NATION

PASSWORD

If you could change one thing in history.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Glorious Brittania
Envoy

Founded: Aug 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Brittania » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:19 am

Priory Academy USSR wrote:
Glorious Brittania wrote:
Henry V was actually a bit of a bastard really, when you look past the Shakespearean propaganda. He massacred French civilians, brutally quashed any religious dissidence and had a crap haircut

Like most other medieval kings, then?

Pretty much. But with a really godawful hairdo thrown in on top of everything else.

Bordurian
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bordurian » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:25 am

Glorious Brittania wrote:
Priory Academy USSR wrote:
Like most other medieval kings, then?

Pretty much. But with a really godawful hairdo thrown in on top of everything else.

Henry V (in my opinion) was a fairly good ruler.
Signed: Stefan III of Bordurian Grand Duke of Małapolska Duke of Bratislava Lord of Bohemia Baron of Zakopane, order of the Bear and of the Holy cross, His Holy Catholic Majesty Stefan III
Left -2.69
Authoritarian 3.45
[/floatleft]
Winners of the Free South Califas Roller Hockey Tournament
Participant in the 61st cup of Harmony,the 48th Baptisim of
Fire, the 19th Rugby Union world cup and World Cup 62
History, Geography, Reading, European
holidays, running, soccer, golf and Badminton

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Delvoir wrote:
Disserbia wrote:Thats funny, because it worked pretty well for Museveni in Uganda. Doing research always helps when making arguments.

I'd like to point out that Uganda is a third world country and therefore it's very likely that a high population of both homosexual and heterosexual people are infected with STDs due to the lack of contraception.

Wow that shows how little you know what I'm talking about. Like I said, its generally a good idea to be able to back up your views concretely before debating with someone that can do this. If you are not familiar with Museveni's policies concerning the aids epidemic and homosexuality in Uganda, its stupid to make assumptions about it. Do your homework please.
Last edited by Disserbia on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:53 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Disserbia wrote:Thats funny, because it worked pretty well for Museveni in Uganda. Doing research always helps when making arguments.
the difference is that Gaddafi didn't invade the US and try to kill Obama, and then justify it as working for the benefit of the American people. Sure he did, but so do Western governments when its to their advantage, so its pretty stupid of them to use it as a reason to invade a sovereign nation and break international law conventions, especially when that isn't the reason they're doing it. Meanwhile in Syria...

The US didn't invade. We were rather insistent on not entering the country.

I didn't say they invaded. If we were really that insistent we wouldn't have participated in military action...its a really easy thing not to do...particularly during a global recession where our troops still have other commitments abroad.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
PC:
PS:
PT:

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Disserbia wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:The US didn't invade. We were rather insistent on not entering the country.

I didn't say they invaded. If we were really that insistent we wouldn't have participated in military action...its a really easy thing not to do...particularly during a global recession where our troops still have other commitments abroad.

I think that the Lockheed-Martin missiles and bombs that entered the country certainly did the objectives they hit a disserbice :P
Last edited by Shofercia on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:44 am

Shofercia wrote:
Disserbia wrote:I didn't say they invaded. If we were really that insistent we wouldn't have participated in military action...its a really easy thing not to do...particularly during a global recession where our troops still have other commitments abroad.

I think that the Lockheed-Martin missiles and bombs that entered the country certainly did the objectives they hit a disserbice :P

I'm sure those who launched them would agree with that comment on many levels.

PC:
PS:
PT:

Zutendaal
Diplomat

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

If you could change one thing in history.

Postby Zutendaal » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:58 am

Disserbia wrote:
Delvoir wrote:
I'd like to point out that Uganda is a third world country and therefore it's very likely that a high population of both homosexual and heterosexual people are infected with STDs due to the lack of contraception.

Wow that shows how little you know what I'm talking about. Like I said, its generally a good idea to be able to back up your views concretely before debating with someone that can do this. If you are not familiar with Museveni's policies concerning the aids epidemic and homosexuality in Uganda, its stupid to make assumptions about it. Do your homework please.

this is MY homework
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjnrLt3VuSM
oh,yes.He is very serious

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:47 am

Zutendaal wrote:
Disserbia wrote:Wow that shows how little you know what I'm talking about. Like I said, its generally a good idea to be able to back up your views concretely before debating with someone that can do this. If you are not familiar with Museveni's policies concerning the aids epidemic and homosexuality in Uganda, its stupid to make assumptions about it. Do your homework please.

this is MY homework
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjnrLt3VuSM
oh,yes.He is very serious

Yeah and this proves that Museveni's measures to reduce the spread of aids in his country were ineffective...how? Oh right, it didn't because his measures were effective. I'm not condoning discrimination and suppression of homosexuals, I'm just pointing out that that was part of his policy and it did prove successful. This was in response to someone who theorized that such measures would have no effect on that problem and thus be unsuccessful. Here is an empirical example proving otherwise. I'm sorry if this little truth offends you, however, it happened nonetheless, and to ignore it and say things to the contrary would be inaccurate.

PC:
PS:
PT:

Horsefish
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Horsefish » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:47 am

Glorious Brittania wrote:He massacred French civilians, brutally quashed any religious dissidence

In all fairness, that was practicly the national past-time back then.
Areopagitican wrote:I'm not an expert in the field of moron, but what I think he's saying is that if you have to have sex with Shakira (or another dirty ethnic), at the very least, it must be part of a threesome with a white woman. It's a sacrifice, but someone has to make it.

Geniasis wrote:Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bludgeon some whales to death with my 12-ft dick.

Georgism wrote:
Geniasis wrote:Maybe if you showered every now and then...

That's what the Nazis said, we're not falling for that one again.

The Western Reaches wrote:I learned that YOU are the reason I embarrassed myself by saying "Horsefish" instead of "Seahorse" this one time in school.

What's wrong with a little destruction?

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:51 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:All those inidans needed was decent border security and the country would still be free.
:p

Bull shit. They would have sent more men. Europe was going to colonise the Americas, one way or another, and I'm pretty damn glad they did.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

The TransPecos
Envoy

Founded: May 14, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The TransPecos » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:07 pm

Richard III wins the Battle of Bosworth...

Hamerville
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamerville » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Assassination of julius caesar

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:37 pm

The invention of ice cream never happens.

Nu Sparta
Minister

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nu Sparta » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:42 pm

If i had to change one thing in history it would either be

1. That the religions of the "god of Abraham" never developed and the world remained mostly pagan.

or

2. That people never forgot they ARE animals and NOT above nature, and instead of changing the planet to suit their needs they adapted to their surroundings.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:43 pm

Nu Sparta wrote:If i had to change one thing in history it would either be

1. That the religions of the "god of Abraham" never developed and the world remained mostly pagan.

or

2. That people never forgot they ARE animals and NOT above nature, and instead of changing the planet to suit their needs they adapted to their surroundings.

You know many pagan religion were just a violent as the Christian Theocracies right?

Nu Sparta
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nu Sparta » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:45 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Nu Sparta wrote:If i had to change one thing in history it would either be

or

You know many pagan religion were just a violent as the Christian Theocracies right?

Who said it had anything to do with violence?

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:45 pm

Nu Sparta wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:You know many pagan religion were just a violent as the Christian Theocracies right?

Who said it had anything to do with violence?

Then why change it?

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:53 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Nu Sparta wrote:Who said it had anything to do with violence?

Then why change it?

One god is boring.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:57 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:Then why change it?

One god is boring.

I suppose so.

Someone could make a drama show from the acitions of the Greek Goods, constantly squabbaling and and making tempoary alliances.

Nu Sparta
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nu Sparta » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:59 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Nu Sparta wrote:Who said it had anything to do with violence?

Then why change it?

Because I believe that ancient religions were much truer then Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. I find it hard to believe that people all over the world would believe in multitudes of gods for absolute no reason what so ever without any sort of proof. I find things in their (Christianity and Islam, don't really have that much of a problem with Judaism) holy books hard to believe. Like the fact that they say we are all created in their one god's image but we all look and act quite differently. Or if there were only two people created at the beginning of the world who did their children marry if not each other, so we should all be inbred and sterile. Or if he is all knowing and omnipresent and supreme intelligence why hasn't he come to the conclusion that just showing himself and snapping his fingers to remake us "perfect" is the best solution. I find it easier to accept that ancient gods existed and were much like us yet more powerful. I also find it easier to accept that they've decided to go "Fuck you, you aren't paying attention to us" and have either left us or are just ignoring us now. Not saying they shouldn't have existed just wish they didn't take over the world. At least the world would be a more diverse place that way.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:01 pm

Nu Sparta wrote:2. That people never forgot they ARE animals and NOT above nature, and instead of changing the planet to suit their needs they adapted to their surroundings.

The Ball and the Cross wrote:"Yes, in a real sense nature does not exist. I mean that nobody can discover what the original nature of things would have been if things had not interfered with it. The first blade of grass began to tear up the earth and eat it; it was interfering with nature, if there is any nature. The first wild ox began to tear up the grass and eat it; he was interfering with nature, if there is any nature. In the same way," continued Turnbull, "the human when it asserts its dominance over nature is just as natural as the thing which it destroys."
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:02 pm

Nu Sparta wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:Then why change it?

Because I believe that ancient religions were much truer then Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. I find it hard to believe that people all over the world would believe in multitudes of gods for absolute no reason what so ever without any sort of proof. I find things in their (Christianity and Islam, don't really have that much of a problem with Judaism) holy books hard to believe. Like the fact that they say we are all created in their one god's image but we all look and act quite differently. Or if there were only two people created at the beginning of the world who did their children marry if not each other, so we should all be inbred and sterile. Or if he is all knowing and omnipresent and supreme intelligence why hasn't he come to the conclusion that just showing himself and snapping his fingers to remake us "perfect" is the best solution. I find it easier to accept that ancient gods existed and were much like us yet more powerful. I also find it easier to accept that they've decided to go "Fuck you, you aren't paying attention to us" and have either left us or are just ignoring us now. Not saying they shouldn't have existed just wish they didn't take over the world. At least the world would be a more diverse place that way.

I don't think you can get away with getting rid of Monotheistic religions because they weren't as true.

Because, hate to break it to ya, but no religion is objectavly truer than the other. They all require faith and have no evidence to back them up.

Nu Sparta
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nu Sparta » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:05 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Nu Sparta wrote:2. That people never forgot they ARE animals and NOT above nature, and instead of changing the planet to suit their needs they adapted to their surroundings.

The Ball and the Cross wrote:"Yes, in a real sense nature does not exist. I mean that nobody can discover what the original nature of things would have been if things had not interfered with it. The first blade of grass began to tear up the earth and eat it; it was interfering with nature, if there is any nature. The first wild ox began to tear up the grass and eat it; he was interfering with nature, if there is any nature. In the same way," continued Turnbull, "the human when it asserts its dominance over nature is just as natural as the thing which it destroys."

And to that i say stop over thinking things. I'm not saying human beings shouldn't have gathered resources. I'm saying we shouldn't have done massive land clearing just to build a city. I would of preferred human kind stay in its tribal form.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:06 pm

Nu Sparta wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:

And to that i say stop over thinking things. I'm not saying human beings shouldn't have gathered resources. I'm saying we shouldn't have done massive land clearing just to build a city. I would of preferred human kind stay in its tribal form.

When we died of extremely mundane diseases?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:07 pm

Nu Sparta wrote:And to that i say stop over thinking things.

Thought is such a terrible thing, isn't it?
I'm not saying human beings shouldn't have gathered resources. I'm saying we shouldn't have done massive land clearing just to build a city. I would of preferred human kind stay in its tribal form.

But clearing land to build a city is just as natural as a Beaver's Dam or a Bee's hive.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General