NATION

PASSWORD

Muppets dump Chick-fil-a

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:00 pm

Raeyh wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:So what would you suggest?

Either make a real difference in the world for those you care about or stop pretending that you are a positive force in life by not buying some fast food because some guy stuck is foot in his mouth.

You think his comments were just him putting his foot in his mouth? And I do make as positive an impact on the world as I can, thank you very much. I consider boycotting Chik-Fil-A a small gesture I can make that adds to that.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Raeyh wrote:Yet you wouldn't do the opposite, would you? If the embodiment of goodness and humanity opened up a Burger Place that served the worst burgers known to man, you wouldn't buy them just to support the guy, would you?

Actually, to a certain degree, I would. I like racing, racing as an endevuor cannot exist without sponsorship, so presented with a largely benign choice of products I will tend to favor the product that sponsors racing.

Furthermore, many companies do in fact make a big deal out of their charitable donations and in fact encourage patronage as part of their charitable efforts (such as Yoplait and their Pink Lid campaign.

So no, this is neither as inconsistent as you would like to believe or even unheard of.
Raeyh wrote:Get realistic, most corporations are evil. Boycotting one for ethical reasons while turning a blind eye to all the crap the others pull is just being shortsighted.

Point out the evil and make the case and we'll discuss it.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Raeyh wrote:Either make a real difference in the world for those you care about or stop pretending that you are a positive force in life by not buying some fast food because a guy stuck his foot in his mouth.

What are you doing to make a difference in the world?
Raeyh wrote:
He makes veggie burgers. One of the reasons they taste so bad.

Well this makes no sense.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Raeyh wrote:
Either make a real difference in the world for those you care about or stop pretending that you are a positive force in life by not buying some fast food because some guy stuck is foot in his mouth.

You think his comments were just him putting his foot in his mouth? And I do make as positive an impact on the world as I can, thank you very much. I consider boycotting Chik-Fil-A a small gesture I can make that adds to that.

Yeah, can't speak for anybody else, but I have plenty of hours in my day to advance the cause of improved reproduceability in STEM research, participate in a local volunteer network, and help rid the world of dragons (they're real they are just made of pixels!), while still having ample time to whip up a post or two on the internet about how Chik-Fil-A is run by crummy homophobes.

A less kind and charitable soul than I might suggest that there is a measure of projection at work from those who insist that it's not possible to both post on this topic and also do anything worthwhile with one's life.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:05 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Raeyh wrote:

Not to mention the amount of time freed up not going to Chik-fil-a. I mean, on the grand effort scale, 'not going to a nasty ass fast food restaurant' barely even makes a blip. I have to travel half a block less to go to my next available option...

EDIT: Or what Bottle said, since it involved science and shit...stupid science ninjas, with their deadly throwing beakers and shit...
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:05 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:You think his comments were just him putting his foot in his mouth? And I do make as positive an impact on the world as I can, thank you very much. I consider boycotting Chik-Fil-A a small gesture I can make that adds to that.

Not to mention the amount of time freed up not going to Chik-fil-a. I mean, on the grand effort scale, 'not going to a nasty ass fast food restaurant' barely even makes a blip. I have to travel half a block less to go to my next available option...

Yes, there is that, though you'll have to replace the exercise missed with something else.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Raeyh
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Raeyh » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Bottle wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:You think his comments were just him putting his foot in his mouth? And I do make as positive an impact on the world as I can, thank you very much. I consider boycotting Chik-Fil-A a small gesture I can make that adds to that.

Yeah, can't speak for anybody else, but I have plenty of hours in my day to advance the cause of improved reproduceability in STEM research, participate in a local volunteer network, and help rid the world of dragons (they're real they are just made of pixels!), while still having ample time to whip up a post or two on the internet about how Chik-Fil-A is run by crummy homophobes.

A less kind and charitable soul than I might suggest that there is a measure of projection at work from those who insist that it's not possible to both post on this topic and also do anything worthwhile with one's life.

But you did nothing positive for homosexuals personally.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Not to mention the amount of time freed up not going to Chik-fil-a. I mean, on the grand effort scale, 'not going to a nasty ass fast food restaurant' barely even makes a blip. I have to travel half a block less to go to my next available option...

Yes, there is that, though you'll have to replace the exercise missed with something else.

Copious amounts of sex.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Right? People are acting like [avoiding Chik-fil-a] equals [going hungry] instead of [going down three doors to the Chipotle].
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Raeyh wrote:
Bottle wrote:Yeah, can't speak for anybody else, but I have plenty of hours in my day to advance the cause of improved reproduceability in STEM research, participate in a local volunteer network, and help rid the world of dragons (they're real they are just made of pixels!), while still having ample time to whip up a post or two on the internet about how Chik-Fil-A is run by crummy homophobes.

You know how in a Western when they're introducing characters at a bar scene and someone says something and then all of a sudden everyone backs away from that person and looks at the menacing looking gunfighter on the other side of the room...?
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Not to mention the amount of time freed up not going to Chik-fil-a. I mean, on the grand effort scale, 'not going to a nasty ass fast food restaurant' barely even makes a blip. I have to travel half a block less to go to my next available option...

Right? People are acting like [avoiding Chik-fil-a] equals [going hungry] instead of [going down three doors to the Chipotle].

Meh. I haven't eaten at Arby's since they did that block conservatives for being conservatives thing a while ago on Twitter.

Also, the sodium content in their food is Godawful high.

Raeyh
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Raeyh » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Raeyh wrote:

You know how in a Western when they're introducing characters at a bar scene and someone says something and then all of a sudden everyone backs away from that person and looks at the menacing looking gunfighter on the other side of the room...?

I fail to see how spaghetti western cliches have any relevance here.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Raeyh wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:You know how in a Western when they're introducing characters at a bar scene and someone says something and then all of a sudden everyone backs away from that person and looks at the menacing looking gunfighter on the other side of the room...?

Wait for it...

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Raeyh wrote:

Wait for it...

*backs away and looks for the exit*

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Raeyh wrote:
Bottle wrote:Yeah, can't speak for anybody else, but I have plenty of hours in my day to advance the cause of improved reproduceability in STEM research, participate in a local volunteer network, and help rid the world of dragons (they're real they are just made of pixels!), while still having ample time to whip up a post or two on the internet about how Chik-Fil-A is run by crummy homophobes.

Show of hands: how many queers in this thread are enjoying watching me make with the sillies at Raeyh?
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:23 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Raeyh wrote:
Yet you wouldn't do the opposite, would you? If the embodiment of goodness and humanity opened up a Burger Place that served the worst burgers known to man, you wouldn't buy them just to support the guy, would you?

Get realistic, most corporations are evil. Boycotting one for ethical reasons while turning a blind eye to all the crap the others pull is just being shortsighted.

So what would you suggest?

Well if it makes you feel better.

But it seems know Chick-fil-a donated to the causes it donated to for awhile now at least if you believe the Chicago Alderman.
Further I would say most of the chamber of commerce members likely donate far more to things that hurt LGBT rights then Chick-fil-a. Just seems the effort could be put to better use elsewhere.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Bottle wrote:
Raeyh wrote:

Show of hands: how many queers in this thread are enjoying watching me make with the sillies at Raeyh?

*makes more popcorn & for Bottle, pasties*

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:24 pm

greed and death wrote:Just seems the effort could be put to better use elsewhere.

What effort?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:25 pm

greed and death wrote:Just seems the effort could be put to better use elsewhere.

What effort?

The effort spent driving .5 a blocks farther down the KFC.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:25 pm

greed and death wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:So what would you suggest?

But it seems know Chick-fil-a donated to the causes it donated to for awhile now at least if you believe the Chicago Alderman.
Further I would say most of the chamber of commerce members likely donate far more to things that hurt LGBT rights then Chick-fil-a. Just seems the effort could be put to better use elsewhere.

It makes me feel better. Any effort that advances the Gay Agenda is worth ... wait, did I say that out loud?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:27 pm

greed and death wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:What effort?

The effort spent driving .5 a blocks farther down the KFC.

I'm a pretty lazy fucker and even I have a hard time considering not going somewhere 'effort'.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
greed and death wrote:

It makes me feel better. Any effort that advances the Gay Agenda is worth ... wait, did I say that out loud?

If seeking equal rights is an Agenda then I proudly support it.
I just feel the time effort and money spent getting the word out and boycotting/protesting Chick-fil-a could be spent to better uses such as getting out the vote. Strategically I think spending time and energy boycotting/protesting Chick-fil-a would improve Romney's chances to win.
Barack Obama

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:28 pm

greed and death wrote:The effort spent driving .5 a blocks farther down the KFC.

I'm a pretty lazy fucker and even I have a hard time considering not going somewhere 'effort'.

Well to hear the homophobes tell it, not going to gay weddings is just about the hardest thing in the universe to pull off, so maybe not-doing things is the new doing things.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:29 pm

greed and death wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It makes me feel better. Any effort that advances the Gay Agenda is worth ... wait, did I say that out loud?

If seeking equal rights is an Agenda then I proudly support it.
I just feel the time effort and money spent getting the word out and boycotting/protesting Chick-fil-a could be spent to better uses such as getting out the vote. Strategically I think spending time and energy boycotting/protesting Chick-fil-a would improve Romney's chances to win.

We can do both. Really. There are more than a couple of people down at Headquarters. ;)

Raeyh
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Raeyh » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Bottle wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I'm a pretty lazy fucker and even I have a hard time considering not going somewhere 'effort'.

Well to hear the homophobes tell it, not going to gay weddings is just about the hardest thing in the universe to pull off, so maybe not-doing things is the new doing things.

Like I said, it's slacktivism, or activism for slackers. For people who want to feel better about themselves while putting forth no additional effort.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General