NATION

PASSWORD

The American "Energy Voter"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

The American "Energy Voter"

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed May 09, 2012 7:12 am

Disclaimer: I am a Canadian (and proud, damn it).

Anyhow, I watch CNN time-to-time and I have been seeing a lot of ads with "average folks" (meaning actors), talking about how important it is to have domestic energy production of natural gas, oil and coal stepped up, to help the US economy, save jobs, blah blah blah. They claim that this coming round of elections is important (which it is), and that energy security is a very important thing to consider when voting - they call themselves in the ad, "energy voters"; e.g. "I'm so and so, and I'm an energy voter!"

Obviously, these ads are created by the energy producers of America who want to ingrain into people's minds that energy production should be an election issue, and that it should be at the forefront of people's minds when casting their votes, ideally in favour of pro-domestic energy candidates (I read that to mean Republicans, primarily).

So, my question is simple:

Do such voters exist really? Or are they primarily a sham, imaginary "bloc" of people made by big oil and gas et al. to try and convince people to not even bother thinking about the negative environmental impact that increased domestic production would likely have?

I for one laugh when I see these ads. I'd think less than 5% of the US voting public have domestic energy production at the forefront of their minds when voting, and that the so-called "energy voter" class of voters is next to non-existant, save for those in constituencies who have large portions of the population who say work in coal mining, or oil (and they tend to vote Republican all the time anyway). Who is big oil et al. trying to fool?

These ads are pretty pathetic, IMO, and to think that even some American voters would be swayed by such ads is frankly a bit disconcerting - but mind you, most things in US politics are pretty disconcerting already. :lol:
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Wed May 09, 2012 7:17 am

Astroturfing.

I have seen some Friends of Coal bumper stickers, but I think that's just because this is a coal town. I doubt they're connected.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed May 09, 2012 7:32 am

Khadgar wrote:Astroturfing.

I have seen some Friends of Coal bumper stickers, but I think that's just because this is a coal town. I doubt they're connected.

There may be a loose connection, but your definition of "astroturfing" fits the bill perfectly in this case.
Lancaster.

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Wed May 09, 2012 7:41 am

I suppose there's quite a lot of voters motivated by fuel prices and energy bills, and everyone from Miliband to Gingrich has played that card. But then, that's not exactly what these ads are saying.
Last edited by Angleter on Wed May 09, 2012 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed May 09, 2012 7:50 am

Angleter wrote:I suppose there's quite a lot of voters motivated by fuel prices and energy bills, and everyone from Miliband to Gingrich has played that card. But then, that's not exactly what these ads are saying.

Yes, many are, but those who actually believe that a Presidential/PM candidate can lower fuel prices substantially are naive at BEST. I remember seeing Gingrich doing speeches with a "$2.50 a gallon" sign in front of his podiums, and I believe Bachmann was preaching the same bullshit - and all you see in the crowds are people applauding and cheering when they made those ludicrous promises. Politics is so damn depressing at times...well, all the time.
Last edited by Lancaster of Wessex on Wed May 09, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lancaster.

Solar
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Solar » Wed May 09, 2012 9:54 am

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
Angleter wrote:I suppose there's quite a lot of voters motivated by fuel prices and energy bills, and everyone from Miliband to Gingrich has played that card. But then, that's not exactly what these ads are saying.

Yes, many are, but those who actually believe that a Presidential/PM candidate can lower fuel prices substantially are naive at BEST. I remember seeing Gingrich doing speeches with a "$2.50 a gallon" sign in front of his podiums, and I believe Bachmann was preaching the same bullshit - and all you see in the crowds are people applauding and cheering when they made those ludicrous promises. Politics is so damn depressing at times...well, all the time.

While those specific promises are BS, the fact remains that we grossly underutilize our energy resources to the detriment of our economy. Being Canadian you probably realize that energy is one of the most vital sectors of your economy, employs a large number of Canadians, and largely insulated Canada from the recession.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 69412.html

And the way it breaks down is in the US we desperately need jobs and revenue. Oil and gas provide both.
Nebraska has an unemployment rate of 4% (a very good number) compared to the nationwide number of 8.2% (an unacceptably terrible number). And the primary reason is the big energy companies like Exxon.
Big oil and gas are honestly the only people who can save us from a European like crisis at this point. So embracing them is not a bad idea.
His Imperial Highness Emperor Gregory I of Solar

Army 10,000,000 (Includes 4,000,000 Air Force)
Navy 5,000,000 (Includes 1,000,000 Marines)
National Guard 50,000,000 (Includes 10,000,000 Air National Guard)
Naval Reserve 2,000,000

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Wed May 09, 2012 9:57 am

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:Do such voters exist really? Or are they primarily a sham, imaginary "bloc" of people made by big oil and gas et al. to try and convince people to not even bother thinking about the negative environmental impact that increased domestic production would likely have?

over here the government is constantly screaming about renewable energy and the GREEN REINDUSTRIALIZATION but you're in america so yeah it'll probably be basically pumping gases directly into the lungs of young children who are probably ethnic minorities
Last edited by Souseiseki on Wed May 09, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Wed May 09, 2012 10:12 am

Whose side are they on? I suspect it's pro-republican, maybe Obama needs to mention that under him domestic drilling has only increased.

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Wed May 09, 2012 10:15 am

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:Disclaimer: I am a Canadian (and proud, damn it).

:hug:

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:Do such voters exist really?

Yes, just like there are people who vote based on what party cares more about animal welfare. The difference being that the production and refinement of energy resources, such as oil and gas, is important for a broader issue: The environment. That is a major political issue no matter where you are these days. That said, giving them a cutesy nickname and trying to make ads that downplay the destructive aspects of fossil fuels is sleazy as fuck.

EDIT:
Souseiseki wrote:but you're in america

Reading Comprehension Level: Elementary
Last edited by Hardened Pyrokinetics on Wed May 09, 2012 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Wed May 09, 2012 10:25 am

the only voters of that type who exist are those who are motivated by the price of gasoline.
whatever

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:

:hug:

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:Do such voters exist really?

Yes, just like there are people who vote based on what party cares more about animal welfare. The difference being that the production and refinement of energy resources, such as oil and gas, is important for a broader issue: The environment. That is a major political issue no matter where you are these days. That said, giving them a cutesy nickname and trying to make ads that downplay the destructive aspects of fossil fuels is sleazy as fuck.

EDIT:
Souseiseki wrote:but you're in america

The topic is named The American "Energy Voter" and refers to CNN and the U.S. voting public. If you're seriously incapable of understanding the various contexts in which the word "you're" can be used, feel free to jumble about the words in your head so that my post means the exact same thing and has the exact same point while questioning why you felt the need to make your EDIT. :hug:
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed May 09, 2012 11:16 am

It's a fake grass roots organization for advertizing by the coal industry. They are running a serious of stuff around that, clean coal, and job creation.

Even the oil industry is trying to convince people our prices will drop if we allow them to drill where ever they want in the US......
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Wed May 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Souseiseki wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote: :hug:

EDIT:

The topic is named The American "Energy Voter" and refers to CNN and the U.S. voting public. If you're seriously incapable of understanding the various contexts in which the word "you're" can be used, feel free to jumble about the words in your head so that my post means the exact same thing and has the exact same point while questioning why you felt the need to make your EDIT. :hug:

I made the edit because I enjoy pointing out others' mistakes. Boosts my ego.

Which you did make, because he said right at the top he's Canadian. We get CNN up here, and it's in our best interest to at least know what sort of political and social climate there is south of the border. Assuming he's American and lives in America just because he's watching CNN and commenting on American ads is like assuming someone is Russian just because they watch Russia Today.
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Wed May 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Angleter wrote:I suppose there's quite a lot of voters motivated by fuel prices and energy bills.

Not out of the context of general economic well-being.

This.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed May 09, 2012 2:29 pm

Well, I certainly feel that it should be an issue that receives more attention, but as is, no one gives two shits about energy.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General