NATION

PASSWORD

When/How much will the diversity of US Presidents increase?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which of these will we see LAST (or NEVER)?

Female US President
5%
Homosexual US President
17%
Asian-American US President
2%
Hispanic-American US President
1%
Middle-Eastern American US President
11%
Atheist US President
22%
Jewish US President
2%
Muslim US President
25%
Hindu US President
14%

Total votes : 83

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Furious Grandmothers wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:We will likely never see a Satanic president.

I'll see your Satanic president and raise you one from the WBC.

Thats like comparing apples to batshit insane morons. YOu are right though, the Satanist probably has a better chance.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Raumm
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Raumm » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Hispanic, African American, Female, and Asian American are all likely.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Raumm wrote:Hispanic, African American, Female, and Asian American are all likely.

I'm not American are there any Asian prominent politicians in America? Though being the land of opportunity, it's not necessarily a requirement, but still.
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:
Raumm wrote:Hispanic, African American, Female, and Asian American are all likely.

I'm not American are there any Asian prominent politicians in America? Though being the land of opportunity, it's not necessarily a requirement, but still.

The Senate Pro Tempore is Asian if that counts.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:54 pm

I rule out nothing.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Atrebates
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Atrebates » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Gordonisia wrote:The one that seems really far off is a homosexual President. Even though more and more people are becoming comfortable with homosexuality, I can't see an openly gay Commander-in-Chief for at least another 100 years.

Depending on your interpretation of him, we already had a gay president in James Buchanan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Buch ... ationships
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.03

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Atrebates wrote:
Gordonisia wrote:The one that seems really far off is a homosexual President. Even though more and more people are becoming comfortable with homosexuality, I can't see an openly gay Commander-in-Chief for at least another 100 years.

Depending on your interpretation of him, we already had a gay president in James Buchanan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Buch ... ationships

And it even seems to have been widely assumed by his contemporaries that he was gay.

I mean, he didn't make a big point out of it, but the closet door was pretty wide open on his relationship, so at the very least, we've had a president who was at the time perceived as homosexual. Even if he somehow was not.
Last edited by Tahar Joblis on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:53 pm

In response to the idea that an Atheist will NEVER be elected.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/2 ... 08044.html

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Anything may happen at any given time.

The House of Petain
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Petain » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:
The House of Petain wrote:Minorities account for nearly 20% of the pop. in Canada, what are you talking about? Can one of the members of the British royal family not marry another white person for once, or would those colored folks just not fit in? Not to mention that still doesn't answer the fucking question on how us electing a black guy is not a how great America is, that's somehow a big fucking step for us. Yet Europe -the land of tolerance and happy time- has failed to elect a minority PM, where the monarchies -though fucking hereditary, only seem to be interested in fucking with their own kind.

But you're right, that would get in the way with how fucking bad America is.

I was talking about Muslims, which er, I would have thought was obvious on account of how I said "Muslims." Even so, with only 20% non-white, it's hardly surprising that there hasn't been a non-white Canadian PM yet. That's solidly a minority, and a large number of them are recent migrants.

The British royals pretty much have to marry Anglo-Saxons to avoid rabble rousing from That Sort Of Person, although there's a tendency toward monoracial marriages in any case (racially mixed marriages making up some 11% of the total, if I remember correctly) probably due to cultural agreement between individuals of the same background.

Nor should it be ignored that Europe generally has far fewer non-whites than America, and again, many of them are recent migrants. (I also doubt that not a single European country has elected a minority candidate, although there's no easy way to check that.)

And finally electing a black man in America is a big deal because of the perceived prejudice towards black Americans from many in the country, which isn't the case for countries in Europe (although with the developing islamophobia in the region, who knows). Not that I said electing a black guy was a big step for America - just that it wasn't a big step for the world.

tl;dr: you are wrong

Hardly. Europe and its immigration policies are racist. Bring in "colored" folks because they specialize in medicine, in computers, in some form of science, and when that minority gets to big, elect right-wing parties and enact right-wing policies. Ban minarets, ban the veil, scream and yell, because Europe claims tolerance, it claims understanding and yes it has been ahead of the curve on gay rights, on female leaders and on abortion, but only if you are white. For the most Europe, lacks any racial diversity. The lack of blacks, the lack of Asians, the lack of Hispanics, who if there represent a minuscule fraction. And the moment that culture gains some recognition by the mainstream, Europe becomes reactionary.

My point is that people treat the US electing a black man as a big deal. And it is. And while I hope to see more diversity in the White House, I can't help feel annoyed that there is a lack of interest or concern or debate for a black PM in the UK, or a Muslim Chancellor in Germany, or an Asian prince in Spain. That somehow when the US elects a black guy, it's a "good job, about time you joined the 21st century," but when every PM in the UK's history is white, it's somehow not even an issue worth debating.
Michael Augustine I of the House of Petain

Founder, Chief Executive & Emperor of Westphalia
1000 Schloss Nordkirchen Ave, Munster Capitol District, Westphalia 59394

West Gaul
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby West Gaul » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:17 pm

Hopefully there will never be a Jewish president.
The last defenders of our glorious empire.

Politcal compass
Economic Left/Right: 1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.21
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk231/ElemixZero/pcgraphpngphp.png

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:21 pm

West Gaul wrote:Hopefully there will never be a Jewish president.

Dare I ask why? :eyebrow:

Patriot Liberal
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Patriot Liberal » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Um. Why?
Create Kaede's Adventure - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=304856

Read Kaede's Adventure So Far - http://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=287929

Siriant
Secretary

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Siriant » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:27 pm

Of course a Republican female President is entirely possible, case in point, Michelle Bachmann who tried to get the Republican Nomination, even though her campaign bomb-shelled, she was a female republican presidential candidate.

The House of Petain
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Petain » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Genivaria wrote:

Dare I ask why? :eyebrow:

Comintern, of course.

I dunno. Actually one Jewish guy I was hoping would run in 2016, prior to his resignation, was Eliot Spitzer. I like the guy.
Michael Augustine I of the House of Petain

Founder, Chief Executive & Emperor of Westphalia
1000 Schloss Nordkirchen Ave, Munster Capitol District, Westphalia 59394

Zevassa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zevassa » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:40 pm

My only concern with a Jewish president would be Israel-related backlash from different corners from the world. I don't think that anything would come from it, but don't pretend as though that isn't a hot topic or that we'd have to step even more carefully than we do already.

I think that a Hindu present will be last simply because Hinduism isn't quite as big as the rest in the population or media right now. I don't rule it out, but I see it being harder to get a winning candidate from a smaller pool of people.
Female Human Rogue 1 (0/1000 exp)
Chaotic Good

HP: 6/6
Abilities: STR 9 (-1); DEX 17 (+3); CON 10 (±0); INT 15 (+2); WIS 12 (+1); CHA 11 (±0)
AC: 15 = 10 + 1 (Padded Armor) + 1 (Buckler) + 3 (DEX)
Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Nimble Fingers

Full character sheet

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:10 pm

The Mongol Ilkhanate wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
This exemplifies the mindset that will prevent the election of a female president anytime soon, if at all. It's not a flat-out stated bias, it's a bias of omission - the omission of the female pronoun. It's not that women are actively and deliberately excluded, it's that they aren't thought of in the first place and it's not considered odd or unusual.

Or, ya know, I'm just using the universal "he" for a person of unknown gender, grammatically correct, unlike "they" or "them"

Way to read WAY too much into what I said.

Plural "they" is not grammatically incorrect, it goes back hundreds of years. Besides, if all linguistic change was seen as incorrect, Modern English wouldn't exist.

The Mongol Ilkhanate wrote:
TrepaNationStates wrote:
Because Dubya was a fucking genius, right?

Compared to Barack Obama, Dubya is Stephen Hawking.

Anyway, he was on the left, regardless of what his parenthetical letter says.

What do you think "left" means?
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General