NATION

PASSWORD

I Forget, Does Assassination Count as Terrorism?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

No true scotsman
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: I Forget, Does Assassination Count as Terrorism?

Postby No true scotsman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Skama wrote:
Kayellistan wrote:Basically the message becomes: if you dare do this, prepare for retribution.
Doesn't that make police terrorists or judges? :p

Maybe it matters if you're operating within the law?

Skama
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Skama » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:31 pm

I was just nitpicking. e.g: terrorism, which the word itself says nothing about law or not, so it's still terror, in a way :D
Last edited by Skama on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oratiana
Secretary

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Oratiana » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:31 pm

No true scotsman wrote:It's pretty much definitive 'terrorism', but I don't think the courts or the government are going to SAY that, because it's bad politics.

fbi's definition of terrorism: The unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a Government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.

based on this definition, the killer's intent is key in defining whether this is an act of terrorism. if this man confesses to trying to desuade people from getting an abortion, that's terrorism. if there is sufficient evidence that he was a member of an anti-abortion group, it could be considered terrorism. if he just hated the doctor, that's murder.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:43 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/01/abortion.dan.holman/

This is one of the most disgusting things I have ever read. Ever.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:46 pm

I am a very imperfect person.

There is a part of me that feels this was a very late term abortion.
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:48 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/01/abortion.dan.holman/

Holy shit. That's not just disgusting. It's terrifying.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:50 pm

You-Gi-Owe wrote:I am a very imperfect person.

There's a part of me that wants to ask, "And just what the fuck is that supposed to mean, eh?"

But the main part of me prevails, and it says that it's obvious enough what you mean that it lets me off the hook of ever paying attention to anything you ever say about anything ever again. What point is there in questioning a bark?
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )

Dempublicents1
Senator

Founded: Mar 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dempublicents1 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:22 pm

Free Soviets wrote:and there is a good case to be made that those who can't seem to make it to church regularly don't really take their religion seriously enough to be concerned with.

Not really.
"If I poke you with a needle, you feel pain. If I hit you repeatedly in the testicles with a brick, you feel pain. Ergo, the appropriate response to being vaccinated is to testicle-punch your doctor with a brick. It all makes perfect sense now!" -The Norwegian Blue

"In fact, the post was blended with four delicious flavors of sarcasm, then dipped in an insincerity sauce, breaded with mock seriousness, then deep fried in scalding, trans-fat-free-sarcasm oil." - Flameswroth

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:23 pm

I just heard Rachel Maddow say something germane to this topic:

Earlier this year, rightwing Republicans like John Boehner and Michelle Bachman blasted the Obama Homeland Security Department and called for HDS Secretary Janet Napolitano to be removed because she supposedly released a security report talking about the potential for rising danger from domestic rightwing extremist groups. The rightwingers who denounced Napolitano for releasing that report conveniently ignored the facts that the report had actually been commissioned by Bush and that it gave equal warnings against leftwing extremist groups.

But setting aside their hypocritical bullshit for a moment, the said report specifically mentioned potential increasing danger from extremist groups "focused on a single issue" such as abortion and "sovereign citizens" groups (i.e. separatists) such as a group called "The Freemen."

Maddow then stated that, according to released FBI information, the murderer of Dr. Tiller was known to have been associated with BOTH anti-abortion groups and The Freemen.

So, yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that assassination can indeed be terrorism and I will go so far as to say it can also be pretty clearly connected to terrorist groups.
Last edited by Muravyets on Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:29 pm

I second Murayvets.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:31 pm

Yes, because being pro-choice and doing what he trained to do obviously justifies being murdered. I love this train of thought.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:19 pm

Calvinsjoy wrote:
And, lest you forget, c. 40,000,000 deaths by abortion... but of course that's not important in the face of choice.

Actually, no it isn't important. Why does that matter? Is it an acceptable reason for murder? What if he stopped at 39999999?

Hey I know since you just his murder by the fact he murdered. We should murder his killer and then murder that killer and so on and so and so. After awhile the question of abortion is left the final murderer.

Why stop there? If I can use your logic, the fact you condone it; does that not make you target?

Here is what I really find odd about this thread. Where has there been any report that the killer was pro or anti anything?

Google is a neat tool; use it.

On what evidence are people deciding this had anything to do with abortion. It is the usual mindless lemmings being led about by the manipulative media trying to sell an ideology...

Again google is a neat tool; use it.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Hamilay
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamilay » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:46 pm

I think all abortion doctors should die and the guy who murdered Tiller is justified. But I don't advocate murder, no sir.

The cognitive dissonance hangs thick in the air. Is this shit even legal?

Heinleinites
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Heinleinites » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:33 pm

UNIverseVERSE wrote:You know, I'm not even going to bother. Welcome to my ignore list!

I wondered why my life had suddenly turned into a bleak, gray, morass reminiscent of a Igmnar Bergman film, and now I know. But, somehow, I expect I'll soldier on.

I figured the thread was already heavy with self-righteousness and moral grandstanding from both sides, along with long, dumb arguments about whether it was spelled 'foetus' or 'fetus', so I thought I'd go for the joke. Think of me as the illegal alien of comedy: I'll do the jokes that other people aren't willing to do.
You will never see a man who would kiss a wench or cut a throat as readily as I, but the wench must be willing, and the man must be standing up against me, else by God! either were safe enough from me." - Samkin Aylward The White Company

Heinleinite's First Rule of Comedy: "It doesn't matter if you don't think I'm funny, just so long as I think I'm funny."

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:33 pm

Hamilay wrote:

I think all abortion doctors should die and the guy who murdered Tiller is justified. But I don't advocate murder, no sir.

How is that not advocating murder? Are you seriously praying for fate to take your side and take out any doctors you don't like in Final Destination/Rube Goldberg style?

You may think you've weaseled out of not calling for murder with that thinly-veiled piece of shit you decided to post, but I'm here to tell you it's not gonna pass me without a challenge.
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:35 pm

Muravyets wrote:it gave equal warnings against leftwing extremist groups.

did it? that would be weird - all we've got is the ELF.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:41 pm

Free Soviets wrote:

Earth Liberation Front
Animal Liberation Front
Earth First!
The odd assortment of idiots who torch new home construction sites (some of the same people, most likely).
Fuckwads who vandalize Hummers (I'm against Hummers, but I'm against fuckwads and vandals much more adamantly).
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:

Earth Liberation Front
Animal Liberation Front
Earth First!
The odd assortment of idiots who torch new home construction sites (some of the same people, most likely).
Fuckwads who vandalize Hummers (I'm against Hummers, but I'm against fuckwads and vandals much more adamantly).

Are you against Visigoths and Huns as well?

Sorry, lame joke, i know.
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Ravea wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:did it? that would be weird - all we've got is the ELF.

Earth Liberation Front
Animal Liberation Front
Earth First!

Are you against Visigoths and Huns as well?

Sorry, lame joke, i know.

Far from lame -- I applaud anyone who knows that Vandals were people before their name was appropriated to name criminals.

:clap:

Their fan clubs do.

Hamilay
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hamilay » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:49 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Hamilay wrote:

How is that not advocating murder? Are you seriously praying for fate to take your side and take out any doctors you don't like in Final Destination/Rube Goldberg style?

You may think you've weaseled out of not calling for murder with that thinly-veiled piece of shit you decided to post, but I'm here to tell you it's not gonna pass me without a challenge.

Obvious sarcasm is obvious.

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:49 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Ravea wrote:
Intangelon wrote:Far from lame -- I applaud anyone who knows that Vandals were people before their name was appropriated to name criminals.

:clap:

I'm glad someone actually got the joke.
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:59 pm

Hamilay wrote:Obvious sarcasm is obvious.

No. No it isn't. You were being sarcastic? Where was the smiley? Listen carefully -- tone of voice is impossible to distinguish in text, okay? I thought the cognitive dissonance crack was some kind of mockery.

I apologize for reacting as though you were serious. Separate your satire from your admission of satire more effectively, please.

Their fan clubs do.

Hamilay
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hamilay » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:04 pm

Intangelon wrote:

No. No it isn't. You were being sarcastic? Where was the smiley? Listen carefully -- tone of voice is impossible to distinguish in text, okay? I thought the cognitive dissonance crack was some kind of mockery.

I apologize for reacting as though you were serious. Separate your satire from your admission of satire more effectively, please.

If you read the article you'll notice that I'm essentially paraphrasing the words of Holman and the 'is this shit even legal' comment should give you a clue that I don't support it...

I suppose that I've forgotten that with only 18 posts and the huge influx of trolls on the new forum it's difficult to make a distinction at times. No harm done.
Last edited by Hamilay on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:05 pm

Hamilay wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

If you read the article you'll notice that I'm essentially paraphrasing the words of Holman and the 'is this shit even legal' comment should give you a clue that I don't support it...

I suppose that I've forgotten that with only 18 posts and the huge influx of trolls on the new forum it's difficult to make a distinction at times. No harm done.

Fair enough.

Their fan clubs do.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:13 pm

refusing to kiss someone's a$$ counts as terrorism,
if someone as immature as those who came up with the label is doing the counting.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General