NATION

PASSWORD

North Carolina Bans Same-Sex Marriage and Civil Unions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed May 09, 2012 2:26 pm

Alyekra wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:For anyone who thinks that the banning of same-sex marraige, that discrimination against LGBT HUMAN BEINGS is somehow justifiable, click the link below.

Watch it, take in the story. Then look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself it's ok. If you can then you are a monster, period. This is the toll of Amendment One and legislation like it. This is what you are doing to fellow humans with emotions, needs and wants by being short-sighted and as monstrous as possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR9gyloyOjM

Amendment one does not discriminate against LGBT, they still have the same rights as everyone else.

Bullshit.
Banning marraige for certain human beings means denying them the benefits that other couples enjoy. Hospital visitation, death benefits, tax benefits, these and other rights and legal benefits that marraige provides are denied to LGBT human beings.

Plus it's a blatant slap in the face. The amendment basically states that North Carolina doesn't recognize the fact that LGBT people love and care for another in the same way that everyone else does. It denies them that bit of humanity.
This is no different than racist laws restricting interracial marriage in the 1960s.

Your failure to recognize Amendment One as such is shameful.

So no, wrong, Amendment one is bigoted, prejudicial, and strips away rights for a certain specific group of people.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Hallistar
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallistar » Wed May 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:It was banned prior to the passage of this legislation, yet this is an ammendment to their constitution banning the practice.

And 29 states have done this. I think it's clear that most Americans:

(1) Believe that civil marriage should be a union between one man and one woman;

(2) Believe that state courts should not substitute their own beliefs for the will of the people.

Oh really? (1) http://www.gallup.com/poll/154529/Half- ... riage.aspx

(2) Since marriage is the combination of economic and interpersonal assets and a declaration of commitment between two individuals into a legal relationship (and has been that way in non-christian countries and before christianity was introduced), I don't see how this is the beliefs of the state court only.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Wed May 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Alyekra wrote:
Amendment one does not discriminate against LGBT, they still have the same rights as everyone else.

Bullshit.
Banning marraige for certain human beings means denying them the benefits that other couples enjoy. Hospital visitation, death benefits, tax benefits, these and other rights and legal benefits that marraige provides are denied to LGBT human beings.

Plus it's a blatant slap in the face. The amendment basically states that North Carolina doesn't recognize the fact that LGBT people love and care for another in the same way that everyone else does. It denies them that bit of humanity.
This is no different than racist laws restricting interracial marriage in the 1960s.

So no, wrong, Amendment one is bigoted, prejudicial, and strips away rights for a certain specific group of people.

No no, you miss the point! It isn't discrimination if you support it!
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Wed May 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:I'm guessing you're not going to get a response.

Doesn't matter, I could probably guess what it would be anyway.

I'd think of some sort of joke imitating what it would be but I think it would make me lose my lunch. And I want to keep that.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed May 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Doesn't matter, I could probably guess what it would be anyway.

I'd think of some sort of joke imitating what it would be but I think it would make me lose my lunch. And I want to keep that.

Oh? What did you have? I had a so-so frozen thing, because I forgot to take the spaghetti and bolognese I made last night. I need to get more sleep.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Yuktova
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuktova » Wed May 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:It was banned prior to the passage of this legislation, yet this is an ammendment to their constitution banning the practice.

And 29 states have done this. I think it's clear that most Americans:

(1) Believe that civil marriage should be a union between one man and one woman;

(2) Believe that state courts should not substitute their own beliefs for the will of the people.

The will of the people can go fuck themselves if that's what they truly believe.
Also, I want some sauce for the claims you're making.

Technocratic Cybernated systems FTW.
I'm Morrissey... Nice to meet you.
Goldsaver said: This is murder, not a romantic date!

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Wed May 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:I'd think of some sort of joke imitating what it would be but I think it would make me lose my lunch. And I want to keep that.

Oh? What did you have? I had a so-so frozen thing, because I forgot to take the spaghetti and bolognese I made last night. I need to get more sleep.

Kind of ashamed but I had a hot pocket.
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Wed May 09, 2012 2:34 pm

What was that? I can't hear you.

Say that again just a little louder.
Last edited by United Dependencies on Wed May 09, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Hammurab
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Wed May 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:Banning marraige for certain human beings means denying them the benefits that other couples enjoy. Hospital visitation, death benefits, tax benefits, these and other rights and legal benefits that marraige provides are denied to LGBT human beings.

Oh, nonsense.

This law is no worse for gay people than the Bachmann Doctrine of herding them into camps and gassing them, or the Santorum policy that they be biologically reclassified as coyotes so they can be hunted with only a valid small game license and a picture of Ted Nugent in your pocket.

Gays should just calm down and realize we pass laws on them for their own good.

Just like we did with the Native Americans...
"You can't be promising forever, George. Sooner or later, you must do something"

-The Libertine.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed May 09, 2012 2:34 pm

SaintB wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Bullshit.

No no, you miss the point! It isn't discrimination if you support it!

Oh right, how silly of me.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here

Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Wed May 09, 2012 2:35 pm

United Dependencies wrote:What was that? I can't hear you.

Say that again just a little louder.

hot pocket
Also, me.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Wed May 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Hammurab wrote:Oh, nonsense.

This law is no worse for gay people than the Bachmann Doctrine of herding them into camps and gassing them, or the Santorum policy that they be biologically reclassified as coyotes so they can be hunted with only a valid small game license and a picture of Ted Nugent in your pocket.

As my history books told me: we "subdued" the native Americans.

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed May 09, 2012 2:38 pm

United Dependencies wrote:

Oh yes, because it's just silly to object to some jerk on a big horse waving a cavalry saber that tells you to move "Or else". Why would you POSSIBLY want to take up arms and resist that after all?

Terio
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Terio » Wed May 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Now we sit and wait for the protests.
Economic Left/Right: -2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.51
Capital City: Terio City
Official Languages: Latin
Ethnic Groups: 92% Terion, 8% Other
Demonym: Terion
Government: Constitutional Republic
-President Anglo Escova
-Prime Minister Abdul Avisa
Literacy Rate: 94%
Per Capita GNP: 25,350 USD

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Wed May 09, 2012 2:41 pm

Exactly. Now we're subduing the gays. Next we'll heard them into small densely packed pieces land, on the coasts and away from the God Fearing center of the country. A few of their leaders will be accidentally bayonetted in transit, of course, but that's just statistically unavoidable.
"You can't be promising forever, George. Sooner or later, you must do something"

-The Libertine.

Nidaria
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Wed May 09, 2012 2:41 pm

I support this legislation one hundred percent. If every nation and region enacted this, we would be one step closer to world peace and harmony. I do pray that North Carolina stands firm against the liberal tide.
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic 25%
Secular/Fundamentalist 67%
Visionary/Reactionary 21%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian 6%
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%
Ecological/Anthropocentric 52%

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Wed May 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Nidaria wrote:I support this legislation one hundred percent. If every nation and region enacted this, we would be one step closer to world peace and harmony. I do pray that North Carolina stands firm against the liberal tide.

Deprive rights; for PEACE!
Also, me.

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Wed May 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Nidaria wrote:I support this legislation one hundred percent. If every nation and region enacted this, we would be one step closer to world peace and harmony. I do pray that North Carolina stands firm against the liberal tide.

So you're not a Christian, and you hate America and the principles upon which it was founded.

Thanks for letting us know where you stand.
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Wed May 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:As my history books told me: we "subdued" the native Americans.

Oh yes, because it's just silly to object to some jerk on a big horse waving a cavalry saber that tells you to move "Or else". Why would you POSSIBLY want to take up arms and resist that after all?

Okay, this is just a suggestion. Not putting anything in stone here. Just my two cents:

Before we kill at the gay people by riding them down on horseback cavalry uniforms and glinting steel blades...

....can we have them design the uniforms?

If I'm going to wear a cavalry uniform, I want to look good.

-The Libertine.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed May 09, 2012 2:44 pm

The regular book just gives the impression that we totally made it up to them and everything's fine and dandy now even if we messed up in the past.
But you probably took APUSH.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Wed May 09, 2012 2:45 pm

Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:

So you're not a Christian, and you hate America and the principles upon which it was founded.

Thanks for letting us know where you stand.

Right on. I strongly suspect Christ attended quite a few gay weddings. They were constantly running out of wine, after all...

-The Libertine.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed May 09, 2012 2:45 pm

Hammurab wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Oh yes, because it's just silly to object to some jerk on a big horse waving a cavalry saber that tells you to move "Or else". Why would you POSSIBLY want to take up arms and resist that after all?

Okay, this is just a suggestion. Not putting anything in stone here. Just my two cents:

Before we kill at the gay people by riding them down on horseback cavalry uniforms and glinting steel blades...

....can we have them design the uniforms?

If I'm going to wear a cavalry uniform, I want to look good.

I know, blue on blue and feathers are just SO unfashonable now. And green or tan camo? Ick.

What we need are bold bright patterns!

I need to call my gay stylist friend Martin, he'll know how to whip up a fab uniform for all!

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Wed May 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Hammurab wrote:Exactly. Now we're subduing the gays. Next we'll heard them into small densely packed pieces land, on the coasts and away from the God Fearing center of the country. A few of their leaders will be accidentally bayonetted in transit, of course, but that's just statistically unavoidable.

I hope it's the north east, because my family is sitting on some valuable east coast land, and I'd hate for anything to happen to the property values.

Hammurab
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Wed May 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Terio wrote:Now we sit and wait for the protests.

But if we all sit down here and do nothing all together, they might think we're the protest.

-The Libertine.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed May 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Hammurab wrote:
Terio wrote:Now we sit and wait for the protests.

But if we all sit down here and do nothing all together, they might think we're the protest.

Especially if any of us are in Greensboro.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General