NATION

PASSWORD

Evolution

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe in evolution?

Yes
87%
No, because I am a creationist
6%
No, because I have other contrasting religious beliefs
2%
No, because I do not think there is enough evidence for it
2%
No, for a reason not mentioned here
3%

Total votes : 326

Farnhamia Redux
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Evolution

Postby Farnhamia Redux » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:04 pm

Chetssaland wrote:I know everybody is gonna get all mad and the atheists are gonna attack me but, I'll be laughing when you guys are in hell. Of course I dont just believe in creationism because im told its true in church. Although some things in the evolution theory sound plausable, theres still the missing link(I know they found the thing that they say is the link. Probably another hoax or just not the link.), and for some reason I just have a hard time believing that animals just turned into new ones until poof a human, without God interveining. Plus how did the single celled things get there in the first place? Theres probably a theory for that I suppose.

And the bing bang makes no sense AT ALL

:roll:

I agree about the Bing Bang, though. WHy a hot chick like Monica went for a guy like Chandler Bing is, frankly, beyond me.
Since when is reality a popularity contest? ~ VoijaRisa

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:07 pm

Galloism wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:I'll be laughing when you guys are in hell.

That's mighty Christian of ya.

Ya suppose I shoulda said I'll be so sad when you guys are in hell. Whatta shame they were such good people. :( . It seems like everyone whos not a christian believes were supposed to be perfect and that were all ammishs or something and they all look down on us and say how a christian shouldnt do that. Id worry about me self doing the write thing instead of pointing my finger at the christian who did the same thing you did
Last edited by Chetssaland on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:08 pm

And the weird al thing. Thats actually how I came up with that.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:09 pm

Chetssaland wrote:Of course I dont just believe in creationism because im told its true in church.

Then why do you ?
Sure - you give reasons why you do NOT believe in the theory of evolution through natural selection. Fine.
But why does that make you believe in Biblical Creationism ? It is not like it is the only alternative; the Hindus, ancient Egyptians etc. etc. all have other creation myths. Hell, even science has a few hypotheses that were thrown out centuries ago, but do exist.

Why pick Biblical creationism ? What makes it superior ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:10 pm

Chetssaland wrote:
Galloism wrote:

Ya suppose I shoulda said I'll be so sad when you guys are in hell. Whatta shame they were such good people. :( . It seems like everyone whos not a christian believes were supposed to be perfect and that were all ammished or something and they all look down on us and say how a christian shouldnt do that. Id worry about me self doing the write thing instead of pointing my finger at the christian who did the same thing you did

Well, you know, there was the "Love your neighbor", "Pray for your enemies", and "Turn the other cheek" and so forth. Might want to consider that in the future.

Also, you might want to consider the contents of Ecclesiastes 9:5, but that's only peripherally related.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Ophelias
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ophelias » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:10 pm

Chetssaland wrote:
Galloism wrote:

Ya suppose I shoulda said I'll be so sad when you guys are in hell. Whatta shame they were such good people. :( . It seems like everyone whos not a christian believes were supposed to be perfect and that were all ammished or something and they all look down on us and say how a christian shouldnt do that. Id worry about me self doing the write thing instead of pointing my finger at the christian who did the same thing you did

:palm:
Puritanical crap. Dear gods!

Oy! Learn to write. Please.
Ophelia you must remember! Veronica's America is not like--- is not like Charlotte's, one to savor cosmic flavor then Alison whispers, "Remember! Change waltzes in with her sister Pain, waiting for you to send her away. Wish her well, break the chain, break the chain!" I feel you, sweet Ophelia...

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:10 pm

Chetssaland wrote:I know everybody is gonna get all mad and the atheists are gonna attack me but, I'll be laughing when you guys are in hell.

It's not just atheists who accept that evolution is real.
Chetssaland wrote:Of course I dont just believe in creationism because im told its true in church.

Your first statement puts a lie to that I'd say.
Chetssaland wrote:Although some things in the evolution theory sound plausable,

Probably because its been proven that such changes happen...
Chetssaland wrote:theres still the missing link(I know they found the thing that they say is the link. Probably another hoax or just not the link.)

There's more than one, so what?
Chetssaland wrote:, and for some reason I just have a hard time believing that animals just turned into new ones until poof a human, without God interveining.

the ToE doesn't actually say it happened with a god intervening, it's just that you cannot scientifically test for a god's influence so that possibility is addressed.
Chetssaland wrote:Plus how did the single celled things get there in the first place?

Has nothing to do with evolution.
Chetssaland wrote:Theres probably a theory for that I suppose.

Yup, Abiogenesis
Chetssaland wrote:And the bing bang makes no sense AT ALL

Again, has jack shit to do with evolution.
Last edited by Dyakovo on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:12 pm

Chetssaland wrote:
Galloism wrote:

Ya suppose I should've said I'll be so sad when you guys are in Hell. What a shame they were such good people. :( . It seems like everyone who's not a Christian believes we're supposed to be perfect and that were all ammished(WTF is that?) or something and they all look down on us and say how a Christian shouldn't do that. I'd worry about me self doing the right thing instead of pointing my finger at the Christian who did the same thing you did.

Somewhere an English teacher is pulling their fucking hair out.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:13 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:I know everybody is gonna get all mad and the atheists are gonna attack me but, I'll be laughing when you guys are in hell.

Indeed. As mentioned, the official position of the Roman Catholic Church is that the theory of evolution is the best explanation we currently have. Last time I checked, more than half of all Christians are Roman Catholics.
Or to rephrase: the Roman Catholics outnumber all other denominations combined. So a majority of Christians officially accepts the theory of evolution.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Founded: Mar 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tofu Islands » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:14 pm

What is all the "laughing when you see me in hell". I'm a Christian, personally. This doesn't of course mean that Christians are right (could be that Hindus are correct), it's just my personal religious belief.

Also, saying "see you in hell" to people you disagree with isn't a good way to debate -- threats of divine retribution have no place in a discussion of facts.

Chetssaland wrote:Of course I dont just believe in creationism because im told its true in church. Although some things in the evolution theory sound plausable, theres still the missing link(I know they found the thing that they say is the link. Probably another hoax or just not the link.)

There are a lot of missing links because not all animals happened to become fossils. This doesn't make the ToE false. Also note that evolution has been directly observed in controlled conditions.

Chetssaland wrote:and for some reason I just have a hard time believing that animals just turned into new ones until poof a human, without God interveining.

You can believe that God intervened (this is called "theistic evolution"), it's just there isn't any need for it. Also, things aren't "poof" becoming new species -- they gradually change over the course of generations until they are distinct from their ancestors.

Chetssaland wrote:Plus how did the single celled things get there in the first place? Theres probably a theory for that I suppose.

Yep, the theory is called abiogenesis.

Chetssaland wrote:And the bing bang makes no sense AT ALL

Nor does the idea that God suddenly decided to create the universe. The big bang stems from observations that the universe is expanding, so presumably there was a time when it was all confined to a point of zero size. Also, big bang =/= evolution -- the two have nothing to do with each other.

Chetssaland wrote:Ya suppose I shoulda said I'll be so sad when you guys are in hell. Whatta shame they were such good people. :( . It seems like everyone whos not a christian believes were supposed to be perfect and that were all ammishs or something and they all look down on us and say how a christian shouldnt do that. Id worry about me self doing the write thing instead of pointing my finger at the christian who did the same thing you did

Christians are supposed to follow the example of Christ (that is, being nice and so on). It's perfectly reasonable to hold people follow a good person to a higher standard then those who don't. Also, don't justify your actions by pointing fingers and saying "those people are worse" -- justify actions on their own merits.

I personally don't believe in hell, but hey, we all are different.
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:15 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:

Indeed. As mentioned, the official position of the Roman Catholic Church is that the theory of evolution is the best explanation we currently have. Last time I checked, more than half of all Christians are Roman Catholics.
Or to rephrase: the Roman Catholics outnumber all other denominations combined. So a majority of Christians officially accepts the theory of evolution.

Orthodox Christians also accept Evolution as correct. I think they're the second largest Christian sect.

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:19 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:Indeed. As mentioned, the official position of the Roman Catholic Church is that the theory of evolution is the best explanation we currently have. Last time I checked, more than half of all Christians are Roman Catholics.
Oh, hey, that's interesting. Wish I would have found that out sooner.
Last edited by Gauntleted Fist on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:20 pm

Khadgar wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:It's not just atheists who accept that evolution is real.

Orthodox Christians also accept Evolution as correct. I think they're the second largest Christian sect.

And most of the Protestant denominations do as well. To the best of my knowledge, it's really only the "fundamentalist" churches that deny it as a matter of doctrine.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:21 pm

To Alma Mater: I believ that God would have created the world because well, he can. Its kind of a faith thing. To be honest I havent read all of the bible and I dont fully understand all of it that I read. And we should be held to a higher standerd but whats the point of saying that we were wong to say it when you turn around and do something equally as bad.

And who cares about punctuation. u all no wat i mene. Yes I just did that to make him mad.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:21 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Indeed. As mentioned, the official position of the Roman Catholic Church is that the theory of evolution is the best explanation we currently have. Last time I checked, more than half of all Christians are Roman Catholics.

Yup, one of the good things Pope John Paul II did.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:22 pm

Khadgar wrote:Orthodox Christians also accept Evolution as correct. I think they're the second largest Christian sect.

So - even a LARGE majority of Christians officially favours the theory of evolution over Biblical creationism.

Now, does anyone want to give us a reason to believe in Biblical creationism anyway that does not involve reasoning of the type "evolution wrong, therefor creationism good" - but instead actually tells us the merits of the creationist idea by itself ?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:23 pm

Chetssaland wrote:And we should be held to a higher standerd but whats the point of saying that we were wong to say it when you turn around and do something equally as bad.

It's not us you have to impress, you know. Just want to make sure you're clear on that.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:24 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Gauntleted Fist wrote:

Yup, one of the good things Pope John Paul II did.
That man did a lot of good things. Supposedly.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:26 pm

Chetssaland wrote:To Alma Mater: I believe that God would have created the world because well, he can. Its kind of a faith thing. To be honest I haven't read all of the bible and I don't fully understand all of it that I read. And we should be held to a higher standard but whats the point of saying that we were wrong to say it when you turn around and do something equally as bad.

Gibberish much?
Chetssaland wrote:And who cares about punctuation. you all no what I mean. Yes I just did that to make him mad.

Not making even an attempt at proper grammar makes it less likely that you're arguments will be taken seriously.
Married to Koshka

The Ophelias
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ophelias » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:26 pm

Chetssaland wrote:And who cares about punctuation. u all no wat i mene. Yes I just did that to make him mad.

The poster you were trying to make mad is probably laughing his ass off on your total lack of grammatical correctness. Just a pointer. If you want that people actually consider your rants, because frankly that's all they are, learn to write. That includes punctuation.
Ophelia you must remember! Veronica's America is not like--- is not like Charlotte's, one to savor cosmic flavor then Alison whispers, "Remember! Change waltzes in with her sister Pain, waiting for you to send her away. Wish her well, break the chain, break the chain!" I feel you, sweet Ophelia...

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 03, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:27 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
So - even a LARGE majority of Christians officially favours the theory of evolution over Biblical creationism.

I don't think they favor evolution over Biblical creationism. I don't think that they are mutually exclusive, I would venture to say that neither do the Christians that accept evolution. The belief that God created the world is a central part of all Christianity.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:27 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Yup, one of the good things Pope John Paul II did.
That man did a lot of good things. Supposedly.

He did do a good bit to move the Catholic Church closer to the Twentieth century... :)
Married to Koshka

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:27 pm

I dont just believe that God created everything. I also believe that he could have made the creatures evolve.

And what do you mean its not us I have to impress. I know that but I dont get where you were going with that.

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:29 pm

Dyakovo wrote:He did do a good bit to move the Catholic Church closer to the Twentieth century... :)
Good enough for me.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:29 pm

Chetssaland wrote:And what do you mean its not us I have to impress. I know that but I dont get where you were going with that.

Well let's think of it this way. Let's suppose you were working tech support, and you got a belligerent caller. The caller screams at you, calls you abusive things, hell he's an asshole. Therefore, being the little minimum-wage earning cubicle dweller you are, you let all your pent up frustration out at him and screamed back.

Now, in the one sense, the guy making the call was being an asshole, and you could always say that he was worse than you.

However, you're still fired, because you failed to live up the company line - courtesy and friendliness.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General