NATION

PASSWORD

Rape Thread [SAFE SPACE - Mod Enforced]

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:43 pm

Homosexy wrote:Gotta go back to Fairfield shortly.

This is gonna end well... >__>

if you don't mind... I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :)
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

The Republique Dardania and Gazmania
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republique Dardania and Gazmania » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:46 am

Katganistan wrote:I've signed, sigged it here and shared it on Facebook.

As did I.
Hopefully more people from Facebook will sign.

Stay strong ...and good luck.

The UEG-Space Command
Minister

Founded: Jan 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The UEG-Space Command » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:51 am

Stay brave, hope everything is going well so far.
"For too many years, humanity was on the backfoot. Reacting to threats, rather than preventing them. Rest of the galaxy was bigger than us. Stronger than us. We were mice, hiding in the shadows, hoping the giants would not see us. No more. Humanity is no longer on the defense. We are the giants now."

"It is an undeniable and may I say fundamental quality of man, that when faced with extinction, every alternative is preferable."
—Leonard Church

"You ever wonder why we're here?"

Insignificance
Secretary

Founded: Nov 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Insignificance » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:19 am

Why were my posts deleted? I wasn't trolling Shellby. I was sticking up for her. :(

I can't remember exactly what I said, but I know it ended with me saying that I hoped your D.A. saw sense. That is one post of mine that has been deleted, and I am sure there are others. :?: Why though? They were supporting Shellby by using logic to take down that troller. I don't see why they were deleted. If they weren't deleted, could someone please show me where they are as I cannot see them.

Aww... I wish you well for that. You're a strong woman. I'm here to support you. Stay strong, as I know you are. :hug: My name is Adrian by the way, Shellby. :)
Last edited by Insignificance on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Galborg
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galborg » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:09 am

Yaltabaoth wrote:

All the best of luck honey.

Good luck, Shellby.
The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is you can never be sure if they are real. - Mark Twain

Creative Vikings
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Creative Vikings » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:58 am

What's the relevance of Fairfield in the USA?
We have one here, it's a Primary School in the larger town, Levin, south off the hill and cross the banks.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:59 am

Homosexy wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I don't believe that I've said that rapists should be set on fire, or fed to animals, or even executed. I believe I said imprisonment.
Maybe we both got testier than we needed to.

The setting on fire was me. *raises hand* :)

"I love the burning flesh in the morning...

Smells like..."

"Justice"

"YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAH"

If anything here offended anyone or broke the rules, I'm sorry x.x
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Reploid Productions wrote:
Freelanderness wrote:I am just slightly curious, how do you define rape and sexual assault differently?

Well, the definition I go from (which likely may differ from the the legal one) is that rape is sexual assault + vaginal or anal penetration (whether it's a woman being penetrated, or a guy being forced to do the penetrating,) while sexual assault is basically all other forms of unwanted/forced sexual play such as genital stroking, oral (though I think oral probably should be counted under rape,) fondling of breasts, buttocks, or the genitals, and so on.

Hmmm. Seems everyone will have a different separation between those two terms. To me, sexual assault is an umbrella term for rape and molestation (both of which have pretty clear definitions). It's a "take as will" for those types of things.

But to get back to your original point, Rep, there should be more of a focus on "Did she say yes whilst able to do so?" as that does seem to be lost in the whole teaching about what constitutes rape. Consent, in the legal context, means a lot more than "agreement", as the dictionary confers; it does extend itself to the degree of understanding. If someone doesn't fully understand the situation, then they aren't in a place to consent, thereby voiding any concept of agreement. Similarly, if they understand the situation, but have not provided explicitly (note the usage) the consent required for the act to continue, then...well, I think we have completely discussed that.

Additionally, though, we do need to promote a more open dialogue for victims of sexual assault. It has been stated earlier (I think by Shellby) that a lot of victims do not come forward, because they feel frightened or intimidated; they also do not come forward because they feel they may be telling on someone who care for them. I remember reading somewhere that the majority of sexual assaults are committed by someone familiar to the victim, and they do not come forward because either the abuser has intimidated them or they feel bad about "dobbing" on the abuser.

However, if that occurs, we also need to make sure they are familiar with the serious nature of a claim of sexual assault, and the flow-on effects that precipitate from such a claim. (Yes, I know, it seems like I'm blowing my entire debate out of the water; believe me, I'm trying not to.) Some people—the more malicious, obviously—may use a claim of sexual assault to cause emotional harm to people (i.e. damage their career, marriage, reputation, life), even though the actual act did not occur, or was precipitated by a physical influence not the alleged assailant's (especially of the victim's doing).

(BTW, I did find some stats, courtesy of RAINN: 2/3 of assaults are committed by someone known to the victim, more than half of which are friends or acquaintances. But we have to remember as well that these statistics may be understated, because of the low likelihood of a sexual assault being reported to, well, anyone.)

Galborg
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galborg » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:21 pm

Some people—the more malicious, obviously—may use a claim of sexual assault to cause emotional harm to people (i.e. damage their career, marriage, reputation, life), even though the actual act did not occur, or was precipitated by a physical influence not the alleged assailant's (especially of the victim's doing).

(BTW, I did find some stats, courtesy of RAINN:

Do you have stats of how often malicious false accusations occur?

She said "Yes" at the time and now she is pretending that she said "No" at the time. is a valid defence.

I do not have the stats, but I guess the Barrington defence is more frequent: She was wearing clothes = she was asking for it., or She was walking in the street = she was asking for it. or She was sitting in her house = she was asking for it. or He bent over to pick up the soap = he was asking for it.
The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is you can never be sure if they are real. - Mark Twain

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Creative Vikings wrote:What's the relevance of Fairfield in the USA?
We have one here, it's a Primary School in the larger town, Levin, south off the hill and cross the banks.

that's where she was attacked.

http://justiceforjanedoe.com/
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:41 pm

I've come across this thread relatively late and haven't been able to comment until now from being distracted by real life and for that, I apologize.

I wish Shellby a full recovery from this horrendous ordeal and I will definitely be signing her petition to try to help in her pursuit of justice. Best of luck to her. But I do not understand why the DA wouldn't prosecute the case if there is enough evidence to convict. It should definitely go forward regardless of how many signatures, if that is the situation.

EDIT: I finished signing the petition, I was the 600th person to sign. The only reason why my signature isn't public is because Change.org's privacy policy stated that my physical address would be exposed for all to see, if I consented to displaying my signature publicly; and I can't risk that when I am not the owner and only live there.
Last edited by Saiwania on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:00 am

Galborg wrote:Do you have stats of how often malicious false accusations occur?

She said "Yes" at the time and now she is pretending that she said "No" at the time. is a valid defence.

I do not have the stats, but I guess the Barrington defence is more frequent: She was wearing clothes = she was asking for it., or She was walking in the street = she was asking for it. or She was sitting in her house = she was asking for it. or He bent over to pick up the soap = he was asking for it.

There aren't that many statistics out there, at least that I could find. One site has stated that 8-12% of state prisoners in the U.S. are wrongfully convicted. That's in general, mind you, and not specifically sexual assault cases. Wikipedia has stated that about 8-9% of rape claims are false. (Sadly, they also note the great disparity between the results from the various pieces of research conducted.)

There are, however, dictated cases where false claims of rape and molestation have resulted in equally wrongful misdirected retribution. The site "Truth and Justice Denied" details a case on their Wrongful Conviction Statistics page about a father who was accused of molesting his children (he's currently serving an 85-year sentence for the crime he didn't commit). Then there is the New York teacher who was removed from her position a few weeks ago after she was seduced by a student as part of a schoolyard bet. (Okay, yes, a little bit of the blame could be linked towards her, but take into consideration: if you put someone under enough pressure, and they can do anything just to make it stop, even, sadly, what you want them to do.)

It's a sad thing that while sexual assault claims are treated by some with all seriousness, others tend to treat it like it is a weapon or a joke, and it doesn't just harm those accused; it can also make those who are truly attacked less likely to come forward, because their chances of being believed and properly retributed are lowered.

Creative Vikings
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Creative Vikings » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Well, as a fellow 'rapee' I wouldn't mind signing that petition. Though being in NZ has it's disadvantages, right?

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:45 am

Tothia wrote:Even if we do spread the word about males raping other males, I doubt much people would care. Even the FBI say that men can't be victims of rape. There are so many things I want to change in America.
I've got some good news for you.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

SinepBS
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 13, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby SinepBS » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:07 am

The Republique Dardania and Gazmania wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I've signed, sigged it here and shared it on Facebook.

As did I.

Unsure if posting the names of literally everyone involved - directly or indirectly - is a wise decision.

Yaltabaoth
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaltabaoth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:56 am

Creative Vikings wrote:Well, as a fellow 'rapee' I wouldn't mind signing that petition. Though being in NZ has it's disadvantages, right?

I don't know if a non-US citizen would be counted for the White House petition, but there's no reason you can't sign the first one to the DA. I'm in Australia and I've signed it.
Every signature generates an email to the DA and the Mayor, so you can still help.
(The link's in my sig)

Creative Vikings
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Creative Vikings » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Yaltabaoth wrote:
Creative Vikings wrote:Well, as a fellow 'rapee' I wouldn't mind signing that petition. Though being in NZ has it's disadvantages, right?

I don't know if a non-US citizen would be counted for the White House petition, but there's no reason you can't sign the first one to the DA. I'm in Australia and I've signed it.
Every signature generates an email to the DA and the Mayor, so you can still help.
(The link's in my sig)

Which number is it?

The Republique Dardania and Gazmania
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republique Dardania and Gazmania » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:59 pm

SinepBS wrote:
The Republique Dardania and Gazmania wrote:As did I.

Unsure if posting the names of literally everyone involved - directly or indirectly - is a wise decision.

No one did.

Yaltabaoth
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaltabaoth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Creative Vikings wrote:
Yaltabaoth wrote:
(The link's in my sig)

Which number is it?

There are two petitions, the first is to the DA + Mayor, the second is to the White House.
They're both clearly labelled, it's a pretty simple site - just click the link to the main page, and there's a big "Sign petition" button on the right under Shellby's photo.
Each petition then has its own page where you enter your details, and there's a check box for "Display my signature publicly" which you can deselect if you don't want your name displayed.

Creative Vikings
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Creative Vikings » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Yaltabaoth wrote:
Creative Vikings wrote:Which number is it?

There are two petitions, the first is to the DA + Mayor, the second is to the White House.
They're both clearly labelled, it's a pretty simple site - just click the link to the main page, and there's a big "Sign petition" button on the right under Shellby's photo.
Each petition then has its own page where you enter your details, and there's a check box for "Display my signature publicly" which you can deselect if you don't want your name displayed.

And it will count despite my citizenship?

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:25 am

Creative Vikings wrote:
Yaltabaoth wrote:There are two petitions, the first is to the DA + Mayor, the second is to the White House.
And it will count despite my citizenship?
Yes, since unlike the White House petition, Change.org is non-governmental.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

SinepBS
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 13, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby SinepBS » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:42 am

The Republique Dardania and Gazmania wrote:
SinepBS wrote:

No one did.

Er, check the petition site.

Genomita
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Genomita » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:00 am

First of all I'd like to apologize for not responding to this thread earlier. I can only imagine how painful and terrifying it must've been for you, but I'm sure that the bastard who did this to you won't be able to avoid capture for long. I really wish I could do more to heal your wounds, mental and physical, than offering kind words but unfortunately there's little more that I can do.
I use 80BF00 for native Genomitan,4040BF for Standard and BF80000 for Skav

Homosexy
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Homosexy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:45 pm

I love you guys.

Just sayin
Hii!! My name is Shellby. Yes, I am a girl. Yes, that is me in my flag. :)
There's only us. There's only this. Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other road, no other way. No day but today.
Love and expression, not hate and oppression!!~

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Homosexy wrote:I love you guys.

Just sayin

:hug:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads