Surote wrote:

Don't waste your time. They have worked hard to dehumanize the fetus, calling it a parasite, a non-being, a collection of tissues, etc. Bringing up these things will not help as if they had to accept any of it, their dehumanization process would falter. Can't have that, it's about women's choice, damnit!

Woman's choice my ass. I'm a woman and I believe there should be no choice. It's not f***ing right to kill for comfort, no matter what you use to try and get around it. PERIOD. >:(

So choose not to get an abortion, no skin off my nose. What gives you the right to insist that every other women must make the same choice as you?

P.S. welcome back LDSM haven't seen you around in a while...

The right to know that I am right. Call it arrogance but everyone thinks it on the inside.

P.S. Haven't seen you in a while either! Although I can't seem to remember exactly who you are...

Hiddenrun
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hiddenrun » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 pm

North Suran wrote:
Hiddenrun wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
I didn't say it was okay to kill humans.

I know, I know, you get around that by defining unborn children as non-human. It's okay. I dehumanized the people I had to kill too. I understand the process well. You have to believe it, or you couldn't live with yourself.

Case in point.

When you're relying on Hiddenrun to substantiated your argument, you know it's pretty damn flawed.

I thought liberals were above dismissing arguments because of the person making it?

Oh wait, no I didn't actually buy that crap.

CIB EMPIRE
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby CIB EMPIRE » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 pm

Thank you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The truth is, no matter how they deny is that most of these people are 12 yr olds that have been fed those lies in the health classes at school.
Join the Anti World Assembly

The AWA is dedicated to bringing down the World Assembly. Nations need the WA's permission to invading a region because only WA nations may invade!The WA is able to condemn non members but not vice versa. Members are forced to comply with the many unjust laws the WA imposes onto them. No one truely runs their own nation, you serve as a mere puppet of the WA unless you decide to do something about it! Others say it cant be done but why do so many try and stop us? The answer is simple, the WA can be brought down if enough nations band together and stand against it! The AWA is commited to uniteing all regions that are against the WA because a unified force will be unstopable! So join us and become part of the biggest thing that this game has ever seen!

North Suran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:
North Suran wrote:Actually...no.

I do believe that he stated that eagles are an endangered species, while humans are not - an irrefutable point.

But hey, I wouldn't expect you to use any of this namby-pamby "legitimate debating" nonsense; after all, it's far easier to just throw ad hominem attacks against all those who have committed the sheer crime of going on the same thread as you.

Sorry, what is the point of stating that humans are not endangered while eagles are, if not to say that killing humans (babies) isn't as bad as killing eagles? GnI specifically stated that such an argument was a strawman. Perhaps you can make sense of the statement then? Or was it one of those unrelated "water is wet" statements?

Or perhaps - and this is a long shot - he was making the obvious point in response to the claim that "Eagles were better protected than fetuses"?

But you're right; if you warp its meaning to serve your own interests, he does advocate infanticide.

Funk4ever
Envoy

Founded: Aug 13, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Funk4ever » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 pm

North Suran wrote:
Hiddenrun wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Viewing life as a valuable and precious thing doesn't mean you won't lose it, just by the way.

There's a difference between dropping napalm on villages of men, women and children... and removing an embryo. I'm a little disturbed if you don't see that.

But let's be honest here. We aren't just talking about embryos. We're talking about developed fetuses too. With recognizably human features. Of course, it always goes back to "embryos" when making the kinds of comparisons you have here. Makes it less heinous I suppose.

Could I have some actual argument with your self-righteous appeals to emotion?

He's saying that embryo's and more developed fetuses should be treated differently? :meh:
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.21

Moral Compass: New Progressive
Societal: 36
Personal: -24

"Capitalism is extremely simple, brutal, and it works. Communism is very complicated, completely humane and doesn't work at all."

"An American mainstream no longer exists."

Hiddenrun
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hiddenrun » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Hydesland wrote:Am I the only person who thinks it's all bullshit? That it's all complex arguments extrapolated from appeals to emotion and instinct (on both sides)? And that in reality there is no way of determining whether governments should allow abortions or shouldn't?

Nope, you're not the only one. I don't think there is any objective rationale one way or the other.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
hu·man (hymn)
n.
1. A member of the genus Homo and especially of the species H. sapiens.
2. A person: the extraordinary humans who explored Antarctica.
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of humans: the course of human events; the human race.
2. Having or showing those positive aspects of nature and character regarded as distinguishing humans from other animals: an act of human kindness.
3. Subject to or indicative of the weaknesses, imperfections, and fragility associated with humans: a mistake that shows he's only human; human frailty.
4. Having the form of a human.
5. Made up of humans: formed a human bridge across the ice.

Happy now? And by the way, according to this definition in the standard dictionary, a fetus is a human.

That's certainly a better definition than the 'heartbeat and organs' offering - but all you've shown is that a foetus is 'human' (which no one has denied), not that it is 'a human life'.

As I said before - cancers are human tissue - but they aren't people.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

You've been arguing about 'rights' for something that everyone agrees is human TISSUE... you have yet to show that it has a legitimate claim on human 'rights', since we're pretty exclusive about those things. We don't give 'rights' to monkey (so just being 'alive' isn't enough), we don't give rights to corpses (so just being human tissue isn't enough)... so what's your specific argument for why an embryo gets to claim rights?
I identify as
a problem

Tunizcha
Senator

Founded: Mar 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tunizcha » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Rights are reliant on choice. If you can distinguish between distinct choices, then you have rights. So a baby, who can choose whether or not he does something has the rights of a human being. A developing fetus who has no experiences, no memories, no choice, does not. The mother on the other hand- I know you know where I'm going with this. I would have reiterated it, but I have homework to do and films to watch.
Barzan wrote: I'll stick with rape, thank you.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It's Rape night on NSG.
*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

This is Koji. Copy and paste Koji to your sig so he can acheive world domination.

North Suran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Hiddenrun wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
I didn't say it was okay to kill humans.

I know, I know, you get around that by defining unborn children as non-human. It's okay. I dehumanized the people I had to kill too. I understand the process well. You have to believe it, or you couldn't live with yourself.

Case in point.

When you're relying on Hiddenrun to substantiated your argument, you know it's pretty damn flawed.

I thought liberals were above dismissing arguments because of the person making it?

Oh wait, no I didn't actually buy that crap.

I don't recall "dismissing" it - and indeed, I have been responding to your 'points'.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General