NATION

PASSWORD

German Court rules circumcision as assault

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think of Circumcision?

1) Against both male circumcision AND against fgm
40%
2) Against male circumcision and Pro-fgm
1%
3) Against FGM and Pro-male circumcision
23%
4) Pro both
11%
5) Permitting each sacrament, but ONLY when the child is 18.
26%

Total votes : 415

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:10 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:One's right to practice a religion ends where permanently altering the structure of another's body begins. This court made the right call.

Well that's your opinion.

Why do outsiders get to define what is right?

Outsiders? There are no outsiders. We live in the same society here and live by the same rules.
If a person's religious practices cause harm to children then those practices should be stopped.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Genivaria wrote:If a person's religious practices cause harm to children then those practices should be stopped.

Seriously, stop accusing people in my family of deliberately harming children.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:By that logic, human sacrifice is A-OK.

ALL. OF. MY. HATE.

I don't care. Sexual assault is sexual assault, no matter the reason.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:12 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Why exactly should religious Jews have the privilege of mutilating a child's genitalia?
Thats like saying that Muslims have a 'right' to cut the heads off of their women who dishonor their family.

Then convert to Judaism and work to change it.

Why? Jews live in the same community as the rest of us, not apart from it.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:12 pm

The fuck. I thought the Germans realized this anti-Jewish bullshit was dead long ago.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:12 pm

greed and death wrote:Anti-semitism from germany who is suprised.

Actually the funny thing is that traditional circumcision following Jewish ceremonies only mutilates a part of the foreskin, whereas secular circumcision which is now popular in America and other places is a more full and complete mutilation and exists for no reason than to make the medical industry more money.

But I support the right for anyone to do whatever they want to their genitals and any other part of their body. When they're 18 and say "I choose this", not when they are helpless infants.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Genivaria wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Well that's your opinion.

Why do outsiders get to define what is right?

Outsiders? There are no outsiders. We live in the same society here and live by the same rules.
If a person's religious practices cause harm to children then those practices should be stopped.

It doesn't cause harm (not that much anyways). It also infringes on some people's cultures.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Genivaria wrote:If a person's religious practices cause harm to children then those practices should be stopped.

Seriously, stop accusing people in my family of deliberately harming children.

I never used the word 'deliberately'.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Seriously, stop accusing people in my family of deliberately harming children.

I never used the word 'deliberately'.

You implied it.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:12 pm

I agree with the ruling, just too bad it's in Germany rather than America.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Contentious ruling. I think that the legal decision was correct. It did not legislate away the right for someone to choose to be circumcised (for religious reasons or otherwise); it just removed the power for someone to choose for them.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Because it greatly discriminates against Jewish culture. The German courts can go fuck themselves as far as I am concerned.

Why exactly should religious Jews have the privilege of mutilating a child's genitalia?

Show that it's harmful first.

Thats like saying that Muslims have a 'right' to cut the heads off of their women who dishonor their family.

No, that's harmful. That's not beneficial. Circumcision is, to my knowledge, neutral.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Page wrote:

Actually the funny thing is that traditional circumcision following Jewish ceremonies only mutilates a part of the foreskin, whereas secular circumcision which is now popular in America and other places is a more full and complete mutilation and exists for no reason than to make the medical industry more money.

That's not true. There are certain phimosis conditions that may make a medical circumcision necessary.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Something being "a bit antisemitic" is like saying a woman is "a bit pregnant." Granted that the practice is barbaric, it is also fundamental to the religious pratices of millions of people. Legislating away religion, even from the judicial bench, does not strike me as a good idea. Education were better.

The court does state the following, however:

The regional court in Cologne, western Germany, ruled that the "fundamental right of the child to bodily integrity outweighed the fundamental rights of the parents", a judgement that is expected to set a legal precedent.
"The religious freedom of the parents and their right to educate their child would not be unacceptably compromised, if they were obliged to wait until the child could himself decide to be circumcised," the court added.

I find this to be reasonable, and it wouldn't go against education, nor legislating the practice away.

You may think it's reasonable, 'Koku-san, but I believe Jewish parents have a command from Yahweh himself to have the circumcision performed within eight days (Leviticus 12:3). The court should know that, and knowing that, their statement about waiting is an amazing bit of disingenuous dissembling. If they don't know that, they are collectively an ass.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Bafuria
Senator

Founded: Dec 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bafuria » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 pm

This is not a case of antisemitism, the German government is simply preventing genital mutilation.
Economic 3.1, Social -4.1

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Old habits die hard. >:

Genivaria wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Because it greatly discriminates against Jewish culture. The German courts can go fuck themselves as far as I am concerned.

Why exactly should religious Jews have the privilege of mutilating a child's genitalia?

Exactly how is circumcision "mutilating"?

I'm circumcised. I don't remember it, nor do I give a flying fuck about it.
Last edited by Galla- on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Fionnuala_Saoirse
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fionnuala_Saoirse » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 pm

I have to admit to being a bit ignorant on Jewish tradition but what's the particular religious reason for infant circumcision. Is there a particular rule that requires it then as opposed to later life?
Stupid Telegrams Received :

- "Isn't your name the name of the female Branch of the IRA" -- Benian Republic

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Norstal wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Outsiders? There are no outsiders. We live in the same society here and live by the same rules.

It doesn't cause harm (not that much anyways).[citation needed] It also infringes on some people's cultures.

Permanently lopping off a part of the body of someone who is given no say whatsoever is an infringement of that person's human rights, barring a legitimate medical shit-hitting-the-fan situation. If he wants it done later, when he can speak for himself, it's then his personal business.

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Man, I remember that other thread we had on Circumsion a while ago when everyone was throwing the phrase of the month 'bodily sovereignty' about.

Couldn't we just copy and paste the arguments from there.
Souseiseki wrote:as a posting career in the UK Poltics Thread becomes longer, the probability of literally becoming souseiseki approaches 1

Aquophia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aquophia » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Feel bad for the next generation of babies. I'm not even jewish, but they knew what they were doing for sure. Glad I was circumcised.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:16 pm

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:Contentious ruling. I think that the legal decision was correct. It did not legislate away the right for someone to choose to be circumcised (for religious reasons or otherwise); it just removed the power for someone to choose for them.

You do realize that Jews have to circumcise their children at a specific time otherwise they violate central religious tenants, right?

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Milks Empire wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:...
ALL. OF. MY. HATE.

I don't care. Sexual assault is sexual assault, no matter the reason.

Ok. We have human sacrifice and sexual assault. At least be consistent in outlandish imagery.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Fionnuala_Saoirse wrote:I have to admit to being a bit ignorant on Jewish tradition but what's the particular religious reason for infant circumcision. Is there a particular rule that requires it then as opposed to later life?

Yes.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:16 pm

So if I start the church of the Magical Tree on Neptune and I say that it is part of our religion to surgically remove the little toe on each of a child's foot at birth, can someone explain to me why I don't deserve the same legal protection as Jews and Muslims?
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Norstal wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Why exactly should religious Jews have the privilege of mutilating a child's genitalia?

Show that it's harmful first.

Its an infringement upon the child's rights.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General