NATION

PASSWORD

Let's quarrel over morals!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Helcasia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Helcasia » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:30 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Helcasia wrote:Why is witchcraft a bad thing?

it causes people to get sick and die. it causes extreme weather. it causes pregnant women to miscarry. maybe other things depending on your culture.
where its bad its bad. probably god told them so.

LIES!!! All of it, LIES!!!
Last edited by Helcasia on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Celebel
Attaché

Founded: Aug 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Celebel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:32 am

Alyekra wrote:
Celebel wrote:I don't understand you're question- it's a bit redundant. What I agree, if that's what you're saying, is that not doing anything would be more immoral than shooting the criminal, yes.

Alright, so here's my argument.

1. There are only two options.
2. Option A is more moral than option B.
3. Therefore Option A is a moral choice.
4. As there are no other options, option A is the moral choice.

So if the conscience "tells" you that neither options are a moral choice, the conscience can not be a trustworthy moral standard.

Firstly, your argument is valid- though your scenario, sniper rifle or not, has many loopholes.
But as for the latter part of your argument, I reject the statement that the conscience is not trustworthy, because as you yourself say, neither option is compltely moral- one is just better than the other. And technically the conscience is right: neither option is completely 'good', because in one you kill a person and in the other you allow people to be killed. So the conscience judges rightly by saying that neither is moral, yet it also tells you that choosing A is the lesser of two evils.
And let me add that after a little research- here I am correcting myself, btw- that it is lawful to kill someone if they are about to commit a hideous wrong.
Last edited by Celebel on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alyekra
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:34 am

Celebel wrote:
Alyekra wrote:
Alright, so here's my argument.

1. There are only two options.
2. Option A is more moral than option B.
3. Therefore Option A is a moral choice.
4. As there are no other options, option A is the moral choice.

So if the conscience "tells" you that neither options are a moral choice, the conscience can not be a trustworthy moral standard.

Firstly, your argument is valid- though your scenario, sniper rifle or not, has many loopholes.
But as for the latter part of your argument, I reject the statement that the conscience is not trustworthy, because as you yourself say, neither option is compltely moral- one is just better than the other. And technically the conscience is right: neither option is completely 'good', because in one you kill a person and in the other you allow people to be killed. So the conscience judges rightly by saying that neither is moral, yet it also tells you that choosing A is the lesser of two evils.

There's our problem, I hold that shooting the criminal was morally right due to lack of any other options.
Last edited by Alyekra on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
(FOR LEGAL REASONS, THAT'S A JOKE)

65 dkp

Celebel
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Celebel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:39 am

Alyekra wrote:
Celebel wrote:Firstly, your argument is valid- though your scenario, sniper rifle or not, has many loopholes.

There's our problem, I hold that shooting the criminal was morally right due to lack of any other options.

(I'm sorry for arguing so much) You're right. I admit and agree and all those other words that you should, in fact, shoot the criminal- even though killing a person is never a completely good thing.

NMaa942
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby NMaa942 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:39 am

Alyekra wrote:There's our problem, I hold that shooting the criminal was morally right due to lack of any other options.

There's no such thing.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:40 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Helcasia wrote:Why is witchcraft a bad thing?

it causes people to get sick and die. it causes extreme weather. it causes pregnant women to miscarry. maybe other things depending on your culture.
where its bad its bad. probably god told them so.

those fingers in my hair
That sly come hither stare
That strips my conscious bare
Its witchcraft !
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Celebel
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Celebel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:41 am

NMaa942 wrote:
Alyekra wrote:There's our problem, I hold that shooting the criminal was morally right due to lack of any other options.

There's no such thing.

What are you talking about? If you went back a page or so you would see that Inalready argued about a lot of other alternatives.

Alyekra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:43 am

NMaa942 wrote:

There's no such thing.

There's no such thing as any other options?

Celebel wrote:
Alyekra wrote:

(I'm sorry for arguing so much) You're right. I admit and agree and all those other words that you should, in fact, shoot the criminal- even though killing a person is never a completely good thing.

Oh, goodness no, don't apologize this is the Socratic method at it's best!

Though I think I may have do a bit of thinking now :P

65 dkp

NMaa942
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby NMaa942 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:43 am

Celebel wrote:What are you talking about? If you went back a page or so you would see that Inalready argued about a lot of other alternatives.

Morality is a bogey for primitive cultures.

Alyekra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:44 am

NMaa942 wrote:
Celebel wrote:What are you talking about? If you went back a page or so you would see that Inalready argued about a lot of other alternatives.

Morality is a bogey for primitive cultures.

So I can shoot you in the face and it would be fine?

65 dkp

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:45 am

Radiatia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Challenge accepted. Here's a totally secular definition:

Something can only be immoral if it infringes or deprives a person or group of people their reasonable rights without their informed consent.

Something can be moral if it grants or preserves the reasonable rights of a person or group of people.

Everything else is morally neutral.

Not bad ;)

Except: "Reasonable rights" - What rights? Rights are something that we made up.

So, as much as I hate to get into a semantic argument here... your definition is what I would call "ethics" rather than "morality".

Unfortunately this is one of those words based arguments but... "morality" implies that it has been imposed by a higher power/higher definition whereas "ethics" does not attempt to claim that it came from anything other than humans deciding for themselves what they define as "good" and coming to a consensus it with other humans.

Where did the implication of a higher power come from? What definition of morality is that?

Anyway, I, as an atheist, do have a morality.

mo·ral·i·ty
   [muh-ral-i-tee, maw-] Show IPA
noun, plural mo·ral·i·ties for 4–6.
conformity to the rules of right conduct; moral or virtuous conduct.
moral quality or character.
virtue in sexual matters; chastity.
a doctrine or system of morals.
moral instruction; a moral lesson, precept, discourse, or utterance.

(source: www.dictionary.com)

Definition 4, I have a system or doctrine. Is it arbitrary? Probably. But so is one imposed by a god.
The Blaatschapen should resign

NMaa942
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby NMaa942 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:45 am

Alyekra wrote:So I can shoot you in the face and it would be fine?

I would be displeased that you couldn't be bothered to shoot me somewhere more immediately fatal.

Celebel
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Celebel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:46 am

Alyekra wrote:
NMaa942 wrote:Morality is a bogey for primitive cultures.

So I can shoot you in the face and it would be fine?

I'd say that merits a Touchè. And if what you say is true, then you are part of a primitive culture. If there were no morality there would be no law, no justice, no sense of right and wrong of any kind and muderers would roam the streets.

NMaa942
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby NMaa942 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:47 am

Celebel wrote:I'd say that merits a Touchè. And if what you say is true, then you are part of a primitive culture. If there were no morality there would be no law, no justice, no sense of right and wrong of any kind and muderers would roam the streets.

You can have law without morality, ancient China did.

Alyekra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:48 am

NMaa942 wrote:
Alyekra wrote:So I can shoot you in the face and it would be fine?

I would be displeased that you couldn't be bothered to shoot me somewhere more immediately fatal.

Why? Is there something better about shooting a person in one place than another?

65 dkp

Celebel
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Celebel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:48 am

Alyekra wrote:
NMaa942 wrote:There's no such thing.

There's no such thing as any other options?

Celebel wrote:(I'm sorry for arguing so much) You're right. I admit and agree and all those other words that you should, in fact, shoot the criminal- even though killing a person is never a completely good thing.

Oh, goodness no, don't apologize this is the Socratic method at it's best!

Though I think I may have do a bit of thinking now :P

Thanks for the brilliant argument. It's the most thought-provoking fun I've had in ages.

NMaa942
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby NMaa942 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:49 am

Alyekra wrote:Why? Is there something better about shooting a person in one place than another?

I personally would prefer something more immediately fatal.

Alyekra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:49 am

NMaa942 wrote:
Celebel wrote:I'd say that merits a Touchè. And if what you say is true, then you are part of a primitive culture. If there were no morality there would be no law, no justice, no sense of right and wrong of any kind and muderers would roam the streets.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/chin ... hina_2.htm

And of course can have laws, but I hold that there's no justification for them without a transcendent being.

65 dkp

Celebel
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Celebel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:49 am

NMaa942 wrote:

Are you sure you're not confusing morality with religion?

Alyekra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:50 am

NMaa942 wrote:
Alyekra wrote:Why? Is there something better about shooting a person in one place than another?

I personally would prefer something more immediately fatal.

There's no morality, I could slowly torture you to death and it would be fine. Stop imposing your morals onto me.

65 dkp

Celebel
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Celebel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:50 am

Alyekra wrote:
NMaa942 wrote:You can have law without morality, ancient China did.

And of course can have laws, but I hold that there's no justification for them without a transcendent being.

I agree. If not, then why bother?

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:51 am

Alyekra wrote:
NMaa942 wrote:You can have law without morality, ancient China did.

:blink:

Why does it need justification from a transcendent being?
The Blaatschapen should resign

NMaa942
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby NMaa942 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:52 am

Celebel wrote:I agree. If not, then why bother?

So that you can go three days without having you house sacked.
Last edited by NMaa942 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Celebel
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Celebel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:54 am

NMaa942 wrote:
Celebel wrote:I agree. If not, then why bother?

So that you can go three days without having you house sacked.

Without morality laws would have not been created and humanity would not have progressed past the Tower of Babel- if that.

Natair
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Natair » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:55 am

Beecuz wifout ceiling cat ai can sez screw da ruelz, I has a gun.

Actually, I have no idea why some intangible presence would be needed for laws to exist. I vote was all convert to Norrisism and be done with it. Chuck will save you.
Proud AFKer since 2013
Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
I'm just going to say this now and get it out of the way: Mods, Admins, and Mentors are not out to get you. There is no conspiracy. They're not going to waste their time and energy on one insignificant human being who's feeling sorry for themself. The world ain't out to get you; you're just paranoid.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General