NATION

PASSWORD

Would you kill an intruder?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you kill an intruder?

Yes
56%
Id shoot him in a limb
26%
Id hide & wait till he leaves
5%
Other(plz explain)
12%

Total votes : 402

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:12 am

Spiritwolf wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Why do you think SHOUTING adds to your argument?

The OP talks about a robber. You seem to think a rapist is the same. You're wrong. I would also submit that you and the others who would not even hesitate to dispatch an intruder are little more than internet tough guys who have never been in such a situation and so can't begin to know what they would or would not do. As we used to say when I was a kid, all loincloth, no aurochs.

United States Marine Corps here............... 'nuff said.

Uh huh. That attitude is a disgrace to the Corps.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Homosexy
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Homosexy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:13 am

Its hard until you're in a situation like that to say. However, if the person was a threat to me, or especially my family, I'd kill them. If its an option, though, I would call the police first. A woman was on the news a while ago who told the operator that she would try and wait for the police, but if he threatened her or her children, or if she felt even a bit more in danger, she was going to shoot him, and they gave her the go ahead under those circumstances.
Hii!! My name is Shellby. Yes, I am a girl. Yes, that is me in my flag. :)
There's only us. There's only this. Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other road, no other way. No day but today.
Love and expression, not hate and oppression!!~

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:14 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Spiritwolf wrote:United States Marine Corps here............... 'nuff said.

That attitude seems to be prevalent amongst marines.....if Jarhead and Full Metal Jacket are anything to go by. :D
Last edited by Genivaria on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:15 am

Genivaria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Uh huh. That attitude is a disgrace to the Corps.

That attitude seems to be prevalent amongst marines.....if Jarhead and FullMetalJacket are anything to go by. :D

I try not to judge people by what Hollywood thinks they're like.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:15 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:That attitude seems to be prevalent amongst marines.....if Jarhead and FullMetalJacket are anything to go by. :D

I try not to judge people by what Hollywood thinks they're like.

True.

Capitalist America
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Capitalist America » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:17 am

Due to the increased prices of ammunition, the intruder will not receive a warning shot.

So yeah, I would bust some caps on him.
I am a staunch supporter of Austrian Theory economics as defined by Ludwig von Mises, and I consider myself to be a libertarian and I support the Libertarian Party. Basically, I am a capitalist revolutionary.

Factbook (Under Construction)

Economic Left/Right: 6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.92
Everyone should watch this video
Proud American!.

Puppet of Libertarian California

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:19 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Cromarty wrote:Is a complex legal concept that varies in it's application.

Do not try to paint it as a single absolute standard thing, as it varies from state to state. Indeed, outside of the 40 or so US states that have castle/stand your ground laws (including Florida, and we all know how that ends), just England, Italy and Israel have partial castle laws.

Funnily enough, being inside your house in England and brandishing a knife at people outside the house is a criminal offence.
We have castle laws? Impossibru.

Only England and Wales have partial castle laws and they are just that, partial. The moment a) the danger has averted or b) the force you use is beyond reasonable, any action you take is an offence.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Hammurab
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:19 am

Farnhamia wrote:

I asked, because one time we were camping in the Colorado with my cousin Benny, who was* a Marine. Of course, being a bunch of little boys around an adult male, we started talking shit about what would happen if an intruder came and tried to "get" us.

Benny was armed, but he told us something. He told us in peacetime, you put out enough hurt to get the assailant to disengage. If that's means killing you kill, but if it can be done with less, use less. He said anybody who acts in peace time like its war time has forgotten what they're supposed to be protecting.

And then he got quiet and said, "Some of my guys got to used to the killing, and they're the ones that never really went home. Its not like in the movies."

And then he didn't talk for a while.

*Edit: I believe he's dead now, which is why I say "was".
Last edited by Hammurab on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't be promising forever, George. Sooner or later, you must do something"

-The Libertine.

Rubrum Natio
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubrum Natio » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:20 am

If they were armed, definitely. If they were unarmed and didn't pose a threat, I'd warn them or call the police. If they were unarmed and posed a threat, I'd injure them in any way possible but not enough to ill them.
1 Maximum readiness
2 War readiness
3 Medium readiness
4 Above normal readiness
5 Normal readiness

Current President: Erin Richard
Election date: March 2nd
Secretary of defense: Bob Snisherschwaegzersitzersnachzer

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:25 am

Hammurab wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Uh huh. That attitude is a disgrace to the Corps.

I asked, because one time we were camping in the Colorado with my cousin Benny, who was a Marine. Of course, being a bunch of little boys around an adult male, we started talking shit about what would happen if an intruder came and tried to "get" us.

Benny was armed, but he told us something. He told us in peacetime, you put out enough hurt to get the assailant to disengage. If that's means killing you kill, but if it can be done with less, use less. He said anybody who acts in peace time like its war time has forgotten what they're supposed to be protecting.

And then he got quiet and said, "Some of my guys got to used to the killing, and they're the ones that never really went home. Its not like in the movies."

I had a conversation in telegrams with Gallo on this thread last night and he felt much the same way. I told him about guys I knew who were in Vietnam and would not talk about it. Remember when "Saving Private Ryan" came out, and it was shown to a theatre full of D-Day vets? They were stunned not because it was so wonderful but because the opening sequence was so realistic it took them back to a place they never wanted to go to again.

Stuff like this always puts me in mind of Alice's Restaurant.

I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill, KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL."

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:32 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Hammurab wrote:
I asked, because one time we were camping in the Colorado with my cousin Benny, who was a Marine. Of course, being a bunch of little boys around an adult male, we started talking shit about what would happen if an intruder came and tried to "get" us.

I had a conversation in telegrams with Gallo on this thread last night and he felt much the same way. I told him about guys I knew who were in Vietnam and would not talk about it. Remember when "Saving Private Ryan" came out, and it was shown to a theatre full of D-Day vets? They were stunned not because it was so wonderful but because the opening sequence was so realistic it took them back to a place they never wanted to go to again.

I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill, KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL."

To clarify, I'm not saying killing another human being is always wrong. Sometimes, it is the best available decision of the ones presented.

I merely object to the cavalier nature of some posters implying they could kill and then go for burgers and probably do a little dance.

Killing someone is very traumatic, even if it was the right choice.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:34 am

Galloism wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I had a conversation in telegrams with Gallo on this thread last night and he felt much the same way. I told him about guys I knew who were in Vietnam and would not talk about it. Remember when "Saving Private Ryan" came out, and it was shown to a theatre full of D-Day vets? They were stunned not because it was so wonderful but because the opening sequence was so realistic it took them back to a place they never wanted to go to again.

To clarify, I'm not saying killing another human being is always wrong. Sometimes, it is the best available decision of the ones presented.

I merely object to the cavalier nature of some posters implying they could kill and then go for burgers and probably do a little dance.

I didn't want to go into detail about our conversation so I left it deliberately vague.

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:39 am

United States of PA wrote:
Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:There is no such thing.

Yes there is, if someone comes into my house for the express purpose of killing me (Lets face it, most burglars are unarmed except maybe a crowbar to get the window/door open, and bolt as soon as the alarm sounds or you show your head) and is armed to do so, i will kill him before he kills me. Thats the way of life. People die, some before others. Im not going to bend over and let him bash my head in or whatnot just to live up to the silly ideal of "Pacifism".

It's not about what the ideal itself; it's about the benefits for everyone if the ideal were to be put into practice.

Pacifism freed half a billion in India.

I used to think as you do, but then I got out in the real world and realized that a naive and fantasy-land viewpoint such as yours is not tenable.

I think you have things backward. You live in the fantasy world where violence should never happen, and that if it does you can solve it by holding hands and singing HALLELUJAH PRAISE THE LORD or whatever you say.

Being so obsessed with the ability to think that one is somehow better than others, that one continues to hold to the outdated and indefensible principle that individuals are somehow morally responsible for their transgressions, and that one's own immediate safety and security are more important than the greater good of all mankind, is indeed a naive and childish position to take.

One does not destroy hate via acts of hatred towards the haters.

No, but it sure does solve the immediate issue, and perhaps the foreseeable future of them. Since ya know, if someone dies because they broke into your house with a weapon, other folks will know not to go near you.

Until someone just decides he's stronger than you.

No, it's better for everyone, in the long run, to respond with love. Sure, it might not end well for you personally, but isn't a better world for us all more important?
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Eco-fascia
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Eco-fascia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:39 am

New Abooutland wrote:yeah. id say get your bloody backsides off my property you theiving chavs!

Thats the funniest comment :rofl:

Actually, until recently the law here had it that an intruder still had as many rights unwelcomed and inside your home as you did. If he broke in to your place and cut himself on the broken glass on his way in, he could sue you. This has changed recently because home invasions have changed from bored kids B&E'ing for kicks, to druggies looking for money, to sicko's forcing entry on aged people who end up being raped and killed for the sake of a few dollars and the car keys, or less.

That probably goes a long way as to why guns are outlawed, and will hopefully stay outlawed, in Australia. I think a lot of people would be turning them on to would be home invaders today. Seems to be a shit load of it going on >:(

I do not approve of guns in society, and would never own one. If however, I did have a gun, and I felt that I, or more poignantly my family, was threatened I think I probably would use it in a lethal manner. Simply because to turn a weapon onto someone and not use it to its full capacity invites the bastard to try again once he is out of rehab. Hence why I don't want one. If I had one, then the likelihood of someone else having one goes up, and the likelihood of them taking it along to the burglary, with it... and that worries me.

Bornisia
Attaché

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bornisia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:40 am

Hammurab wrote:

Now I'm kind of less interested in hoping my boy will decide to join the Marines.

Do they all sound like you?

Yes they do atleast all I know, and you should care about your boy's decision. But for gods sake dont try to make the final one. I realized how selfish my parents could be when this topic came up.

EDIT: And stop with the internet tough guy dung being thrown back and forth. If I want to hear one of you talk about how you think you can out smart one of the NS'ers on here by simply doing "x" to the intruder or dispatching the intruder by this plan, I'd like to hear it from someone who actually dealt with it. Otherwise post a detailed yes or no.
Last edited by Bornisia on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Episarta wrote:Unfortunately we have no monsters in our nation (Unless you count my ex-wife. ZING!)

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:41 am

Galloism wrote:To clarify, I'm not saying killing another human being is always wrong. Sometimes, it is the best available decision of the ones presented.

Gallo typed this eight feet from the cooling corpse of a deranged home invade who came at Nanatsu through the window with a Santoku and a fist full of condoms dipped in a proprietary hot pepper sauce stolen from a secret laboratory in El Paso Texas.

Don't worry, Gallo. You didn't kill him. It was the Ugnaut action figure up his nose and into his brain pan.

The coroner technically concurs.
"You can't be promising forever, George. Sooner or later, you must do something"

-The Libertine.

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:43 am

Bornisia wrote:
Hammurab wrote:
Now I'm kind of less interested in hoping my boy will decide to join the Marines.

Do they all sound like you?

Yes they do, and you should care about your boy's decision. But for gods sake dont try to make the final one. I realized how selfish my parents could be when this topic came up.

While I agree with letting him make the final decision (something anyone with basic reading comprehension would quickly grasp via the phrase "my boy will decide"), I really suspect not all Marines sound like internet tough guys. I just wanted to see if anyone would make the demonstrably false claim that they do.

My cousin Benny served in the Marines, and he had a very different view, illustrated above.

-The Libertine.

Meshara
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Meshara » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:47 am

Call of Duty has sucked the reality out of guns and baddies.

When it comes down to it, the call is a tough one. Personally, as soon as said person breaches/enters the home, I would consider that reasonable excuse to use force. Calling the police would be a secondary priority if I knew said intruder was already in the house.

If I had a gun, bludgeon, or any kind of weapon, I would take any open shot or opportunity I got. What people don't realize is that it takes an expert marksman with seasoned training with a firearm to "wound" or incapacitate someone. If you miss, the intruder might fire back and kill you. Why go for a small target like a hand or foot when you've got a very large chest presented in your cross hairs? It may be "cruel", but I don't remember the last time a home robbery was a humanitarian cause. Think about your life and the life of the people in you home. Is the robber's soul worth more than theirs to you?

Again, it is a tough decision, but taken in the context of the situation, I would not hesitate to use lethal force if an intruder decided to break into my home.

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:51 am

Meshara wrote:Call of Duty has sucked the reality out of guns and baddies.

When it comes down to it, the call is a tough one. Personally, as soon as said person breaches/enters the home, I would consider that reasonable excuse to use force. Calling the police would be a secondary priority if I knew said intruder was already in the house.

If I had a gun, bludgeon, or any kind of weapon, I would take any open shot or opportunity I got. What people don't realize is that it takes an expert marksman with seasoned training with a firearm to "wound" or incapacitate someone. If you miss, the intruder might fire back and kill you. Why go for a small target like a hand or foot when you've got a very large chest presented in your cross hairs? It may be "cruel", but I don't remember the last time a home robbery was a humanitarian cause. Think about your life and the life of the people in you home. Is the robber's soul worth more than theirs to you?

Again, it is a tough decision, but taken in the context of the situation, I would not hesitate to use lethal force if an intruder decided to break into my home.

I can consistently put a box of ammo through the same hole at any indoor engagement range that doesn't have jerseys hanging from the ceiling, but if the assailant had a weapon and showed intent to use it, I'd shoot for center mass. So in principle I agree with what you're saying, but from times when I've been confronted with violence outside my home, I think there is a spectrum of when its time to take up firing pressure.

-The Libertine.

Bornisia
Attaché

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bornisia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:52 am

Hammurab wrote:
Bornisia wrote:
Yes they do, and you should care about your boy's decision. But for gods sake dont try to make the final one. I realized how selfish my parents could be when this topic came up.

While I agree with letting him make the final decision (something anyone with basic reading comprehension would quickly grasp via the phrase "my boy will decide"), I really suspect not all Marines sound like internet tough guys. I just wanted to see if anyone would make the demonstrably false claim that they do.

My cousin Benny served in the Marines, and he had a very different view, illustrated above.

That wasn't necessary, but if you were able to see the point I'm trying to make: I wish to join the marines, that is my decision. My parents accepted it. However, once my parents saw it was a serious and impending one (not sure why it wasn't in the first place) they quickly broke into factions and began preaching to me.

All I'm saying is don't revert back. My parents were proud of my decision, now the time has come and their telling me it's selfish to do this.

EDIT: Back on topic: Robberies turn nasty all the time, there is nothing wrong with defending yourself. The whole argument above is pointless, it's not being tough, it's being safe.
Last edited by Bornisia on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Episarta wrote:Unfortunately we have no monsters in our nation (Unless you count my ex-wife. ZING!)

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:56 am

I'd empty the mag on him.

It's the only way to be sure.
Last edited by Grand Britannia on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:57 am

Bornisia wrote:
Hammurab wrote:

That wasn't necessary, but if you were able to see the point I'm trying to make: I wish to join the marines, that is my decision. My parents accepted it. However, once my parents saw it was a serious and impending one (not sure why it wasn't in the first place) they quickly broke into factions and began preaching to me.

All I'm saying is don't revert back. My parents were proud of my decision, now the time has come and their telling me it's selfish to do this.

Dont' stick forks in your eyes or deliberately shit your pants at important public events.

Don't drive while intoxicated. Don't snatch the trigger.

Don't wipe your ass with your bare hand.

That's all I'm saying. Hopefully you're able to see the point I'm making.

-The Libertine.

Computer Land
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Computer Land » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:58 am

I am, by law, not given any authority to shoot him.

However, I am in a position to make a citizen arrest in this position, and I would. I would call the police. Then I would enter, inform him that I will interpret him raising his weapon as a threat, and order him to leave my home. If he refused to lower his weapon, I would deliberately injure him, taking it as a 'threat'. If he moved to leave; I'd have to let him, but I'd have every detail of his description ready for a cop. Hopefully he would be caught.

I'm not going to jail forever because I hastily shot someone, giving them legal ammunition to fry me.

French Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby French Union » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:01 am

Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:Until someone just decides he's stronger than you.

No, it's better for everyone, in the long run, to respond with love. Sure, it might not end well for you personally, but isn't a better world for us all more important?

Respond with love? :rofl:

One's personal well being is the only thing that should matter to one.

Xirius
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Xirius » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:01 am

If it was legal I would booby trap my house and more expensive or important belongings with non-lethal spring guns.

If I had to personally confront him, I would prefer to use a non-lethal weapon, like a taser, followed by a dart gun with muscle relaxants and tying him up.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General