NATION

PASSWORD

Chick-Fil-A Apppreciation Day

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aleckandor
Minister

Founded: May 30, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aleckandor » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Another Conclusion: KFC is still better. Chick-Fil-A's shit isn't worth anybody's time, even if their boss is a homophobe or not.
Last edited by Aleckandor on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♜♞♝ ~ THE GLOBAL SOVEREIGN CONFEDERACY OF ALECKANDOR ~ ♝♞♜
The IC demonym is "Aleckandorean(s)". Just call me Aleck.
"ANYBODY THAT SAID YOU WON'T EAT XMAS AND NEW YEAR RICE, LET THEM DIE BY FIRE!" - Based Ugandan (?) Chef

Confederate Constituencies | Ethnocultural Groups | Yerhvennian Continent Map | Diplomatic Relationships
RP Tech: MT/PMT | Total GDP: $354.6 Trillion | Population (2020): 24.7 Billion | Standing Military: 10.3 Million

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Aleckandor wrote:Another Conclusion: KFC is still better. Chick-Fil-A's shit isn't worth anybody's time, even if their boss is a homophobe or not.

Does Popeye's not exist outside the Bayou and the Midwest or something?
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Zanzibarnia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanzibarnia » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:49 pm

Galla- wrote:
Aleckandor wrote:Another Conclusion: KFC is still better. Chick-Fil-A's shit isn't worth anybody's time, even if their boss is a homophobe or not.

Seriously, there's a third option here, people.

Popeye's. Fuck yeah.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Chick-Fil-A is a christian company that has christian values? Really? I guess they have never read the bible... Or does he mean conservative republican values?
Did you see a ghost?

Menelmacar
Retired Moderator

Founded: Dec 18, 2002
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Menelmacar » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:31 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:A Menelmacar sighting? Rare indeed!

Indeed! I do pop up now and again.

And yes, Popeyes is also win.
Last edited by Menelmacar on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The elves will do what is right, not what is on paper." ~Sunset
"We can't go around supporting The Good Of All Things. People might mistake us for Menelmacar." ~Education Minister Lobon of Kn-Yan
"Do you realize you're trying to sell resources to Menelmafuckingcar? Their resource base is larger than Melkor's ego." ~Advisor Julius Razak, Foot-to-Ass Section, Scolopendra
"I started on NS at a time when elf genocides were daily occurrences from week old nations wanting to get ortilleried by Menelmacar." ~Resurgent Dream
"Nothing here but rich-ass elves. Just...running the world. And shopping." ~Officer Daryl Ward, LAPD

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:38 pm

Galla- wrote:

Around here chicken joints can be used as indicators of what neighborhood you're in. Middle class neighborhood, KFC. Lower/working class neighborhood, Popeyes. Churches? Lock your doors.

El Pollo Loco you might exist in a place with more stores than houses. Though they have some tasty stuff.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:27 am

Why is this even a big deal to begin with?

Was anyone actually stupid enough to think that a company founded in the deep south that is closed on Sunday regarding Christian tradition will be pro Gay marriage?

Yeah the founder may be a homophobe but his heirs will be a little more open minded, considering the rumor that they force the kids to spend a year working as an actual regular employee before getting their cut I'm sure they're exposed to gay couples and will have a more neutral opinion on them.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

R Ev0lution
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby R Ev0lution » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:30 am

greed and death wrote:
R Ev0lution wrote:
No, they're not, but it doesn't change the fact that I get to put my hard-earned money where I want to. If your restaurant doesn't respect LGBT rights, I'll find a fast-food place that does.

By the way, your bus driver was allowed to make you sit in the back of the bus back when the boycotts were going on. Which is why, you know, the boycotts happened in the first place.

And you still utterly missed my point -- I wasn't trying to show that the bigotry of Montgomery bus drivers in the 1950s is somehow identical or even analogous to what Chick-Fil-A is doing now. However, I was trying to show that your money does speak for you sometimes, which you would've realized if you had also read the previous post and made a few logical connections between what I was responding to and what I said.

No one is denying you the right to boycott, just curious what you think it will accomplish ?

They are respecting LGBT rights, they in the course their actions as a company do not discriminate. Chik-fil-a is not a chapel they do not marry people.

They do not discriminate against gay customers
They do not discriminate against gay employees, with the possible exception of not providing benefits to same sex couples but less be honest the employers who do not discriminate in that regard are in the minority right now.

So if your boycotting them you are boycotting them for having an opinion. What do you think that will accomplish ?
Bankrupt Chik-fil-a and leave a bunch of employees without jobs. The CEO will still have the same opinion and if anything might become more extreme.

When lunch counters and bus lines were boycotted they were boycotted for actions by the restaurants and the buslines, and to change action.

Boycotts are great for changing the actions of the targeted company, not for changing the opinion of the CEO. Changing opinions really must be reserved for civil discourse.

The fact that Chick-Fil-A doesn't openly discriminate against LGBT individuals doesn't actually mean anything to me. Sexual-orientation-based discrimination is illegal in 21 states. It's also illegal in Atlanta, where Chick-Fil-A's headquarters are. So... You know, the fact that they don't discriminate against LGBT communities means nothing to me, since they can't legally do it. For all I know, they would discriminate against LGBT customers and employees if they legally could.

Also, the CEO didn't say "I personally believe in traditional marriage" as a personal opinion. As a representative of Chick-Fil-A, he said that the company supports "the Biblical definition of the family unit." Meaning that, as an organization, Chick-Fil-A is opposed to same-sex marriage. Meaning that the company that is Chick-Fil-A, as a collective, opposes LGBT rights, even if some individual employees might not.

Meaning that, you know, one ostensible objective for a hypothetical boycott might be to just drive the entire company into the ground.
Last edited by R Ev0lution on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:32 am

Zanzibarnia wrote:
Galla- wrote:

Popeye's. Fuck yeah.

We don't have Popeye's up here in the mountains, sadly enough.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:40 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Zanzibarnia wrote:

Popeye's. Fuck yeah.

We don't have Popeye's up here in the mountains, sadly enough.

Damn, you might live your entire life not knowing that there is such a thing as a decent fast food biscuit.

You know, when I type it out it doesn't seem that tragic...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:09 am

R Ev0lution wrote:
greed and death wrote:
No one is denying you the right to boycott, just curious what you think it will accomplish ?

They are respecting LGBT rights, they in the course their actions as a company do not discriminate. Chik-fil-a is not a chapel they do not marry people.

They do not discriminate against gay customers
They do not discriminate against gay employees, with the possible exception of not providing benefits to same sex couples but less be honest the employers who do not discriminate in that regard are in the minority right now.

So if your boycotting them you are boycotting them for having an opinion. What do you think that will accomplish ?
Bankrupt Chik-fil-a and leave a bunch of employees without jobs. The CEO will still have the same opinion and if anything might become more extreme.

When lunch counters and bus lines were boycotted they were boycotted for actions by the restaurants and the buslines, and to change action.

Boycotts are great for changing the actions of the targeted company, not for changing the opinion of the CEO. Changing opinions really must be reserved for civil discourse.

The fact that Chick-Fil-A doesn't openly discriminate against LGBT individuals doesn't actually mean anything to me. Sexual-orientation-based discrimination is illegal in 21 states. It's also illegal in Atlanta, where Chick-Fil-A's headquarters are. So... You know, the fact that they don't discriminate against LGBT communities means nothing to me, since they can't legally do it. For all I know, they would discriminate against LGBT customers and employees if they legally could.

Also, the CEO didn't say "I personally believe in traditional marriage" as a personal opinion. As a representative of Chick-Fil-A, he said that the company supports "the Biblical definition of the family unit." Meaning that, as an organization, Chick-Fil-A is opposed to same-sex marriage. Meaning that the company that is Chick-Fil-A, as a collective, opposes LGBT rights, even if some individual employees might not.

Meaning that, you know, one ostensible objective for a hypothetical boycott might be to just drive the entire company into the ground.

And it's abundantly clear that the Chick-Fil-A CEO does not begin to understand the Biblical definition of marriage - polygamy, forced marriages, no need for consent on the part of the woman - all good Christian definitions of marriage.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:17 am

See plenty of corporations going behind gay marriage. Don't mind other corporations picking the other side. They can do what they want, market-wise, it's a bad idea, but that goes for all who enter said arena with commercial products.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General