NATION

PASSWORD

Established Religion Is So Evil ...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:59 am

The ancient Kingdom of Putacaia wrote:Yes, it is so evil.

Please read the first post before replying.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Conspiracies Revealed
Envoy

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conspiracies Revealed » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Socialdemokraterne wrote:
Conspiracies Revealed wrote:If you're an atheist, you might actually want to support a state church. Countries with a state church actually have more atheists than countries without them.

I'd be fairly surprised if institution of a state church actually caused increases in the domestic Atheist population.

It does. Look at the atheist populations in the Scandinavian Counties and the UK, which have state churches. Then compare it to secular countries.
I am not a conspiracy theorist.

The Jahistic Unified Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jahistic Unified Republic » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:24 pm

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... qzLJEzauTg

I was there. Tell the 100 something houses we helped rebuild that established religion is evil. There are extremes, then there are the other 90%.

<Koyro> (Democratic Koyro) NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
The Emerald Dawn wrote:"Considering Officer Krupke was patently idiotic to charge these young men in the first place, we're dropping the charges in the interest of not wasting any more of the Judiciary's time with farcical charges brought by officers who require more training on basic legal principles."

Baseball is Best Sport. Life long StL Fan.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Nidaria wrote:Insults detract from your argument. The Catholic Church supports science.

The Catholic Church only supports scientific theories that have been shown to be true beyond doubt so people won't continue to realize they still don't like science. They've essentialy been forced to support certain scientific theories.

The Catholic Church doesn't support any scientific theory - they're open to anything that's compatible with Catholic teaching. Scientific research is out of their domain - they deal with matters of faith and morals.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:
So, what's your point?

That I don't see why an atheist would necessarily want there to be more atheists in their country, that I don't see how that would be a reason to support an established religion.

An atheist certainly could want more atheists in their country.
But the right way to go about that would be to persuade other people to atheism. Not to try to enforce it by law.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Conspiracies Revealed
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Conspiracies Revealed » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Why would I want there to be more atheists in my country?

You accept that as true?

@Conspiracies Revealed: Interesting! Sounds like bullshit ... or am I just judging your opinions by your name? Something to back that up would be good.

ie. Rant, Source, or GTFO

Church of England: About 50% of people in the UK are atheist
Church of Norway: About 70% of people in Norway are atheist

Also Gallup did a survey, and if you look at the top 11 religious countries and the 11 least religious countries, most of the least religious countries haves state churches.
Last edited by Conspiracies Revealed on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conspiracies Revealed
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Conspiracies Revealed » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:32 pm

Auralia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:
The Catholic Church only supports scientific theories that have been shown to be true beyond doubt so people won't continue to realize they still don't like science. They've essentialy been forced to support certain scientific theories.

The Catholic Church doesn't support any scientific theory - they're open to anything that's compatible with Catholic teaching. Scientific research is out of their domain - they deal with matters of faith and morals.

What's the Vatican Observatory, again?

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Auralia wrote:"Progressive" churches that "change with the times" scare me. A lot. Christianity is based on absolute morality - in my opinion, churches which reject that principle aren't really Christian, and certainly aren't worthy of my membership or faith. That's why I'm a Roman Catholic.

Because Roman Catholicism doesn't "change with the times" or make an effort to be "progressive" except for the Second Vatican Council, and when Pope who promotes these things does so there is certainly no effort to saint him afterwards...except for Pope John XXIII.

The Second Vatican Council didn't contradict any of the Church's teachings.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:37 pm

Conspiracies Revealed wrote:
Auralia wrote:

What's the Vatican Observatory, again?

Fair enough. However, the Church doesn't take the findings from the Observatory and mandate that all Catholics believe them - their role as a Church and as a supporter of scientific research are completely separate.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
You accept that as true?

@Conspiracies Revealed: Interesting! Sounds like bullshit ... or am I just judging your opinions by your name? Something to back that up would be good.

ie. Rant, Source, or GTFO

I'd be mighty impressed if those two things were true. It would hugely support the idea I put in the OP.

However, it doesn't sound even remotely true.

Let's see some figures. Let's see a source for that.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Terruana wrote:
Johz wrote:Okay you're right. I'm clearly a month or two out of date.

That would be a valid point if we had any sort of nationally-elected representative in the house of Lords. Currently we do not. The bishops attempt to represent all people - including atheists if their rights were to be threatened - for example when fighting the benefit reform bill.

Small flaw in your reasoning. The bishops don't represent all people, because they campaign to have homosexuals treated as second class citizens. On that basis alone, I think there are reasonable grounds for me to say with absolute certainty that they should have no part in making laws.

Edit: Also, in case it wasn't clear, when I said MP I was referring to the house of commons, where the elected officials go. If bishops want to "represent all people", they should stand for election, just like everyone else.

But there are no Bishops in the House of Commons. In the HoC there are elected leaders who represent their constituencies. In the House of Lords, theoretically at least, there are non-elected figures of authority, and thus any form of representation of the majority of people.

The majority of bishops are actually very supportive of gay rights. Alas, there is the issue of gay marriage, and they are slightly more supportive of a traditional view that states that the role of marriage is to bring children into the world. There are some bishops, and certainly a larger number of clergy, that would support gay marriage, but the politics of the church as a whole means that the more official position must be against gay marriage.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Conspiracies Revealed
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Conspiracies Revealed » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:51 pm

Ailiailia wrote:

I'd be mighty impressed if those two things were true. It would hugely support the idea I put in the OP.

Johz
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Terruana wrote:
Jafas United wrote:
To be fair, to be fair, most Christian denominations do not view homosexuality in itself as a sin. They view acting upon your homosexuality (i.e. having sex with the same gender) as a sin, and that is a choice.

Wait, what part of that is fair?

What part of "you were born with no legs, you can't ride that bicycle" is fair?

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality

Also, bonobos zygons.

Leepaidamba
Minister

Founded: Sep 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Leepaidamba » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Ailiailia wrote:.
The Church of England is one of the most tolerant and progressive Christian Churches.

This is the Church that so many people emigrated to get away from. In the US, still wary of it when it came time to do the Constitution.

The CoE has gotten better.

Has it been a drag on the political liberalization of Britain? ... doesn't look that way.

Anybody who knows much about the Church of Sweden, etc, is invited to give other examples.

Or counter-examples.

Maybe Establishment of the Church isn't actually such an evil after all?

There's a joke made by secularists at times: 'If we wanted an atheist country, we'd make it a Christian country first/we'd be asking for an established national church', or something like that.
I think you're making a bad comparison.
A non-secular state is not much of a problem when the established religion is not much of a problem itself. In the various European countries where this is the case that's because 1) there's great religious diversity, and 2) religiosity is low, and for these reasons the established religion has little reason to be intrusive. However, in countries where there is less religious diversity and people are more religious, the established religion is more likely, even almost certain, to be intrusive. Add to this the decreased tolerance towards people of other religions or none at all by the religious majority which one can expect, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Meanwhile, in our hypothetical secular state where we can also vary whatever parameter we want, it doesn't really matter how religious everyone is and how diverse all the religions are. The government is free from religious interference, and while in a more religious country like the United states you'll have people getting upset about it and trying their utmost to get rid of it, even denying it outright, you're still just as free to practice whatever religion you happen to or none at all and nobody can really do anything about it just as in those liberal non-secular places. However, you're a lot better of than in the more conservative non-secular countries. And as I've said, that's regardless of who's the majority and how big that majority is.

In other words, a secular state and a good non-secular state are largely indistiguishable, and perhaps a non-secular state is even preferable in that respect. Only when one considers all non-secular states though is it clear that a secular state is overall preferable.
Factbook
Official name: the Grand Duchy of Leepaidamba
Short name: Amba
AKA: the Grand Duchy
Demonym: Leepaidamban/Amban
HoS: co-Grand Dukes David I and Anna I
HoG: Premier Jaap de Waal
Region: Nederland
Map by PB
FlagsNational animal: Rabit
National motto: "Paene est non." (Almost is not)
National anthem: " 't Lied der Vrijheid" (the Song of Freedom)
CapitalsCurrency: Amban Florin/Aƒ
Languages
Dependencies
No news

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:07 pm

Ailiailia wrote:

Image[

Thanks. I like graphs. :)

I can't tell what the first graph is about. It's from wikipedia, but "bsa" doesn't help me much. Boy Scouts of America?

The second graph shows England and Norway at about 30% Atheist, with more "non-religious" as well.

I like that you showed me something, but without links to where the graphs came from it doesn't mean much.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Conspiracies Revealed
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Conspiracies Revealed » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:09 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Image[

Thanks. I like graphs. :)

I can't tell what the first graph is about. It's from wikipedia, but "bsa" doesn't help me much. Boy Scouts of America?

The second graph shows England and Norway at about 30% Atheist, with more "non-religious" as well.

I like that you showed me something, but without links to where the graphs came from it doesn't mean much.

British Social Attitudes. :p

Link 1

The second link was from Pitzer college, but the website it was on removed it.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Johz wrote:
Terruana wrote:
Wait, what part of that is fair?

What part of "you were born with no legs, you can't ride that bicycle" is fair?

Gimme that bicycle, some old bicycle parts, and an oxy welding kit. I'll have your legless person riding in no time. The saddle will be more comfortable too!

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Johz
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:17 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Johz wrote:What part of "you were born with no legs, you can't ride that bicycle" is fair?

Gimme that bicycle, some old bicycle parts, and an oxy welding kit. I'll have your legless person riding in no time. The saddle will be more comfortable too!

Will he still have to wear that horrible spandex stuff?

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman

Also, bonobos zygons.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Conspiracies Revealed wrote:The second link was from Pitzer college, but the website it was on removed it.

Yah. That's usually a bad sign.

BSA is also "no religion" not atheist.

I wouldn't base an argument off either of those, but still it's useful. Not sure what the hell is going on there in Vietnam ...

For being the first to bring anything remotely resembling quantitative analysis to the thread, you get cookies.

...wait, I've eaten all my cookies. Would you like a tomato?

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:39 pm

Auralia wrote:
Disserbia wrote:Because Roman Catholicism doesn't "change with the times" or make an effort to be "progressive" except for the Second Vatican Council, and when Pope who promotes these things does so there is certainly no effort to saint him afterwards...except for Pope John XXIII.

Changed the attitude of of the church to other religions in a pretty huge way I'd say.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Johz wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

Will he still have to wear that horrible spandex stuff?

The client will be pedalling with both hands and steering with their mouth. Obviously, the saddle will need to provide more linear, lateral and torsional support than the standard bicycle saddle. A lot more. Perhaps with straps.

I don't think I could provide that if the client turns up wearing baggy shorts and refuses to strip down. It will have to be the spandex.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:44 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Auralia wrote:

Changed the attitude of of the church to other religions in a pretty huge way I'd say.

Seems you came into this thread saying the Church shouldn't change, and it's great that the Catholic Church hasn't changed ...

but now you're saying the 2VC changed the attitude of the church "in a pretty huge way" ?

You are confusing me.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Disserbia wrote:Changed the attitude of of the church to other religions in a pretty huge way I'd say.

Seems you came into this thread saying the Church shouldn't change, and it's great that the Catholic Church hasn't changed ...

but now you're saying the 2VC changed the attitude of the church "in a pretty huge way" ?

You are confusing me.

I came into this thread saying that anyone who dismisses established religion as evil is not someone I'd bother to have a conversation with...
I really don't want to read through all those documents again. I'll try to find which one I was referring to. It might have been from Paul VI but I doubt it.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Ailiailia wrote:Not sure what the hell is going on there in Vietnam ...

Makes sense to me. It's a communist country of relatively recent vintage. China is low, but the Chinese govt has been playing dirty pool against their religious populations for a long time now and have generated no small amount of bitter determination, I'm sure.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:29 am

Ailiailia wrote:Not sure what the hell is going on there in Vietnam ...

I find the stats for Israel more amusing, what with what it is.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General