NATION

PASSWORD

What US state could function as a country?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Wed May 02, 2012 11:19 pm

Texas.

Aleprennia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aleprennia » Wed May 02, 2012 11:23 pm

California, Texas, Florida, New York, New England (but that would be several states)
Last edited by Aleprennia on Wed May 02, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Königreich Aleprennia - Kingdom of Aleprennia
“Himmelskönigin, beschütze uns!”

I am: Christian, British, Centrist, Monarchist.

Marketalia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Marketalia » Thu May 03, 2012 12:12 am

Taking all factors into account, Texas, most likely. California might have a shot, but is too dysfunctional and is shedding jobs like a cat sheds hair.

Ameridesia
Lobbyist

Founded: May 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ameridesia » Thu May 03, 2012 12:19 am

Texas and California.
I am an advocate of reason and common sense

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 am

Vassel wrote:In the US,which state could be economicly successful as its own country?Economiclly,I think Tennessee for 3 reasons:
1]large amounts of coal
2]t people have a keen interest in politics
3]Just to follow the rules
I tried to add a poll,but there are too many states for a poll.

Uh... no. There are only 3 states that could be their own countries are:

#1 New York (largely due to media and financial interests)
#2 California (largley due to the amount of money the state makes every year)
#3 Texas (Oil....)
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu May 03, 2012 12:27 am

Shrekodude wrote:Alaska: they pretty much are their own country, the Eskimo Express takes years to get news to them so they basically run themselves without the national government interfering. I heard Sarah Palin is the only Alaskan to have a telephone.

Just kidding, no offense to any Alaskans.

Dude, there's no Alaskans on the internet. ;)
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

The Scandinvans
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scandinvans » Thu May 03, 2012 12:28 am

New England and The Maritimes wrote:They're just as "communist" today as they were at any point in the last 200 years. Every economy relied in large part upon communist organizational structures until around the 19th century, when the millennia-old communal farms were forcibly taken by the respective states and meted out to aristocrats-turned-crony capitalists.
Actually you speak from a perspective which seems to disregard the basic principle that in feudal societies the land was owned, well in theory held if they were vassals, by the nobles whom benefited from the labor of serfs and other peasants. In return for the right to work the land and protection they gave a portion of their harvest to their lord.
We are the Glorious Empire of the Scandinvans. Surrender or be destroyed. Your civilization has ended, your time is over. Your people will be assimilated into our Empire. Your technological distinctiveness shall be added to our own. Your culture shall be supplanted by our own. And your lands will be made into our lands.

"For five thousand years has our Empire endured. In war and peace we have thrived. Against overwhelming odds we evolved. No matter what we face we have always survived and grown. We shall always be triumphant." -Emperor Godfrey II

Hope for a brighter tomorrow - fight the fight, find the cure

Briarcliffe Falls
Envoy

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Briarcliffe Falls » Thu May 03, 2012 12:34 am

I think Pennsylvania could. And several others too...too lazy to list them all right now :p

The Roman Alliance
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Roman Alliance » Thu May 03, 2012 12:39 am

Alaska:

1. Extensive oil wealth.
2. Close (trade) proximity to Canada and Asia.
3. Social welfare (I.e. Dividend) checks provided to citizens from oil royalties.
4. A small and relatively homogeneous population.
5. A relatively low jobless rate with a high per capita income.

The Roman Alliance
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Roman Alliance » Thu May 03, 2012 12:42 am

California would be crash within a year. California is America's version of Spain. They need to rely on the Federal Reserve (I.e. American Dollar), federal government aid and redistribution and the federal government's perceived guarantee on Californian State Debt and Municipal Bond Markets.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Thu May 03, 2012 12:42 am

The Roman Alliance wrote:California would be crash within a year. California is America's version of Spain. They need to rely on the Federal Reserve (I.e. American Dollar), federal government aid and redistribution and the federal government's perceived guarantee on Californian State Debt and Municipal Bond Markets.

Actually, California is a net contributor, getting only 78 cents back for every dollar it gives to the government. If California were independent, our budget would be larger by 28% since we wouldn't be giving all our money away to the feds.
Last edited by Arumdaum on Thu May 03, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Natair
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Natair » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Qazox wrote:
Shrekodude wrote:Alaska: they pretty much are their own country, the Eskimo Express takes years to get news to them so they basically run themselves without the national government interfering. I heard Sarah Palin is the only Alaskan to have a telephone.

Just kidding, no offense to any Alaskans.

Dude, there's no Alaskans on the internet. ;)

Oh, really? :eyebrow:
Proud AFKer since 2013
Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
I'm just going to say this now and get it out of the way: Mods, Admins, and Mentors are not out to get you. There is no conspiracy. They're not going to waste their time and energy on one insignificant human being who's feeling sorry for themself. The world ain't out to get you; you're just paranoid.

No-Ghost Zone
Envoy

Founded: May 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby No-Ghost Zone » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:55 pm

New Mexico
Economic Left/Right: 6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.15

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Before the lock (so unfair), I say PA.

We have lots of high quality anthracite coal, lots of high grade oil, some of the best diverse hardwood forests in North America, a deep water seaport, lots of water, more miles of paved road per capita than any other state (the last I checked), Well respected and long established institutions of higher learning, excellent hospitals including the world leader in pediatric transplant surgery, one of the leading centers for study and development of cybernetics and robotics (Carnegie-Mellon U.), temperate climate, moderate crime (not ideal, but below the national average), and a tradition of religious tolerance and mutual aid (thanks to Penn and Franklin).
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General