NATION

PASSWORD

Syria shoots down Turkish combat aircraft

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:04 pm

Noobubersland wrote:
greed and death wrote:Obama announced liberating troops to be sent, boots on the ground should be tomorrow.

Seriously? :eyebrow:

Yes, along with the entire 3rd fleet.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Yanitza
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 18, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:04 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Yanitza wrote:
yeah, so lets go provoke them by violating thier airspace

Airspace violations happen all the time, all over the world.

Yeah but when a nation like Syria is undergoing serious civil unrest I think somone should have had second thoughts about the reaction this time

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:04 pm

Grand Britannia wrote:
Noobubersland wrote:Seriously? :eyebrow:

Yes, along with the entire 3rd fleet.

And the Grand Army of the Potomac.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Transhuman Proteus
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Transhuman Proteus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:05 pm

Yanitza wrote:It was over syrian waters, what do they expect?

Depending on the countries involved I would have thought a warning would be customary, with the shooting down only happening when the warning was clearly ignored.

Yanitza
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:05 pm

Zathganastan wrote:
Yanitza wrote:exactly, Turkey probably did this on purpose for an excuse for itself and NATO to invade

Why would turkey want to invade Syria I see no gain from that for anybody.While I understand that Syria has the right to shoot down foreign aircraft flying threw restricted airspace but really they should have given the pilot a warning to either land or retreat back into it's own air space before taking action.

More Influence around thier neighbours? some benfit from NATO i'm sure ther is something Turkey has to gain

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Yanitza wrote:yeah, so lets go provoke them by violating thier airspace

We don't know why the Turkish aircraft went into Syrian airspace. The pilots could have gotten lost or confused, or even undergone mechanical errors. We certainly don't know how long they were in Syrian airspace either, which could make all the difference. If the plane spent hours buzzing Syrian positions, then sure, it was probably justified, but it's far more likely that the pilots ran afoul of nervous ground forces.

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Grand Britannia wrote:Yes, along with the entire 3rd fleet.

And the Grand Army of the Potomac.

I think the Michigan Brigade would be better
Grand-Duc de Languedoc, Under Roi J&D I

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:07 pm

What the fuck does the Syrian Military think? They're having trouble stemming a tide of uprisings, so they go and piss all over a neighbor that could crush them within a month if they had to? :palm:
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Yanitza
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Avenio wrote:
Yanitza wrote:yeah, so lets go provoke them by violating thier airspace

We don't know why the Turkish aircraft went into Syrian airspace. The pilots could have gotten lost or confused, or even undergone mechanical errors. We certainly don't know how long they were in Syrian airspace either, which could make all the difference. If the plane spent hours buzzing Syrian positions, then sure, it was probably justified, but it's far more likely that the pilots ran afoul of nervous ground forces.

Bu the point is that it is not exactly a normal situation is it, considering that Syria is in a massive state of unrest and the regim is probably very paranoid of the Wordl right now becuase of the condemnation it has drawn and the actions int he Secruity council

Zathganastan
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zathganastan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Yanitza wrote:
Zathganastan wrote:
Why would turkey want to invade Syria I see no gain from that for anybody.While I understand that Syria has the right to shoot down foreign aircraft flying threw restricted airspace but really they should have given the pilot a warning to either land or retreat back into it's own air space before taking action.

More Influence around thier neighbours? some benfit from NATO i'm sure ther is something Turkey has to gain

Nothing that wouldn't be offset by dead turkish troops and a likely insurgency right after the Syrian regime falls right next to them.
Evelyn Beatrice Hall:I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
Shakespeare:All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;And one man in his time plays many parts
The Allied states Military, zathganastans pride and Joy:
Army: 35,000,000 armed forces
Navy: 18,000 ships
Air force: 10,000,000 air force personal
and National Marines: 8,000,000 marines
Zathgan speical forces:2,500,000 speical forces

Transhuman Proteus
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Transhuman Proteus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Yanitza wrote:
Zathganastan wrote:Well this won't end well Turkey is one of the most power nations in the region while Syria is already facing a crisis back in their own homeland.

exactly, Turkey probably did this on purpose for an excuse for itself and NATO to invade

What does Turkey get out of loosing a plane and a couple of pilots and then getting involved in a war in Syria?

Yanitza
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:09 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:What the fuck does the Syrian Military think? They're having trouble stemming a tide of uprisings, so they go and piss all over a neighbor that could crush them within a month if they had to? :palm:

What the Fuck does the Turkish military think, thier neighbour is having trouble stemming the tide of uprisings so they go and provoke them?

Costa Fiero
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fiero » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:09 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Costa Fiero wrote:The aircraft involved was an F4 Phantom. I'm not entirely sure if said aircraft was modernised or whether or not.

The Turkish Air Force has modernized them considerably. They are completely different animals from the Lead Sled that dominated the skies over Vietnam.

Then how the hell can it be shot down? I know that Syria possess a few very modern SAM systems but I would have thought the Turkish crews were better trained?

Yanitza
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Costa Fiero wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:
The Turkish Air Force has modernized them considerably. They are completely different animals from the Lead Sled that dominated the skies over Vietnam.

Then how the hell can it be shot down? I know that Syria possess a few very modern SAM systems but I would have thought the Turkish crews were better trained?

See this just furthers my point, I think it's a bit suspicious

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Costa Fiero wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

Could be an old model being used as a trainer. If that's the case, it'd have very few expensive systems on-board.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Yanitza wrote:Bu the point is that it is not exactly a normal situation is it, considering that Syria is in a massive state of unrest and the regim is probably very paranoid of the Wordl right now becuase of the condemnation it has drawn and the actions int he Secruity council

No, and hence why these mistakes happen. It tends to happen in high-stress environments like this.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Yanitza wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:
Airspace violations happen all the time, all over the world.

Yeah but when a nation like Syria is undergoing serious civil unrest I think somone should have had second thoughts about the reaction this time

Syria and Turkey have border problems. Syria claims the south most province of Turkey, Hatay. So the Turkish and Syrian governments have different ideas on what counts are Syrian airspace.
Go Vikings.

Yanitza
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:11 pm

Zathganastan wrote:
Yanitza wrote:

Nothing that wouldn't be offset by dead turkish troops and a likely insurgency right after the Syrian regime falls right next to them.

Really, Maybe more favourable realtions with major NATO states, Greater influence is Syria

Not Kony Run Uganda
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Not Kony Run Uganda » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:12 pm

You know what I'm getting tired of Syria's bullshit, have turkey nuke em. While we're at it why not Iran too? If Russia and China say anything we NATO could say it was all Turkey. Then Turkey gets raped and we get alot of hash, problem solved.
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.64

Noobubersland
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Noobubersland » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Not Kony Run Uganda wrote:You know what I'm getting tired of Syria's bullshit, have turkey nuke em. While we're at it why not Iran too? If Russia and China say anything we NATO could say it was all Turkey. Then Turkey gets raped and we get alot of hash, problem solved.

Turkey doesn't have Nukes
Grand-Duc de Languedoc, Under Roi J&D I

Zathganastan
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zathganastan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Yanitza wrote:
Zathganastan wrote:

Really, Maybe more favourable realtions with major NATO states, Greater influence is Syria

An enemy literally right next door that's pissed off at them still isn't worth it.
Evelyn Beatrice Hall:I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
Shakespeare:All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;And one man in his time plays many parts
The Allied states Military, zathganastans pride and Joy:
Army: 35,000,000 armed forces
Navy: 18,000 ships
Air force: 10,000,000 air force personal
and National Marines: 8,000,000 marines
Zathgan speical forces:2,500,000 speical forces

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:14 pm

Costa Fiero wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

It probably would have been shot down if it was an F-22. Aircraft are still extremely vulnerable to air defense. Advanced technology is not an i win button.
Go Vikings.

Not Kony Run Uganda
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Not Kony Run Uganda » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:14 pm

Noobubersland wrote:
Not Kony Run Uganda wrote:You know what I'm getting tired of Syria's bullshit, have turkey nuke em. While we're at it why not Iran too? If Russia and China say anything we NATO could say it was all Turkey. Then Turkey gets raped and we get alot of hash, problem solved.

Turkey doesn't have Nukes

We give Turkey nukes free of charge, they do now.
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.64

Yanitza
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Yanitza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:15 pm

Zathganastan wrote:
Yanitza wrote:Really, Maybe more favourable realtions with major NATO states, Greater influence is Syria

An enemy literally right next door that's pissed off at them still isn't worth it.

but if Turkey and NATO succed in disposing the Syrian regime and setting up a more friendly and pliable one then Turkey has much to gain

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Yanitza wrote: but if Turkey and NATO succed in disposing the Syrian regime and setting up a more friendly and pliable one then Turkey has much to gain

What? Getting involved in the decades-long, expensive Afghanistan Conflict 2: Electric Boogaloo? That's a 'gain' for Turkey?
Last edited by Avenio on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General