NATION

PASSWORD

How Aurora could have been prevented

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should people be required to carry guns

Yes
10%
No
57%
People should be forced to own guns but not carry them
8%
Have an opt out program
8%
Ban all guns
17%

Total votes : 204

Vault 1
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Norstal wrote:You only know the perp was wearing a costume after that happens, not before. Unless you have a time machine.

So it's bad. It's not the best self-defense situation.
Being armed and not having a target still beats being defenseless.

Norstal wrote:And if you got someone else?

I don't get someone else.
On the small chance that I do, I go to court and present my defense. You had other ideas in mind?

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Vault 1 wrote:I don't get someone else.
On the small chance that I do, I go to court and present my defense. You had other ideas in mind?

The problem is you just shot an innocent man in self-defense. If that situation can transpire something is fucked up.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Vault 1 wrote:
Norstal wrote:You only know the perp was wearing a costume after that happens, not before. Unless you have a time machine.

So it's bad. It's not the best self-defense situation.
Being armed and not having a target still beats being defenseless.

Unless you got someone else.

I don't get someone else.

Right, Lt. ITG.

My idea is to maintain the status-quo of not giving everyone a gun.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Vault 1
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Des-Bal wrote:The problem is you just shot an innocent man in self-defense. If that situation can transpire something is fucked up.

Something is fucked up the moment a guy starts shooting innocent people in a theater.

There's no unfucking it up. There's only stopping the fuckup. For that, you can either rely on the guy getting bored of killing people, running out of ammo, or leave an option for someone to get him. And yes, he will stand out.

Vault 1
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:19 pm

Norstal wrote:Unless you got someone else.

Superman? CreationLord? Magic Invisible Dragon?

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:19 pm

Vault 1 wrote:Something is fucked up the moment a guy starts shooting innocent people in a theater.

There's no unfucking it up. There's only stopping the fuckup. For that, you can either rely on the guy getting bored of killing people, running out of ammo, or leave an option for someone to get him. And yes, he will stand out.

The point is innocent people killing each other in self-defense isn't fixing the situation.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Vault 1 wrote:
Norstal wrote:Unless you got someone else.

Superman? CreationLord? Magic Invisible Dragon?

The fuck are you talking about? You might be shooting someone else who looks like the perp.

Vault 1
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Des-Bal wrote:The point is innocent people killing each other in self-defense isn't fixing the situation.

Of course it isn't. Killing the perp (with a small chance of collateral damage) rather than waiting for him to get bored and go to sleep is. And the small risk of friendly fire far outweighs the certainty of further killings.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Vault 1 wrote:Of course it isn't. Killing the perp (with a small chance of collateral damage) rather than waiting for him to get bored and go to sleep is. And the small risk of friendly fire far outweighs the certainty of further killings.

Seriously I want to see you shoot into a crowd of frantic people while blind and vomitting, you could do it for those shooting exhibitions.

Vault 1
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Norstal wrote:The fuck are you talking about? You might be shooting someone else who looks like the perp.

I said "Being armed and not having a target still beats being defenseless."
This is a situation where you had a gun and couldn't use it.

For the situation of blue on blue, see the post above. It's possible, but unlikely, and stopping a killing spree is worth the risk.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Vault 1 wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:The point is innocent people killing each other in self-defense isn't fixing the situation.

Of course it isn't. Killing the perp (with a small chance of collateral damage) rather than waiting for him to get bored and go to sleep is. And the small risk of friendly fire far outweighs the certainty of further killings.

Here's a fun, if old, fact.
The Pentagon disclosed yesterday that 35 of the 148 American servicemen and women who perished on the battlefield in the Persian Gulf War were killed inadvertently by their comrades, an extraordinary proportion by historical standards and more than three times the number previously acknowledged.

Little over one in four times, trained men and woman shot the wrong guy. In a situation where they were going in knowing that they were gonna be shot at. Where the people there were all for the most part involved. Where people wore clothes to let you know what side they were on.

Trained.

Everyone has a gun.

Maybe the problem was that they were simply Army Strong and not Internet Tough.
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Vault 1
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Des-Bal wrote:Seriously I want to see you shoot into a crowd of frantic people while blind and vomitting, you could do it for those shooting exhibitions.

If the perp was 5 feet away from me, I would shoot him and hit just fine, even compromised.

What's the chance of one given person of being 5 feet away from him? Small.
If the theater was filled with armed personnel, what's the chance of someone being 5 feet away from him? Near certain.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Vault 1 wrote:Of course it isn't. Killing the perp (with a small chance of collateral damage) rather than waiting for him to get bored and go to sleep is. And the small risk of friendly fire far outweighs the certainty of further killings.

Here's a fun, if old, fact.
The Pentagon disclosed yesterday that 35 of the 148 American servicemen and women who perished on the battlefield in the Persian Gulf War were killed inadvertently by their comrades, an extraordinary proportion by historical standards and more than three times the number previously acknowledged.

Little over one in four times, trained men and woman shot the wrong guy. In a situation where they were going in knowing that they were gonna be shot at. Where the people there were all for the most part involved. Where people wore clothes to let you know what side they were on.

Trained.

Everyone has a gun.

Maybe the problem was that they were simply Army Strong and not Internet Tough.

That burn just caused Terrible, Terrible Damage. Quoted.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Vault 1 wrote:
Norstal wrote:The fuck are you talking about? You might be shooting someone else who looks like the perp.

For the situation of blue on blue, see the post above. It's possible, but unlikely, and stopping a killing spree is worth the risk.

No, being forced to carry weapons is not better than having the ability to choose for yourself whether you wish to carry them. The situation is also highly likely. Hell, people will probably shoot others even when there is no real danger just because they feel threatened and panic. People are not rational when they feel threatened. Giving them all firearms will not help the situation.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Vault 1
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:shot the wrong guy

Actually, virtually all friendly fire incidents involve heavy weapons - bombs, artillery, etc - not firearms.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:33 pm

Vault 1 wrote:

Why do you keep forgetting other people have guns?

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:33 pm

Vault 1 wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:Seriously I want to see you shoot into a crowd of frantic people while blind and vomitting, you could do it for those shooting exhibitions.

If the perp was 5 feet away from me, I would shoot him and hit just fine, even compromised.

If the theater was filled with armed personnel, what's the chance of someone being 5 feet away from him? Near certain.

Brilliant, someone believes this person is about to fire upon them, so they shoot them. Everyone else sees the one person shooting the other person, so they assume they are the killers, and then kill them. People panic and bullets fly everywhere as everyone tries to shoot who they think the real killer is.
She/they

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Vault 1
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:33 pm

Norstal wrote:Why do you keep forgetting other people have guns?

See post viewtopic.php?p=10281268#p10281268

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 pm

Vault 1 wrote:Actually, virtually all friendly fire incidents involve heavy weapons - bombs, artillery, etc - not firearms.

Virtually all combat didn't occur in a fucking movie theater full of poison gas

Vault 1
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Threlizdun wrote:Brilliant, someone believes this person is about to fire upon them, so they shoot them. Everyone else sees the one person shooting the other person, so they assume they are the killers, and then kill them. People panic and bullets fly everywhere as everyone tries to shoot who they think the real killer is.

This doesn't happen except in LiberalFantasyLand.

But explaining it to its residents - or, rather, people who believe themselves to be its residents - is rather futile.

Vault 1
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Des-Bal wrote:Virtually all combat didn't occur in a fucking movie theater full of poison gas

Like I said, that wasn't a good situation for civil defense.
Even then, having a gun (but no clear target) at worst merely won't help, but not hurt.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Vault 1 wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:Brilliant, someone believes this person is about to fire upon them, so they shoot them. Everyone else sees the one person shooting the other person, so they assume they are the killers, and then kill them. People panic and bullets fly everywhere as everyone tries to shoot who they think the real killer is.

This doesn't happen except in LiberalFantasyLand.

But explaining it to its residents - or, rather, people who believe themselves to be its residents - is rather futile.

If you here a gunshot and turn around to find someone lying dead with another individual with a smoking gun standing over them, who are you going to believe was commiting the shooting?
Last edited by Threlizdun on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/they

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Vault 1 wrote:Actually, virtually all friendly fire incidents involve heavy weapons - bombs, artillery, etc - not firearms.

Virtually all combat didn't occur in a fucking movie theater full of poison gas

I want a credible source for that poison gas that he used during his rampage.

Best of luck.
Last edited by Paddy O Fernature on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proud Co-Founder of The Axis Commonwealth - Would you like to know more?
SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:42 pm

Vault 1 wrote:If the perp was 5 feet away from me, I would shoot him and hit just fine, even compromised.

If you were 5 feet away from the perp I imagine someone could hit you from just fine too.

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Vault 1 wrote:I don't get someone else.

you do realize that even if the courts find you 'not guilty' of any crime, you are still open to a wrongful death lawsuite by the victim's family members.

I'm sure someone here has that link to the experiment they did with an armed citizen in a full classroom and they staged an attack on the classroom...

you don't miss... Lord be praised, we got us a Clint Barton here folks!
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General