NATION

PASSWORD

When did you choose to be straight?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Fri May 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Straight From Above wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Ha-Satan is a messenger from God and He's Gone Rogue. Starring Helen Hunt as the Virgin Mary, James Franco as Joseph, Jim Caviezel as baby Jesus, and Rob Schneider as Ha-Satan in Ha-Satan I: A Messenger from Hell. A Michael Bay production.

...and a production assistant at Paramount composes a text to his boss..

...and the Seventh Seal is broken.

I'm going to be....livid if some asshole actually makes this and gives me no credit.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri May 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Doesn't sound that interesting...

So you would favor making a sequel?

OF course, it will gross big bucks, but the sequel should be even better. Add in a rival and a some massive explosions. Who should play the rival....?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Fri May 11, 2012 12:58 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
So you would favor making a sequel?

OF course, it will gross big bucks, but the sequel should be even better. Add in a rival and a some massive explosions. Who should play the rival....?

Hmm, somebody talented, somebody who got an Oscar, and yet can come relatively cheap *snaps fingers* Forest Whitaker.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri May 11, 2012 12:59 pm

Condunum wrote:I guess you could kinda go under the one in the middle and... I'll stop there.

We can't just have a-symmetric motorboating?

Or one set of cleavage, then the other?

Or maybe collaborate with a friend. Harmonize.

See if you can do "Dueling Motorboats" on the Mars mutant hooker's boobage.

I'm borderline OCD, so no, it can't be Asymmetrical for me. If I did, I'd have to do it in five sets of four times over the day. Over all, it'd be a good day.
password scrambled

Straight From Above
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Straight From Above » Fri May 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Condunum wrote:

I'm borderline OCD, so no, it can't be Asymmetrical for me. If I did, I'd have to do it in five sets of four times over the day. Over all, it'd be a good day.

Maybe she'd give you a volume discount.
David Williams wrote:But... Human rights is a load of bullshit.
Shouldn't we be giving aid to the countries who have good economic policy so they will actually grow (economically) instead of countries that spend way too much money on their bullshit "women's rights"?

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri May 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Condunum wrote:I'm borderline OCD, so no, it can't be Asymmetrical for me. If I did, I'd have to do it in five sets of four times over the day. Over all, it'd be a good day.

Or perhaps let me have the rest for free, on account of the Anxiety I get if my rituals don't follow a 5 of 4 pattern.
password scrambled

Artanili Datium
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Artanili Datium » Fri May 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Daistallia 2104 wrote:It's not a choice, and it's not a binary. I didn't choose it.

^that

Straight From Above
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Straight From Above » Fri May 11, 2012 1:27 pm

Condunum wrote:

Or perhaps let me have the rest for free, on account of the Anxiety I get if my rituals don't follow a 5 of 4 pattern.

Well, unless its a hardship for her, I think its a very reasonable accommodation.
Shouldn't we be giving aid to the countries who have good economic policy so they will actually grow (economically) instead of countries that spend way too much money on their bullshit "women's rights"?

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri May 11, 2012 2:06 pm

Condunum wrote:I guess you could kinda go under the one in the middle and... I'll stop there.

Another quote to be sigged! :rofl:
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Straight From Above
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Straight From Above » Fri May 11, 2012 2:14 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Another quote to be sigged! :rofl:

Maybe they'll include it in the remake.

Straight From Above
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Straight From Above » Fri May 11, 2012 3:36 pm

I know its not technically on topic, but there is a guy on the Colbert Report right now, who said he had a stroke and it turned him gay.

And now Colbert is saying strokes are a choice.

So its sort of on topic.

Safed
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Safed » Fri May 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Straight From Above wrote:I know its not technically on topic, but there is a guy on the Colbert Report right now, who said he had a stroke and it turned him gay.

So its sort of on topic.

There was a Welsh Guy on UK TV a few weeks ago saying the same thing, it may be the same guy, but I watched some of it, it was interesting. At the end of the day I wasn't sure if he actually "turned" gay or decided it was a good way to come out, but I think the former may be more likely.

Straight From Above
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Straight From Above » Fri May 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Safed wrote:
Straight From Above wrote:I know its not technically on topic, but there is a guy on the Colbert Report right now, who said he had a stroke and it turned him gay.

So its sort of on topic.

There was a Welsh Guy on UK TV a few weeks ago saying the same thing, it may be the same guy, but I watched some of it, it was interesting. At the end of the day I wasn't sure if he actually "turned" gay or decided it was a good way to come out, but I think the former may be more likely.

Yeah, he sounded like from that side of the pond.

Straight From Above
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Straight From Above » Fri May 11, 2012 5:46 pm

Katganistan wrote:It just kinda happened.

That's what you said when three members of Special Branch rappelled through the sky light of the Penthouse of that hotel in Hong Kong, with balaclavas and MP-5s, to find you and the enemy agent you were supposed to kill doing the lambada with four kilograms of soft caramel and an MP3 player full of Marvin Gaye.

Aluzky
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aluzky » Fri May 11, 2012 6:53 pm

I have an example that I use to explain people hat is not a choice.

I use food.

You can give some one an apple and a cheery, the person may have never taste those before. HE tastes the apple and things YUCK I don't like how this tastes, then taste the cherry and thinks "this taste is awesome" the person never chose what taste he likes or dislikes, his mind did it, his tongue did it, his body was programed to dislike apple and like cherry, he can't come the next day and taste an apple and chose to find it tasty, he will stink think it tastes like crap. What you find tasty is not a conscious choice, same goes for sexual orientations and sexual addons.

I use food as an example, because heterosexuals who don't have other orientation can't related to other sexual orientations, but if you use food as an example, that is something anyone can relate too and understand. :)

Feel free to use my example if you ever want to explain some one that it is not a choice.
♣ The more I know humans, the more I love my dog. ♣
R.I.P. 1000_Cats Deleted on 7/5/12 :(

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Fri May 11, 2012 7:01 pm

I chose to be straight when I realized that being all bendy hurt my back.

I get the feeling that is not what the OP title was talking about though.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Fri May 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Aluzky wrote:I have an example that I use to explain people hat is not a choice.

I use food.

You can give some one an apple and a cheery, the person may have never taste those before. HE tastes the apple and things YUCK I don't like how this tastes, then taste the cherry and thinks "this taste is awesome" the person never chose what taste he likes or dislikes, his mind did it, his tongue did it, his body was programed to dislike apple and like cherry, he can't come the next day and taste an apple and chose to find it tasty, he will stink think it tastes like crap. What you find tasty is not a conscious choice, same goes for sexual orientations and sexual addons.

I use food as an example, because heterosexuals who don't have other orientation can't related to other sexual orientations, but if you use food as an example, that is something anyone can relate too and understand. :)

Feel free to use my example if you ever want to explain some one that it is not a choice.

A similar one was devil's advocated because peoples' tastes do change. But in its non-iterated form, it is a great analogy.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Romatticus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romatticus » Sat May 12, 2012 5:39 am

Of course they all choose to be gay! What a wonderful lifestyle, being treated with disdain, looked down on by zealots and all the other homophobic crazies! I mean, I assume all gays are secretly straight, but choose to have sex with men (no matter how much they hate it) just to stick it to the Man. :palm:

Ok for realz though:

1) Sexual attraction is brought on by hormones. You can't decide what turns you on. Just as we all have our fetishes and turn-on, and you can only find out what you like by experimenting.

2) There are plenty of homosexuals. It would be irrational to believe that all of them actually choose to be with men whilst secretly wanting to be with women. I can't stand the thought of intercourse with a sweaty, hairy man. Why the hell would I subject myself to something I don't like? Homosexuals have relations with the same gender because they are attracted to them naturally.

3) If you understand that it is natural, but still object to it on religious grounds, how does that make sense? How can something be a sin if you are born with it? Are you supposed to deny yourself love, even if it hurts no one?
If you are not a liberal at 20, you have no heart. If you are not Conservative by 40, you have no brain. If at any point, you are not a moderate, you don't know enough about history.
Politics are like a tug of war. Opposing sides constantly pull back and forth, but no matter who wins, everyone gets dirty.
Newton's third law? It applies to history too. Everytime one group takes a radical action, an opposite but equally bad group makes a violent reaction.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=170946&start=650

Individual Impersonators
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Individual Impersonators » Sat May 12, 2012 8:53 am

When did you choose to be straight?

Good question. I know that I choose to sleep with women and emotions towards people can be changed over time due to educational/social circumstances.

For example, I do not believe anyone is born racist. But its not as if they wake up one day and they are racist. It takes a long period of education (or lack of it) and social circumstances to make a person racist.

Prehaps there is a long period of social circumstances that can make an individual gay.

No one starts off with a phobia as well. But at some point they may start becoming uncontrolably afraid of clowns, spiders or even long words.

For sexual preferences I doubt anyone starts off with a foot fetish as a child. There are some parts of the brain that are supposivly linked and over time a new sexual preference/fetish may go.

The Christian point of view is that sleeping with the same gender is wrong because there is still a choice there. If you are straight, you are not forced to sleep with radom women. As a choice though, I support it.

The feeling of homosexuality as such is not wrong, acting upon it is. Quite unreasonable to expect large numbers of people not to act upon an emotion but if I was going to go through all the double standards of relgion, my keyboard would break before I am finished.

Emotions and feelings are complex to say the least.
There is no simple answer.

I could not really care if someone is gay or not. I do not believe emotions are completely uncontrolable but on the same token I do believe there is a full choice.

Individual Impersonators
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Individual Impersonators » Sat May 12, 2012 8:56 am

Aluzky wrote:I have an example that I use to explain people hat is not a choice.

I use food.

Ever thought of aquired tastes? Most people do not like coffee, alcohol or cigarettes at first, but after a bit of practice things change.
Taste buds change over time and foods that one previously do not liked can eventually be liked. A decision on the day is not going to change the preference of food, but overtime one may accidentally change it.

Bordurian
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bordurian » Sat May 12, 2012 8:56 am

Never chose. God just made me this way.
Signed: Stefan III of Bordurian Grand Duke of Małapolska Duke of Bratislava Lord of Bohemia Baron of Zakopane, order of the Bear and of the Holy cross, His Holy Catholic Majesty Stefan III
Left -2.69
Authoritarian 3.45
[/floatleft]
Winners of the Free South Califas Roller Hockey Tournament
Participant in the 61st cup of Harmony,the 48th Baptisim of
Fire, the 19th Rugby Union world cup and World Cup 62
History, Geography, Reading, European
holidays, running, soccer, golf and Badminton

Retro Lyra
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 28, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Retro Lyra » Sat May 12, 2012 8:57 am

I wasn't aware I chose my sexuality.
The IC name is Rlyra.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Retro Lyra wrote:So, does this mean that since I'm white and my boyfriend is spanish he's going to rob all my money from me, scream "Hasta la vista!", and drive off into the sunset in a stolen car? Good to know.

Any time now, Lyra. Any time. Watch your car keys.

And your weed stash.

And your bedroom door. Chances are, he'll rape you first, the Genocidal Bastard.

Equestrian States wrote:Retro Lyra is actually an all-female corporation of puppet-manufacturers.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat May 12, 2012 9:18 am

Bordurian wrote:Never chose. God just made me this way.

Just as he made me bisexual.

Northern Dominus wrote:If they're going to strip away the civil rights of a minorty then they get no peace in my book.

Personally, I think we should draw directly from Dr. King's book on civil rights.

I.E., peaceful civil disobedience

Of course, it needs to be adapted for the LGBT rights movement.

Northern Dominus wrote:Bernice King calling for a constitutional ban on same-sex marraige doesn't really help either, plus sullies the work of her father.

Indeed, though her mother and older sister have the right idea.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Raeyh
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Raeyh » Sat May 12, 2012 9:24 am

Just as he made me bisexual.

If you are bisexual, you are capable of being straight as anyone else. I could understand people who don't find women attractive, such as homosexuals, but why wouldn't you chose a monogamous relationship with a woman?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General