NATION

PASSWORD

Best place to live?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:46 am

i cant honestly imagine why anyone moves from their country of origin other than the most extreme reasons.

there IS no best place to live. it seems crazy to me that anyone might look at a list and say "ill move to one of the top 5" or "yikes, my country is near the bottom id better emigrate"

this is not intended as criticism of anyone who has moved or plans to move. it just means i dont understand the impulse.
whatever

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:49 am

Ashmoria wrote:i cant honestly imagine why anyone moves from their country of origin other than the most extreme reasons.

there IS no best place to live. it seems crazy to me that anyone might look at a list and say "ill move to one of the top 5" or "yikes, my country is near the bottom id better emigrate"

this is not intended as criticism of anyone who has moved or plans to move. it just means i dont understand the impulse.

Curiosity, mostly. Followed in some cases by the realisation that the country you moved to suits you much better with regards to way of life/scenery/climate/attitude/standard of living/etc.

I knew that my country of origin suited me in none of those categories, so I moved on. And I found my new country to suit my own ways much better.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:54 am

Every time I see some jingoistic "USA RAWR!" remark, I feel like my country slides half a point down the index scale.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:56 am

Ashmoria wrote:i cant honestly imagine why anyone moves from their country of origin other than the most extreme reasons.

Well, I don't know about "extreme" reasons. I think getting a good paying job or otherwise just getting a chance to build the kind of lifestyle a person wants is a good reason to move. I think just wanting to move is a good enough reason -- like if you "find yourself" in India or something, that's a perfectly good reason to move to India.
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )

Neesika
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:24 am

I'm not going to say Canada is the best country to live, because though I've spent significant amounts of time in other countries here in the Americas, I haven't REALLY lived outside of Canada. However, I'm going to say that so far, Montreal (Quebec) is absolutely the best place I've lived in Canada, and I recommend it highly. I could go on at length, but let me summarize: microbreweries galore, best bagels in the world, liberal/artsy/politically active people, kid-friendly, people-friendly (as opposed to car-friendly), multicultural/multilinguistic and full of good looking people. On top of all the other benefits of living in Canada (public healthcare/education/etc).

I invite you to not believe me and check it out yourselves.
Last edited by Neesika on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

The Atlantian islands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 16, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantian islands » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:27 am

LOL ANARCHY NUBZ wrote:
The Atlantian islands wrote:USA . . . for the sheer amount of opportunity to make whatever life for yourself you wish.

Bullshit.

Not at all. Though if your flag is any indication of your real life political views, I wouldn't be suprisd if you don't beleive in America.

The Atlantian islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantian islands » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:28 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
The Atlantian islands wrote:USA . . . for the sheer amount of opportunity to make whatever life for yourself you wish.

Similar (or better) opportunities exist in almost every rich country. What makes the USA special in this regard, aside from it claiming it is ?

Absolutely not.. Name me one country that offers more opportunity than the USA.
Last edited by The Atlantian islands on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:28 am

Neesika wrote:I'm not going to say Canada is the best country to live, because though I've spent significant amounts of time in other countries here in the Americas, I haven't REALLY lived outside of Canada. However, I'm going to say that so far, Montreal (Quebec) is absolutely the best place I've lived in Canada, and I recommend it highly. I could go on at length, but let me summarize: microbreweries galore, best bagels in the world, liberal/artsy/politically active people, kid-friendly, people-friendly (as opposed to car-friendly), multicultural/multilinguistic and full of good looking people. On top of all the other benefits of living in Canada (public healthcare/education/etc).

Actually, having spent some time in Montreal a while ago, it would be very, VERY high indeed on my list if I felt like moving on again :)
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:28 am

The Atlantian islands wrote:
LOL ANARCHY NUBZ wrote:

Bullshit.

Not at all. Though if your flag is any indication of your real life political views, I wouldn't be suprisd if you don't beleive in America.

I don't believe in America, either. At least not in the America you're talking about. I live in America, and I know you are talking up a myth.

The Atlantian islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantian islands » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:29 am

Neesika wrote:I'm not going to say Canada is the best country to live, because though I've spent significant amounts of time in other countries here in the Americas, I haven't REALLY lived outside of Canada. However, I'm going to say that so far, Montreal (Quebec) is absolutely the best place I've lived in Canada, and I recommend it highly. I could go on at length, but let me summarize: microbreweries galore, best bagels in the world, liberal/artsy/politically active people, kid-friendly, people-friendly (as opposed to car-friendly), multicultural/multilinguistic and full of good looking people. On top of all the other benefits of living in Canada (public healthcare/education/etc).

I'd like to visit one of these days, as I've only been to, and know people from, Anglo-Canada . . . and it was / there are basically the same as America[ns] . . . which is not a bad thing.

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:29 am

Guess that depends on what kinds of opportunities you're talking about.
Last edited by Neesika on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:30 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

Similar (or better) opportunities exist in almost every rich country. What makes the USA special in this regard, aside from it claiming it is ?

I've got a feeling that the answer here will depend on how you count "opportunities".

See, Ireland offered me an opportunity to move here, start working in a new field, and build a living here.
The US wouldn't offer me this opportunity.

Lord Vetinari

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:31 am

The Atlantian islands wrote:I'd like to visit one of these days, as I've only been to, and know people from, Anglo-Canada . . . and it was / there are basically the same as America[ns] . . . which is not a bad thing.

Humans are basically the same everywhere, except for all the ways in which they are different from one another.
Last edited by Neesika on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Atlantian islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantian islands » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:32 am

Cabra West wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

I've got a feeling that the answer here will depend on how you count "opportunities".

See, Ireland offered me an opportunity to move here, start working in a new field, and build a living here.

1. Saying that the U.S.A offers the most opportunity in the world does not mean that opportunity does not exist elewhere as well.

2. How would "the US" not offer you that opportunity? Wouldn't it depend on the company . . . ?

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:32 am

Cabra West wrote:I've got a feeling that the answer here will depend on how you count "opportunities".

Ireland, like the USA, is pretty friendly to small businesses and enterprising.

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:33 am

The Atlantian islands wrote:1. Saying that the U.S.A offers the most opportunity in the world does not mean that opportunity does not exist elewhere as well.

2. How would "the US" not offer you that opportunity? Wouldn't it depend on the company . . . ?

In what sense are you talking about the US? To what extent to you attribute corporate power to the 'US' and to what extent do you believe they are separate from the 'US'?

The Atlantian islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantian islands » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:34 am

Muravyets wrote:I don't believe in America, either.

Your loss. Really. :)

I do beleive in America and the American dream . . . with good reason. Family members of mine have lived it and really made it from nothing. It is no myth, and it re-enforces my admiration for the American way that the way these people suceeded could not have happend elsewhere.
Last edited by The Atlantian islands on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Atlantian islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantian islands » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:35 am

Neesika wrote:
The Atlantian islands wrote:I'd like to visit one of these days, as I've only been to, and know people from, Anglo-Canada . . . and it was / there are basically the same as America[ns] . . . which is not a bad thing.

Humans are basically the same everywhere, except for all the ways in which they are different from one another.

You're missing the point. My point was that in my experience Anglo-Canadians and Americans were basically the same, and I know that Quebec is much, much more different..and that interests me.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:36 am

The Atlantian islands wrote:1. Saying that the U.S.A offers the most opportunity in the world does not mean that opportunity does not exist elewhere as well.

I thought your argument was that actually, it doesn't. Or maybe not in such quantity or quality, but you haven't yet told us how you would quantify or qualify an opportunity.

Not really... it would have been serious hassle for me to move to the US, the buerocracy would have been prohibitive.
Whereas Ireland, no buerocracy for me at all. I simply showed up and found a job within days, which by now has turned into a nice little career.

Lord Vetinari

The Atlantian islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantian islands » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:36 am

Neesika wrote:

In what sense are you talking about the US? To what extent to you attribute corporate power to the 'US' and to what extent do you believe they are separate from the 'US'?

Because my point was (well I don't know her job) that it would be up to a company to set her up with that job, not Ireland or America.

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:36 am

Muravyets wrote:I don't believe in America, either.

Your loss. Really. :)

I do beleive in America and the American dream . . . with good reason. Family members of mine have lived it and really made it from nothing. It is no myth, and it re-enforces my admiration for the American way that the way these people suceeded could not have happend elsewhere.

For those of us non-USians on the forum can you please tell me what you mean when you say you believe in 'America'? What is 'America'? What is the 'American dream'?

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:36 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

As I said: almost every rich country. The "American Dream" - start from scratch and become rich ? You can do that in the USA, Germany, UK, Netherlands, Australia, France, China etc. etc. Perhaps even easier, since high quality higher education is much cheaper in many of them. Becoming the president ?
Well sure, not all those countries have presidents - but similar functions like prime-minister and so on are certainly within reach of someone willing to work for it. And due to the multi-party systems of many of them perhaps even easier once again.
Finding happiness ? Practice yor religion ? Meeting new friends ? Researching new technology ? None of those things are restricted to the USA.

So... what opportunities does the USA offer that other countries don't ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:37 am

Cabra West wrote:Not really... it would have been serious hassle for me to move to the US, the buerocracy would have been prohibitive.
Whereas Ireland, no buerocracy for me at all. I simply showed up and found a job within days, which by now has turned into a nice little career.

The wonders of the EU, eh?

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:37 am

You're missing the point. My point was that in my experience Anglo-Canadians and Americans were basically the same, and I know that Quebec is much, much more different..and that interests me.

Ah. My experience is different than yours, but then again, Canada is full of allophones in addition to anglos and francophones, so I haven't limited myself simply to anglos, which may colour my perception.

Monte Mare
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Monte Mare » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:38 am

Switzerland, Monaco, and Greece or Cyprus...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General