NATION

PASSWORD

Would you kill an intruder?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you kill an intruder?

Yes
56%
Id shoot him in a limb
26%
Id hide & wait till he leaves
5%
Other(plz explain)
12%

Total votes : 402

The Republic of Lerasia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lerasia » Wed May 30, 2012 6:09 am

The Republic of Lerasia wrote:
Tubbsalot wrote:Yeah, see, you're still not doing very well here. Firstly, you're running a little close to the rules about personal attacks (admittedly, I've made the same mistake). Secondly, you can't just act smug and expect to look cool - you have to actually have a point, or people are just going to dismiss you as being called out on your bullshit. In this case, it's readily apparent that you don't have any point, because - as mentioned - you've just misrepresented everything about me and pretended that was some hilarious indictment of my argument.

Third, if you're going to make a post that short, make sure you cut out any excess quotes above it - it makes the comment punchier and pithier, which is basically what you want.

Oh, and there it goes, the personal attack card. Where was that exactly?

You know what never mind. I have stuff to do and innocents to murder. Cheers lads have fun. Oh noez I'm quitting I guess that means that Tubbs "wins" and I "lose" noooooooo!!!

The Germania Alliance
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Germania Alliance » Wed May 30, 2012 6:12 am

He'd get a warning and the order to get on the ground. He may get a second warning a few seconds after, but if he doesn't comply, he's a dead man.
Salty Corporal in the Marine Corps.
God.Bless.America.
Alert Status: |Low| |Guarded| |Elevated| |High| |Severe|
Defcon: |5| |4| |3| |2| |1|

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Wed May 30, 2012 6:13 am

The Republic of Lerasia wrote:You know what never mind. I have stuff to do and innocents to murder. Cheers lads have fun. Oh noez I'm quitting I guess that means that Tubbs "wins" and I "lose" noooooooo!!!

:unsure: A remark that cuts at the heart of my soul, verily.

I am seriously trying to help you here - if you're not doing well, just give up trying to push the sarcasm. It only makes you look worse.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed May 30, 2012 6:13 am

The Germania Alliance wrote:He'd get a warning and the order to get on the ground. He may get a second warning a few seconds after, but if he doesn't comply, he's a dead man.

Yes, this is how it should be done.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

The Germania Alliance
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Germania Alliance » Wed May 30, 2012 6:20 am

Big Jim P wrote:
The Germania Alliance wrote:He'd get a warning and the order to get on the ground. He may get a second warning a few seconds after, but if he doesn't comply, he's a dead man.

Yes, this is how it should be done.

And should he run, I'm tackling him. :p You don't shoot a man with his back turned.
Salty Corporal in the Marine Corps.
God.Bless.America.
Alert Status: |Low| |Guarded| |Elevated| |High| |Severe|
Defcon: |5| |4| |3| |2| |1|

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed May 30, 2012 6:23 am

If I was forced to yes.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Wed May 30, 2012 8:18 am

Jetan wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:Shooting at a limb is goofily whimsical, and nonsensical. It would be less likely to disable them, and significantly more likely to miss.

That depends on where you aim. It's not very difficult to hit a thigh for example. Average person also drops from that, if not, just repeat the process for the other leg.

There is a major artery in the thigh, and if you shoot someone in the femoral artery they will bleed out really fast.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Wed May 30, 2012 8:35 am

greed and death wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
They can shoot far enough for the ranges you're likely to see in most houses (the effective range of a 1 ounce 12 gauge slug is 50+ yards).

What if I use a frag 12 ?

If you use Frag-12 against an intruder, I hope you've got some money in your budget for some house remodeling.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Wed May 30, 2012 8:38 am

I can only hope that I would not commit such a base and barbaric and cowardly action out of fear. Whether I would actually be strong enough not to is something I could only discover should I ever be in such a situation.
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Stedicules
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Stedicules » Wed May 30, 2012 8:41 am

I'd aim to wound them, then disarm them. I'd call the police and restrain the intruder, but I wouldn't kill them. I'd want them to live with their mistake for the rest of their life.
DOMINATED BY OBSESSION OF POWER AND LUST, LED BY UNWRITTEN RULES FROM CLINICAL BIRTH TO CLINICAL DEATH. ASK THE EPITHET OF GOD! IT STILL IS DECEPTION, NO IDEOLOGY, NO PROGRESS; NOTHING. THE WORLD IS SMOTHERED IN ABSURDITY.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Wed May 30, 2012 8:46 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:
Jetan wrote:
That depends on where you aim. It's not very difficult to hit a thigh for example. Average person also drops from that, if not, just repeat the process for the other leg.

There is a major artery in the thigh, and if you shoot someone in the femoral artery they will bleed out really fast.

True, but they still got much more time and better chances than if you just shot them in chest or stomach though. And if they are armed shooting them in the arm (pun not intentional) or shoulder might not disable them. Obviously you'd need to call ambulance right away, but yrah it's a difficult situation.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Wed May 30, 2012 8:59 am

I hope I would not kill, but I also hope I could convince him that I was ready and eager to.

A burglar broke into a retired lady's domicile. She stared at him sternly and said "Be careful! Acts 2:38!"
Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins

The intruder dropped his weapon and tools and surrendered!

The lady summoned the police and explained to them "I simply cited a Bible verse urging him to repent, and he did!"

But the burglar cursed "Dammit! I thought she said she had an axe and two .38s!"
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 am

Tagmatium wrote:Personally, I don't actually want to kill anyone.

Some here seem to be raring for an excuse. Almost makes me think they should bring a gun on their commute and squeeze off a few warning shots in rush hour, just so they don't lose it and start slaughtering people in their apartment complex for looking at them cock-eyed.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Wed May 30, 2012 9:08 am

Big Jim P wrote:From the self defense thread:

Big Jim P wrote:Everyone has the right to defend themselves, their property and their loved ones, against unprovoked attack. Anyone not willing to stand up and do so is unworthy of further consideration, let alone respect.

This includes using lethal force if required.

Well, aren't you a charmer. Everyone's gotta do it your way, huh? Individual freedom isn't good enough for you?
FSC Government

Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed May 30, 2012 9:10 am

Well, hopefully I never have to find out. But if I thought I or my friends/family were in danger? I'd hope I could do it and I'd likely end up aiming to kill. The chest is a much larger target than an arm or a leg, and it's also the target I practice shooting at the most, so I doubt I'd go for a wounding shot in a spur-of-the moment situation like that.

Edit: And no, I have no moral compunctions about doing so either.
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Wed May 30, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Wed May 30, 2012 9:10 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Tubbsalot wrote:threat·en/ˈTHretn/
Verb:
1. State one's intention to take hostile action against someone in retribution for something done or not done.
2. Express one's intention to harm or kill (someone): "the men threatened the customers with a handgun".

You've posted this before. The very act of breaking into someones home armed is an expression of intent to harm or kill.

That is a convenient take for someone who is looking for an excuse to blow someone away. Why not just kill them because you're a stone cold badass and you have the right to revoke anyone's life at any time? Why do you need to couch it in philosophical terms and get our approval for your execution plans?
FSC Government

Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
Flag
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed May 30, 2012 9:12 am

Free South Califas wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
You've posted this before. The very act of breaking into someones home armed is an expression of intent to harm or kill.

That is a convenient take for someone who is looking for an excuse to blow someone away. Why not just kill them because you're a stone cold badass and you have the right to revoke anyone's life at any time? Why do you need to couch it in philosophical terms and get our approval for your execution plans?

You honestly don't see the difference between shooting a random person and shooting a man who has broken into your home with a weapon?
:blink:
I'm General Patton.

Aleckandor
Minister

Founded: May 30, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aleckandor » Wed May 30, 2012 9:14 am

Assuming that I do actually grow up and live in a house of my own with a family, and at some point in the future, a hostile individual tries to invade my home's safety, I will do everything in my power to take away his ability to cause harm to my family and myself. A well-placed .357 round (or a magnum shell out of 10-gauge) could do the trick. Or just a simple bonk of the flashlight. But I would try to avoid killing them wherever possible, and would probably try to contact authorities to apprehend them after I've neutralized them (assuming I'm capable of doing so).
Last edited by Aleckandor on Wed May 30, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
♜♞♝ ~ THE GLOBAL SOVEREIGN CONFEDERACY OF ALECKANDOR ~ ♝♞♜
The IC demonym is "Aleckandorean(s)". Just call me Aleck.
"ANYBODY THAT SAID YOU WON'T EAT XMAS AND NEW YEAR RICE, LET THEM DIE BY FIRE!" - Based Ugandan (?) Chef

Confederate Constituencies | Ethnocultural Groups | Yerhvennian Continent Map | Diplomatic Relationships
RP Tech: MT/PMT | Total GDP: $354.6 Trillion | Population (2020): 24.7 Billion | Standing Military: 10.3 Million

San Marie
Lobbyist

Founded: May 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby San Marie » Wed May 30, 2012 9:14 am

Without hesitation or that remorse thing and I'd sleep fine afterwards.
The Grand Duchy of San Marie

By Luciella's Name

Presided by, Grand Duchess Angélica Flavia Adelina Consuela Gonzalez Matriarch of San Marie

Crown Colony of Estainia
MT

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Wed May 30, 2012 9:14 am

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
Free South Califas wrote:

You honestly don't see the difference between shooting a random person and shooting a man who has broken into your home with a weapon?

There isn't any.
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Vigilantes And Knights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vigilantes And Knights » Wed May 30, 2012 9:19 am

Depends on what his motivations were. If it was to rob me, I'd just get my stuff back and give him a hard hitting for good measure that he didn't try robbing me again.

If it were to rape a lady in the house, I'd give him a serious beating and crush his "tenders."

If it were to kidnap or murder one of us, like hell I'd kill him.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed May 30, 2012 9:19 am

Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:You honestly don't see the difference between shooting a random person and shooting a man who has broken into your home with a weapon?

There isn't any.

Let's play a game of spot-the-differences!

I dunnow about you, but I see a fair number of differences.
Guess I'm just a base and barbaric coward *shrug* Doesn't bother me much.
I'm General Patton.

Lemurian Islands
Attaché

Founded: Jun 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemurian Islands » Wed May 30, 2012 9:22 am

I'd warn them to drop their weapon while I call the police otherwise I'd shoot them. If they didn't comply and looked ready to attack, I'd shoot a limb, but I don't think I could shoot to kill (at least not on purpose).

United States of PA
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Wed May 30, 2012 9:25 am

shoot to kill
In other words, conservatives are generous with their own money, and liberals are generous with other peoples money.
"I object and take exception to everyone saying that Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money." ~ Unknown
"See, it doesn't matter how many people you have, how old your civilization is, or any such tripe. We're still the by-God US of A and we will seriously bitch slap you so hard your ancestors going back millenia will feel it if you piss us off."

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed May 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Jetan wrote:That depends on where you aim. It's not very difficult to hit a thigh for example. Average person also drops from that, if not, just repeat the process for the other leg.

Not really.

Shooting a torso is still easier than shooting a thigh, and I'll give you a couple reasons why. It's a larger target - that means that there is more surface to hit. It is a target that is less likely to move quickly - human limbs have a tendency of moving faster than the torso itself making the shot harder. Thirdly, the angle of shooting a torso is likely to be less, meaning you have less angular compensation to make up for - this isn't a huge deal, but in a life or death situation, perhaps it's best to go with the safest option.

Additionally, shooting someone in the torso is very likely to drop them. Just as much as shooting them in the leg, I'm sure. Additionally, it is more likely to be disabling than a thigh shot.

So yeah, center mass for the torso shot. It's an easier, and generally superior shot.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General