NATION

PASSWORD

Established Religion Is So Evil ...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:33 am

The Church of England is a mere political tool of the UK government, it's unnecessary and pointless. It doesn't change because it's convicted to do so, it changes when it's told to change, there's a reason why there are so few practicing members left, both in the UK and in its American province, the Episcopal Church.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:35 am

Mike the Progressive wrote:The Church of England is a mere political tool of the UK government, it's unnecessary and pointless. It doesn't change because it's convicted to do so, it changes when it's told to change, there's a reason why there are so few practicing members left, both in the UK and in its American province, the Episcopal Church.

"Convicted"?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:36 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:The Church of England is a mere political tool of the UK government, it's unnecessary and pointless. It doesn't change because it's convicted to do so, it changes when it's told to change, there's a reason why there are so few practicing members left, both in the UK and in its American province, the Episcopal Church.

"Convicted"?

Hmmm.

Shadowlandistan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowlandistan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:12 am

Religion is horrible, we should phase it out ASAP!
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.54

You are an anarcho-collectivistic.

Cosmopolitan 43%- Nationalistic
Secular 104% -Fundamentalist
Visionary 72%- Reactionary
Anarchistic 76%- Authoritarian
Communistic 34%- Capitalistic
Pacifist 47%- Militaristic
Ecological 16%- Anthropocentric

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:00 pm

Terruana wrote:I think the archbishop of Canterbury trying to force parliament not to pass any laws legalizing gay marriage means the CoE still isn't a force for good, no matter how tolerant it is.
One of the things I really hate about my country is that people seem to think religious figures like the Archbishop deserve a say in the law-making process. They don't. He runs the church, not the country. Until he gets elected as an MP, he has no right to tell the government what they can and can't do.

The Archbishop (iirc) has not yet spoken officially about the proposals, except to urge the government to consider everything carefully.

Although why shouldn't religious people have a say in the law-making process? They represent a large proportion of the people of the country, and have a strong insight into the lives of ordinary people. In a House of Lords that is theoretically made up of experts in their fields, the bishops perhaps are the experts in the opinion of the populace - the elected part of a largely unelected institution. They are supported as well by more than just the Christian faith - Jewish and Muslim leaders agree with them on the grounds that they represent religion as a whole, rather than just Christianity.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Terruana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terruana » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Johz wrote:
Terruana wrote:I think the archbishop of Canterbury trying to force parliament not to pass any laws legalizing gay marriage means the CoE still isn't a force for good, no matter how tolerant it is.
One of the things I really hate about my country is that people seem to think religious figures like the Archbishop deserve a say in the law-making process. They don't. He runs the church, not the country. Until he gets elected as an MP, he has no right to tell the government what they can and can't do.

The Archbishop (iirc) has not yet spoken officially about the proposals, except to urge the government to consider everything carefully.

Although why shouldn't religious people have a say in the law-making process? They represent a large proportion of the people of the country, and have a strong insight into the lives of ordinary people. In a House of Lords that is theoretically made up of experts in their fields, the bishops perhaps are the experts in the opinion of the populace - the elected part of a largely unelected institution. They are supported as well by more than just the Christian faith - Jewish and Muslim leaders agree with them on the grounds that they represent religion as a whole, rather than just Christianity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rbury.html

I beg to disagree.
And religious people should get the same say as everyone else in the country. They should get to vote, or stand for election as an MP.
Also, we elect bishops now? Funny, I thought the church just chose who could be a bishop or not. How come we can't have female bishops yet then?

Also, bishops are in no way representative of the general population. What about the 39% of the UK who aren't religious? That's what MPs are for. Y'know, the people you actually get to vote for.

EDIT: oops, put the wrong link. Sorry
Last edited by Terruana on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass Score:
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:17 pm

[quote="Orcoa";p="9536331"]I find that most who are "Against" not just christianity but all organized religion have either been in the faith growing up and has grown out of it out for many reasons...or they are doing it because Richard Darwin commands them to do so :lol:

Also, its not mostly the religion that people get pissed off about its more the leadership not following the teachings of their religion.[/quote
No, the religion does suck.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Orcoa
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Orcoa wrote:I find that most who are "Against" not just christianity but all organized religion have either been in the faith growing up and has grown out of it out for many reasons...or they are doing it because Richard Darwin commands them to do so :lol:

Also, its not mostly the religion that people get pissed off about its more the leadership not following the teachings of their religion.[/quote
No, the religion does suck.

No, you're opinion sucks and that no one really cares. Just kidding of course, I don't really mind if someone mocks my religion. I have just learned to deal with it and know that people have different opinions on such things. You can thank NSG for that! :lol:

Oh and if I remember correctly, you are a Buddhist no?
Long Live The Wolf Emperor!
This is the song I sing to those who screw with me XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXnFhnpEgKY
"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:46 pm

"Progressive" churches that "change with the times" scare me. A lot. Christianity is based on absolute morality - in my opinion, churches which reject that principle aren't really Christian, and certainly aren't worthy of my membership or faith. That's why I'm a Roman Catholic.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Terruana wrote:
Johz wrote:The Archbishop (iirc) has not yet spoken officially about the proposals, except to urge the government to consider everything carefully.

I beg to disagree.
And religious people should get the same say as everyone else in the country. They should get to vote, or stand for election as an MP.
Also, we elect bishops now? Funny, I thought the church just chose who could be a bishop or not. How come we can't have female bishops yet then?

Also, bishops are in no way representative of the general population. What about the 39% of the UK who aren't religious? That's what MPs are for. Y'know, the people you actually get to vote for.

Okay you're right. I'm clearly a month or two out of date.

That would be a valid point if we had any sort of nationally-elected representative in the house of Lords. Currently we do not. The bishops attempt to represent all people - including atheists if their rights were to be threatened - for example when fighting the benefit reform bill.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Orcoa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Auralia wrote:"Progressive" churches that "change with the times" scare me. A lot. Christianity is based on absolute morality - in my opinion, churches which reject that principle aren't really Christian, and certainly aren't worthy of my membership or faith. That's why I'm a Roman Catholic.

Then I feel bad for you, because The Roman Catholic Church is nothing like what Christ had set us out to do. It uses it power and money that he has earned to force their quite frankly sick and pig headed views on their followers who if I remember don't even agree on what the church does.

The Progressive Churches I find are more to what Christ wanted us to do, to be there for all mankind and not the few of the mighty, to fight agasint injustice of those powerful few, and to love all mankind no matter who or what they are.

"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

Terruana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terruana » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Johz wrote:
Terruana wrote:

I beg to disagree.

Okay you're right. I'm clearly a month or two out of date.

That would be a valid point if we had any sort of nationally-elected representative in the house of Lords. Currently we do not. The bishops attempt to represent all people - including atheists if their rights were to be threatened - for example when fighting the benefit reform bill.

Small flaw in your reasoning. The bishops don't represent all people, because they campaign to have homosexuals treated as second class citizens. On that basis alone, I think there are reasonable grounds for me to say with absolute certainty that they should have no part in making laws.

Edit: Also, in case it wasn't clear, when I said MP I was referring to the house of commons, where the elected officials go. If bishops want to "represent all people", they should stand for election, just like everyone else.
Last edited by Terruana on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass Score:
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Orcoa wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No, the religion does suck.

No, you're opinion sucks and that no one really cares. Just kidding of course, I don't really mind if someone mocks my religion. I have just learned to deal with it and know that people have different opinions on such things. You can thank NSG for that! :lol:

I'm not intentionally mocking it. Just saying it's one of the more violent religions and the mythology is poorly written.

Yes I am.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:07 pm

The Church of Henry VII seems to be languishing despite state support.

Apparently the public are not convinced it is so delightful.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Orcoa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Orcoa wrote:

I'm not intentionally mocking it. Just saying it's one of the more violent religions and the mythology is poorly written.

Yes I am.[/quote]
Well we can agree on this....at lest it's better the Scientology :lol:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Orcoa wrote:Well we can agree on this....at lest it's better the Scientology :lol:

LOL not really.

Orcoa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Orcoa wrote:Well we can agree on this....at lest it's better the Scientology :lol:

LOL not really.

Ah I tired! Folded again by the power of ponies!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Orcoa wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:
LOL not really.

Ah I tired! Folded again by the power of ponies!

It's pretty hilarious when people criticize scientology and ignore Christianity.

Orcoa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:21 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Orcoa wrote:Ah I tired! Folded again by the power of ponies!

It's pretty hilarious when people criticize scientology and ignore Christianity.

Yeah it is hahaha

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Auralia wrote:"Progressive" churches that "change with the times" scare me. A lot. Christianity is based on absolute morality - in my opinion, churches which reject that principle aren't really Christian, and certainly aren't worthy of my membership or faith. That's why I'm a Roman Catholic.

Because Roman Catholicism doesn't "change with the times" or make an effort to be "progressive" except for the Second Vatican Council, and when Pope who promotes these things does so there is certainly no effort to saint him afterwards...except for Pope John XXIII.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Nidaria
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Apparently churches that are controlled by liberals and have replaced traditional values with liberal values are acceptable to liberals. Who would have known? :roll:
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic 25%
Secular/Fundamentalist 67%
Visionary/Reactionary 21%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian 6%
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%
Ecological/Anthropocentric 52%

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Nidaria wrote:Apparently churches that don't go out protesting gay soldier fuerals and pretending like science is a sin is acceptable to liberals. Who would have known? :roll:

Fixed.

Nidaria
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Nidaria wrote:Apparently churches that are liberal throughout are acceptable to liberals. Who would have known? :roll:

Fixed.

Insults detract from your argument. The Catholic Church supports science.
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic 25%
Secular/Fundamentalist 67%
Visionary/Reactionary 21%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian 6%
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%
Ecological/Anthropocentric 52%

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:
Fixed.

Insults detract from your argument. The Catholic Church supports science.

Not really. The Catholic Church only supports scientific theories that have been shown to be true beyond doubt so people won't continue to realize they still don't like science. They've essentialy been forced to support certain scientific theories.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:55 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Nidaria wrote:Insults detract from your argument. The Catholic Church supports science.

Not really. The Catholic Church only supports scientific theories that have been shown to be true beyond doubt so people won't continue to realize they still don't like science. They've essentialy been forced to support certain scientific theories.

They've been forced to do nothing. It was entirely of their own accord.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General