NATION

PASSWORD

Civil War in Syria, what do you think?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:17 pm

The Imperial Alliance of Free States wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:
Nah. The Syrian Army just didn't give a Fuck. Pop pop!

Go read the reports of the events from like February onwards. All sides, and compare. I'll outline it for you.
Arab Spring
Peaceful protests
Protests violently smashed
Protesters try again
No Joy
Protesters defend themselves from thugs attacking them.
Syrian army goes ape on protesters
Protesters go to ground
Syrian artillery and eventually air force decides surburbia makes great target practice.

And for God's sake, do some of your own research. If you are so right, find your own proof that tells you you are so right. And not government reports. UN is acceptable, but no one else. Find the journalists' accounts.

I'm poking fun at the previous guy. I gave a link of the heavy shelling of Grozny in Chechnya, just for comparison sake.

For what the Syrian military is doing now, well, there's some video that's just basically nonchalant blasting away at the rebels.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:19 pm

The Taryegeans wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:So if the UN imposes a no-fly zone, Russia will stop it?

That's nice to know. As long as you get Putin's support, you get protected even if the UN comes after you.

Russia will veto to it from ever happening, with their permanant chair on the security council and all.

This is why the Un is such a joke, just like the LoN was before.

Erm, UN isn't a joke as much as the LoN was. UN's objective is to prevent wars from escalating, not to prevent wars from starting, and they're doing a decent job. Since the existence of the UN, we've had no wars between major powers, except the Korean War, and that one came to a conclusion *knock on wood*
Last edited by Shofercia on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Shofercia wrote:Purpose: rebellions bleed. Think about - you're a smart guy. News sources need scandals.

No. You know exactly why the Russians aren't supporting the rebellion, and you're trying to punt on the issue by accusing western news of bias.

Russia has supported Assad (until now, at least) because United Russia saw it's poll numbers drop spectacularly after they didn't prevent intervention in Libya.
Shofercia wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Anyone who thinks that this will start WWIII has been reading way to much Tom Clancy.

And if Russia thinks they can stop unilateral western intervention through the UN then they're stupid. Very stupid.

They may be able to stop a no-fly zone, but they will not be able to stop the west from arming the rebels.

I still think the Angolan scenario's more likely, unless one of the sides scores a major victory.

Nah, the Angolan scenario requires both sides to be either relatively equal in strength. The rebels appear to have a massive advantage in both civilian support and in outside support. Assad may have even been wounded in the attack that killed the Defense Minister.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

The Taryegeans
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Taryegeans » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Shofercia wrote:
The Taryegeans wrote:
Russia will veto to it from ever happening, with their permanant chair on the security council and all.

This is why the Un is such a joke, just like the LoN was before.

Erm, UN isn't a joke as much as the LoN was. UN's objective is to prevent wars from escalating, not to prevent wars from starting, and they're doing a decent job. Since the existence of the UN, we've had no wars between major powers, except the Korean War, and that one came to a conclusion *knock on wood*

Conclusion? They've been at war for fifty years and every time one of them fucking sneezes the other is ready to go back to war. Yep, great conclusion there.

The UN does a better job than the LoN, this I will admit. But they're still a fucking joke.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:23 pm

The Taryegeans wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Conclusion? They've been at war for fifty years and every time one of them fucking sneezes the other is ready to go back to war. Yep, great conclusion there.

The UN does a better job than the LoN, this I will admit. But they're still a fucking joke.

The UN works perfectly when all sides agree to do the right thing. Unfortunately, sometimes internal politics prevents that.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:23 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:Some say this could start WW III.

Anyone who thinks that this will start WWIII has been reading way to much Tom Clancy.

And if Russia thinks they can stop unilateral western intervention through the UN then they're stupid. Very stupid.

They may be able to stop a no-fly zone, but they will not be able to stop the west from arming the rebels.

The big question is do you want to risk it. The Russian President cannot blink this time. If he does Russia will be seen has weak. For the US and NATO the problem is that since the 80's they have been winning wars left and right and most likely think it will continue. But Russias and Chinas military are not second or third rate like Argentina, Panama, Grenada, Iraq or Libya. NY CIty SWAT team could have taken Grenada.
Last edited by Rio Cana on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

The Taryegeans
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Taryegeans » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
The Taryegeans wrote:

The UN works perfectly when all sides agree to do the right thing. Unfortunately, sometimes internal politics prevents that.

The League worked perfectly when all sides agreed to do the right thing. What happens when they don't agree? Nothing get's done.

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:26 pm

The Taryegeans wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

The rate at which wars and other mass political violence occurs in the world has been at a remarkably low level since WWII, lower than at any other recorded period.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Shofercia wrote:Purpose: rebellions bleed. Think about - you're a smart guy. News sources need scandals.

No. You know exactly why the Russians aren't supporting the rebellion, and you're trying to punt on the issue by accusing western news of bias.

Russia has supported Assad (until now, at least) because United Russia saw it's poll numbers drop spectacularly after they didn't prevent intervention in Libya.

Oh, there were so many more reasons why UR's poll numbers dropped than just Libya. If you want, we can have a discussion about that - in another thread. But I can think of ten other things, that are more important, just off the top of my head: inadequate sports funding, (Prokhorov's jumping on this one,) too many chinovniks feeling too comfortable, (Putin purged half the party,) several bribe scandals, (some of them are enjoying quality jail time now,) admitting Gorbachev back in and giving him a medal, (Med lost 5% there, and Putin proceeded to satirize Gorbachev through Peskov, gaining approval,) the new "EG" education system, (and UR canned that very fast,) attempted Internet regulation, (Med said he'll can it,) billionaires not paying enough in tax, (Putin proposed and passed the luxury taxes, with the land exception to protect Muscovite pensioners,) lack of funding for youth programs, (KVN now has their own place, in Moscow,) etc, etc, etc. That was certainly an issue, but not the main one. Also, I was referring to news organizations, not governments.

Wamitoria wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
I still think the Angolan scenario's more likely, unless one of the sides scores a major victory.

Nah, the Angolan scenario requires both sides to be either relatively equal in strength. The rebels appear to have a massive advantage in both civilian support and in outside support. Assad may have even been wounded in the attack that killed the Defense Minister.

Re-read the bolded part ;)
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

The Taryegeans
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Taryegeans » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:
The Taryegeans wrote:

The rate at which wars and other mass political violence occurs in the world has been at a remarkably low level since WWII, lower than at any other recorded period.

That has more to do with other factors than the UN.

Think about it: if there were no nuclear weapons, would the US and the USSR gone to war? Hell yes. But they were afraid of eachother, and so countires allied with one or the other were protected, of sorts.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:30 pm

well i think its interesting what i've just heard on democracy now. that a suicide bomber has managed to wipe out some of the top leadership of the attrocities that have been and are continuing to be, perpetrated against the civilian population. this reaises a fascinating question in my own mind, a topic for a seperat thread certainly, but i wonder what would have happened if something like this had succeeded against hitler, and or some of his top advisors.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Just found out that their was a bombing on a bus full of citizens from Israel in Bulgaria. Israel blames it on Iran. This incident together with the Syrian bombing means everyone in the region from Iran to Jordan are on edge. So anything can happen.

SOFIA, Bulgaria (AP) - A bomb exploded on a bus carrying Israeli youth in a Bulgarian resort Wednesday, killing at least six people and wounding 32, officials said. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called it "an Iranian terror attack" and promised a tough response.
National Information
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:25 pm

Rio Cana wrote:Just found out that their was a bombing on a bus full of citizens from Israel in Bulgaria. Israel blames it on Iran. This incident together with the Syrian bombing means everyone in the region from Iran to Jordan are on edge. So anything can happen.

SOFIA, Bulgaria (AP) - A bomb exploded on a bus carrying Israeli youth in a Bulgarian resort Wednesday, killing at least six people and wounding 32, officials said. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called it "an Iranian terror attack" and promised a tough response.

I am unsure of the links given that an investigation is pending, but the situation in Syria alone will escalate and possibly spill over due to the influx of refugees into neighbouring countries. The attacks on neighbouring countries is a ruthless tactic by Assad in which he thinks that he can track every critic down and the rest of the world would not care. Well, we do, although there is a division over what action to take.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:[The attacks on neighbouring countries is a ruthless tactic by Assad in which he thinks that he can track every critic down and the rest of the world would not care. Well, we do, although there is a division over what action to take.

I do not think he has anything to gain from antagonizing his neighbors. I would think he would rather not draw attention to himself.
Last edited by Rio Cana on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Information

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Rio Cana wrote:The attacks on neighbouring countries is a ruthless tactic by Assad in which he thinks that he can track every critic down and the rest of the world would not care. Well, we do, although there is a division over what action to take.

I do not think he has anything to gain from antagonizing his neighbors. I would think he would rather not draw attention to himself.[/quote]

He'll have a hell of a time if his army keeps it up. Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan, and Turkey aren't too keen on letting shit spill over. (Idk about Israel since the border between those two countries is literally a mine field.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Meh.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:47 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:The attacks on neighbouring countries is a ruthless tactic by Assad in which he thinks that he can track every critic down and the rest of the world would not care. Well, we do, although there is a division over what action to take.

He'll have a hell of a time if his army keeps it up. Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan, and Turkey aren't too keen on letting shit spill over. (Idk about Israel since the border between those two countries is literally a mine field.

Considering that the attack was on Israeli Youth, and Israel isn't blaming Assad, I don't think it was Assad.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Shofercia wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:He'll have a hell of a time if his army keeps it up. Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan, and Turkey aren't too keen on letting shit spill over. (Idk about Israel since the border between those two countries is literally a mine field.

Considering that the attack was on Israeli Youth, and Israel isn't blaming Assad, I don't think it was Assad.

Wasn't referring to the Bulgaria attack. More like referring to the Lebanon shelling incident.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:58 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Wasn't referring to the Bulgaria attack. More like referring to the Lebanon shelling incident.

Fair, enough, thanks for clarifying :D

NWOIlluminati
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby NWOIlluminati » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:58 pm

Shofercia wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:He'll have a hell of a time if his army keeps it up. Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan, and Turkey aren't too keen on letting shit spill over. (Idk about Israel since the border between those two countries is literally a mine field.

Israel is laying the blame on Iran and not Syria. It is leading up to a Casus Belli for a Pre-emptive against Iran which will happen either Later in 2012 or sometime in 2013.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Fair, enough, thanks for clarifying :D

Now if the Syrian Army were to do something stupid in the Golan Heights, they would face Israeli fire. Maybe unite Syria and some of the rebel factions against Israel but now the Syrian Army will have to devote most of its manpower towards Israel while the rebels can pound away.

(though Israel should GTFO the area since it's not theirs...)

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:19 pm

NWOIlluminati wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Israel is laying the blame on Iran and not Syria. It is leading up to a Casus Belli for a Pre-emptive against Iran which will happen either Later in 2012 or sometime in 2013.

An absolutely crucial contribution to the thread about Syria /sarcasm

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:43 pm

The Taryegeans wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:The rate at which wars and other mass political violence occurs in the world has been at a remarkably low level since WWII, lower than at any other recorded period.

Think about it: if there were no nuclear weapons, would the US and the USSR gone to war? Hell yes. But they were afraid of eachother, and so countires allied with one or the other were protected, of sorts.

the UN stopped them from using the nukes on each other. for that at least its earned its keep.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

The Taryegeans
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Taryegeans » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:45 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:
The Taryegeans wrote:

the UN stopped them from using the nukes on each other. for that at least its earned its keep.

The UN didn't do shit. They stopped themselves from using nukes, becuase neither one wanted to kill billions of people.

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:46 pm

The Taryegeans wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:

The UN didn't do shit. They stopped themselves from using nukes, becuase neither one wanted to kill billions of people.

well this shows an ignorance of history and international relations that borders on the macabre.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General