NATION

PASSWORD

Civil War in Syria, what do you think?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Allrule
Senator

Founded: Apr 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:18 am

Twitter exploding with news of defections
Save the Internet! Protect Net Neutrality!

"Lily? After all this time?"
"Always."
-Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:19 am

"You're right, it isn't, and Mr. Assad should have thought about that before launching the brutal crackdowns on protesters last year. There was no violence until the government began it. Link to an overview in the NY Times."
Well, technically he didn't launch the crackdowns- the military did. In addition, the protests weren't as peaceful as the media likes to portray them.

"And you'll forgive me if I find your having had a conversation with one Syrian less convincing than reporting by people actually on the scene."
On the scene of where?
As I said, the majority of Syrians don't care or are unaligned. As many support the government as support the rebels. Syria is a secular state so it naturally has the support of most Christians and Alawites, possibly many Shia as well, though I haven't a clue how many Shiites there are.
If you honestly believe the rebellion is a majority movement, you must be deluded. Many areas aren't secured by troops because rebels aren't there...why don't the masses of rebel-supporters rise up? Oh yes, because all the rebels who exist are fighting. Most Syrians simply want an end to conflict, and a return to stability. As long as the rebellion is there there won't be stability.

We don't need another Sharia Jihad state in the Middle East.
"Conscious of my own weakness, I can only seek fervently the guidance of the Ruler of the Universe, and, relying on His all-powerful aid, do my best to restore Union and peace to a suffering people, and to establish and guard their liberties and rights." - George B. McClellan

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:20 am

Threlizdun wrote:
West Vandengaarde wrote:I don't know who you're talking about, but I originally supported the protesters (blindly, really).
I think you're just being biased to be honest. I simply looked into the real situation rather than using news reports. I looked at old and new interviews with Assad, talked to Syrians (someone who I know from there who now lives in the U.S. says he supports NEITHER side).
I also looked at EVERY news report, looked at every source I could find, and I've come to the conclusion that more trust should be placed in the government. Let them hold new elections. THAT should be where pressure comes in, not at toppling the stability there...the country is too divided, with too many minorities, to play a game of civil war in Syria. You will have massacres, maybe even genocide, of Alawites. Not just in Syria, by the way; in Lebanon the Sunnis are up in arms against Alawites periodically.
New elections are the key. Let Assad leave once elections are over. He has stated that he would concede defeat if he lost an election; let's see if that works. If it doesn't, other options are available. Aggression as a first strategy isn't proper in any way.

:palm: Assad is the person stopping them from having new elections. What do you think the protestors want?

No, he really isn't. Elections do run on schedules you know. And in addition, if he held elections right now the opposition would call it a farce and not participate, as they did with parliamentary elections earlier in the year.
2014 is the next presidential election. They can live with it for now.
"Conscious of my own weakness, I can only seek fervently the guidance of the Ruler of the Universe, and, relying on His all-powerful aid, do my best to restore Union and peace to a suffering people, and to establish and guard their liberties and rights." - George B. McClellan

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:20 am

Allrule wrote:Twitter exploding with news of defections

There are always defections, every day. But most of them do not defect to join the rebels. They defect to leave and hide somewhere, most likely out of fear of retribution after the end of the civil war.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:21 am

Sedikal wrote:Just let I happen, no need for NATO to get involved because it could make the war bigger. The united states should NOT get involved because do we really need one more reason for the middle east to hate use? The only countries I think have any right to involve themselves is Turkey, Israil, Lebanon, and Iraq

why iraq????? or even Lebanon????????
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:23 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Sedikal wrote:Just let I happen, no need for NATO to get involved because it could make the war bigger. The united states should NOT get involved because do we really need one more reason for the middle east to hate use? The only countries I think have any right to involve themselves is Turkey, Israil, Lebanon, and Iraq

why iraq????? or even Lebanon????????

They are neighbors of Syria with reason to fear the conflict spilling into their own borders, mainly due to the fact that they contain Sunni majorities who have a hatred of minority religions.
If this conflict spills into Lebanon there will once again be conflict between Christians and Muslims and it will not be good for anyone.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:24 am

West Vandengaarde wrote:
Threlizdun wrote: :palm: Assad is the person stopping them from having new elections. What do you think the protestors want?

No, he really isn't. Elections do run on schedules you know. And in addition, if he held elections right now the opposition would call it a farce and not participate, as they did with parliamentary elections earlier in the year.

no he really is the problem you cant have a stabile and "fair" government if the person oppresing you for your entire life is still in power. :palm:
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:27 am

Gig em Aggies wrote:
West Vandengaarde wrote:No, he really isn't. Elections do run on schedules you know. And in addition, if he held elections right now the opposition would call it a farce and not participate, as they did with parliamentary elections earlier in the year.

no he really is the problem you cant have a stabile and "fair" government if the person oppresing you for your entire life is still in power. :palm:

He wasn't oppressing anyone really, and stability is possible in any situation so long as violence isn't widespread. You have your terms mixed up.
In addition, free elections without a Ba'ath monopoly on political parties were legalized by government-held referendum I think in December. He wouldn't stay in power past 2014 if the people didn't want him to. That's the beauty of democracy.
I see no reason to topple a country which has stated its intention to be freer if left alone. Let it have its chance and if there are discrepancies, if there's controversy, if widespread fraud is seen, then pressure starts again. Let's not continue the killing, the discrimination, or the massacres.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:28 am

West Vandengaarde wrote:No, he really isn't. Elections do run on schedules you know. And in addition, if he held elections right now the opposition would call it a farce and not participate, as they did with parliamentary elections earlier in the year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index
Or if the Democracy Index indicated anything, the elections would mean absolutely nothing because political freedom does not exist in any form in Syria.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 am

Threlizdun wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index
Or if the Democracy Index indicated anything, the elections would mean absolutely nothing because political freedom does not exist in any form in Syria.

They didn't the last time it was checked...reforms were just passed in December. Reforms which enable more democracy.

Allrule
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:31 am

West Vandengaarde wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

They didn't the last time it was checked...reforms were just passed in December. Reforms which enable more democracy.

I love how naive you are to believe those "reforms" were anything other than lame attempts to appease the rebels.

"Always."
-Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:33 am

Allrule wrote:
West Vandengaarde wrote:They didn't the last time it was checked...reforms were just passed in December. Reforms which enable more democracy.

I love how naive you are to believe those "reforms" were anything other than lame attempts to appease the rebels.

I love how naive you are to believe the rebels have good intentions and are always right.
Why not give the government a chance...? I don't want more murder, more suicide bombings, more jihad, more massacres...just let them have one chance for elections, see how that goes, and if it fails build up pressure. We don't need more sectarianism in the middle east.

Solanum-Blaatone
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Solanum-Blaatone » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:34 am

Leaving everything alone sounds good.
We messed up Iraq and Afghanistan by sticking our noses in, and I wear a t-shirt like this: http://getfuzzyarchive.blogspot.com/200 ... chive.html
I have found the nation in need of the most cake. Click here to donate some!

I live in a vat of chocolate and taxes and I enjoy being a weak agnostic liberal cat person heavy metal fan pianist guitarist bassist singer finnophile Bostonian.

Wanna see the evil side of me?

Solanum-Blaatone
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Solanum-Blaatone » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:35 am

My uncle got partly detained in Syria for being a Jew. If there's any country I hold a grudge against, it's this one
I have found the nation in need of the most cake. Click here to donate some!

I live in a vat of chocolate and taxes and I enjoy being a weak agnostic liberal cat person heavy metal fan pianist guitarist bassist singer finnophile Bostonian.

Wanna see the evil side of me?

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:35 am

Solanum-Blaatone wrote:My uncle got partly detained in Syria for being a Jew. If there's any country I hold a grudge against, it's this one

I really doubt that happened.

Allrule
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:40 am

Yo Assad, just let 'em come within like 200 meters or so of your hideyhole, and then do this:

"Always."

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:41 am

Allrule wrote:Yo Assad, just let 'em come within like 200 meters or so of your hideyhole, and then do this:

Wishing death upon someone...
stay classy...

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:43 am

West Vandengaarde wrote:
Solanum-Blaatone wrote:My uncle got partly detained in Syria for being a Jew. If there's any country I hold a grudge against, it's this one

I really doubt that happened.

But we're supposed to believe your stories of how you tracked down every single source of information about the situation. Riiiight.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:43 am

Farnhamia wrote:
West Vandengaarde wrote:I really doubt that happened.

But we're supposed to believe your stories of how you tracked down every single source of information about the situation. Riiiight.

I find that easier to belief and less relevant to my overall argument than what he said.

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:44 am

West Vandengaarde wrote:
The Imperial Alliance of Free States wrote:The rest of the world ought to keep a very close eye on it. Why would the Americans bother fermenting a revolution like that? Has someone been listening to the government line again? If the Americans wanted Syria, they could quite easily just take it, no questions asked, if they're the all-powerful, unquestionable international boogeyman some folks seem to think they are.

As far as who ought to be supported, I'd choose the rebels. Assad has massacred his own people and crushed them under his thumb long enough. Before someone goes claiming all the supposed atrocities committed by the rebels and committed by Assad, I would like to point out, either way, there is only one side at the moment capable of artillery bombardment and their aim has been the Syrian equivalent of the local subdivision.

As far as intervention, this ought to be much more limited than Libya. For one thing, from a tactical perspective, an sort of military intervention will be much more difficult here than in Libya. Supplying the rebels, especially with items like food, fuel, and medical supplies, things the government has gone out of their way to deny them, I most certainly have no problem with. The only real case for even a limited military strike is the one emerging now. Assad is deploying his chemical weapons. I would like to think no one has any delusions about where either side would aim those WMDs. Let the Americans send in their vaunted stealth bombers to take them out. If Assad is the good guy his propaganda department claims he is, he wouldn't use them anyway.

You're kidding, right?
The government has the right to use whatever is available to fight off a rebellion, especially one where the rebels are discriminatory and terroristic in their methods.
Why are they worth supporting just because they're rebels, just because they don't have artillery? You're arguing something which has no reasoning behind it.
You are supporting murder, you are supporting discrimination, and that is wrong.

1776 much?
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:45 am

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:
West Vandengaarde wrote:You're kidding, right?
The government has the right to use whatever is available to fight off a rebellion, especially one where the rebels are discriminatory and terroristic in their methods.
Why are they worth supporting just because they're rebels, just because they don't have artillery? You're arguing something which has no reasoning behind it.
You are supporting murder, you are supporting discrimination, and that is wrong.

1776 much?

Had I been alive back then I wouldn't have supported the American revolution, which was started by piracy-supporting merchants to lower taxes on the aristocracy in the colonies.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:58 am

West Vandengaarde wrote:
The Imperial Alliance of Free States wrote:The rest of the world ought to keep a very close eye on it. Why would the Americans bother fermenting a revolution like that? Has someone been listening to the government line again? If the Americans wanted Syria, they could quite easily just take it, no questions asked, if they're the all-powerful, unquestionable international boogeyman some folks seem to think they are.

As far as who ought to be supported, I'd choose the rebels. Assad has massacred his own people and crushed them under his thumb long enough. Before someone goes claiming all the supposed atrocities committed by the rebels and committed by Assad, I would like to point out, either way, there is only one side at the moment capable of artillery bombardment and their aim has been the Syrian equivalent of the local subdivision.

As far as intervention, this ought to be much more limited than Libya. For one thing, from a tactical perspective, an sort of military intervention will be much more difficult here than in Libya. Supplying the rebels, especially with items like food, fuel, and medical supplies, things the government has gone out of their way to deny them, I most certainly have no problem with. The only real case for even a limited military strike is the one emerging now. Assad is deploying his chemical weapons. I would like to think no one has any delusions about where either side would aim those WMDs. Let the Americans send in their vaunted stealth bombers to take them out. If Assad is the good guy his propaganda department claims he is, he wouldn't use them anyway.

You're kidding, right?

Dropping 155s and cluster bombs on your own cities doesn't exactly scream 'precision counter-terrorism' to me, either.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:00 am

West Vandengaarde wrote:
Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:
1776 much?

Had I been alive back then I wouldn't have supported the American revolution, which was started by piracy-supporting merchants to lower taxes on the aristocracy in the colonies.

It was perfectly fair. The colonies were being taxed (ludicrously highly), and were not allowed to be represented in parliamentary discussions.
So they were having their money stolen for tax purposes, which wasn't even being spent in the same hemisphere, without any input themselves on where it was going. They had every right to revolt.

>coming from a Brit who misses the old Empire
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:02 am

Maybe this is the final death throes of the Syrian dictatorship...

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:03 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
West Vandengaarde wrote:Had I been alive back then I wouldn't have supported the American revolution, which was started by piracy-supporting merchants to lower taxes on the aristocracy in the colonies.

It was perfectly fair. The colonies were being taxed (ludicrously highly), and were not allowed to be represented in parliamentary discussions.
So they were having their money stolen for tax purposes, which wasn't even being spent in the same hemisphere, without any input themselves on where it was going. They had every right to revolt.

>coming from a Brit who misses the old Empire

What?
The taxes levied upon the lower classes were chosen by the colonial administrations, which were elected. The taxes for war were small taxes for the lower classes. The big money was paid by the merchants, many of whom were smuggling illegal goods.
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
West Vandengaarde wrote:You're kidding, right?

Dropping 155s and cluster bombs on your own cities doesn't exactly scream 'precision counter-terrorism' to me, either.

When did they do either of those things?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General