NATION

PASSWORD

Universal Love

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Xenoglade Plugins
Envoy

Founded: Apr 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Universal Love

Postby Xenoglade Plugins » Sun May 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Inspired from the thread on attractiveness, I have a few questions for NSG which I myself am not sure of.

1. Is it acceptable to partition the world into "attractive and unattractive," "friends and enemies," or any other such grouping? Are these simply shallow and self-serving categories or are they perfectly permissible?

2. Should we really divide our love toward a small group of people or should we seek to foster a sense of universal love, feeling an unconditional love for all human beings, and perhaps all life in general?

3. Is such an attitude something that can be achieved in the first place.

I don't know, it just feels like "love" and both physical and emotional attractiveness are exclusionary behaviors. They seek to exclude others from a group, solely for entirely subjective reasons. Is this not the heart of discrimination, to exclude not for meritorious, but rather arbitrary reasons? I feel that we are either obligated to feel universal love, or that it may be preferable to the general welfare if we could foster such emotions.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun May 27, 2012 7:30 pm

only a fool strives for universal love for all people.

you do whatever you can for the people you love. if that is everyone you will be taken advantage of until you are destroyed.
whatever

Xenoglade Plugins
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Xenoglade Plugins » Sun May 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Ashmoria wrote:only a fool strives for universal love for all people.

you do whatever you can for the people you love. if that is everyone you will be taken advantage of until you are destroyed.

I'm arguing that love is a form of discrimination. You either love everyone or you love no one. I can't really see how any other state of affairs is free from discrimination of some kind.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun May 27, 2012 7:36 pm

Xenoglade Plugins wrote:

I'm arguing that love is a form of discrimination. You either love everyone or you love no one. I can't really see how any other state of affairs is free from discrimination of some kind.

Discrimination in general isn't bad. It's discrimination based on certain aspects that is bad.
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Sun May 27, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun May 27, 2012 7:38 pm

Xenoglade Plugins wrote:

there is nothing wrong with discriminating in favor of those you love.
whatever

Xenoglade Plugins
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Xenoglade Plugins » Sun May 27, 2012 7:40 pm

Ashmoria wrote:there is nothing wrong with discriminating in favor of those you love.

Isn't that nepotism?

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Sun May 27, 2012 7:40 pm

I like a lot of people, but I love only a few. I think it's not an exclusionary thing; I don't have the time or energy to get to know and love everyone.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Xenoglade Plugins
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Xenoglade Plugins » Sun May 27, 2012 7:41 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:Discrimination in general isn't bad. It's discrimination based on certain aspects that is bad.

Arbitrary discrimination is bad. This seems like arbitrary discrimination to me.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun May 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Xenoglade Plugins wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:Discrimination in general isn't bad. It's discrimination based on certain aspects that is bad.

Arbitrary discrimination is bad. This seems like arbitrary discrimination to me.

What's arbitrary about it?

Xenoglade Plugins
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Xenoglade Plugins » Sun May 27, 2012 7:43 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:I like a lot of people, but I love only a few. I think it's not an exclusionary thing; I don't have the time or energy to get to know and love everyone.

There seem to be some arguments that you can train yourself to feel unconditional love toward everyone, including those you've never met before. We would need to check to make sure that these arguments are scientifically legitimate, but, assuming that they are, I would suggest that it is a preferable path to take.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sun May 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Xenoglade Plugins wrote: I have a few questions for NSG which I myself am not sure of.

Yeah, right.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun May 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Universal love is a terrible idea, for the same reason world peace is a terrible idea: things would be fucking boring. The entire human race functions on the principle that we like some people more than others.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Caotic chaos
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Caotic chaos » Sun May 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Xenoglade Plugins wrote:Inspired from the thread on attractiveness, I have a few questions for NSG which I myself am not sure of.

1. Is it acceptable to partition the world into "attractive and unattractive," "friends and enemies," or any other such grouping? Are these simply shallow and self-serving categories or are they perfectly permissible?

2. Should we really divide our love toward a small group of people or should we seek to foster a sense of universal love, feeling an unconditional love for all human beings, and perhaps all life in general?

I don't know, it just feels like "love" and both physical and emotional attractiveness are exclusionary behaviors. They seek to exclude others from a group, solely for entirely subjective reasons. Is this not the heart of discrimination, to exclude not for meritorious, but rather arbitrary reasons? I feel that we are either obligated to feel universal love, or that it may be preferable to the general welfare if we could foster such emotions.

perhaps you should read martin luther kings letter from a birmingham jail.

Xenoglade Plugins
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Xenoglade Plugins » Sun May 27, 2012 7:47 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:What's arbitrary about it?

Love is rarely based on objective, justified reasoning and careful deliberation. It's more typically based on accidents of history and random neurological phenomena.

You love your parents because they're you're parents. You don't love them because a careful consideration of the facts convinced you that love was an appropriate disposition toward them.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sun May 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Astrolinium wrote:Universal love is a terrible idea, for the same reason world peace is a terrible idea: things would be fucking boring.

Not that I'm for this universal love bull crap, but world strife and discord don't exactly solve my boredom issues. I really hope that was a really poor choice of words.

Instead of universal love, how about universal cordiality?
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sun May 27, 2012 7:49 pm

all people are loved. but some people are more loved than others.

beep boop
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun May 27, 2012 7:54 pm

Xenoglade Plugins wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:What's arbitrary about it?

Love is rarely based on objective, justified reasoning and careful deliberation. It's more typically based on accidents of history and random neurological phenomena.

You love your parents because they're you're parents. You don't love them because a careful consideration of the facts convinced you that love was an appropriate disposition toward them.

I'm quite sure that if I didn't know my parents that I wouldn't love them. So their choice of not abandoning me but rather helping me out during the time when I grew up is certainly worthy of my love.

And while I do subscribe to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KynIKjRwqDI that it is likely that if I didn't find partner A, that I'd find partner A' I do not think the love will be based on arbitrary things. After all, if it is working out, it also means that she's making the choice to love me back. And be there for me when I need her (and vice versa). Surely that is worthy of my love?

Xenoglade Plugins
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Xenoglade Plugins » Sun May 27, 2012 7:59 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:I'm quite sure that if I didn't know my parents that I wouldn't love them. So their choice of not abandoning me but rather helping me out during the time when I grew up is certainly worthy of my love.

And while I do subscribe to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KynIKjRwqDI that it is likely that if I didn't find partner A, that I'd find partner A' I do not think the love will be based on arbitrary things. After all, if it is working out, it also means that she's making the choice to love me back. And be there for me when I need her (and vice versa). Surely that is worthy of my love?

But then A' is excluded from your love, simply because you happened to meet A by accident. It's random, and it's exclusive. Can anyone propose a system which is more compatible with egalitarian principles?

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun May 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Xenoglade Plugins wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'm quite sure that if I didn't know my parents that I wouldn't love them. So their choice of not abandoning me but rather helping me out during the time when I grew up is certainly worthy of my love.

But then A' is excluded from your love, simply because you happened to meet A by accident. It's random, and it's exclusive. Can anyone propose a system which is more compatible with egalitarian principles?

Yet both A', A and me wouldn't mind this. A and me because we're happy with each other. And A' because she cannot miss what she never had (my love), thus she would be blissfully ignorant :) So I fail to see the problem.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sun May 27, 2012 8:19 pm

Xenoglade Plugins wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:there is nothing wrong with discriminating in favor of those you love.

Isn't that nepotism?

It is nepotism when you do it in the public sphere.

That's why the hiring of friends and family, particularly in government, is frowned upon.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sun May 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Xenoglade Plugins wrote:Inspired from the thread on attractiveness, I have a few questions for NSG which I myself am not sure of.

#1, probably not. its something we've been conditioned to do, by those who exploit our doing it. that's love. as for eros and reproduction, there may be for some of us an aesthetic factor involved. fortunately aesthetic is an individual perception and varies widely.

#2 depends on filia, eros or agape. filia can and ought to be universal of course. selectivity in eros is a kind of natural eugenics. not that it always chooses wisely either.

#3 for both filia and agape, absolutely yes. as for eros, well its not like there's any shortage of human mating behavior as it is.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Sun May 27, 2012 10:45 pm

1. It may not be fair, but it is acceptable. Humans will judge and choose based on personal preference. The categories may be self serving, but they aren't shallow and they aren't just permissable, they're desirable. You may want to love all of humanity, but really, do you want to socialize with all of them, especially if you have nothing in common with them, may even dislike things about them - from something as trivial as hygiene to something as major as their being a mass murderer. Really, do you love Rick Santorum and the GOP? Do you love Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda? More to the point, can you?

2. Universal love is a nice myth. I prefer to consider universal regard or universal consideration. I may like, even love, an individual but that doesn't stop me from feeling a sense of responsibility vis-a-vis the rest of the human race.

3. Some people have achieved this universality of feeling - Mother Theresa for example, but this didn't require that she give up having personal and particular friendships and loves. (Well, ok, the Catholic Church does have some sort of rule about it but it's honored more in the breach than the observance).

You limit and harm people when you tell them they can't like one person or group more than another just as much as you do if you tell them they must ignore the good of the whole in favor of the good of a few.

Universal love as I understand it is rather bland and savorless. It's dull, amorphous and uninteresting. Paricular love for a person or a group is interesting and may actually indicate the potential to love on a greater level.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon May 28, 2012 12:26 am

I hate everyone. What do I win?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Mon May 28, 2012 2:24 am

We should definitely strive for it, but under the current world system, it will never happen. In order for that to happen politics would need to cease to exist in the form we know it today. To this end I have dedicated nearly all of my adult life and will continue to do so until I die. You can call someone an enemy all you want sitting behind your computer screen or in your office or studio in front of a camera but its not so easy when you can look into their eyes and see their humanity.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Terruana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terruana » Mon May 28, 2012 3:40 am

Personally I'd be a little creeped out if some random dude I'd never met before came up to me and told me he loved me...
Political Compass Score:
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General