NATION

PASSWORD

North Carolina Bans Same-Sex Marriage and Civil Unions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nidaria
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Wed May 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:
Nidaria wrote:I support this legislation one hundred percent. If every nation and region enacted this, we would be one step closer to world peace and harmony. I do pray that North Carolina stands firm against the liberal tide.

So you're not a Christian, and you hate America and the principles upon which it was founded.

Thanks for letting us know where you stand.

On the contrary, I am an Evangelical Roman Catholic (as opposed to a casual, cultural, or cafeteria Catholic) and support America and its principles (I do not wish it to fall into ruin).
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic 25%
Secular/Fundamentalist 67%
Visionary/Reactionary 21%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian 6%
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%
Ecological/Anthropocentric 52%

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Wed May 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Astrolinium wrote:But you probably took APUSH.

Yes, that was Herr Schafer's catchphrase whenever the Amerindians came up.
Last edited by United Dependencies on Wed May 09, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed May 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Terio wrote:Now we sit and wait for the protests.

Screw that, it's riot time. Break windows, turn over cars with amendment one bumper stickers and set them on fire, burn Billy Graham books in the middle of the street, and that's just the start.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Wed May 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Nidaria wrote:
So you're not a Christian, and you hate America and the principles upon which it was founded.

On the contrary, I am an Evangelical Roman Catholic (as opposed to a casual, cultural, or cafeteria Catholic)

Which is not Christian.

and support America and its principles (I do not wish it to fall into ruin).

Your comments regarding the recent unpleasantness in North Carolina clearly demonstrate otherwise.
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Hammurab
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Wed May 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:I know, blue on blue and feathers are just SO unfashonable now. And green or tan camo? Ick.

What we need are bold bright patterns!

I need to call my gay stylist friend Martin, he'll know how to whip up a fab uniform for all!

Sitting sidesaddle in a Shelby blue uniform and a feather based on something somebody saw in a Gaga video, we still won't look more ridiculous than the people who think gays are evil.
Last edited by Hammurab on Wed May 09, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't be promising forever, George. Sooner or later, you must do something"

-The Libertine.

Archliva
Attaché

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Archliva » Wed May 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Nidaria wrote:

On the contrary, I am an Evangelical Roman Catholic (as opposed to a casual, cultural, or cafeteria Catholic) and support America and its principles (I do not wish it to fall into ruin).

That's nice, but we let the constitution do the talking in America not the Bible.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed May 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Hammurab wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:I know, blue on blue and feathers are just SO unfashonable now. And green or tan camo? Ick.

What we need are bold bright patterns!

I need to call my gay stylist friend Martin, he'll know how to whip up a fab uniform for all!

Sitting sidesaddle in a Shelby blue uniform and a feather based on something somebody saw in a Gaga video, we still won't look more ridiculous than the people who think gays are evil.

...I thought were going to ride big hairy sweaty men in BSDM gear when we ride into battle?
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here

Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Nidaria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Wed May 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Nidaria wrote:On the contrary, I am an Evangelical Roman Catholic (as opposed to a casual, cultural, or cafeteria Catholic)

Which is not Christian.

and support America and its principles (I do not wish it to fall into ruin).

Your comments regarding the recent unpleasantness in North Carolina clearly demonstrate otherwise.

We are the original Christianity. All other denominations separated from us. And how is firmly supporting a just law unpleasant and contrary to American principles?
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%

The Jahistic Unified Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jahistic Unified Republic » Wed May 09, 2012 2:51 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Jahistic Unified Republic wrote:If the People of North Carolina don't like it, they can call for a referendum. No need for Government intervention.

This already was "Government intervention." The NC government put the measure on the ballot. I don't see why, since they had already passed a law saying that marriage was only between one man and one woman.

I mean Federal government intervention, my bad.

<Koyro> (Democratic Koyro) NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
The Emerald Dawn wrote:"Considering Officer Krupke was patently idiotic to charge these young men in the first place, we're dropping the charges in the interest of not wasting any more of the Judiciary's time with farcical charges brought by officers who require more training on basic legal principles."

Baseball is Best Sport. Life long StL Fan.

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Wed May 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:Which is not Christian.

We are the original Christianity. All other denominations separated from us.

Not gonna get into that one right now, except to say that the Eastern Orthodox might strongly disagree with you, and the various non-Trinitarian sects were never "part of you" in the first place.

And how is firmly supporting a just law unpleasant and contrary to American principles?

It's not a just law. It's a reactionary, anti-American, anti-freedom law.
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed May 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Nidaria wrote:

We are the original Christianity. All other denominations separated from us. And how is firmly supporting a just law unpleasant and contrary to American principles?

Fine, we'll go with it. Only if you also agree that to counter-balance Amendment one North Carolina adopts another amendment stating that all Roman Catholics are hereby barred from voting in any election.

Fair enough?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed May 09, 2012 2:54 pm

Nidaria wrote:

It isn't just if the law singles out a specific group of people and tells them that they cannot do something that other people can do, especially when that something involves a certain favored status from the state.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Nidaria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Wed May 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Nidaria wrote:We are the original Christianity. All other denominations separated from us. And how is firmly supporting a just law unpleasant and contrary to American principles?

Fine, we'll go with it. Only if you also agree that to counter-balance Amendment one North Carolina adopts another amendment stating that all Roman Catholics are hereby barred from voting in any election.

Fair enough?

I disagree. The first amendment of the Constitution grants religious freedom, not sexual freedom.
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Wed May 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:Question to the North Carolinians here:

Did this amendment kill all child custody arrangements between unmarried couples? For that matter, since divorcees are no longer bound by marriage, did it kill all post-marital custody arrangements as well?

My understanding is that there's some fear that in nuking all gay relationships, N.C. effectively eliminated all non-marital straight ones as well: Custody, child support, paternity, and maybe even alimony in the bargain.

It remains to be seen how that will play out in the courts.

I think realistically, the amendment will be construed narrowly in NC courts, in which case the only thing it really changes is that it becomes harder to change NC law to provide recognition for civil unions or gay marriage, and it "proofs" the [already existing, folks, just like in most of the country] laws barring gay marriage from challenges based on the state constitution.

For those of you engaged in hyperbole, I'd like to remind you that this makes North Carolina the 30-somethingth state to pass a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, and that this is the status quo in most of the country. The fact that North Carolina has passed this amendment is disappointing, but nothing special; and as I pointed out, it happens to have done so largely on the strength of ignorance of the fact that the amendment bans civil unions from being recognized, combined with the narrower pool of voters participating in the primary [vs general] election.

So cool your jets. North Carolina is not behaving particularly different from the rest of the country.

Gay marriage is illegal in over 40 states - including California, where I currently live. Proposition 8 may have been overturned, but any actual change on the ground is waiting for an en banc review of the 9th circuit case, followed [likely] by subsequent appeal to the Supreme Court.

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Wed May 09, 2012 2:56 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Fine, we'll go with it. Only if you also agree that to counter-balance Amendment one North Carolina adopts another amendment stating that all Roman Catholics are hereby barred from voting in any election.

Fair enough?

I disagree. The first amendment of the Constitution grants religious freedom, not sexual freedom.

Which means those who aren't part of your religion aren't bound by your religion's rules, and your religion doesn't get to make rules that everyone else has to abide by.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Wed May 09, 2012 2:56 pm

Nidaria wrote:

Equal rights, pardner.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed May 09, 2012 2:56 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Fine, we'll go with it. Only if you also agree that to counter-balance Amendment one North Carolina adopts another amendment stating that all Roman Catholics are hereby barred from voting in any election.

Fair enough?

And show me the amendment where marriage is explicitly defined exactly.

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Wed May 09, 2012 2:57 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Hammurab wrote:
But if we all sit down here and do nothing all together, they might think we're the protest.

Especially if any of us are in Greensboro.

Heeheheheehe....

Stop making me giggle. A happy demeanor was once described as "being gay", so my youth pastor says we shouldn't laugh anymore or Jesus will think we're butt plumbers.
"You can't be promising forever, George. Sooner or later, you must do something"

-The Libertine.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed May 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Nidaria wrote:

Fair enough?

And the fourteenth grants equal protection.

Hammurab wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Heeheheheehe....

Stop making me giggle. A happy demeanor was once described as "being gay", so my youth pastor says we shouldn't laugh anymore or Jesus will think we're butt plumbers.

Well, he was a carpenter, so it can't be that bad.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed May 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Hammurab wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Heeheheheehe....

Considering Jesus hung around with a pack of men the entire time, this is doubly hilarious.

Hallistar
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallistar » Wed May 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Nidaria wrote:

World peace and harmony? Funny how you allow your 'beliefs' to enable you supporting the denial of other human beings' freedoms.

How is America going to fall into ruin again? Is it because of those evil liberals that want to make the world a better place?

Or is it because God/Jesus is going to have us tortured for all eternity for daring to be human?
Last edited by Hallistar on Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Wed May 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:Question to the North Carolinians here:

Did this amendment kill all child custody arrangements between unmarried couples? For that matter, since divorcees are no longer bound by marriage, did it kill all post-marital custody arrangements as well?

My understanding is that there's some fear that in nuking all gay relationships, N.C. effectively eliminated all non-marital straight ones as well: Custody, child support, paternity, and maybe even alimony in the bargain.

It remains to be seen how that will play out in the courts.

I think realistically, the amendment will be construed narrowly in NC courts, in which case the only thing it really changes is that it becomes harder to change NC law to provide recognition for civil unions or gay marriage, and it "proofs" the [already existing, folks, just like in most of the country] laws barring gay marriage from challenges based on the state constitution.

For those of you engaged in hyperbole, I'd like to remind you that this makes North Carolina the 30-somethingth state to pass a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, and that this is the status quo in most of the country. The fact that North Carolina has passed this amendment is disappointing, but nothing special; and as I pointed out, it happens to have done so largely on the strength of ignorance of the fact that the amendment bans civil unions from being recognized, combined with the narrower pool of voters participating in the primary [vs general] election.

So cool your jets. North Carolina is not behaving particularly different from the rest of the country.

Gay marriage is illegal in over 40 states - including California, where I currently live. Proposition 8 may have been overturned, but any actual change on the ground is waiting for an en banc review of the 9th circuit case, followed [likely] by subsequent appeal to the Supreme Court.

Yeah, but see, the other states all did it sheepishly, like they didn't really mean it. Like a junior varsity kid might use the word "faggot" in front of his Dad a few minutes after his Dad uses it.

But North Carolina, they were all Southern and blatant about it, driving in circles around the capital building, shouting "No'mo Homo!" and "John Waters is a sub-par film maker surviving on the adulation of a loyal band of other jizz monkeys!"

So, screw them.

-The Libertine.

Nidaria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Wed May 09, 2012 3:04 pm

Hallistar wrote:
Nidaria wrote:On the contrary, I am an Evangelical Roman Catholic (as opposed to a casual, cultural, or cafeteria Catholic) and support America and its principles (I do not wish it to fall into ruin).

World peace and harmony? Funny how you allow your 'beliefs' to enable you supporting the denial of other human beings' freedoms.

How is America going to fall into ruin again? Is it because of those evil liberals that want to make the world a better place?

I see what you mean. I should no longer forbid robbing stores and killing other people because it goes against the Ten Commandments.

They probably think they are doing good. However, the West has gone into a noticeably decline since it enacted more liberal legislation in the twentieth century. I do not think this is a coincidence.
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%

Archliva
Attaché

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Archliva » Wed May 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Hallistar wrote:

I see what you mean. I should no longer forbid robbing stores and killing other people because it goes against the Ten Commandments.

They probably think they are doing good. However, the West has gone into a noticeably decline since it enacted more liberal legislation in the twentieth century. I do not think this is a coincidence.

Neat, correlation equals causation fallacy

Hallistar
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallistar » Wed May 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Nidaria wrote:

How is it a just law?

Marriage is the secular and legal combination of economic and legal assets and a formal declaration of partnership intimately. Its only religion that goes out of its way to make it all holy. Its why the church can hold special ceremonies all it wants, but its the state that makes it legally binding. For the record, marriage existed before christianity.

Sunnis are the original Islam, how does that prove anything?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General