NATION

PASSWORD

Would you kill an intruder?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you kill an intruder?

Yes
56%
Id shoot him in a limb
26%
Id hide & wait till he leaves
5%
Other(plz explain)
12%

Total votes : 402

Hammurab
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:03 am

Bornisia wrote:That wasn't necessary, but if you were able to see the point I'm trying to make: I wish to join the marines, that is my decision. My parents accepted it. However, once my parents saw it was a serious and impending one (not sure why it wasn't in the first place) they quickly broke into factions and began preaching to me.

All I'm saying is don't revert back. My parents were proud of my decision, now the time has come and their telling me it's selfish to do this.

EDIT: Back on topic: Robberies turn nasty all the time, there is nothing wrong with defending yourself. The whole argument above is pointless, it's not being tough, it's being safe.

Actually, that's not all you said. You claimed all Marines sound like that previous poster. We've shown that they don't.

Because to them, it is about being tough, and making sure people on the internet know they're tough. Not all Marines sound like that.
"You can't be promising forever, George. Sooner or later, you must do something"

-The Libertine.

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:05 am

French Union wrote:
Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:Until someone just decides he's stronger than you.

No, it's better for everyone, in the long run, to respond with love. Sure, it might not end well for you personally, but isn't a better world for us all more important?

Respond with love? :rofl:

One's personal well being is the only thing that should matter to one.

Maybe he means some kind of Ancient Monastic Militant Order love where you love them by killing them so they can ascend to the 14th Level of Enlightenment while their body bleeds out onto your Dr. Who kitchen mat.
"You can't be promising forever, George. Sooner or later, you must do something"

-The Libertine.

Shadowlandistan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowlandistan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:06 am

Only if my life or my families life was in danger.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.54

You are an anarcho-collectivistic.

Cosmopolitan 43%- Nationalistic
Secular 104% -Fundamentalist
Visionary 72%- Reactionary
Anarchistic 76%- Authoritarian
Communistic 34%- Capitalistic
Pacifist 47%- Militaristic
Ecological 16%- Anthropocentric

Bornisia
Attaché

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bornisia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 am

Hammurab wrote:
Bornisia wrote:
That wasn't necessary, but if you were able to see the point I'm trying to make: I wish to join the marines, that is my decision. My parents accepted it. However, once my parents saw it was a serious and impending one (not sure why it wasn't in the first place) they quickly broke into factions and began preaching to me.

All I'm saying is don't revert back. My parents were proud of my decision, now the time has come and their telling me it's selfish to do this.

Dont' stick forks in your eyes or deliberately shit your pants at important public events.

Don't drive while intoxicated. Don't snatch the trigger.

Don't wipe your ass with your bare hand.

That's all I'm saying. Hopefully you're able to see the point I'm making.

I do, it's weird to think this decision will practically hand me over to them. It will be tough for everyone, in the end it also depends on what he is seeking job wise. (Which my father tells me I should never set my sights on and simply see where they think I should go) It's one of those rare jobs where decisions really make a difference.

Computer Land wrote:I am, by law, not given any authority to shoot him.

However, I am in a position to make a citizen arrest in this position, and I would. I would call the police. Then I would enter, inform him that I will interpret him raising his weapon as a threat, and order him to leave my home. If he refused to lower his weapon, I would deliberately injure him, taking it as a 'threat'. If he moved to leave; I'd have to let him, but I'd have every detail of his description ready for a cop. Hopefully he would be caught.

I'm not going to jail forever because I hastily shot someone, giving them legal ammunition to fry me.

I once made a citizens arrest...didn't work. (Then again the guy was an African Warlord (zing) ) You can shoot them, just dont kill them unless its becomes life or death. But it's a gun, it will probably do enough just wounding them. I'm sure everyone knows about the case we had here with that pharmacy robbery attempt...
Last edited by Bornisia on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Episarta wrote:Unfortunately we have no monsters in our nation (Unless you count my ex-wife. ZING!)

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:11 am

Bornisia wrote:
I do, it's weird to think this decision will practically hand me over to them. It will be tough for everyone, in the end it also depends on what he is seeking job wise. (Which my father tells me I should never set my sights on and simply see where they think I should go) It's one of those rare jobs where decisions really make a difference.

What also might help is you acknowledging that not all Marines sound the way you claimed they sound. They don't all sound like that previous poster, the way you claimed they did.

The fair thing to do would be to withdraw your "yes they do" comment from early in the thread. Its clearly incorrect.

-The Libertine.

JoeBob99
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby JoeBob99 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:13 am

As my father always told me "Shoot later and ask questions" There's no way I would let myself get harmed. I would harm someone else first, because obviously they are armed and expecting to fight back if it comes to it. Anyways, stealing is just as illegal in the real world as killing someone... So wouldn't that make it even?

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:14 am

Cromarty wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Funnily enough, being inside your house in England and brandishing a knife at people outside the house is a criminal offence.
We have castle laws? Impossibru.

Only England and Wales have partial castle laws and they are just that, partial. The moment a) the danger has averted or b) the force you use is beyond reasonable, any action you take is an offence.

They're still shit.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Ereria
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ereria » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:16 am

I always have my Iron bat under my bed. I would try to give a killing blow.
"Vatan savunmasında gereğinden fazla merhamet vatana ihanettir."
- Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

Kılıç kınından çıkmadıkça it sürüsü dağılmaz.

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:16 am

JoeBob99 wrote:As my father always told me "Shoot later and ask questions" There's no way I would let myself get harmed. I would harm someone else first, because obviously they are armed and expecting to fight back if it comes to it. Anyways, stealing is just as illegal in the real world as killing someone... So wouldn't that make it even?

Holy shit.

-The Libertine.

Bornisia
Attaché

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bornisia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:21 am

Hammurab wrote:
Bornisia wrote:That wasn't necessary, but if you were able to see the point I'm trying to make: I wish to join the marines, that is my decision. My parents accepted it. However, once my parents saw it was a serious and impending one (not sure why it wasn't in the first place) they quickly broke into factions and began preaching to me.

EDIT: Back on topic: Robberies turn nasty all the time, there is nothing wrong with defending yourself. The whole argument above is pointless, it's not being tough, it's being safe.

Actually, that's not all you said. You claimed all Marines sound like that previous poster. We've shown that they don't.

Because to them, it is about being tough, and making sure people on the internet know they're tough. Not all Marines sound like that.

No it's not about making people on the internet know their tough. It's about defending your country, liberating the oppressed, and being the best you can be. Most Marines...well all of them I know do sound like that. I do have a level of pride, but I was never one to boast (which is rare in my opinion). The marines pride themselves on tradition and what not. In the the previous post I was referring to simple pride, not the internet tough guy attitude to which I thought you were referring to. (There is plenty of internet tough guys who have never been around the armed forces)

EDIT: and to all NS'ers on this thread I take back the previous statement of simply shooting them, you could simply do that, assuming you do not have a more monitored atmosphere on guns.
Last edited by Bornisia on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Episarta wrote:Unfortunately we have no monsters in our nation (Unless you count my ex-wife. ZING!)

Penguinmark
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Penguinmark » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:22 am

I live in the UK. The downside is that I don't own a gun because the firearm laws are so strict. The upside is that criminals rarely do, either. I'd probably grab something like a breadknife, or even a chair. If I did have a gun, I would only shoot an armed intruder. If the intruder wasn't armed, I would maybe fire warning shots, but accost them until the police arrive.

A lot of people's attitudes towards this issue can be a bit...over the top. It is rare for the intruder to be a raging psychopath who wants to kill you. The normal motive among intruders is to break into your house, steal a laptop (or anything else that's valuable and portable) and get out without being seen. I would expect that the average intruder would rather be definately caught for burglary than commit murder and probably be caught. That is not to say it is wrong to attack an intruder but it's worthwhile thinking about what they're doing.
Last edited by Penguinmark on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Description: Cold Scandinavian-style welfare state with population of 22.3 million. Yes, you guessed it, it has penguins.
Species: 79% sentient penguins, 21% humans; Languages: 60% Danish, 40% Dutch

National Information
Constitution
Useful letters: ÅåÆæØø
RL Political views: Social liberal, Centrist, Eurosceptic, Civic nationalist

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:25 am

Bornisia wrote:No it's not about making people on the internet know their tough. It's about defending your country, liberating the oppressed, and being the best you can be.

That is a simplistic and likely very young interpretation, which you are free to cling to yourself but not force on all Marines.

Bornisia wrote: Most Marines...well all of them I know do sound like that.

That's very different than what you said. You said they all sound like that. Hopefully you'll meet more and have a less narrow view. Some sound like that. You said all. "All that I've met" is a different claim, and you should go back and edit.

BOrnisia wrote: I do have a level of pride, but I was never one to boast (which is rare in my opinion). The marines pride themselves on tradition and what not. In the the previous post I was referring to simple pride, not the internet tough guy attitude to which I thought you were referring to. (There is plenty of internet tough guys who have never been around the armed forces)

You continue to utterly miss the point of contention. I'm beginning to see there might not be a lot of opportunity for productive discourse.

-The Libertine.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:36 am

It is better to kill an intruder than to merely wound because a dead person can't file a lawsuit. So the only thing an intruder would get from me short of gunfire is a warning to leave immediately or else.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Secruss
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Semi-relevant.
"How now!" cried Jupiter "Are you not yet content? You have what you asked for and so you have only yourselves to blame for your misfortunes."

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:51 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Cromarty wrote:Only England and Wales have partial castle laws and they are just that, partial. The moment a) the danger has averted or b) the force you use is beyond reasonable, any action you take is an offence.

They're still shit.

Not really. They're perfectly reasonable.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:55 pm

Hammurab wrote:
Spiritwolf wrote:United States Marine Corps here............... 'nuff said.

Now I'm kind of less interested in hoping my boy will decide to join the Marines.

Do they all sound like you?

No, most of the Marines I've met have been nice and good people. Sometimes passionate, but I've never met one in real life that has said he would shoot an intruder in such a gruesome manner as Spiritwolf described. This is from the Marines I've met online (people like Dyakovo) and the ones I've met in RL.

In fact, Spiritwolf's attitude doesn't seem to be in line with the Marine ethos. The Marines are supposed to be marksman, but they aren't supposed to be gruesome. Marines also don't just shoot fellow Marines who refuse to take up arms, like Spiritwolf described.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Wack him with a cricket bat, or stab him with a knife.

Unless he surrenders, or something. Then he can just leave.

Also call the police.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Caninope wrote:
Hammurab wrote:
Now I'm kind of less interested in hoping my boy will decide to join the Marines.

Do they all sound like you?

No, most of the Marines I've met have been nice and good people. Sometimes passionate, but I've never met one in real life that has said he would shoot an intruder in such a gruesome manner as Spiritwolf described. This is from the Marines I've met online (people like Dyakovo) and the ones I've met in RL.

In fact, Spiritwolf's attitude doesn't seem to be in line with the Marine ethos. The Marines are supposed to be marksman, but they aren't supposed to be gruesome. Marines also don't just shoot fellow Marines who refuse to take up arms, like Spiritwolf described.

That's been my experience, too.

Just thought I'd see how far they'd try to sell this shit. One kid even later claims they all talk like that. Backpedaled later.

-The Libertine.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:Which is an immoral and barbaric principle.

No, its not.
It is my life, my property and my family. I should have full right to blow your brains out if you threaten any of them.

So if I break your salt shaker, you can put one between my eyes?
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Free South Califas wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:No, its not.
It is my life, my property and my family. I should have full right to blow your brains out if you threaten any of them.

So if I break your salt shaker, you can put one between my eyes?

Provided you broke into my house, yes?
As a reasonable person, would I do that? No but I would expect an apology for breaking it.

Something should be legal =/= Something must be done by individual.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Spiritwolf wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It's amazing how far you moved those goalposts all by yourself. The OP specifically says that the intruder in question is a thief, not a rapist.

Tell ya what Farnhamia.......... I will meet you half way here. YOU wait and see if the ARMED INTRUDER is gonna grab your goods or turn YOU into a BUTT MONKEY......... I'll just watch and munch popcorn on the couch while he does it, fair enough? You happy now?

Just to be clear, you're expressing a desire to watch Farnhamia be raped?
FSC Government

Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Indira
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Indira » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Shoot him if he doesn't surrender. Shooting to wound is for films and will probably get you killed. Of course, I don't have a gun so...

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:06 pm

Spiritwolf wrote:Tell ya what Farnhamia.......... I will meet you half way here. YOU wait and see if the ARMED INTRUDER is gonna grab your goods or turn YOU into a BUTT MONKEY......... I'll just watch and munch popcorn on the couch while he does it, fair enough? You happy now?

Just to be clear, you're expressing a desire to watch Farnhamia be raped?

Apparently that's how Marine's like to eat popcorn. At least this one.

-The Libertine.

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:
Spiritwolf wrote:I am enthusiastic about using lethal force on a threat

Which is a problem.

All violence is intrinsically immoral.

Quoted to remind debaters of the context in which this statement was originally made.
FSC Government

Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
Flag
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:16 pm

Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:
Which is a problem.

All violence is intrinsically immoral.

Quoted to remind debaters of the context in which this statement was originally made.

The context of such a definite statement matters little.

I'm inclined to disagree with it. I mean, if someone's coming at you with a knife/chair or your soft toys have told you it's what the unicorns would want, it would be ok to shoot the person in the foot or kick them in the balls.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General