NATION

PASSWORD

Countries/regions you think should be independent?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sat May 12, 2012 4:58 am

Valdehmar wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

Yeah, no idea why we might have negative impressions of Scot Nats. :roll:

They aren't Nationalists. Most of the people I know are Torries.

you could be a tory nationalist

you'd be an idiot, but you could be
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Soleichunn
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 11, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Soleichunn » Sat May 12, 2012 5:36 am

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:
Zilania wrote:Kashmir

I support, but we know that both India and Pakistan would just invade anyway, leading to the war we've been trying to avoid since India's independence.

Don't forget Chinese Kashmir (though to be fair, it's only serious use is as a buffer zone).

Valdehmar
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valdehmar » Sat May 12, 2012 5:45 am

Souseiseki wrote:
Valdehmar wrote:
They aren't Nationalists. Most of the people I know are Torries.

you could be a tory nationalist

I was referring to the fact that none of them support independence, none of them like the SNP and they still all hate the English. They are all members of the Scottish Conservative Party while I'm part of the Scottish Nationalist Party and full support independence.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sat May 12, 2012 5:46 am

Valdehmar wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:you could be a tory nationalist

I'm part of the Scottish Nationalist Party and full support independence.

Why?
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Valdehmar
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Valdehmar » Sat May 12, 2012 5:48 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Valdehmar wrote:I'm part of the Scottish Nationalist Party and full support independence.

Why?

I support independence because we have the economy for it, large national support for it and because I believe that we should be given the chance to succeed or fail on our own merits.

Towers
Diplomat

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Towers » Sat May 12, 2012 6:12 am

Valdehmar wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
Why?

I support independence because we have the economy for it, large national support for it and because I believe that we should be given the chance to succeed or fail on our own merits.

Just because we can does not mean we should.

30% ish isn't what I would call large, it's not even majority.

"Our own merits"? What's that supposed to mean? Was succeeding as a union not enough for you, what have we got to prove?
Every day until you like it.

Fear our mighty Tower-based society!

Valdehmar
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Valdehmar » Sat May 12, 2012 6:17 am

Towers wrote:
Valdehmar wrote:

"Our own merits"? What's that supposed to mean? Was succeeding as a union not enough for you, what have we got to prove?

Of course it doesn't mean we should, but the desire for independence appears to be slowly growing, and there has always been a niggling part of the country that desires independence. 30% is a massive portion! You'd have to be delusional to not acknowledge that over 2.1 million people are asking for it. Our own merits being our supplies of oil and our (compared to the rest of the UK) booming economy.

We have nothing to prove, I just believe that we should have the opportunity to at least try for independence if the nation should desire it.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sat May 12, 2012 6:23 am

Valdehmar wrote:
Towers wrote:

Of course it doesn't mean we should, but the desire for independence appears to be slowly growing, and there has always been a niggling part of the country that desires independence. 30% is a massive portion! You'd have to be delusional to not acknowledge that over 2.1 million people are asking for it. Our own merits being our supplies of oil and our (compared to the rest of the UK) booming economy.

We have nothing to prove, I just believe that we should have the opportunity to at least try for independence if the nation should desire it.

But why not unite as a greater entity? Scotland isn't going to have its own seat on the UN Security council. Even if you're a pacifist it's just another example of why being a small country isn't good.
Lurking NSG since 2005

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Sedikal
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sedikal » Sat May 12, 2012 6:25 am

Petrovsegratsk wrote:
Chinese Regions wrote:You can't divide Britain, China, USA, Serbia, Georgia and many others without them saying you can either.
I'm still intrigued why a Russian does not support Serbia.

Look, I like the Serbs, it's just, they mistreat the Kosovoanezeaniteians. Or whatever. What did Kosovo ever do to Serbia?

Well kosovo is made up of mostly albanians. And as most people know Serbs and albanians don't get along very well. I don't know who started it first but its the way it is. This is coming from a kid how lived in a town on the border with kosovo and the albanians shot the place up all the time
Nice Little Quotes
“Kindness is the golden chain by which society is bound together.”
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Yet human intelligence has another force, too: the sense of urgency that gives human smarts their drive. Perhaps our intelligence is not just ended by our mortality; to a great degree, it is our mortality.
-Adam Gopnik

Fighting for peace, is like fucking for chastity
-Stephen King

Proud Member of the New Democrats in the NSG Senate
Political Compass of Sedikal
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!

Turchynov/Yatsenyuk
Russia Out Of Crimea

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sat May 12, 2012 7:51 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Valdehmar wrote:

But why not unite as a greater entity? Scotland isn't going to have its own seat on the UN Security council. Even if you're a pacifist it's just another example of why being a small country isn't good.

oh no

not the un security council
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Valdehmar
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Valdehmar » Sat May 12, 2012 7:56 am

Souseiseki wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

oh no

It's because everyone totally cares if they're not in the UN council. :clap:

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sat May 12, 2012 8:07 am

Valdehmar wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:oh no

I added the last part for a reason. :palm:

The Scots Nats should consider working together instead of wanting independence just for the sake of it. Since when did small nations have space programs or creating their own military hardware? (again, it's just an example, you could use a non-military one if you'd like)
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sat May 12, 2012 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Valdehmar
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Valdehmar » Sat May 12, 2012 8:11 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Valdehmar wrote:

I added the last part for a reason.

The Scots Nats should consider working together instead of wanting independence just for the sake of it.

I fail to see why. They are working towards independence because they are sick of the English. I'm going to suppose that's because England has powers over Scotland that they probably shouldn't have, and because we don't have full control over our own country. Plus, Scotland has never really wanted to be a part of the UK for a while, what do you think we fought them 3 times for?

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sat May 12, 2012 8:15 am

Valdehmar wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
I added the last part for a reason.

The Scots Nats should consider working together instead of wanting independence just for the sake of it.

I fail to see why. They are working towards independence because they are sick of the English. I'm going to suppose that's because England has powers over Scotland that they probably shouldn't have, and because we don't have full control over our own country. Plus, Scotland has never really wanted to be a part of the UK for a while, what do you think we fought them 3 times for?

"England having powers over Scotland" Have you not heard of the West Lothian question? And why is racism a good cause for independence? And what do medieval battles have to do with this? I thought SNP supporters were above that sort of fallacy.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sat May 12, 2012 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Valdehmar
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Valdehmar » Sat May 12, 2012 8:20 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Valdehmar wrote:

"England having powers over Scotland" Have you not heard of the West Lothian question? And why is racism a good cause for independence? And what do medieval battles have to do with this? I thought SNP supporters were above that sort of fallacy.

That's a fucking stupid angle of thinking. You classify being sick of a country that has opressed us over the centuries racism? By that logic, the Polish were racist for complaining about being killed by Germans, that doesn't make sense. I'm just going to drop the common example that if a Scottish athlete wins he's British, but if he loses he's Scottish. The government down in London seems to think that we need to be treated the same as them, which is completely unjust and untrue because never once have I seen a parliamentary policy enacted in England that had UK wide effects go down silently and without complaint in my region.

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sat May 12, 2012 8:21 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Valdehmar wrote:

The West Lothian question? One constitutional mess up after centuries of Scotland having no parliament, while retaining control of defence, nuclear weapons, foreign affairs, etc. etc. etc.

That's your best response?

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sat May 12, 2012 8:23 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Valdehmar wrote:

i mean if you want to establish that the UK is institutionally unfair to scotland AND england and should be destroyed through being completely overhauled or destroyed through independence then you did a good job i guess. well. you did a half-assed job, but it's the thought that counts. not that that was your thought. but oh fuck it.

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sat May 12, 2012 8:24 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Valdehmar wrote:

one arguably deliberate constitutional mess up set up by english politicians in their own self-interest

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sat May 12, 2012 8:25 am

“There is only one clear answer to the West Lothian Question and that is for both Scotland and England to be fully in charge of their affairs by becoming independent and equal nations - that is the best and fairest solution and one that the commission should be able to consider.

“Given the terms of reference of the commission, it is regrettable that none of its members have direct experience or involvement with the devolved administrations.

“SNP MPs already refrain from voting on exclusively English, Welsh and Northern Irish matters, which do not impact on Scotland. This self-denying ordinance stands in stark contrast to Labour, Lib Dem and Tory MPs who, to date, have been happy to impose their will on the other nations of the UK.

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Sat May 12, 2012 8:50 am

Valdehmar wrote:I fail to see why. They are working towards independence because they are sick of the English. I'm going to suppose that's because England has powers over Scotland that they probably shouldn't have, and because we don't have full control over our own country. Plus, Scotland has never really wanted to be a part of the UK for a while, what do you think we fought them 3 times for?

I assume you refer to the Jacobite Rebellions yes?
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Valdehmar
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Valdehmar » Sat May 12, 2012 8:52 am

Cromarty wrote:
Valdehmar wrote:I fail to see why. They are working towards independence because they are sick of the English. I'm going to suppose that's because England has powers over Scotland that they probably shouldn't have, and because we don't have full control over our own country. Plus, Scotland has never really wanted to be a part of the UK for a while, what do you think we fought them 3 times for?

I assume you refer to the Jacobite Rebellions yes?

I am referring to those, and to the Scottish Wars of Independence.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sat May 12, 2012 8:55 am

Valdehmar wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

That's a fucking stupid angle of thinking. You classify being sick of a country that has opressed us over the centuries racism?

Scotland gets lots of advantages over England such as free university education and free medical prescriptions, Scottish MPs can vote on English matters while English MPs can't vote on Scottish matters (apart from on powers which aren't devolved.) and before Cameron Britain had a Scottish Prime Minister. How is that oppression? I know that Scotland had wars with England but that's just medieval history, and yes it is racism just as it's racist to still call Germans Nazis.

I'm just going to drop the common example that if a Scottish athlete wins he's British, but if he loses he's Scottish.

I could equality cite examples where people have used the Scottish flag/name where the British flag/name would have been more appropriate; your point? I don't agree with that Olympic thing either, but it's hardly "opressionz!!1"
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sat May 12, 2012 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Valdehmar
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Valdehmar » Sat May 12, 2012 8:58 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Valdehmar wrote:
That's a fucking stupid angle of thinking. You classify being sick of a country that has opressed us over the centuries racism?

Scotland gets lots of advantages over England such as free university education and free medical prescriptions, Scottish MPs can vote on English matters while English MPs can't vote on Scottish matters (apart from on powers which aren't devolved.) and before Cameron Britain had a Scottish Prime Minister. How is that oppression? I know that Scotland had wars with England but that's just medieval history, and yes it is racism just as it's racist to still call Germans Nazis.

I'm just going to drop the common example that if a Scottish athlete wins he's British, but if he loses he's Scottish.

I could equality cite examples where people have used the Scottish flag/name where the British flag/name would have been aproupriate; your point? I don't agree with that Olympic thing either, but it's hardly "opressionz!!1"

Are you serious? In the 19th century they placed laws that forbade weapons and kilts and most traditional happenings. They cleared out a huge swathe of our population because they decided that sheep were a better way of making money. If that isn't opression, then I've no idea what is.

Leepaidamba
Minister

Founded: Sep 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Leepaidamba » Sat May 12, 2012 8:59 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Valdehmar wrote:

I added the last part for a reason. :palm:

The Scots Nats should consider working together instead of wanting independence just for the sake of it. Since when did small nations have space programs or creating their own military hardware? (again, it's just an example, you could use a non-military one if you'd like)

Your space program point is moot. The UK doesn't have a space program and instead cooperates in ESA, which an independent Scotland still can. I have seen small countries have space programs, through cooperation, not through annexation.
Factbook
Official name: the Grand Duchy of Leepaidamba
Short name: Amba
AKA: the Grand Duchy
Demonym: Leepaidamban/Amban
HoS: co-Grand Dukes David I and Anna I
HoG: Premier Jaap de Waal
Region: Nederland
Map by PB
FlagsNational animal: Rabit
National motto: "Paene est non." (Almost is not)
National anthem: " 't Lied der Vrijheid" (the Song of Freedom)
CapitalsCurrency: Amban Florin/Aƒ
Languages
Dependencies
No news

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sat May 12, 2012 9:02 am

Scotland gets lots of advantages over England such as free university education and free medical prescriptions,

Again, this is a result of the selfish machination of English politicians and different "party" platforms.

Scottish MPs can vote on English matters while English MPs can't vote on Scottish matters (apart from on powers which aren't devolved.)

And for ~300 years, there were no devolved powers. The SNP refuses to vote on English matters.

[quite]and before Cameron Britain had a Scottish Prime Minister. [/quote]
Oh what a crock of shit.

How is that oppression?

I won't say Scotland is oppressed, however I will say your implication that England has no powers over Scotland is wrong (INCOMING NAKDOR BEEP BOOP ENGLAND HAS NO POWERS!!!) and your attempt to imply that Scotland is one with the power is either 1) massively ignorant of historical context, 2) deliberately ignoring how the situation came to be, 3) ignoring reserved powers 4) cherry picking, 6) a good argument for independence or 5) all of the above.

or in short

http://i.imgur.com/19e8M.jpg
Last edited by Souseiseki on Sat May 12, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General