NATION

PASSWORD

Impeach President Obama

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dioana
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dioana » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:36 pm

We Disapprove

But in all seriousness even if you want him out we have like, what not much longer to see if he stays in office or not.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:37 pm

United Dependencies wrote:

no
The Cat-Tribe wrote:Don't believe the hype! Especially hysterical analyses that (a) don't consider amendments that were made to the bill (so are outdated), (b) aren't from qualified sources, and/or (c) are just plain wrong.

I am not supportive of this law, but I don't think lying about it or spreading misinformation and/or hysteria is warranted.

1. The NDAA couldn't override the Constitution, even if it tried.

2. The NDAA merely reflects EXISTING LAW and does not do what critics allege! Here is the relevant language:
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Dioana wrote:We Disapprove

But in all seriousness even if you want him out we have like, what not much longer to see if he stays in office or not.

cut the spam please.

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:38 pm

Christ and His Kingdom wrote:For those who don't believe me when I said this "President Obama has even admitted that what he did by not enforcing immigration laws is unconstitutional and that he is not given the power to choose which laws are worthy of enforcement. In a Univision Town Hall interview in March 2011 he said and I quote "With respect to the notion that I can just suspend deportations through executive order, that's just not the case because there are laws on the books that Congress has passed, and I know that everybody at here at Bell is studying hard so you know that we got three branches of government: Congress passes the law, the Executive Branch's job is to enforce and implement those laws, and then the Judiciary has to interpret the laws. There are enough laws on the books, by Congress, that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system, that for me to simply through executive order to ignore those congressional mandates, would not conform with my appropriate role as President."

Here is the link to video of him saying that, through executive order, not enforcing U.S. immigration laws would "not conform with my appropriate role as President." A little than a year later he did exactly what he said he was not given the ability to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfZ3kaKZoIw

And here's where I posted a link that points out that said video had the ending, which puts everything in a very different context, cut out by people pushing a Republican agenda:
viewtopic.php?p=9828446#p9828446
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:38 pm

Jefferson and Paul wrote:

Yes, I realize it was blocked last month, but not by the Supreme Court. Although it's chilling that Obama signed it in the first place.

It had a massive veto proof majority. Him not signing it would have been a waste of political capital.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Der Landstreicher
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Landstreicher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:39 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Der Landstreicher wrote:That's quite recent so I'd cut him a break.

Whether one is able to be locked up indefinitely without trial leads to the larger problem that it seems that it's legal for the president to order the killing of US citizens without trial.

I want source for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki
Wasting time here since 2010

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:39 pm

no
The Cat-Tribe wrote:Don't believe the hype! Especially hysterical analyses that (a) don't consider amendments that were made to the bill (so are outdated), (b) aren't from qualified sources, and/or (c) are just plain wrong.

I am not supportive of this law, but I don't think lying about it or spreading misinformation and/or hysteria is warranted.

1. The NDAA couldn't override the Constitution, even if it tried.

2. The NDAA merely reflects EXISTING LAW and does not do what critics allege! Here is the relevant language:

You do know that, I said "cant"...
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jefferson and Paul
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jefferson and Paul » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Jefferson and Paul wrote:Yes, I realize it was blocked last month, but not by the Supreme Court.

Highest court to rule so far has ruled that it is unconstitutional.
No one took matter up to supreme court, because it was pointless.

Jefferson and Paul wrote:Although it's chilling that Obama signed it in the first place.

And?
He cant put judges in jail for ruling against him: so if you think constitutional rights are being infringed - USA has supreme court.

"That law must be ok because nobody took it to the Supreme Court yet"
Sure. First, someone has to be detained under this law. Then they can bring it up before the Supreme Court.
Many establishment Democrats oppose the NDAA, but they love the person who signed it. This is a great example of why sheepish followers are dangerous.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WA Ambassador
Obo Sayver

★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆ UDL ★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:It had a massive veto proof majority. Him not signing it would have been a waste of political capital.

It was also a 900 page omnibus bill with all the fixings that basically funded the entire DoD. The relevant pages were just rehashes of the AUMF passed under Bush.

more proof that the news media cares more about making a splash than getting the actual news, frankly.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Der Landstreicher wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:I want source for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki

He was senior member of al-Qaeda.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:42 pm

Great Nepal wrote:You do know that, I said "cant"...

No I didn't.

Looks I should learn reading comprehension. :oops:

Der Landstreicher
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Landstreicher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

And an American citizen.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

If this was a Republican administration, Awlaki's death wouldn't be a political issue. At all. It took the Democrats being in office for the Republicans to suddenly start caring about the rights of terrorists.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Jefferson and Paul wrote:"That law must be ok because nobody took it to the Supreme Court yet"
Sure. First, someone has to be detained under this law. Then they can bring it up before the Supreme Court.
Many establishment Democrats oppose the NDAA, but they love the person who signed it. This is a great example of why sheepish followers are dangerous.

Cut the stawman.
I said since highest court to rule has said it is unconstitutional, it is unconstitutional: taking it to supreme court is pointless.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Der Landstreicher wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:He was senior member of al-Qaeda.

And an American citizen.

An American citizen levying war against the US.

Der Landstreicher
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Landstreicher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:45 pm

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:

If this was a Republican administration, Awlaki's death wouldn't be a political issue. At all. It took the Democrats being in office for the Republicans to suddenly start caring about the rights of terrorists.

Who says I'm a Republican? Besides the fact there were more than Republicans complaining. (Though to be fair I never heard any Republicans complain)

Jefferson and Paul
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jefferson and Paul » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Der Landstreicher wrote:And an American citizen.

And? Did Lincoln assassinate the Confederate Generals and Jefferson Davis? No, he granted them amnesty.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WA Ambassador
Obo Sayver

★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆ UDL ★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Great Nepal wrote:You do know that, I said "cant"...

No I didn't.
Looks I should learn reading comprehension. :oops:

NP. :)

Der Landstreicher wrote:

And an American citizen.

May be US should start revoking citizenship of terrorists... would that make you happy?
Seriously, he was a terrorist; and got what was coming to him from time he took that path.

Der Landstreicher
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Landstreicher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 pm

He broke the law, and according to the 5th Amendment he had the "right" to due process.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Der Landstreicher wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:An American citizen levying war against the US.

He broke the law, and according to the 5th Amendment he had the "right" to due process.

If he surrendered to law enforcement, he would have been.
He died because arrest was not possible.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Jefferson and Paul wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:An American citizen levying war against the US.

And? Did Lincoln assassinate the Confederate Generals and Jefferson Davis? No, he granted them amnesty.

But it was OK for those generals to be killed in combat, correct? When Albert Sidney Johnston was killed at Shiloh, was there a chorus of people saying he should've been arrested? No. arrest was not possible, just like with Awlaki.
Last edited by The Tiger Kingdom on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Der Landstreicher
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Landstreicher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

May be US should start revoking citizenship of terrorists... would that make you happy?
Seriously, he was a terrorist; and got what was coming to him from time he took that path.

When was he convicted of being a terrorist? There was no trial.
What ever happened to the whole "innocent until proven guilty"? That's the foundation of Anglo-American law and it's just tossed out the window.

Medok
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Medok » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:49 pm

Treason /=/ Losing Constitutional Rights.
I Roleplay as the Yuuzhan Vong. Because We're awesome and better than any other race.

Necronikon
Secretary

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Necronikon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:49 pm

Well regardless of what anyone here thinks, a bill was introduced into the House looking to impeach Nobama, co-sponsored by the great Ron Paul. I for one hope it passes(and really really hope Mitt Romney doesn't win by default). Nonetheless it shall be an interesting year.
Ron Paul 2012 :D

Der Landstreicher
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Landstreicher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:49 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Der Landstreicher wrote:He broke the law, and according to the 5th Amendment he had the "right" to due process.

If he surrendered to law enforcement, he would have been.
He died because arrest was not possible.

Who decided this?
If it's certainly viable for the Bush administration to kidnap people and send them to torture camps I don't see it much different than rounding someone up and bringing them to court.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General