NATION

PASSWORD

German Court rules circumcision as assault

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think of Circumcision?

1) Against both male circumcision AND against fgm
40%
2) Against male circumcision and Pro-fgm
1%
3) Against FGM and Pro-male circumcision
23%
4) Pro both
11%
5) Permitting each sacrament, but ONLY when the child is 18.
26%

Total votes : 415

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Genivaria wrote:The candy is not part of my body that just got cut off.

If there was a child that had six fingers on each hand and the parents wanted to remove them, would you be objecting to that? Scratch that.

If there was a large-ass benign tumor on the child that was causing no harm at all, would you object to it being removed? It's not causing any harm at all to the child and the parents want it removed. Would you let them?

If every single child born had the same benign tumor, and that benign tumor's existence was encoded into their genetics, then yes.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Norstal wrote:That's not harmful. You experience the loss of rights everyday when you were a kid, e.g you didn't get the candy you want.

The candy is not part of my body that just got cut off.

So it's not about children rights then. It's about the loss of body parts, a useless one at that. It's no different than shaving.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Forntag wrote:I love how my home decides something that disagrees with Jewish ideology and we are automatically anti-Semitic.

Don't issue a ruling essentially calling my people barbarians and nobody will call you antisemitic.

Don't act like barbarians and no one will essentially call you one.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Norstal wrote:And culture is part of that integrity of a human being. You have to remember the Jewish faith is not just a mere religion, it is a culture, the very foundation of their ethnicity.

Note that I said physical integrity (which doesn't intend to dismiss the culture part, but I still see it higher on the value scale).

I'm not very acquainted with Jewish culture, but I think I have an idea to reconcile:

Can the circumcision mark be, say, restored, with surgery, in the case someone circumcised decides they no longer want to bear that mark?

You can get a flap of skin that looks like a foreskin, but lacks the nerves and stuff.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:

If there was a child that had six fingers on each hand and the parents wanted to remove them, would you be objecting to that? Scratch that.

If there was a large-ass benign tumor on the child that was causing no harm at all, would you object to it being removed? It's not causing any harm at all to the child and the parents want it removed. Would you let them?

I've never heard of a benign tumor just being left in someone, although I'm not a doctor so idk.
I find it hard to believe that there is no harm whatsoever in leaving it there, ultimately I'd follow the doctor's wisdom.

Aeronos
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeronos » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Good, uncircumcised penises are better at sex =D </justsayin>

In seriousness though, good. The very fact that circumcision is still tolerated in the West pretty much confirmed what Steven Weinberg said all along: to make a good person do a digusting and wicked act takes religion.
My Political Compass
Economic: Left/Right (2.18)
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian (-9.71)

Note: I am female, so please get the pronoun right!

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Milks Empire wrote:
Norstal wrote:When it's harmful. What part of "circumcision is not harmful" did you not get?

You have not proven that it isn't harmful to my satisfaction. The proof I have seen that it is constitutes going way past PG13, so I cannot post it here.

TG it to me then.

Shard_Head
Diplomat

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shard_Head » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Glad to hear it. It's always struck me as odd that the medical and legal communities have turned a blind eye to the practice. Fortunate that it's not particularly popular in the UK and that the Royal College of Paediatricians is against it.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Norstal wrote:

So it's not about children rights then. It's about the loss of body parts, a useless one at that. It's no different than shaving.

It most certainly IS about their rights.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Norstal wrote:

But what if someone doesn't want to shave? Is it OK to force them to shave?

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Sucks for them, aim atheist but glad that im circumcised

besides you can't remember being circumcised lol
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:You may think it's reasonable, 'Koku-san, but I believe Jewish parents have a command from Yahweh himself to have the circumcision performed within eight days (Leviticus 12:3). The court should know that, and knowing that, their statement about waiting is an amazing bit of disingenuous dissembling. If they don't know that, they are collectively an ass.

The problem is that the physical integrity of a human being is, I believe, higher in the value scale than religion. So it leaves little margin to solve the problem. :(

Yes, it leaves exactly no room. Devout Jews have no room for maneuver on this issue, in terms of their relationship with God. Muslims seem to have some, as Wiki tells me that Muslim boys are traditionally circumcised between the ages of six and eleven, so there is some room, but I daresay that religious teachings make it next to impossible that a Muslim boy will refuse or, if he does refuse, that he will not be ostracised. Again, that German court knows perfectly well at whom this ruling strikes and I am surprised.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Narrow Path
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Narrow Path » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:30 pm

New Sparta 1309 wrote:This may be the best thing Ive heard all day. Yes, it can be argued its a bit anti semetic but this is the 21st century so perhaps we should begin moving away from barbaric self mutilation.

Well you can if you want to, just leave others alone.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:30 pm

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:
Norstal wrote:That's not harmful. You experience the loss of rights everyday when you were a kid, e.g you didn't get the candy you want.

The equivalent in this case would be a parent being able to permanently remove the child's ability to eat sweets.

Except sugar is vital to your body, so that's harmful.

Genivaria wrote:It most certainly IS about their rights.

Then how come you have no quips about the children's rights being violated when they can't get the candy they want, but when it's circumcision, you have a problem with it?
Last edited by Norstal on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Shard_Head wrote:Glad to hear it. It's always struck me as odd that the medical and legal communities have turned a blind eye to the practice. Fortunate that it's not particularly popular in the UK and that the Royal College of Paediatricians is against it.

This ^ :clap:
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Person012345 wrote:
Norstal wrote:So it's not about children rights then. It's about the loss of body parts, a useless one at that. It's no different than shaving.

But what if someone doesn't want to shave? Is it OK to force them to shave?

Perhaps a better analogy - is it OK to force someone to get an appendectomy without their consent and for no reason?

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:
The problem is that the physical integrity of a human being is, I believe, higher in the value scale than religion. So it leaves little margin to solve the problem. :(

Yes, it leaves exactly no room. Devout Jews have no room for maneuver on this issue, in terms of their relationship with God. Muslims seem to have some, as Wiki tells me that Muslim boys are traditionally circumcised between the ages of six and eleven, so there is some room, but I daresay that religious teachings make it next to impossible that a Muslim boy will refuse or, if he does refuse, that he will not be ostracised. Again, that German court knows perfectly well at whom this ruling strikes and I am surprised.

So would you support banning secular circumcision then? Like, if a Christian or atheist parent in the USA wants to circumcise their kid because of nothing but a lifetime of indoctrination to make genital mutilation sound normal?
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Britcan
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Britcan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Either they are helping to stop people abusing their children or they are just trying to get rid of the Jews in a more covert way...

This nation should not be taken to be representative of my real-life views, nor should any of the nonsense I posted on here as a teenager.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Norstal wrote:
The equivalent in this case would be a parent being able to permanently remove the child's ability to eat sweets.

Then how come you have no quips about the children's rights being violated when they can't get the candy they want, but when it's circumcision, you have a problem with it?

I find it very sad that you don't see the difference.
1 is simply not giving the child something and the other is causing direct bodily harm.
Its more like forcing a child to get a piercing or tattoo then 'not giving them candy'. :palm:

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Norstal wrote:So it's not about children rights then. It's about the loss of body parts, a useless one at that. It's no different than shaving.

It's not about the utility of what's being removed - it's about an irreversible change to an individual's body without their consent.
If I shave, it comes back. If I'm denied sweets, I can get them later. This is permanent, and that's the issue.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Norstal wrote:

Does a child have some sort of right to get the candy they want? I wasn't aware that was considered a fundamental human right by most people.

Narrow Path
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Narrow Path » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Jormengand wrote:
New Sparta 1309 wrote:This may be the best thing Ive heard all day. Yes, it can be argued its a bit anti semetic but this is the 21st century so perhaps we should begin moving away from barbaric self mutilation of minors.

Fixed that for you.

Again, I say good for you. Just leave others to their business. It's not for you or any artificial court to decide how they raise their children.

Narrow Path
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Jormengand wrote:
New Sparta 1309 wrote:This may be the best thing Ive heard all day. Yes, it can be argued its a bit anti semetic but this is the 21st century so perhaps we should begin moving away from barbaric self mutilation of minors.

Fixed that for you.

Again, I say good for you. Just leave others to their business. It's not for you or any artificial court to decide how they raise their children.

Narrow Path
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Jormengand wrote:

Fixed that for you.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Galla- wrote:You can get a flap of skin that looks like a foreskin, but lacks the nerves and stuff.

So in this case, I say make this surgery free. Granted, this would require a law, but I believe it would be a good way to solve the problem in the case an affected circumcised person feels their rights have been violated.

And since it seems that circumcision does not cause damage other than to the skin, the assault charges could be dismissed in this way.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General