NATION

PASSWORD

Best place to live?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neesika
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:51 am

Cabra West wrote:
Pretty much exactly a month ago now :)

Congrats!
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:52 am

The Atlantian islands wrote:Well, Ireland was working quite hard to foster that kind of capitalistic enviornment, you know.

Enjoy the fruits of a capitalistic pro-entrepreneur soceity while you vote left against those very priciples ;)

Well, Ireland is also working quite hard to achieve those social goals... one of the reasons they said no to the first Lisbon treay here ;)
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:53 am

Depends. Based on the safest country, I'm inclined to go with Canada (little history of political violence, not too much racial/ethnic/religious tension, lots of resources, fairly well-liked country, geographically unlikely to be in a war zone baring a full scale war between America and Russia/China). About the only things we're especially vulnerable to would be major Climate Change of the Ice Age kind, a nuclear war between aforementioned nations, or the Yellowstone volcano finally going off. :)

I prefer America's political system though, and I'm sure their are at least a few European countries with higher standards of living in various areas (probably Japan as well).
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Conservative Ad Droid
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Ad Droid » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:54 am

Personally I believe this compiled list is complete and utter crap.

But my utopias are Switzerland and the USA (although fading as my utopia, I'll always love this country)
Proud Member of the Evil NSG Right-Wing.

Quotes:
<10:49 Jenrak> And he was all 'Jenrak save me!'
<10:49 Jenrak> And I was like 'Are you under 13?'
<10:49 Jenrak: And he was like 'yesss'
<10:49 Jenrak> And I was like 'nope, sorry'
<10:49 Jenrak> And he was all like 'C'maaaaaaaaan' like a gangster
<10:49 Ozymos> Jenrak; Mercilessly crushing 12 year olds since 2010

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:54 am

Neesika wrote:
Cabra West wrote:
Pretty much exactly a month ago now :)

Congrats!

Thanks! :)
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

The Atlantian islands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 16, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantian islands » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:56 am

Neesika wrote:
The Atlantian islands wrote:Right but in comparison of the opportunity between nations, not between a nation and the continent of Europe, the USA comes away.

You can find much more opportunity in America, all speaking the same language with similar cultures, similar customs and no "international regulations" between states.

I don't see how you can realistically isolate a nation and ignore its position in a wider regional context, as you are attempting to do here. Cabra isn't discussing the continent of Europe, she's discussing how certain nations within the wider regional context (in particular in reference to border controls) seem to offer opportunities as good as what you're discussing as being available in the US. What 'more opportunity' is available to Cabra that would not be available to her where she is? Please be specific.

Well I don't know what she is in to, but here is a good, real life example.

A friend of mine is living in a European Country. He wants to study art and also something more practical, maybe business or journalism.

But the problem is that the university systems where he lives don't allow for real mixing like that, two concentrations. So he must limits his dreams. Then, if he chooses journalism, because he has not gone into the pre-created art track, he will never be able to be taken seriously with art. If he chooses art, he will never be able to make any money with that because the opportunity for artists simply is almost non-existent.

So he has always dreamed of moving to the US, where he can study both concentrations at the same time, and where he knows there will be much more opportunity as a journalist and as an artist, and where he is sure he will be able to make more money with his degrees and will have more flexibility with what to do with them.

Part of this is due to the fact that America is a huge country with an immense domestic market. Another part is due to the idea of flexible business and entrepreneurism, that is always creating and demolishing new sectors, companies, fields and technologies.

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:56 am

Conservative Ad Droid wrote:Personally I believe this compiled list is complete and utter crap.

But my utopias are Switzerland and the USA (although fading as my utopia, I'll always love this country)

Well it's really going to depend on what you value, no? If you value things like public healthcare and education, if you value democracy, if you value multiculturalism, etc etc...that's going to point you towards certain nations. If you value working to live over living to work, you'll choose based on what nation shares that value, and so on. If you value opportunity to amass wealth and material possessions over focusing on interpersonal connections and social collaboration, again your choices of nation will be different.
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:57 am

The Atlantian islands wrote:No. As being fundamental concepts of how a nation operates, the USA was the first to be created with these ideas at its base.

Considering those ideas were taken from the Dutch, acting is if they were original is a tad bit ... odd.
Perhaps pay more attention in history class ;) ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Gift-of-god
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gift-of-god » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:57 am

The Atlantian islands wrote:Starting from nothing. No connections. Not being in the "upper class". Not from a rich family. Being a nobody.

Then having your dreams of what you want to do in life, and launching it off with nothing but your aspirations and intelligence.

And having a real chance to make it.

Like I said, I personally have family members who have done just that. You may choose to not believe me, but I'm not just writing this for finger-excersize.

...says the white male full time student who travels all summer.

How do you pay for all that anyways? Does your unconnected, not rich, not upper class, nobody family help you?

Or do you do it all by yourself with just aspirations and intellgence?
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera
I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina.
I defend the little kids and I level downtown Tokyo
in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.

Conservative Ad Droid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Ad Droid » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:58 am

Neesika wrote:
Conservative Ad Droid wrote:Personally I believe this compiled list is complete and utter crap.

Well it's really going to depend on what you value, no? If you value things like public healthcare and education, if you value democracy, if you value multiculturalism, etc etc...that's going to point you towards certain nations. If you value working to live over living to work, you'll choose based on what nation shares that value, and so on. If you value opportunity to amass wealth and material possessions over focusing on interpersonal connections and social collaboration, again your choices of nation will be different.

Right. I wasn't arguing against that.

Quotes:

Gopferdammi
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gopferdammi » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:58 am

A bit surprised that Australia and France scored higher than Switzerland, but eh..would be interesting to see just how exactly that list was compilated.

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:00 am

Conservative Ad Droid wrote:

I realise that, I was expanding on your point:)

Conservative Ad Droid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Ad Droid » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:00 am

Neesika wrote:
Conservative Ad Droid wrote:

I realise that, I was expanding on your point:)

Oh... well then.... uh... continue :meh:

I'll just go away and be tired somewhere else now...

Quotes:

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:03 am

The Atlantian islands wrote:But the problem is that the university systems where he lives don't allow for real mixing like that, two concentrations. So he must limits his dreams. Then, if he chooses journalism, because he has not gone into the pre-created art track, he will never be able to be taken seriously with art. If he chooses art, he will never be able to make any money with that because the opportunity for artists simply is almost non-existent.

Errr, well I don't know where your friend is living, but this wont be true for most of western Europe.

The Atlantian islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantian islands » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:03 am

Gift-of-god wrote:
The Atlantian islands wrote:Starting from nothing. No connections. Not being in the "upper class". Not from a rich family. Being a nobody.

Then having your dreams of what you want to do in life, and launching it off with nothing but your aspirations and intelligence.

Like I said, I personally have family members who have done just that. You may choose to not believe me, but I'm not just writing this for finger-excersize.

...says the white male full time student who travels all summer.

How do you pay for all that anyways? Does your unconnected, not rich, not upper class, nobody family help you?

Or do you do it all by yourself with just aspirations and intellgence?

Oh, I can almost see the jealousy and dislike dripping off that post. :)

Well, at home, this helps. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_Futures

And please, get your facts straight. I don't only travel during the summer. I'm out of the country right now as well. ;)
Last edited by The Atlantian islands on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Samurkhan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Samurkhan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:06 am

Monte Mare wrote:Switzerland, Monaco, and Greece or Cyprus...

Cyprus is lovely, i'n it? Too many tourists though to enjoy living there though, or at least that's what it seemed when I took a holiday there ('cept I wasn't on a holiday but a dig site.)

The Atlantian islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantian islands » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:06 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
The Atlantian islands wrote:No. As being fundamental concepts of how a nation operates, the USA was the first to be created with these ideas at its base.

Considering those ideas were taken from the Dutch, acting is if they were original is a tad bit ... odd.

The fundamental concepts of the American state were taken from England, Holland and France, with minor parts also from Germany . . . from the enlightenment. The French, British and Dutch states, at that time, hadn't yet incorported those ideas completely into their national foundations when the American state was litrally birthed out of them (those concepts).

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:07 am

The Atlantian islands wrote:Oh, I can almost see the jealousy and dislike dripping off that post. :)

And please, get your facts straight. I don't only travel during the summer. I'm out of the country right now as well. ;)

That, indeed, is an opportunity you wouldn't see too many of over here. I spent most of my holidays working since I was 16, to fund a few travels, and my room and living expenses when at university later.

Lord Vetinari

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:08 am

Cabra West wrote:

Sounds pretty much like what me and my husband have done. Is that now the Irish dream, then?

No, no, see, what you're forgetting is that there is no such thing as change. The entire world works exactly the same now as it did in the 1890s. All of Europe is still in the grip of a repressive class system that keeps workers and peasants tied to dead-end existences in tiny villages, generation after generation. And the Irish? Oh, everyone knows they're just fucked, what with the English landlords and the potato famine and what all. The only nation in the world that offers anyone a chance to break those social chains is the US, where the bonds and rules of the "old country" don't apply.

And here in the US, everyone knows anyone can just roll out a pushcart on Delancy Street in NYC and lay the groundwork for the next major department store by selling sundries on the corner. Anyone, by dint of hard work, can send their kids to college -- a dream they were barred from in the "old world" -- and if things don't pan out in the great urban melting pots, hey, there's always cheap land out west.

Here in the US, there is no such thing as barriers to advancement enforced by money, rather than social class. There is no such thing as crippling debt. And it never happens and can never happen that our children do not prosper as well as their parents did.

Except of course that all those things are true and are happening right now.

The fact is that the "American dream" is diluted by the fact that other nations have liberalized themselves, and it is corrupted by the corporatism of American society.

The USA is a great place to live. But significantly better than any other affluent nation? No, not anymore. I'd say it's just about the same, more or less.
Last edited by Muravyets on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:09 am

The Alma Mater wrote:Considering those ideas were taken from the Dutch, acting is if they were original is a tad bit ... odd.

Not really, the ideas came from all over the place, largely in the UK around 500 years ago, but it wasn't till a bit before the industrial revolution they were pu somewhat in to practice. However, the economics of free market for the last century has been largely centralised in the US and then the ideas somewhat exported to other countries.

Gift-of-god
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gift-of-god » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:09 am

The Atlantian islands wrote:Oh, I can almost see the jealousy and dislike dripping off that post. :)

I see. Your scholarship that pays for your tuition in Florida universities is somehow letting you travel to Europe throughout the year.

This only supports my claim that your family is able to access more opportunities than most, and thus can not be indicative of the situation for most USians.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera
I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina.
I defend the little kids and I level downtown Tokyo
in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.

The Atlantian islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantian islands » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:12 am

Gift-of-god wrote:

I see. Your scholarship that pays for your tuition in Florida universities is somehow letting you travel to Europe throughout the year.

This only supports my claim that your family is able to access more opportunities than most, and thus can not be indicative of the situation for most USians.

Please do not refer to us as USians.
Or between working and having to pay almost anything for school, I have money to travel and I also know alot of people in Europe whom I stay with instead of hotels and hostels . . . ?

You're only supporting my claim that you have no idea what you are talking about.
Last edited by The Atlantian islands on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:14 am

Gift-of-god wrote:This only supports my claim that your family is able to access more opportunities than most, and thus can not be indicative of the situation for most USians.

But that's why I was saying earlier that you can't really say what the best place to live is on a national level, as it depends too much on socio-economic status first.

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:19 am

Hydesland wrote:But that's why I was saying earlier that you can't really say what the best place to live is on a national level, as it depends too much on socio-economic status first.

Something that TAI would deny is a factor that should be taken into consideration in the US, as all USians are essentially equal.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:20 am

Hydesland wrote:
But that's why I was saying earlier that you can't really say what the best place to live is on a national level, as it depends too much on socio-economic status first.

Good point.

A while back, I heard an interesting story about this. It was basically a mental excercise... imagine you're a soul about to be born. You will have no influence on if you're going to be male, female, black, white, no influence on what kind of family you will be born into, rich or poor, not even any influence on if you're going to be healthy or severely disabled.
The conclusion the author of this story came to that the best society is the society where you as a soul about to be born don't need to worry about what your life will be like.

Lord Vetinari

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General