NATION

PASSWORD

Universal Love

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon May 28, 2012 4:21 am

Ashmoria wrote:only a fool strives for universal love for all people.

you do whatever you can for the people you love. if that is everyone you will be taken advantage of until you are destroyed.

Sadly it doesn't even have to be everyone. :(

AbH Belxjander Draconis Serechai
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby AbH Belxjander Draconis Serechai » Mon May 28, 2012 4:30 am

Xenoglade Plugins wrote:Inspired from the thread on attractiveness, I have a few questions for NSG which I myself am not sure of.

1. Is it acceptable to partition the world into "attractive and unattractive," "friends and enemies," or any other such grouping? Are these simply shallow and self-serving categories or are they perfectly permissible?

2. Should we really divide our love toward a small group of people or should we seek to foster a sense of universal love, feeling an unconditional love for all human beings, and perhaps all life in general?

3. Is such an attitude something that can be achieved in the first place.

I don't know, it just feels like "love" and both physical and emotional attractiveness are exclusionary behaviors. They seek to exclude others from a group, solely for entirely subjective reasons. Is this not the heart of discrimination, to exclude not for meritorious, but rather arbitrary reasons? I feel that we are either obligated to feel universal love, or that it may be preferable to the general welfare if we could foster such emotions.

1. It is acceptable to tag people for personal preferences with such labeling, but it is transitory,
S/He who is "unattractive" now may lose that label and have different labeling at the next encounter. It is simply a shorthand for dealing with people by tagging memories of them with such words.

2. There is more than one definition of "love" so various prefixes are used to denote which variation of this concept is in use during discussion, so it is quite possible to discuss multiple expressions of "love" without really being able to discuss the topic itself.

3. It is something that should be fostered however there is always the base dichotomies from choice of language, choice of behaviour, choice of ..., where there is a choice there is an inclusion/exclusion dichotomy present.

so while the basic feeling is a good premise... the language around it will remain difficult to express without being able to come up with some way of tagging it in an expressed form.

Previous

Return to General