NATION

PASSWORD

What the hell?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Sun May 13, 2012 2:27 pm

greed and death wrote:I have a modest proposal to solve hunger in the 3rd world as well.

We should take Swift action on that issue.
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

Dartala
Political Columnist

Founded: May 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dartala » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:43 am

http://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice-for-men/femitheist-divine-suicide/

Umm guys... I think she killed herself. I hope shes happier and in a better place now.
Last edited by Dartala on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:45 pm

Dartala wrote:http://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice-for-men/femitheist-divine-suicide/

Umm guys... I think she killed herself. I hope shes happier and in a better place now.

Read down to the comments. Evidently, she didn't kill herself, started posting around, got her real identity tracked down by people investigating the alleged suicide, and then quit again.

Now, that does put paid some questions and leave open others. For one thing, I can dig up all the comments from people here on NSG who seemed so sure that Femitheist was a man (and a middle aged man, at that), based on what I pointed out was pretty flimsy evidence, and claim vindication. The Poe's Law question is, I think, never really going to be really shut unless we see a lot more follow-up, which I am frankly not very interested in; the sort of shit that she was claiming in her persona as Femitheist was indeed the sort of shit that people will often insincerely disclaim if it gets tied to their RL identity.

Hatsunia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 26, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hatsunia » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Confirmed troll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRkxDB8uelQ

(look at the video description and click the first link)
Last edited by Hatsunia on Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatsunia | 初音国
The first sound of the future, the society of the future

MT/PMT (Cyberprep) | National Day: August 31 | Ignore NS stats/policies | More than an "anime meme nation" | Less waifu, more wi-fi
Wiki (complete) | Space (WIP) | Map | Capital | MEACU | Micronesia | Tropes | Anthem ♪ | Civ ♫ | Futuristic playlist ♬ | Why Japan needs upgrades

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:09 pm

greed and death wrote:I have a modest proposal to solve hunger in the 3rd world as well.

We shall take Swift action immediately.
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Hatsunia wrote:Confirmed troll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRkxDB8uelQ

(look at the video description and click the first link)

Confirmed 20 year old female. Confirmed dishonest attention-seeking person. Confirmed troll depends on your definition of "troll" and possibly some unknowns. Did she want attention? Yes. Does she sincerely hold seriously misandrist views? Not clear. Is she part of the Men's Rights Movement, to the degree that it can be described as a movement? Definitely not.

Which means:
Natapoc wrote:No idea. I don't think he was drunk/high or he would have made more spelling and grammar mistakes and he would not have continued the deception once he became sober.

The old man who wrote it probably either has a "castration fetish" (look it up(or don't)) or he is simply trying to make feminism look bad.

Either way everything about the text points to it being written by a male. Linguistic analysis can be wrong but in this case, and especially because of his choice to use gender masking words, he's trying to hide the fact that he's male (and probably an older male)

Natapoc wrote:Yeah because he is probably a "MRA" who is trying to make feminists look bad.

That Natapoc was seriously wrong on three counts.

1.) Not old. Femitheist was telling the truth about her age.
2.) Not a man. Femitheist was telling the truth about her gender.
3.) Not a MRA. She may have been presenting exaggerated views rather than her own actual views [jury's still out on that AFAIK], but all things considered, she spent most of her effort actively trying to troll the men's rights community rather than interacting with feminists, and cannot be considered a MRA by any reasonable means. Even her fake suicide seemed part of an effort targeted to troll MRAs.

Which, of course, means that I was right, and Natapoc was wrong. With good reason - Natapoc was ignoring a lot of good evidence and clinging to some very slender straws to try to salvage the notion that Femitheist was a false flag operation run by some secretive MRA as part of a conspiracy to make feminists look bad.
Last edited by Tahar Joblis on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:49 pm

i'm not female. i support the voluntary human extinction movement. spay and neuter your humans.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Cameroi wrote:i'm not female. i support the voluntary human extinction movement. spay and neuter your humans.

Alternatively become robots and drive everything else extinct. Reducing the biosphere to nothing.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Dartala wrote:http://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice-for-men/femitheist-divine-suicide/

Eww, that organization...

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:01 pm

Vareiln wrote:

Eww, that organization...

What about it? Do you have a problem with the idea that sexism can and has been targeted at men, and that anti-male sexism requires activism to address?

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:
Vareiln wrote:Eww, that organization...

What about it? Do you have a problem with the idea that sexism can and has been targeted at men, and that anti-male sexism requires activism to address?

No, and no. But that organization hardly does that. It preaches paranoia against women.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:35 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Tahar Joblis wrote:What about it? Do you have a problem with the idea that sexism can and has been targeted at men, and that anti-male sexism requires activism to address?

No, and no. But that organization hardly does that. It preaches paranoia against women.

Paranoia against women?

The website is currently being promoted with a poster that ends with:

You don't hate and fear women, do you?
No, because you're a decent human being.

You don't hate and fear men, do you?
Do you?

Men's rights are human rights.

Does the website contain some articles which caution men on specific and real pitfalls which they, as men, are in danger of facing - and make suggestions on how to avoid them? Yes. It's hardly surprising that a website which describes anti-male sexism [misandry] does so; but they aren't fabricating dangers, they aren't saying you should hate and fear women, and they aren't really giving you any cautions which are truly breaking new ground.

For example, you can find an article on AVFM (right through the front page) that suggests that you should document indirectly, in some fashion after the fact, that sexual activity was consensual, in order to avoid the potential for a false allegation of rape. Which, as we all should know at this point in time, can go quite far just on the word of the accuser, and is a non-trivial event if you do find yourself so accused. The article I found doesn't go as far as to recommend [or mention] sexual consent forms, which were very seriously being suggested the better part of a decade ago. The odds of getting hit with a false accusation are relatively low (I'd ballpark it at about 1 in 1,000 off the top of my head), making it a little like worrying about catching HIV in the US: It's a long shot, but a pretty nasty one if you get hit with it.

That same article links to a list of the reactions that you can expect to face if you take a position in favor of equal rights for men. Is that paranoid? No. Why?

I can say from observation here on NSG that it's quite accurate. I've even been accused on NSG of being a reactionary pro-life conservative [listed as "Code Brown" on that list] for pointing out legal inequalities in paternity law, in spite of my consistent-from-January-2003 history on NSG of being pro-life and a far-left liberal ["filthy commie hippie," some might describe me]. After that episode, there was even a poll conducted on NSG demonstrating that men in favor of allowing men to have control over the origination of paternal obligations [control over their own legal reproduction, aka "paper abortions"] are also in favor of abortion rights, and yet the accusations persisted.

I have looked over AVFM. There is little on that website which smacks of paranoia when you are reading carefully and know your facts. My experience is that people who discuss men's rights are very commonly misrepresented, and I expect that the review you've been given and believed is based on incomplete, out-of-context, and quite possibly fabricated representations.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General