NATION

PASSWORD

Best place to live?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Douchebaggerry
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Douchebaggerry » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:35 am

North Suran wrote:So it would have to be UMSian.

Oh in that case ignore me then.
Grave_n_idle wrote:Amusing. By your logic, anyone who owns property is corrupt (greetings, comrade), and anyone who has violence carried out in their name is violent, which also puts you in the same militant camp as utter bastards like Stalin, Jesus, and The Beatles.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:51 am

RightLeaningChristians wrote:Arkansas, USA.

Low Crime level
People still speak English

They call it English.

It's fairly White, and bright

Well, you're half right.

Good Gun Laws
Good Hunting Laws
Lots of Natural beauty

Alot more as well.

Uh-huh, mm-hm, check, check, check. Sadly, the fact that it is Arkansas cancels all that good stuff out.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Neesika
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:54 am

Why is Arkansas pronounced Ark-en-saw, but Kansas isn't Kan-saw?
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

RightLeaningChristians
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby RightLeaningChristians » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:59 am

Neesika wrote:Why is Arkansas pronounced Ark-en-saw, but Kansas isn't Kan-saw?

Some folks do infact pronounce it our-can-sus.

No idea though.
Emergency Alertness:
Jesus Christ!
God Damnit!
Fuck Me!

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:59 am

North Suran wrote:Including the Native Americans?

Yes, unless some divine creator dropped them here. Science says human beings originated in Africa.

And yet, if a Canadian or a Mexican claimed to be "American", the same people who decry the use of the phrase "USian" - which I loathe on an aesthetic base, and prefer the term "US citizen" - would similarly jump on those people for 'insulting' their entitlement to it.

Again, I try not to care too much which term people use. I can't speak for every nationalist jerk in the United States, of course, but I see nothing wrong with referring to a citizen of the United States of America as an American. I also see nothing wrong with a Canadian saying they are an American in the sense of being a resident of North America.

North Suran wrote:["The Romulan Republic"]Insisting on treating anyone in North America not of "First Nations" decent as an invader or outsider is not merely offensive, but socially damaging.

Please explain how any of this is derived from the use of the term "USian", a linguistic nitpick.[/quote]

I have no need to do so, because I do not derive it from the use of "USian." Rather, I derive it from your suggesting that only "indigenous" (which I took to mean First Nations) people have a claim to being called Americans.

I highly doubt that using the term "USian" is going to cause the USA to revert into a racially-determined hierarchial order.

Again, there are two separate (though related) conversations going on here: one about the use of the term "USian," and one about weather other groups besides First Nations should be referred to as "Americans." I can accept that it was a misunderstanding once. I hope I have clarified the matter. If this mistake reoccurs, however, I will be inclined to consider it a deliberate misrepresentation of my post.

Also, I would never argue that considering only First Nations people to have a claim to being called "Americans" will, in and of itself, turn America "into a racially-determined hierarchial order." Its merely an expression of an attitude that is, perhaps, a step in that direction, and offensive regardless.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:01 am

Neesika wrote:You espouse one particular theory of our (indigenous peoples') origin.

Yes. The one backed by science.

Other "theories" would presumably be "theories" in the same way Intelligent Design and Creationism are "theories."
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

New Roccoland
Attaché

Founded: Aug 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Roccoland » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:07 am

Smokey/Blue Ridge Mountains area in the Tri-state region of NC-TN-VA, U.S.A.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:07 am

Am I the only person left on the planet who doesn't give a flying fuck about "USian", one way or the other? It doesn't bother me in the least if people call me a USian. I call myself an American. I really don't care how anyone feels about either term. We all know which country both are referring to.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:08 am

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Neesika wrote:You espouse one particular theory of our (indigenous peoples') origin.

Yes. The one backed by science.

Other "theories" would presumably be "theories" in the same way Intelligent Design and Creationism are "theories."

There is a shocking paucity of information actually backing up the Bering Strait theory. A flaw you would be aware of if you've studied the issue. Even if you firmly support the Bering Strait theory, you need to recognise the problems, particularly with time frame and routes, both of which are still under great debate. I thought it was general practice to use the word 'science' in relation to facts, not hotly contested possibilities.
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:09 am

Muravyets wrote:Am I the only person left on the planet who doesn't give a flying fuck about "USian", one way or the other? It doesn't bother me in the least if people call me a USian. I call myself an American. I really don't care how anyone feels about either term. We all know which country both are referring to.

You're probably not a patriot then. *nods*

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:17 am

Neesika wrote:There is a shocking paucity of information actually backing up the Bering Strait theory.

Straw man?

I never brought up the Bering Strait. I only referred to human beings originating in Africa. How they got from their to North America is a separate (if somewhat related) subject, is it not?

A flaw you would be aware of if you've studied the issue.

Insulting my education, on a topic I never brought up because it was at best tangentially related to the point I was making?

Incidentally I am aware of alternative theories on the subject. I just didn't bring it up, probably because I wouldn't have thought it was that relevant to discussing the origin point of humanity.

Even if you firmly support the Bering Strait theory, you need to recognise the problems, particularly with time frame and routes, both of which are still under great debate. I thought it was general practice to use the word 'science' in relation to facts, not hotly contested possibilities.

Unless you can show me how this is relevant to anything I said, I'm not sure why I should discuss it further.

Kamsaki
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamsaki » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:30 am

In my totally unbiased opinion, I agree fully with the latest HDI tables, and thank the UN Development program for their tireless efforts.

As an aside, In your Face, Sweden! Haha!

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:43 am

Low Crime level
Good Gun Laws
Good Hunting Laws
Lots of Natural beauty

Alot more as well.

Sounds like a place I'd want to stay well away from, thanks.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Virtud Tierra
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Virtud Tierra » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:49 am

Cabra West wrote:

Low Crime level
Good Gun Laws
Good Hunting Laws
Lots of Natural beauty

Alot more as well.

Well, there is always

High crime level
People that don't speak English
Mostly blacks and hispanics
No gun rights
No legal hunting
Wasteland slums and neglected land as far as the eye can see.

You should move to Recife Brazil. You'd fit right in.

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:05 am

Virtud Tierra wrote:
Cabra West wrote:

Low Crime level
Good Gun Laws
Good Hunting Laws
Lots of Natural beauty

Alot more as well.

Well, there is always

High crime level
People that don't speak English
Mostly blacks and hispanics
No gun rights
No legal hunting
Wasteland slums and neglected land as far as the eye can see.

You should move to Recife Brazil. You'd fit right in.

Or there's here :

Low crime level
People speak English and other languages
Slowly getting a good mix of colours
No gun rights (even regular police don't carry firearms)
No legal hunting
Lovely nature and thriving cities, so you can take your pick.

I think I'll be staying right here, thank you very much.
Last edited by Cabra West on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:06 am

America will have to be automatically discounted, as you have to share it with three hundred million complete idiots, and temperatures often exceed twenty-eight degrees celsius in many parts of the country. I guess I'll have to go with Canada, the suicide rate's not as high as Norway's and the economy isn't as crap as Iceland's, although I've never actually lived there to verify it.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:10 am

Czardas wrote:America will have to be automatically discounted, as you have to share it with three hundred million complete idiots, and temperatures often exceed twenty-eight degrees celsius in many parts of the country. I guess I'll have to go with Canada, the suicide rate's not as high as Norway's and the economy isn't as crap as Iceland's, although I've never actually lived there to verify it.

But... Canadians!

They're sooo, amm, so sort of just not anything about anything, other than the Quebecois, who are just French and annoying.

I think most people just die of boredom in Canada, they lose the will to live. I certainly get that feeling at any Canadian gathering.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:12 am

North Suran wrote:And yet, if a Canadian or a Mexican claimed to be "American", the same people who decry the use of the phrase "USian" - which I loathe on an aesthetic base, and prefer the term "US citizen" - would similarly jump on those people for 'insulting' their entitlement to it.

I'm going to go with no here. I can think of plenty of people who just detest USian because it is awkward and ugly yet who are quite happy for Mexicans to claim that they are also American.

In fact, I've never actually heard of such a thing. I will grant that there probably is a very small minority of idiots who do react that way. But should we really be tailoring the language around them? I think not.
Last edited by Lacadaemon on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:16 am

Barringtonia wrote:
Czardas wrote:America will have to be automatically discounted, as you have to share it with three hundred million complete idiots, and temperatures often exceed twenty-eight degrees celsius in many parts of the country. I guess I'll have to go with Canada, the suicide rate's not as high as Norway's and the economy isn't as crap as Iceland's, although I've never actually lived there to verify it.

But... Canadians!

They're sooo, amm, so sort of just not anything about anything, other than the Quebecois, who are just French and annoying.

I think most people just die of boredom in Canada, they lose the will to live. I certainly get that feeling at any Canadian gathering.

Canadians are basically Americans, but more spread out, so you don't have to deal with them as much.

Hell, live in the Northwest Territory and you probably won't see any of them for weeks.

In the US and Europe there are always lots of people everywhere, and they're always trying to get involved in your business. In Siberia and Mongolia, you can have that solitude with eighty square miles on your property, but it's harder to drive into town once a month to buy groceries, and they don't speak English at the register.

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Virtud Tierra
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Virtud Tierra » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:16 am

Finland is up on that list and it is the per-capita suicide capital of the world.

Finnish people, from my experiences in Europe, are just fucking weird enough to make this fact completely solid and obvious from what I've seen with Finnish people. I dunno about Norway, but I've heard it is has the welfare-state-self destruction cycle coupled with the Scandinavian tendency for heavy alcohol consumption and long hikes through the woods in overcast skies and that sort of mental imagery.
Last edited by Virtud Tierra on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maharlika Islands
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Best place to live in?

Postby Maharlika Islands » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:18 am

I guess the best place to live in is where people are far from pollution and corruption.
I am Filipino.
Need an airport to land? VisitKarabawa International Airport

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:19 am

Virtud Tierra wrote:
Finland is up on that list and it is the per-capita suicide capital of the world.

Finnish people, from my experiences in Europe, are just fucking weird enough to make this fact completely solid and obvious from what I've seen with Finnish people. I dunno about Norway, but I've heard it is has the welfare-state-self destruction cycle coupled with the Scandinavian tendency for heavy alcohol consumption and long hikes through the woods in overcast skies and that sort of mental imagery.

Yah. But they killed more Russians that smallpox tho'. That has to stand in their favor.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Maharlika Islands
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maharlika Islands » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:22 am

Maharlika Islands wrote:I guess the best place to live in is where people are far from pollution and corruption.

There is hardly a place to find
LOW CRIME LEVELS
LOW POLLUTION LEVELS
NO CORRUPTION
Etc. Etc.

Life wouldn't be the same if we had NO PROBLEMS :P
I am Filipino.
Need an airport to land? VisitKarabawa International Airport

Callisdrun
Senator

Founded: Feb 20, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Callisdrun » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:23 am

Hydesland wrote:I don't really think that index denotes a good indication of best place to live, it's too generalised. The best place to live can depend heavily on your socio-economic status as well, so being poor in the USA is much worse than being poor in Sweden, but being rich in the US is far better than being rich in Sweden (speaking very generally here).

Also, it depends a lot on where in the country you live, especially with large countries like the USA. It's not a homogeneous nation in terms of living standards or price of living.

I can't honestly say that Nor-Cal is that great a place to be living right now. Unemployment is quite high, the state is bankrupt and the UC system seems like it's about to be dismantled, or made so inaccessible that it's irrelevant. It's in a drought, which might not be getting better any time soon and so water rationing will be ramped up. Such weather problems will become more and more frequent with climate change. Essentially, the way it looks right now, California is dying. It'll probably be long and slow, though.

That said, it's my home. I would never live anywhere else. I was born here, and while I love to travel and see other parts of the world, I intend on dying here, too. But I'm crazy.
Pro: feminism, socialism, environmentalism, LGBT+, sex workers' rights, bdsm, chocolate, communism

Anti: patriarchy, fascism, homophobia, prudes, cilantro, capitalism

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:24 am

Virtud Tierra wrote:

I think it's mainly that it's dark for six months of the year. SAD's a bitch.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General