NATION

PASSWORD

Christian disscussion thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

You are a?

Catholic
29%
Mormon
2%
Orthodox
7%
Baptist
11%
Evangelical
5%
Presbyterian
3%
Lutheran
7%
Episcopal
3%
Society Of Friends (Quaker)
3%
Other(Other denomination, not other religion, only other Christian denominations)
30%

Total votes : 732

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Galborg wrote:
Seperates wrote:Meh, that's because they are too fantastic. Your miracle stories have to be believable for any religion to truely set itself up for the larger massses. *nods*

A man is born of a virgin is believable? A man dies and resurrects is believable? When we eat bread and wine we are cannibals is believable?

Penn and Teller can turn clay pigeons into live pigeons every day and three times on Sundays.

More believable to the people of 325 A.D.

And the bread and wine thing only occurs after transubstantiation... and even then it is only the literal if you are Catholic or Eastern Orthodox.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Idealismania
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Idealismania » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:39 pm

non-denominational christian here!

Bordurian
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bordurian » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Seperates wrote:
Bordurian wrote:One thing I don't understand. As a devout Catholic I have one question, is purgatory mentioned in the Bible? I've read it cover to cover many times but never found anything.

, just because you've read the Bible, that isn't enough for you to understand the more deep meanings and relationships with God and the truest nature of the afterlife.

I don't think anybody understands it.
Signed: Stefan III of Bordurian Grand Duke of Małapolska Duke of Bratislava Lord of Bohemia Baron of Zakopane, order of the Bear and of the Holy cross, His Holy Catholic Majesty Stefan III
Left -2.69
Authoritarian 3.45
[/floatleft]
Winners of the Free South Califas Roller Hockey Tournament
Participant in the 61st cup of Harmony,the 48th Baptisim of
Fire, the 19th Rugby Union world cup and World Cup 62
History, Geography, Reading, European
holidays, running, soccer, golf and Badminton

Terraius
Minister

Founded: Oct 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Terraius » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Seperates wrote:
Bordurian wrote:One thing I don't understand. As a devout Catholic I have one question, is purgatory mentioned in the Bible? I've read it cover to cover many times but never found anything.

Not really. It is more of a historical trend based more apon Church rituals and doctrine rather than on the Bible. Especially if you are Catholic (which I was) you should already know that only Church ordained ministers and priests is the only ones who are allowed to interpret the text, with a standard being set by the Pope and other religious officials in the Vatican. So in essence, just because you've read the Bible, that isn't enough for you to understand the more deep meanings and relationships with God and the truest nature of the afterlife.

Of course, as an atheist I think that is all a load of bullshit... but to each their own, no?

That is partially incorrect and a perpetuated myth that the Catholic church tries to censer the laity from reading the bible. Commentary and instruction is provided in Catholic bibles and studies so that deeper meanings can be extracted, yes. If everyone interpreted the bible they way they wanted, it would be a mad, chaotic, disorganized mess, and my point can be proven at the 30,000+ protestant/evangelical denominations who split over theological nick-knacks, versus Catholic/Orthodox/High Anglican traditions which are severed on a more ecclesiastical basis then theological one.
The Archregimancy wrote:Terraius is also a Catholic heretic personally responsible for the Fourth Crusade.
Lupelia wrote:Terraius: best Byzantine nation for weather.
Yeah I really like planet consuming Warp storms myself.

A Nationstates-II FT Roleplay

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Idealismania wrote:non-denominational christian here!

So basically, your belief is "I <3 Jesus + God", without any other speculation or insight into the nature of the divine, believing that being a member of a religion should be as easy as becoming a follower on Twitter?

That's cool, I guess.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

An Slanaitheoir
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby An Slanaitheoir » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Bordurian wrote:
Seperates wrote:, just because you've read the Bible, that isn't enough for you to understand the more deep meanings and relationships with God and the truest nature of the afterlife.

That is half the point of them being one to rely on when interpretating the Bible. The have spent more time focusing on religious things that the Laity does, and so have more knowledge in those areas.
"I am Patrick, a sinner, most uncultivated and least of all the faithful and despised in the eyes of many." ― St.Patrick

6% Cosmopolitan
43% Fundamentalist
5% Reactionary
8% Anarchistic
2% Communistic
14% Pacifist
4% Anthropocentric
My Political test results
My Political test results 2

If you care, the pronuciation is "an slawnihore"

Idealismania
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Idealismania » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Bordurian wrote:
Seperates wrote:, just because you've read the Bible, that isn't enough for you to understand the more deep meanings and relationships with God and the truest nature of the afterlife.

I would imagine it would take eternity to understand the nature of a being that created and is all of existance.

Terraius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terraius » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Seperates wrote:
Idealismania wrote:non-denominational christian here!

So basically, your belief is "I <3 Jesus + God", without any other speculation or insight into the nature of the divine, believing that being a member of a religion should be as easy as becoming a follower on Twitter?

That's cool, I guess.

As much as I hate the concept of heretical non-denominational 'Christians', that is borderline insulting which is not needed
The Archregimancy wrote:Terraius is also a Catholic heretic personally responsible for the Fourth Crusade.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:45 pm

Terraius wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Not really. It is more of a historical trend based more apon Church rituals and doctrine rather than on the Bible. Especially if you are Catholic (which I was) you should already know that only Church ordained ministers and priests is the only ones who are allowed to interpret the text, with a standard being set by the Pope and other religious officials in the Vatican. So in essence, just because you've read the Bible, that isn't enough for you to understand the more deep meanings and relationships with God and the truest nature of the afterlife.

Of course, as an atheist I think that is all a load of bullshit... but to each their own, no?

That is partially incorrect and a perpetuated myth that the Catholic church tries to censer the laity from reading the bible. Commentary and instruction is provided in Catholic bibles and studies so that deeper meanings can be extracted, yes. If everyone interpreted the bible they way they wanted, it would be a mad, chaotic, disorganized mess, and my point can be proven at the 30,000+ protestant/evangelical denominations who split over theological nick-knacks, versus Catholic/Orthodox/High Anglican traditions which are severed on a more ecclesiastical basis then theological one.

They don't censor it. They just don't consider them true Catholics/true Christians (because most Catholics and other denominations are under the impression that theirs is the only correct interpretation) if they interpret it differently. Don't believe in indulgences? Then you are a Lutheran. Pre-destination? Calvinism. etc. etc. etc.

I never said they censored it. They just discourage it if you want to stay a part of the Catholic community.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Bordurian wrote:

That's the point.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Terraius wrote:
Seperates wrote:So basically, your belief is "I <3 Jesus + God", without any other speculation or insight into the nature of the divine, believing that being a member of a religion should be as easy as becoming a follower on Twitter?

That's cool, I guess.

As much as I hate the concept of heretical non-denominational 'Christians', that is borderline insulting which is not needed

I take religious ideas very seriously. It is part of the reason I am an atheist.

Terraius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terraius » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Seperates wrote:
Terraius wrote:

They don't censor it. They just don't consider them true Catholics/true Christians (because most Catholics and other denominations are under the impression that theirs is the only correct interpretation) if they interpret it differently. Don't believe in indulgences? Then you are a Lutheran. Pre-destination? Calvinism. etc. etc. etc.

I never said they censored it. They just discourage it if you want to stay a part of the Catholic community.

I think that goes without saying. If you dont believe/agree with X tenant of Y organization, what is the point of belonging to them in the first place?

Terraius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terraius » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Also the Church does not consider non-Catholics as not being apart of the Christian tradition. Orthodox and High Anglicans are considered in an ecclesiastical schism, i.e., a non theological separation which stems over administrative and practical aspects of church governance than anything else.

Outside of that, Nicene Creed professing/Trinitarian Protestants are considered 'Christians in Ecclesiastical communities outside of the Church', moreless a half step above full-blown heresy, but nonetheless recognizes that they are in their own right Christians

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:51 pm

An Slanaitheoir wrote:
Bordurian wrote:I don't think anybody understands it.

That is half the point of them being one to rely on when interpretating the Bible. The have spent more time focusing on religious things that the Laity does, and so have more knowledge in those areas.

Really? You would think that they would try to apply the fundemental aspects of the natural world to their reading habits, but then again... they don't study the physical.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Terraius wrote:
Seperates wrote:They don't censor it. They just don't consider them true Catholics/true Christians (because most Catholics and other denominations are under the impression that theirs is the only correct interpretation) if they interpret it differently. Don't believe in indulgences? Then you are a Lutheran. Pre-destination? Calvinism. etc. etc. etc.

I think that goes without saying. If you dont believe/agree with X tenant of Y organization, what is the point of belonging to them in the first place?

But that is exactly what I said in the first place.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Terraius wrote:Also the Church does not consider non-Catholics as not being apart of the Christian tradition. Orthodox and High Anglicans are considered in an ecclesiastical schism, i.e., a non theological separation which stems over administrative and practical aspects of church governance than anything else.

Outside of that, Nicene Creed professing/Trinitarian Protestants are considered 'Christians in Ecclesiastical communities outside of the Church', moreless a half step above full-blown heresy, but nonetheless recognizes that they are in their own right Christians

Oh certaintly... They are just "misguided" in their faith. I am well aware of how the congregation and Church thinks. As well, Jehovah's Witnesses, while believing in many things contrary to Catholic doctrine, are not considered heretical, but a part of the Catholic Church.

Terraius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terraius » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Seperates wrote:
An Slanaitheoir wrote:That is half the point of them being one to rely on when interpretating the Bible. The have spent more time focusing on religious things that the Laity does, and so have more knowledge in those areas.

Really? You would think that they would try to apply the fundemental aspects of the natural world to their reading habits, but then again... they don't study the physical.

Well they do, the Church isnt confined to only interpreting the bible

Terraius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terraius » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Seperates wrote:
Terraius wrote:Also the Church does not consider non-Catholics as not being apart of the Christian tradition. Orthodox and High Anglicans are considered in an ecclesiastical schism, i.e., a non theological separation which stems over administrative and practical aspects of church governance than anything else.

Oh certaintly... They are just "misguided" in their faith. I am well aware of how the congregation and Church thinks. As well, Jehovah's Witnesses, while believing in many things contrary to Catholic doctrine, are not considered heretical, but a part of the Catholic Church.

That is false, Jehovah's Witnesses are not Catholic as they do not profess the Nicene-Constantinoplian creed and are considered non-Trinitarian and therefore, heretical and outside of the Church's grace/sphere

Birkinghamia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Birkinghamia » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:58 pm

An Slanaitheoir wrote:
Birkinghamia wrote:Alright, but shouldn't Christian truth be based on the Bible so that we do know is for sure correct?

If we can use the logic that you provided, couldn't I come up with a new denomination that has rituals not ascribed in the Bible?

Besides, doesn't the Catholic Church still sell indulgences? ;)

Still sell indulgences? Where did you hear that. I saw an indulgence crucifix recently, and I think that might the furthest extent of selling indulgences now a days (as it was being sold in a gift store for the Mary, Queen of the Universe Basilica down here).

I did not say anything about rituals not in the bible, you did (or the person who first asked the question).

I thought you were trying to justify the position of the Catholic Church...but I guess not...so never mind :P
Economic Left/Right: 0.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67

Christian, moderate, New Yorker.
Ich spreche Deutsch.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:00 pm

Terraius wrote:
Seperates wrote:Oh certaintly... They are just "misguided" in their faith. I am well aware of how the congregation and Church thinks. As well, Jehovah's Witnesses, while believing in many things contrary to Catholic doctrine, are not considered heretical, but a part of the Catholic Church.

That is false, Jehovah's Witnesses are not Catholic as they do not profess the Nicene-Constantinoplian creed and are considered non-Trinitarian and therefore, heretical and outside of the Church's grace/sphere

Wait a tick... :palm: Never mind, I was thinking of another group whose name I can no longer recall. I withdraw my comment.

Birkinghamia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Birkinghamia » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:02 pm

Terraius wrote:

90% of what is held within the Catholic faith is not found in the bible, the Catholic church does not operate under 'Sola Scriptora' (Only Scripture), it takes into account Apostolic tradition (Things which the apostles and successors practiced) and Magisterial teaching/interpretation (Synod/Councils of Bishops and the Pontiffs)

Birkinghamia wrote:Alright, but shouldn't Christian truth be based on the Bible so that we do know is for sure correct?

If we can use the logic that you provided, couldn't I come up with a new denomination that has rituals not ascribed in the Bible?

Besides, doesn't the Catholic Church still sell indulgences? ;)

Sola Scriptora is a Protestant concept that agrees with using only the Bible as source of truth, whereas the Catholic, Orthodox, and some Anglican churches do not follow that concept and incorporate apostolic tradition.

Funnily enough- the Bible is never mentioned in the Bible itself. Weird how things work out, eh

Well, the Bible is God's word, right? So:

John 5:24 (NIV), "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."

There are other ones that mention the Word, too. That's just one example.
Last edited by Birkinghamia on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67

Christian, moderate, New Yorker.
Ich spreche Deutsch.

Baekche
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Baekche » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:02 pm

I was "raised" a Christian, in particular non-denomination. I use the term raised loosely, because my parents never talked about it. I only started going to church when I was 11, after my grandma died my dad started taking us weekly. I started to go to a Catholic Church weekly with my friend, because I didn't like the church my dad was taking us too. I loved it, and wanted to convert... But skip forward a few years, and I stopped practising and became a Buddhist, which I still practice.

Terraius
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Terraius » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:06 pm

John 5:24 (NIV), "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."

Well yes, to the Protestant ear that gratifies the need to only believe in the bible/faith only, but the Catholic intellectual tradition is not satisfied with such a conclusion, and would ask the following;

What is it to truly 'Believe'? To simply say one believes in Christ, or to actually apply good works to good faith?

To hear the 'word', in and of itself is fine, but not applying the word to life and religious practices? I.e, the mass, corporal acts of mercy, etc., ontop of professing the creed of faith? Would faith not be dead if one only 'heard the word' but did nothing to change his life to apply the word to good works and be a beacon of light to others?

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:11 pm

Birkinghamia wrote:
Terraius wrote:
90% of what is held within the Catholic faith is not found in the bible, the Catholic church does not operate under 'Sola Scriptora' (Only Scripture), it takes into account Apostolic tradition (Things which the apostles and successors practiced) and Magisterial teaching/interpretation (Synod/Councils of Bishops and the Pontiffs)

Sola Scriptora is a Protestant concept that agrees with using only the Bible as source of truth, whereas the Catholic, Orthodox, and some Anglican churches do not follow that concept and incorporate apostolic tradition.

Funnily enough- the Bible is never mentioned in the Bible itself. Weird how things work out, eh

Well, the Bible is God's word, right? So:

There are other ones that mention the Word, too. That's just one example.

Of course, that begs the question of whether I should believe Jesus or John merely on their insistance that "Well, if you don't believe in me you will be condemned, so there."

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Terraius wrote:

Well yes, to the Protestant ear that gratifies the need to only believe in the bible/faith only, but the Catholic intellectual tradition is not satisfied with such a conclusion, and would ask the following;

What is it to truly 'Believe'? To simply say one believes in Christ, or to actually apply good works to good faith?

To hear the 'word', in and of itself is fine, but not applying the word to life and religious practices? I.e, the mass, corporal acts of mercy, etc., ontop of professing the creed of faith? Would faith not be dead if one only 'heard the word' but did nothing to change his life to apply the word to good works and be a beacon of light to others?

Well, of course. But then why not just do good works without belief?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General