NATION

PASSWORD

what careers in science would you choose to have?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alyekra
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:11 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Alyekra wrote:
I'm not saying that all scientists have to believe in God, but even atheistic scientists assume that certain things (The laws of logic, for instance) will be the same today as it was yesterday and will be tomorrow, and they can not account for that assumption without at least a god.

You might be surprised that scientists have been managing happily for decades, if not centuries, without any such need. Metaphysics has come a long way since Descartes. Logic, as we know it, descends from a bunch of principles that are either accepted as true (identity, A = A) or derived from such principles by reasoning. There's even a long proof that 1 + 1 = 2 by Gottlob Frege and Bertrand Russell, such is the state of our ability to reason without reference to the supernatural.

Everything else is -- at least in principle -- tentative. Today's rock-solid observation may be tomorrow's instrument error and misinterpretation. We know that some of our ideas are either wrong (General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics do not work and play well together) or incomplete (a lot of biology, especially at the molecular and ecological scales). We stumble forward regardless.

So how do you know your (or Gottlob Frege's and Bertrand Russell's) reasoning is valid?
(FOR LEGAL REASONS, THAT'S A JOKE)

65 dkp

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:12 pm

Kazhanistan wrote:I suck at math so chemist and physicist are out of the question, so probably an earth science like zoology or environmental science.

You're going to have problems if you can't handle maths, although biology should be the one with the least maths involved (though it still has a pretty significant amount).

Anyway, I never took biology beyond high school level, so I wouldn't know. Took physics and chemistry, though, and chemistry, though not as maths-y as physics, does involve a lot of advanced maths.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Alyekra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Keronians wrote:
Kazhanistan wrote:I suck at math so chemist and physicist are out of the question, so probably an earth science like zoology or environmental science.

You're going to have problems if you can't handle maths, although biology should be the one with the least maths involved (though it still has a pretty significant amount).

He didn't say biology, he said Zoology. I can't think of (Off the top of my head) how math would be required for Zoology, but I'm probably wrong about this. A Zoologist I am not.

65 dkp

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Quantum physics professor so I can start every class saying, look this is easy it is not rocket it is quantum physics, after proclaiming bow ties are cool.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Alyekra wrote:
Keronians wrote:

He didn't say biology, he said Zoology. I can't think of (Off the top of my head) how math would be required for Zoology, but I'm probably wrong about this. A Zoologist I am not.

Well to become a zoologist, quite a bit of biology has to be taken I believe...

Depending on where you go in zoology of course...
And so it was, that I had never changed.

Codzania
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Codzania » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Kinda Sensible people wrote:
Codzania wrote:A theologist is not a scientist. If anything, they generally directly conflict with scientific progress.

I agree with the first sentence, but the second is a bit short-sighted really. Which theologians are we speaking of? John Dee who helped bring Euclid to England? Pythagoras, perhaps? The Alexandrians? Do not mistake the contemporary for the absolute.

I was referring to modern theologians.
Last edited by Codzania on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Magnificent desolation."-Buzz Aldrin

Alyekra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Manahakatouki wrote:
Alyekra wrote:

Well to become a zoologist, quite a bit of biology has to be taken I believe...

Depending on where you go in zoology of course...

When I think Zoology I think Steve Irwin, so idk.

65 dkp

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Alyekra wrote:
Keronians wrote:

I'd assume he would have to take higher level biology in order to study zoology.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Alyekra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Keronians wrote:
Alyekra wrote:

I'd assume he would have to take higher level biology in order to study zoology.

I found it.

A bachelor degree in an natural sciences field such as zoology, ecology, general biology, animal science, or wildlife biology is the minimum requirement for a career in zoology or wildlife biology. However the job market is extremely competitive so higher degrees, like a masters or doctoral degree, may increase chances for career advancement.

In addition to formal education, informal job training through internships and volunteering is recommended. Informal training is a way of showing prospective employers your dedication as well as a valuable way of gaining real world experience. Local museums, aquariums, zoos, and nature preserves often offer volunteer opportunities.

65 dkp

Kinda Sensible people
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 01, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Kinda Sensible people » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Codzania wrote:I was referring to modern theologians.

Again, which ones? Karen Armstrong, perhaps, who has spoken endlessly of anti-modernist trends in fundamentalism? Christopher Lehrich, whose writing on the relationship between the occult and the scientific in the late middle ages and renaissance has attempted to demonstrate the theological reasons for science? It just ain't that simple.

Kazhanistan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kazhanistan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Keronians wrote:

Anyway, I never took biology beyond high school level, so I wouldn't know. Took physics and chemistry, though, and chemistry, though not as maths-y as physics, does involve a lot of advanced maths.

Well actually I have average math skills, which compared to everybody else in this thread probably sucks.

Manahakatouki
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Kazhanistan wrote:
Keronians wrote:

Well actually I have average math skills, which compared to everybody else in this thread probably sucks.

I'm with you here actually...

I'm more of a social sciences kind of guy, but with a background interest in biology...

I've been told to take something with anthropology, but I don't know what kind of job that could get you...

Inky Noodles
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Inky Noodles » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Transnapastain wrote:
Inky Noodles wrote:QUICK.

I WANNA ASK SOMEONE TO HOMECOMING.

whaddo I do?!

So I just met you
and this is crazy
but heres my number
homecoming maybe?

*not a valid offer.

~Trans, killing TET's since part 45.

San Leggera wrote:
Veceria wrote:People with big noses have big penises.
Even the females.

Especially the females. *nod*

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Belligerent Alcoholics wrote:Are you OK? :eyebrow:

It's a person called Inky Noodles in a thread that is not exactly known for its sanity in general. Do the math, beerguzzler.

18 year old Virginian

Ravens, O's, and Penguins fan

Bordurian
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bordurian » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Probably Biology.
Signed: Stefan III of Bordurian Grand Duke of Małapolska Duke of Bratislava Lord of Bohemia Baron of Zakopane, order of the Bear and of the Holy cross, His Holy Catholic Majesty Stefan III
Left -2.69
Authoritarian 3.45
[/floatleft]
Winners of the Free South Califas Roller Hockey Tournament
Participant in the 61st cup of Harmony,the 48th Baptisim of
Fire, the 19th Rugby Union world cup and World Cup 62
History, Geography, Reading, European
holidays, running, soccer, golf and Badminton

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Inky Noodles wrote:

It makes me sad that I'm in tenth grade and people are still mispronouncing ridiculously easy words when forced to read out loud.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Arkania 5
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkania 5 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Genetic Engineer.
MT <Compatible with FanT if needed>: The Shattered Enclave [INACTIVE]
FT: Aperture Industries
"The Shattered Enclave is technically a failed nation, but through all odds, they have survived as a million-headed hydra, all ready to simultaneously attack each other as their enemies. Wildly different factions, each with cultures that simply could not have developed within a hundred years, kept in a temporum of chaos...one wonders if more unexplained powers were involved in the creation of this monstrosity..."
WE ARE THE COLOR RED IN A WORLD FULL OF BLACK AND WHITE.....
tl;dr: Not a country or a nation. More like an entire world divided into a trillion pieces. Near impossible to invade. FanT/FT origins, MT/PMT technology.
Allanea wrote:evil shithole of a country

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Manahakatouki wrote:
Kazhanistan wrote:Well actually I have average math skills, which compared to everybody else in this thread probably sucks.

I'm more of a social sciences kind of guy, but with a background interest in biology...

I've been told to take something with anthropology, but I don't know what kind of job that could get you...

Social sciences? Me too.

Although I think my maths skills are above average. I just like maths. And I'm looking into economics, which involves a great deal of maths, so...
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Inzijard
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Inzijard » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Astronautic engineering. Space is beautiful.
Factbook
Ruridova wrote:"Capitalism rewards the intelligent and the industrious. Which is why Nikola Tesla died broke and Paris Hilton is swimming in cash."
- RCWP General Secretary Alexandre Thibault

condition, military: peace (5)
position, polity: +3
position, culture: -5
position, economy: -7

Alyekra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Inky Noodles wrote:

It makes me sad that I'm in tenth grade and people are still mispronouncing ridiculously easy words when forced to read out loud.

Yeah? Well you're lucky you can hear your peers read out loud, mine mumble like I'll get out.

65 dkp

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Bordurian wrote:Probably Biology.

That's a very, very broad field. Anything specific?
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Allemonde
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Allemonde » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Ecologist- I'm going to go to school for it at UGA here. I'm at GPC in Atlanta right now.
Last edited by Allemonde on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Alyekra wrote:
Keronians wrote:

I found it.

A bachelor degree in an natural sciences field such as zoology, ecology, general biology, animal science, or wildlife biology is the minimum requirement for a career in zoology or wildlife biology. However the job market is extremely competitive so higher degrees, like a masters or doctoral degree, may increase chances for career advancement.

In addition to formal education, informal job training through internships and volunteering is recommended. Informal training is a way of showing prospective employers your dedication as well as a valuable way of gaining real world experience. Local museums, aquariums, zoos, and nature preserves often offer volunteer opportunities.

I see.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Kazhanistan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kazhanistan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Manahakatouki wrote:
Kazhanistan wrote:Well actually I have average math skills, which compared to everybody else in this thread probably sucks.

Same here, I like studying foreign cultures and history so I'll probably try to go for an international relations degree or something along those lines.

The canardian republic
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The canardian republic » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:30 pm

theoretical wepon designer.
"Not our body and our muscles make us strong. It is our will to survive, to defend our family and the ability to love. Those are the things which make us even stronger than everything else. THIS is strength! No computer, intergalactic race or animal will defeat the zakesh race as long as we have this fires in our hearts burning!"
quote from Zer'kesh the defender.

Manahakatouki
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:31 pm

Keronians wrote:
Manahakatouki wrote:

Social sciences? Me too.

Although I think my maths skills are above average. I just like maths. And I'm looking into economics, which involves a great deal of maths, so...

There you go. That's the only social science that I couldn't keep a conversation with, as I'm economically challenged, no matter how much I try to educate myself...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General